The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Premier GA-800G
Old 12th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
You guys are funny!

Since when has a clone ever sounded like the original? High end clones like flea and telefunken USA (with it's outrageous price points) is not spot on the vintage they try to emulate. If you want the real deal just buy it and be done with it...
Some can and actually do. I suggest you suspend your disbelief and bias and check stuff out you might come away quite surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Looking forward also to Paul G's review. IMHO again, it would have helped GAP, to have put a Sony C800G right next to the GAP-When we tested it.
Chris
I had the GA800 against the Sony C800G all day today and the results were unexpected.

The build is incredible, it looks and feels exactly like the Sony.

The sound however is quite different though, it has a mellower top end and although the Sony is harsh and can appear brash, it has a depth of field that the GAP lacked.
I feel that the GAP went for a smoother, classier sound but we love the Sony because it is unlike any other, like it or not, it jumps out and grabs you by the throat.
It's a real shame because if the GAP had nailed the sound they would have a 1:1 perfect replica.
The PSU does not have the tubes of the Sony but it is very nice and compact and the packaging for the mic is top notch.
Maybe a REV 2.0 could achieve the perfect sound.
The Capsule appears much larger than that of the Sony, I'm not sure how this affects the sound?
It seemed to get closer with a greater proximity but not quite close enough.

I still feel the AA is the best sounding clone I have heard so far.....
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I had the GA800 against the Sony C800G all day today and the results were unexpected.

The sound however is quite different though, it has a mellower top end and although the Sony is harsh and can appear brash, it has a depth of field that the GAP lacked.
I feel that the GAP went for a smoother, classier sound but we love the Sony because it is unlike any other, like it or not, it jumps out and grabs you by the throat.
It's a real shame because if the GAP had nailed the sound they would have a 1:1 perfect replica.
The PSU does not have the tubes of the Sony but it is very nice and compact and the packaging for the mic is top notch.
The Capsule appears much larger than that of the Sony, I'm not sure how this affects the sound?

Thanks for the info Paul! That’s disappointing to hear.. Any chance you could post some samples of the GA and the Sony?

Cheers!
Quote:

Hi Paul..Thank you review. Would you say that the AA 800 is a better 1:1 match of the Sony C800 than the GAP G800?

KP

Last edited by KP2020; 12th March 2020 at 11:10 PM..
Old 12th March 2020
Here for the gear

*sony c800g clone shootout answer key*

a = aa cm800t
b = stam sa800
c = golden age ga800g
d = sony c800g
e = chandler redd
Old 12th March 2020
Here for the gear

**sony c800g clone shootout answer key**

a = aa cm800t
b = stam sa800
c = golden age ga800g
d = sony c800g
e = chandler redd
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsfiasco View Post

a = aa cm800t
b = stam sa800
c = golden age ga800g
d = sony c800g
e = chandler redd
Thanks for sharing! Interesting reading through the guesses, seems like C was definitely the top favored/brightest/considered being the Sony..
Quote:

a = aa cm800t
b = stam sa800
c = golden age ga800g
d = sony c800g
e = chandler redd
The plot thickens
wow I was waaayy off.

Quote:
*sony c800g clone shootout answer key*

a = aa cm800t
b = stam sa800
c = golden age ga800g
d = sony c800g
e = chandler redd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollivolli View Post
Thanks for sharing! Interesting reading through the guesses, seems like C was definitely the top favored/brightest/considered being the Sony..
Odd as I had the opposite experience with the 2 mics today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 View Post
Hi Psul..Thank you review. Would you say that the AA 800 is a better 1:1 match of the Sony C800 than the GAP G800?

KP
Given my guess I'd say yes the AA is sonically 1:1.
It just doesn't have the look of a laser gun.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only one person guessed C was the Sony. One person speculated that C and E could be two different C800Gs, and another guessed that those two were the GAP and Sony.

C and E were favored in this test because, quite simply, they sound better. Less room tone, less weird congested/resonant sound, more clarity throughout the midrange.

These are all great mics. Put them in different hands in a different room with different talent, and I guarantee you'll get completely different results.

Like any other online shootout, this shouldn't be considered a definitive evaluation of which mic is "better," but rather, a fun way to get an idea of how certain mics might stack up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Some can and actually do. I suggest you suspend your disbelief and bias and check stuff out you might come away quite surprised.
Please show the way to some clips because I haven't heard any nailing the vintage smoothness. Sibilance always tell which one is the clone. A clone can still be classy and awesome but the legends have earned their reputation.

I can understand that someone doesn't want to shell out 2-3x times as much as a vintage cost but buying say a T-funk USA for as much as a vintage is just mad.
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

I wondered if "Mic A", had needed to brought up a little closer to Andrew...
To make it sound fuller.

On a Blue Blueberry, 2-4" is typical for best results!
Chris
Here for the gear

Quote:
Odd as I had the opposite experience with the 2 mics today.
Hi Paul, since I really liked C and thought the GA800G had a nice airy top end, would it be possible for you to post some samples of your GA800g and the Sony C800?
Maybe without the resonances we could all have a better picture of the two mics.
Thanks!
Old 13th March 2020
Lives for gear

So the GAP is hereby revealed to be the Love Child offspring of a Sony C800G and....a (gasp) 44 ribbon!
Crille, cover your eyes!
Chris
Old 13th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I’ll cave and do a serious mic shootout via our SSL4056G+ console and a few clean preamps like the A-Designs pacifica and a Neve 1073DPD and one or two varieties like Avalon 737 and UA-610MK2 Signature Edition and a Chandler and maybe a few surprises which I will post of course with these mics.

Let me knlw if you want me to throw in a Brauner VM1 in the mix or we have U47 and U67 originals if anyone would like to hear those against these aswell in a blind test. Just post which mics you want in the shootout and if we can borrow a mic we dont own we will if possible. Here is our list of owned mics below:

Golden Age GA800G
Golden Age GA-251
Sony C800G (2008) new tubes 2018
REDD with NO preamp added
Manley Ref C ( new tubes 2019)
New Manley Silver 2020
Slate VMS ONE (C800G) emulation
Stam C800
WA-800
U47
U67 (borrowing that one if you wanna have it in the test)
Brauner VM1
Bock 47
Josephson C715

Thats our locker minus the U67 worth about €10.000 plus

And will do it in our PRO vocal Booth with no weird atifacts or room boom

Will ask a real artist male and female to run thru a few of our own song chorus as it might be against forum rules to use a released song either as a Cover or our original takes from Billboard top 10 artists which we recorded here in the same room with the same gear.

Will do one set or takes with only mics and 3 different preamps
And a set of takes with the preamps use a UA 1176 black and a UA LA2A very carefully depending on the singers as these mics will come alive even more with some carefully done recordings with the right vocal chain for these mics.

Will post after the weekend as i am greatful for itsmefiasco’s shootout but I am sceptic to the background noise and room boom so hang tight gang!

We will do really careful GAINSTAGING so all mics will sound as they should and have as close volume as the test can have. Will really take our time to do this perfectly..

Last edited by southsidemusic; 13th March 2020 at 02:05 AM..
Old 13th March 2020
Lives for gear

You could always do a Hip Hop/Rap version of Danny Boy (public domain), just in time for St. Paddy's.
Chris
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidemusic View Post
I’ll cave and do a serious mic shootout via our SSL4056G+ console and a few clean preamps like the A-Designs pacifica and a Neve 1073DPD and one or two varieties like Avalon 737 and UA-610MK2 Signature Edition and a Chandler and maybe a few surprises which I will post of course with these mics.

Let me knlw if you want me to throw in a Brauner VM1 in the mix or we have U47 and U67 originals if anyone would like to hear those against these aswell in a blind test. Just post which mics you want in the shootout and if we can borrow a mic we dont own we will if possible.our list of owned mics below:

Golden Age GA800G
Golden Age GA-251
New Manley Silver 2020
Stam C800
WA-800
U47
Brauner VM1
Bock 47
Josephson C715

Will ask a real artist male and female to run thru a few of our own song chorus as it might be against forum rules to use a released song either as a Cover or our original takes from Billboard top 10 artists which we recorded here in the same room with the same gear.

And a set of takes and with the preamps and slithtly used UA 1176 black and a UA LA2A as I think these mics will come alive even more with some carefully done recordings with the right vocal chain for these mics.

Will post after the weekend as i am greatful for itsmefiasco’s shootout but I am sceptic to the background noise and room boom so hang tight gang!
Wohoo! Would love to hear: GA 800, Sony 800, Manley Ref C and REDD
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
So the GAP is hereby revealed to be the Love Child offspring of a Sony C800G and....a (gasp) 44 ribbon!
Crille, cover your eyes!
Chris
with ribbons, it's more likely that parthenogenesis had occurred! DNA results could easily confirm this...
Lives for gear

My take away is that maybe with the exception of A [AA CM800T], which seemed less natural and open than the other mics, these are all pretty great mics. C [Golden Age GA800g] was my favorite but I'd be happy with any of B [Stam SA800], C [Golden Age GA800g], D [Sony C800G] or E [Chandler REDD]. C [Golden Age GA800g] and E [Chandler REDD] sounded the best to me and sounded very similar to each other. B [Stam SA800] sounds the closest to C and E but not quite as open. D [Sony C800G] sounds a little less clean but still sounds nice in a different way. A [AA CM800T] is my least favorite but it has some tough competition--I bet it would sound great on a female voice.

The above is an updated version of my earlier blind test results, updated to put in the names of the mics now that the key is out.
Lives for gear

People say AA is the closest to the Sony but this shootout shows a very different results. The aa actually sounds bad which is consistent with the audio kitchen results when it was up. That’s 2 examples that sound bad. Yet respected people here say its so close to the Sony.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Let me knlw if you want me to throw in a Brauner VM1 in the mix or we have U47 and U67 originals if anyone would like to hear those against these aswell in a blind test. Just post which mics you want in the shootout and if we can borrow a mic we dont own we will if possible. Here is our list of owned mics below:

Golden Age GA800G
Golden Age GA-251
New Manley Silver 2020
Stam C800
WA-800
U47
Brauner VM1
Bock 47
Josephson C715

And a set of takes with the preamps use a UA 1176 black and a UA LA2A very carefully depending on the singers as these mics will come alive even more with some carefully done recordings with the right vocal chain for these mics.

That would be amazing. I'd love it if you'd include the u67 for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
People say AA is the closest to the Sony but this shootout shows a very different results. The aa actually sounds bad which is consistent with the audio kitchen results when it was up. That’s 2 examples that sound bad. Yet respected people here say its so close to the Sony.

I heard the clips on the phone but will listen tonight on Focal Twins. Its between the AA 800 or Gap g800..Will see.. or hear lol.

Would love to hear Paul's examples!!

KP
Old 13th March 2020
Lives for gear

Ok I was there and I will state this the AA clip with Andrew I did not like during the session. Andrews voice did not work well with the Mic in my opinion. In fact I might have even suggested other mics for his voice if it was my recording of him. I do not do a lot of rap though I lean towards soul R&B, House, Pop and alt rock when it comes to doing Vocals recording wise.

As for E Money he sounded Fantastic on the AA and I felt his AA take was one of the better takes.
That particular AA Mic was purchased used and displayed an odd 10db down from the other Mics and had to boosted 10db at the Mic Pre to match the levels of the other Mics.

It is now on its way back to Dave Thomas for a once over as he said it was strange it was 10db down. He said either the pad switch was faulty which would explain the 10db drop or the Tube could be dying.

Either way I am the owner of that CM800T. Betweeen my father dying two years ago, moving and setting up a new room after I picked it up, I did not get a chance to really use it much.

Dave has great customer service and was like send it back up to me I will take care it of attitude.

I would not be surprised if when it came back it performed better and was up to Paul G’s evaluation of how the Mic should be.

The shootout was done rather than halting it for the sake of the 10DB difference from the Mic and quite honestly after comping all the tracks most of all of the Mics could have passed if comped with the real C800G tracks .

Yes it was that close there were minute differences leading to the kind of preferences stated in this thread but in the end the eye opener was non of us liked the GAP .
We all felt it was just lacking compared to the less expensive Mics in giving you that Sony C800G effect especially based on the cost.

If the GAP was say a $1500-2k Mic I could see owning one or getting it at $4500 its not worth the money.
On the other hand the CM800T even with it having a potential issue still performed well enough to comp it with C800g tracks. No one would be the wiser after processing.

Its a hell of a deal at $800 It was a pretty damn good deal at $610 which is what I paid for it. In that sense for what it delivered for the cost it was a winner in the shootout. No favored bias for owning it either.

This is my feelings from the shootout and several people in the room felt the same way.
No the booth was not perfect as it was also a new room and kinks were still being worked out yet it still did show the Mics and differences .

It was not my room but I was damn happy to be able to drop in and put into the shootout I came out of pretty damn happy about its performance even if it ws not perfect at the time.
Perhaps we can do another with it when Dave sends it back to me tuned back up.

Last edited by Dave_Ionic; 13th March 2020 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 13th March 2020
Lives for gear

Condolences, regarding your Dad's passing, D. Thanks so much, for your post.
Chris
Old 13th March 2020
I won't be posting any new examples up as I don't have the time. I use these mics all the time with exception of the sibilant Stam. I'm glad that like many the REDD was a favourite as that is to my ears is one of my ultimate favourites. It was the main stereo pair I used on my "Greedy Beats" breaks and beats pack.
It's a shame that the AA didn't shine but I know from direct experience that it is closer to the SONY imo. Check the Sony C100 thread for a good example.

If you're serious about these mics you'll demo them or purchase them and evaluate under correct conditions, ie. not next to a big window and using the correct proximities and volumes, preferably the same take.

I look forward to the Southside music shootout now and hope that it is a more accurate representation of whatever microphones are included.

It's just funny that a 90's Japanese microphone all these snobs like to talk trash about is so difficult to accurately replicate.

Cheers

Paul
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s disappointing to hear..
+1

The descriptions so far for what people are saying is missing from the sound of the GA-800G are the exact things that make the real Sony a special mic in the first place.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I won't be posting any new examples up as I don't have the time. I use these mics all the time with exception of the sibilant Stam. I'm glad that like many the REDD was a favourite as that is to my ears is one of my ultimate favourites. It was the main stereo pair I used on my "Greedy Beats" breaks and beats pack.
It's a shame that the AA didn't shine but I know from direct experience that it is closer to the SONY imo. Check the Sony C100 thread for a good example.

If you're serious about these mics you'll demo them or purchase them and evaluate under correct conditions, ie. not next to a big window and using the correct proximities and volumes, preferably the same take.

I look forward to the Southside music shootout now and hope that it is a more accurate representation of whatever microphones are included.

It's just funny that a 90's Japanese microphone all these snobs like to talk trash about is so difficult to accurately replicate.

Cheers

Paul
I cannot agree with you more about the REDD Paul. I know we have had a difference in the past but I respect your opinion a lot none the less. Like I said before I did not have the control in this situation yet I do not think it did not give so inaccurate representations.

I do think there could be a problem with my Mic having bought it used I was more than happy to send it off to Dave. Its already on its way to Canada.

Yet call out problems with the room fact is we came to the same conclusion about the GAP that others have since come to and it was prior to their posting about the GAP, but I did not share that for the sake of the shootout. In fact I refrained from posting till after the shootout was done as to not possibly wind up influencing peoples choices.

So it did show A: the GAP is over priced and over rated. B: the Stam while not bad its still more expensive and too long a wait .

Not including the fact that Stam has a habit of a habit of making a run of product and then not producing it anymore which leads one to wonder how they would service. It nor worth waiting for.

So like I said earlier the shootout did show that for the money vs the other copies the CM800T was a winner.

Stay healthy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ll cave and do a serious mic shootout via our SSL4056G+ console and a few clean preamps like the A-Designs pacifica and a Neve 1073DPD and one or two varieties like Avalon 737 and UA-610MK2 Signature Edition and a Chandler and maybe a few surprises which I will post of course with these mics...
Epic effort - thanks, can't wait.

Probably too late, and I can't get one to you myself, but grab a Gefell M990 if you can. Damn fine mic that punches above its weight.
📝 Reply