The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Premier GA-800G
Old 10th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Listening again and I found myself favoring E over C. My guess is that C is Redd and E c800. Interesting shootout, thanks again.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsfiasco View Post
Hey! Not my room. were only in the space for a night and had to record 5 different mics, so we kept it moving. Thanks for the notes although I probably wont be doing another one. Also, I think its helpful to hear how each mic picked up the room differently, I felt like the room sound did not make it too hard to pick up sonic character, everyones ears are different. Hopefully someone else will post a shoot out too.
Under these circumstances, a dynamic mic might possibly have delivered the most favorable result, as it picks less of the room sound.
Here for the gear

I guess that C and E are the Golden Age Premier GA800g and the Sony C800G.
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

A – This one sounds the most different of the bunch. REDD.
B – Sounds close to C but thinner. I think this is a clone. No idea which and I haven’t used the Stam or AA but I heard clips on audio tests. Im just guessing.
C – Sounds more hyped in the upper mids/highs. Its sharp to me. I can see why people would like this because it sounds eq’d to me but Im not convinced this is the sony like others are saying. This is the most balanced though. Like someone took an 800g and tried to make it a touch nicer.
D – I think I like this one best. I would say it has to be the sony because it sounds the best to me but I think this is the AA or GA. It has a more pronounced mid range to it that works in a mix I think.
E – Its quitter or it is a bit scooped in the mids which makes it have more air. This could be the sony 800 based on that. I don’t remember the 800g being a more quiet mic but I have very limited use with it. It sounds better on the rapper than the singer.

A – REDD
B – Stam
C – AA
D – GA
E - Sony

But I am going to listen at the studio later and see if I still agree.
Gear Head

My thoughts after listening to the "E Verse" files:

B and D both stand out for having bigger bottom end, which is what the Sony is known for, so guessing Sony and GA here. Not sure which is which. A sounds a bit more "compressed", and since the REDD already has a built in preamp, I'm guessing A is the REDD. Not so sure about C & E but they do sound very similar.

A: REDD
B: Sony C800g
C: AA
D: GA C800g
E: STAM
My Guess

Well here is my guess on the files

A : AA
B : GA C800G
C : REDD
D : Sony C800G
E : STAM
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

For anyone who hasn't matched the levels, lower D by 2 dB and raise E by 1 dB. That will get you in the neighborhood and likely change your opinions.

I limited myself to the Andrew lot since for some reason the E file of the E-Money lot wouldn't load for me. I also purposefully limited my options to the first "I think it's time to let go". Though since they were all different takes rather than positioning the mics nose to nose in a close star array and doing a slightly more distant single take, it's hard to accurately zero in on one phrase with confidence, or for that matter, conclude anything from this test. FWIW, I would not have chosen a 1073 since they are not the most neutral or revealing preamp. I appreciate the generous effort that went into doing this and that it was the first and purportedly last shoot out for yesitsfiasco, so thanks for the opportunity regardless.

Assuming the "clones" are doing their jobs, A is by far the most different and thus figured it was likely the REDD, though I would have assumed the REDD to sound better than this, though the context is challenging at best. It was thinner and brighter and had more room sound. Among the rest, C was the brightest, B was close behind, D and E were more muffled with E sounding the most distant. Under the circumstances, I would think that C is the Sony, just because i'm used to hearing that mic as bright and cutting and that was the only one that came across that way, other than A which was totally different from the rest, at least on the phrase that I chose to focus on. I'm tempted to say that E is the cheapest or at least the worst, as it seemed to be the least transparent. Since I have no experience with the rest of the mics, I have nothing else to add.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 14th March 2020 at 07:19 PM..
Gear Nut

I ordered a GA 800 for testing. But what is the switch at the back of the power supply for? I can't find any information. Ground lift?
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier GA-800G-15838769854894349956429740901809.jpg  

Last edited by Starstreet; 10th March 2020 at 11:13 PM..
Old 10th March 2020
Gear Maniac

the toggle switch on the rear is a ground lift for those hard to track ground loop hums
Old 11th March 2020
Here for the gear

I Really hope B isnt the GA 800 , Im listening with some pretty decent headphones and B sounds the least like a C800G, It lacks that signature airy-sheen the Sony is known for. All the rest sound pretty good and have more or less that sparkle. But its there. Anything but B .
Old 11th March 2020
after listening a few more times and comparing to the vocals I have tracked with my GA800 I'm changing my answers.

A: C800
B: G800
C: Stam800
D: REDD
E: AA800

So far the biggest difference I've noticed between using a C800 and a GA800 is that the the low end and low mids are tighter in the C800, and in the GA800 the top end is a bit more grainy.

Also want to add that there's a lot of rumble that gets picked up. Not sure if it's the shockmount or something else going on.

I'm on the fence about keeping the GA800
Old 12th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Ok, I'm ready for the answers.
Old 12th March 2020
Here for the gear

Please NOT B, Ill be happy with any other result long as B is not the GA 800.
Old 12th March 2020
Are the mics in the same order on both? Otherwise what are people referring to?
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

These blind tests are obscene. No time for games.
Old 12th March 2020
Okay here's my attempt at Andrew:
A REDD
B STAM
C SONY
D AA
E GA
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

I don’t understand what the point of the guessing game is? Has everyone used all of these mics firsthand? Interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I don’t understand what the point of the guessing game is? Has everyone used all of these mics firsthand? Interesting...
To eliminate bias. That is the point of blind shootouts because people have bias towards things for countless reasons but...
This way everybody is equal and we all use our ears to judge.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
To eliminate bias. That is the point of blind shootouts because people have bias towards things for countless reasons but...
This way everybody is equal and we all use our ears to judge.
No, that is the point of it being a blind test. I get that, I am just then noting qualitative differences.

What is the point of people guessing what is what, especially if they haven’t used *all* of the mics? I guess it’s over my head...
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Nut

I am using the GA800G for 3 days now and I'm a little bit pissed off. I know the original C800G, because I was using it for 5 years and I still have many vocal recordings with the C800G. This GA800G definitely lacks bass and overall feeling. Yes, it reminds me of the typical EQ curve, but it sounds too clean, no vibe. The Redd kicks it's ass up and down the street.

I'm sorry for these hard words. But if I pay 4000, it has to be EXACT that sound. It looks perfect, good job. But they should revise it's inner value.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
I am using the GA800G for 3 days now and I'm a little bit pissed off. I know the original C800G, because I was using it for 5 years and I still have many vocal recordings with the C800G. This GA800G definitely lacks bass and overall feeling. Yes, it reminds me of the typical EQ curve, but it sounds too clean, no vibe. The Redd kicks it's ass up and down the street.

I'm sorry for these hard words. But if I pay 4000, it has to be EXACT that sound. It looks perfect, good job. But they should revise it's inner value.
Same here man, I've just received my GA800 yesterday. I must admit, I haven't worked with an original C800G but I know it's sound from several recordings.
However I expected more from this mic to be honest.

I set it up against my Brauner VMX, and although we are talking different flavours here, it could not beat it regarding clarity and focus. I also thought it captured even more room information than the brauner, which is already pretty sensible. I am going to send the GAP back.

just my 2 cents.
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, that is the point of it being a blind test. I get that, I am just then noting qualitative differences.

What is the point of people guessing what is what, especially if they haven’t used *all* of the mics? I guess it’s over my head...
No. You're spot on. I think it's just a game to mess with people's projected expectations for all but maybe one or two people here who actually have heard most of the mics. I referred to the same thing in my response.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioSenses View Post
Same here man, I've just received my GA800 yesterday. I must admit, I haven't worked with an original C800G but I know it's sound from several recordings.
However I expected more from this mic to be honest.

I set it up against my Brauner VMX, and although we are talking different flavours here, it could not beat it regarding clarity and focus. I also thought it captured even more room information than the brauner, which is already pretty sensible. I am going to send the GAP back.

just my 2 cents.
not surprising. I'm guessing you would probably feel similarly comparing the Brauner to a real Sony though.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I see the benefit as identifying your personal favourite without the bias of brand/hype/expectation. Ranking in order of preference.
Old 12th March 2020
Here for the gear

The mics are the labeled the same for both the verse and hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
No. You're spot on. I think it's just a game to mess with people's projected expectations for all but maybe one or two people here who actually have heard most of the mics. I referred to the same thing in my response.
Or maybe it’s just fun. You seemed to leave quite a lengthy answer. Why not get back to close micing some Morris dancing if this isn’t your thing?
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

FWIW when my Buddy and I both sang/tried out the GAP... We didn't hear much "sparkle". Which in my case, is probably an advantage!
On the microphone's own merits, IMHO it worked very well on both our (mellow toned) voices.

Looking forward also to Paul G's review. IMHO again, it would have helped GAP, to have put a Sony C800G right next to the GAP-When we tested it.
Chris
Old 12th March 2020
You guys are funny!

Since when has a clone ever sounded like the original? High end clones like flea and telefunken USA (with it's outrageous price points) is not spot on the vintage they try to emulate. If you want the real deal just buy it and be done with it...
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Or maybe it’s just fun.
Exactly! It's suppose to be fun. Heck I listen to clone shootouts even when I own the original. It's fun.
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

I had to hear it to believe it but...
Eric Heiserman can make a capsule, that will MATCH, the legendary "brass capsule" 414!

I A/B'd the original 414, versus the 414 he put his own reproduction in. Could NOT tell a difference.
Easily a matched pair.

Part of the reason I regard Eric (and Tim Campbell) as totally world class capsule makers.
Chris
📝 Reply