The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor
Old 1st January 2020
News Desk Editor

Hardware Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor

Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-screenshot-2020-01-01-11.55.57.jpg

The Warm Audio BUS-COMP is an all-analog, 2 channel, stereo VCA compressor based on classic circuitry that has provided silky smooth tone for decades. Stereo VCA compressors are masterful at controlling dynamics on many sources, but they have become widely known for their magic touch on stereo mixes.

The BUS-COMP will perform well on stereo mixes, drum mixes, drum overheads, acoustic guitars, keyboards, piano, orchestral instruments, voice-overs and an array of other sources. The BUS-COMP is primarily designed for stereo use, but it can be used just as successfully on individual mono sources. VCA compressors of this type have become widely loved for their ability to control dynamics effortlessly but also for the added tone and depth they provide to the audio signal that passes through them, even when no compression is applied.

Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-cropped-bus-comp-interior.jpg
A Look Inside
Re-creating legendary VCA compressor technology was the focus of the BUS-COMP’s design, however, adding options and improvements was just as important to us during its development. One feature we are proud to boast is the BUS-COMP’s ability to have USA made CineMag transformers inserted into the signal path driven by fully discrete operational amplifiers. With a single push of a front panel switch, these custom USA made transformers are inserted into the audio’s path providing increased depth, tone and vibe!

Premium Components
As with all of the products we develop here at Warm Audio, the BUS-COMP was designed with a price point in mind. With efficient, modern manufacturing techniques we are proud to bring this boutique quality, classic VCA compressor to the market at a quality-to-price ratio previously unseen. More studios than ever before will now have access to analog quality VCA compression. Our desire is for all musicians to be heard the way they want to be heard and we feel the BUS-COMP is the perfect tool to perfect any mix!

Link : https://warmaudio.com/bus-compressor/
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-screenshot-2020-01-01-11.55.57.jpg   Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-cropped-bus-comp-interior.jpg  
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Warm Audio buss Comp

Just dropped a new ssl style buss comp:

https://warmaudio.com/bus-compressor/

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 1st January 2020 at 10:22 AM..
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Addict

I had a feeling this would be on the way! Looks like they took some inspiration from TK audio with the transformer option.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting... cudos to them showing the guts
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

MSRP $699.

Colour me curious.
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Addict

Looks very nice... I’m satisfied with my TK BC1, but the price on this is tempting. Wish it had wet/dry, but not a deal breaker.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

I'm so getting this one!

Last edited by johnnynash; 1st January 2020 at 05:41 PM..
Old 1st January 2020
Looks a bit like the SSL 4000 G Compressor.
Would be great if it sound like this one for that price.
Hopfully somone check it out this month!
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Maniac

It has a high pass filter instead low pass filter.
So cool.
Just compress the lows,if you want.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
According to this video available in Jan....moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmkAhG0Kz64
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Here's another one...moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFXqELkNjTM
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
It has a high pass filter instead low pass filter.
So cool.
Just compress the lows,if you want.
The high pass filter on a compressor like this just filters the low end from the detector of the compression circuit. You’ll still be compressing the lows AND the highs. I’ve never seen a low pass filter on a compressor before, so I’m not sure where you got that from.
Old 1st January 2020
This is also very interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-zrzut-ekranu-2020-01-1-o-22.40.20.jpg  
Old 1st January 2020
A mix knob would have been a really nice feature, but still...that price + transformers
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
This is also very interesting
...the hell is that?
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Bah!

I'll believe it once it's been on the market for a year and people I trust say it's good, then hear it myself and agree.

This company has bounced the shiny ball at the kittens and watched them dive for it before.
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
The high pass filter on a compressor like this just filters the low end from the detector of the compression circuit. You’ll still be compressing the lows AND the highs. I’ve never seen a low pass filter on a compressor before, so I’m not sure where you got that from.
You are wrong.From the user manual!!!

6. HPF Hz (High-Pass Filter - Hertz)
A high pass filter simply attenuates a selected low frequency (cutoff frequency) and
every frequency below it. All frequencies above the cutoff frequency are passed
through unaffected.
HPF-Hz
OFF
In this example, 105Hz has been selected as the cutoff frequency.
Therefore, the frequencies which will be attenuated are 105Hz,
and every frequency below 105Hz. All frequencies above 105Hz
will pass through unaffected
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

A high pass filter simply attenuates a selected low frequency (cutoff frequency) and
through unaffected.
HPF-Hz
OFF
I stand corrected, I think. I haven't seen this on any other hw compressor.
Old 1st January 2020
I wonder if anyone has a whole studio setup with nothing but Warm gear.
Old 1st January 2020
The manual must be incorrect/poorly worded. It should attenuate the sidechain signal (at and below the HPF cutoff) that is going to the VCA's detector so it does not cause the compressor to overreact or pump. If it actually attenuates the frequencies below the cutoff and that shows up on the output in that manner...why do that on a buss compressor?

For example it should be saying something like: 105hz HP attenuates signal strength below 105hz going to the detector for the VCA, therefore the compressor is LESS responsive to frequencies at 105hz and below. That's what should be happening.
Old 1st January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
I stand corrected, I think. I haven't seen this on any other hw compressor.
I think you were right originally. The wording is a little confusing. Look at all the other SSL style compressors that have a HPF in the sidechain circuit.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
...the hell is that?
a pair of DIs

there's an advert in the latest edition of SOS showing the bus comp and the DI boxes
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
I think you were right originally. The wording is a little confusing. Look at all the other SSL style compressors that have a HPF in the sidechain circuit.
Perhaps. I think it’s worded poorly as well. IF it does what is described (however poorly written), then it would be just compressing at the crossover frequency and below.
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilon View Post
Looks a bit like the SSL 4000 G Compressor.
Would be great if it sound like this one for that price.
Hopfully somone check it out this month!
I think the schematics for this are out in the open. It should be exactly the same as the 4000 G if they followed the schematics. Gyraf Audio even have the schematics available for download if you want to build your own. This more than any other compressor should be trivial to clone. I love SSL stuff but they've been taking the piss on the price of the rack mount G series. $4529 at Sweetwater!! GTFO here man! That's $400 worth of electronics for a design out of the 80s. They've made money with this over the years. I think it's about time they dropped the price a bit.
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear

I was thinking the same thing, it’s crazy I spent the past week researching how to build your own gssl 4000, then warm drops this. Only a couple hundred more and you don’t have to build it and the transformers are exciting. Agree, wet/dry would be a welcome addition. Now I just need to find an la2a diy kit
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

through unaffected.
HPF-Hz
OFF
I can see why this could be confusing, they are describing the fundamentals of a highpass filter.

They are not describing the effect it has on the compressor.

The previous respondent was correct, this highpass filter is used to remove excessive low frequencies from reaching the detector / sidechain signal path. The audio path through the unit does not go through this filter.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
The manual must be incorrect/poorly worded. It should attenuate the sidechain signal (at and below the HPF cutoff) that is going to the VCA so it does not cause the compressor to overreact or pump. If it actually attenuates the frequencies below the cutoff and that shows up on the output in that manner...why do that on a buss compressor?

For example 105hz attenuates signal strength below 105hz going to the VCA, therefore the compressor is LESS responsive to frequencies at 105hz and below. That's what should be happening.
Just to be clear, and in the case that this might be a typo, the filter does not affect the signal going to the VCA, it affected the signal going to the sidechain.
Program audio does not pass through this filter.
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Just to be clear, and in the case that this might be a typo, the filter does not affect the signal going to the VCA, it affected the signal going to the sidechain.
Program audio does not pass through this filter.
Why so many guessing?
Just ask Warm audio to be clear, what is correct or wrong.
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Addict
Another "Son" of G.Diy-SSL project…

about 200 bucks for parts ..
and a bit of fun in building it …
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why so many guessing?
Just ask Warm audio to be clear, what is correct or wrong.
Warm audio were already quite clear in their description, it's the misinterpretations here that are causing the confusion.

EDIT: The manual has problems. The description of the filter only describes the generic function of a highpass filter.

SO bad.

Last edited by zmix; 2nd January 2020 at 08:17 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search