The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No need to get yer panties all in a bunch. You brought up the hammer analogy then face palmed when questioned about it , I simply explained why it didn't really directly relate. BUT You are right it is total a non issue.

Again simmer down. What you did say was quote
"Mixed another song thru the warm bus comp and heard zero "quality" difference between it and a $2 thousand dollar piece of gear I have
Which sounded like referencing an A/B comparison, so I was simply trying to clarify what that meant.

I never gave an opinion or said jack s**t on build or anything else about WARM . I was not challenging you, but was in fact curious how you reached your "zero difference" conclusion . BUT now apparently by your defensiveness, it must have been by memory only , not by A/B..... But hey if that works for you, then it works for you...

And here ya go I call your facepalm and raise
Ok MC Hammer...Looked at your other post and it seems you make it a habit to challenge everyone and you have used the builder analogy several times as your defense...You even used it in the same way I did which is so LMAO ironic. You seem to disagree with most and insult people regularly on gearslutz...so please stop quoting my responses just to start some off the wall argument. With that being said what do you have to contribute to the discussion as to how the Warm Buss Comp sounds? Oh you don't have one mr. Panties in a wad or whatever you mean and the simmer down part as if someone is arguing with you... My Warm bus comp sound fine MC Hammer....You cant touch this!! lol GTFOH.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoopermusic View Post
Ok MC Hammer...Looked at your other post and it seems you make it a habit to challenge everyone and you have used the builder analogy several times as your defense...You even used it in the same way I did which is so LMAO ironic. You seem to disagree with most and insult people regularly on gearslutz...so please stop quoting my responses just to start some off the wall argument. With that being said what do you have to contribute to the discussion as to how the Warm Buss Comp sounds? Oh you don't have one mr. Panties in a wad or whatever you mean and the simmer down part as if someone is arguing with you... My Warm bus comp sound fine MC Hammer....You cant touch this!! lol GTFOH.
Wrong I disagree with people when when I think they are mistaken, (or spouting nonsense) And it is occasionally at most , with a select few and not remotely everyone, or most, as you infer which is nonsense. And if they get insulted that is their own insecure ego at work
And if you read my posts about carpentry and recording you would, or should, see I only state it is the value of good tools that is similar. And in no way used it the same way you did (which is more nonsense) . And ya you obviously have your panties twisted, tight. BTW Having a Warm Bus Comp is not a requirement of posting here
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Wrong I disagree with people when when I think they are mistaken, (or spouting nonsense) And it is occasionally at most , with a select few and not remotely everyone, or most, as you infer which is nonsense. And if they get insulted that is their own insecure ego at work
And if you read my posts about carpentry and recording you would, or should, see I only state it is the value of good tools that is similar. And in no way used it the same way you did (which is more nonsense) . And ya you obviously have your panties twisted, tight. BTW Having a Warm Bus Comp is not a requirement of posting here
Right..Moving on
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

You can actually get a non compressed sound either passing thru or with the Transformer engaged if you have something already mastered.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

Looks good in the temp spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-20200208_161820.jpg  
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoopermusic View Post
Looks good in the temp spot.
So then, what is the "$2 thousand dollar piece of gear" you compared it to?
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Maniac
<modsnip - thread tidy>

Anyway, this thing's definitely piqued my interest as I was looking at the Vintage (Revive) Audio MSL-TX, especially the option to switch in/out transformers (ins & outs in that case). But the Warm is half the price.

I've owned a ToneBeast in the past. It was nice for the price. Had it modded by Revive & that made a (small) difference but when I stepped up in price range, I definitely noticed a bigger difference.

I've no doubt that if I bought a Drasmatic Obsidian, I'd definitely tell the difference but I don't want to portion that much of my budget to that. I don't need the Warm box to come "close" to the Obsidian ... I need it to beat The Glue or whatever ITB plug.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
So then, what is the "$2 thousand dollar piece of gear" you compared it to?
Again, I never referenced to another buss comp as a test/comparison?... I stated that it has the same quality rating of my $2k equipment and that it did what I told it to do. I don't have any interest now or in the future to directly give a comparison on any gear in regards to how I view this compressor.. If I do, it will be in reference to quality and not sound. I hope that helps. FYI. The pic or statement you quoted is my home desk recording setup. I have a full dedicated studio in another state...
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Did my part. Posted a pic and gave my honest opinion on how it sounded..... anybody else have anything to add to that part?
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
All the worst parts of Gearslutz on display in a short 8 page thread & that's saying something considering I just came from the Billie Eileesh thread!

High-end gear dudes trying to justify why you need to spend $3k instead a $800 box because that's pro. CHECK

Cost-conscious dudes contending you don't need to spend $3k when a $800 does the job pretty much just as well & all you're paying for is the logo. CHECK

Facesmearingly stupid sausage-party reference to fat chick? CHECK

Anyway, this thing's definitely piqued my interest as I was looking at the Vintage (Revive) Audio MSL-TX, especially the option to switch in/out transformers (ins & outs in that case). But the Warm is half the price.

I've owned a ToneBeast in the past. It was nice for the price. Had it modded by Revive & that made a (small) difference but when I stepped up in price range, I definitely noticed a bigger difference.

I've no doubt that if I bought a Drasmatic Obsidian, I'd definitely tell the difference but I don't want to portion that much of my budget to that. I don't need the Warm box to come "close" to the Obsidian ... I need it to beat The Glue or whatever ITB plug.
In the SSL bus comp blind shootout I conducted, some plugins have received more fav votes than the original SSL. The Stam hardware has received the least. The Glue wasn't included, but since it's said to be one of the best emus, there's no guarantee any hardware comp will beat it. For you. It depends on your taste and the quality of your conversion.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Before that review gets published I hope you can take a look at the auto release as compared to the SSL or Smart, also look at the threshold shift when changing ratios, these are two aspects that the gyraph based clones get wrong. On the console you can switch ratios and the mix doesn't change in level, for example. Also are they really doing the makeup gain by adding an additional gain stage (as they indicate in the manual)? Take a look at my previous posts here, and let me know. I'm also in the city if you'd like to bring it over to compare to the SSL and the Smart C2, get in touch.
Well, the knee indeed changes with the ratios, also on Smart and SSL. It is indeed not a really noticeable level change as in some clones, but with the same threshold setting you'll get a little more compression when switching from 4:1 to 2:1, at least that's my experience with the SSL in a Delta console, the XRack and the C1. And yes, the auto release is quite different and much more musical than in any clone I know, and I do know a lot.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
My dude, people have already done this.

You keep insisting that everyone who answers your question is stating the obvious without realizing that what you are asking is painfully obvious in and of itself.

Go look up the schematic for an SSL and then look up any DIY build. Make a list of the components. Look up the prices. Problem solved.

No one else is demanding that this be done, but luckily, the information is right at your fingertips and readily accessible. If you're so insistent about this, do it yourself.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac

It does not matter what inside,and what kind of part they use.
If it sounds good it is good,If they do not break up easy it is ok.
Let them put inside a chocolate and bananas I do not care.
I have WARm W87 and it stand up in every aspect vs U87.
Period.
Focus to make a good mix and sound.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

I must say that the timing of this new WA bus comp has been impeccable in my case. Just had bought a summing box and a new RME ADI to go with my FF800, but realized that I wasn't going to be able to mix OTB hitting the Waves SSL bus comp as I'm used to...Well...You can imagine how excited I am to hear the news. I don't think it's still available in Europe, but I'm going to order ASAP.

So far, I only used the Waves SSL and (Cytomic) The Glue, so by what I'm reading, I guess I'll notice an improvement. How does it compare to plugins? Way better? not so different?

I own a couple of WA Pultecs and the WA 76, and I must say that both products beat the waves plugins by a mile...
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by parissound View Post
Why all the bull crap with a a new $699 product. Either you buy one or move on. Geesh. Hate this forum sometimes. Always comparing a $699 gear to a $3k gear.
Warm Audio has given many home studios a chance to buy and use great gear for a great price.
Don't like Warm Audio? Move on. Simple

Just make music, make money, have fun.
First off, I have not tried Warm Audio anything, but they have a reputation on way or the other, depending on who you talk to.

You make a great point, but there is an aspect of comparison that can be made, and that isn't just about people being cheap minded. Some audio companies make bold statements when it comes to promoting and comparing their gear to their competitors. There is one simple way to know if one is getting an imposter (all be it can still be a good tool, but is it the best or close enough for ones expectations and needs) or if you're getting a quality product. Pop the top of the unit off and look at the components.

For instance, developers will promote their usage of That VCA's, which are indeed excellent, if not preferred over the original design. The thing that many do not know is, there are (I believe) up to 3 varieties of That VCA's that one can use in this circuit design. The 3rd variety being the best quality. And then there are the op amps, which contribute to the overall noise floor. Are a cheaper noisier variety being used, or Burr Browns or something of that ilk. And there are the Caps (again which I believe to be the case) that control the release values. Are they the legit higher quality caps? Power supply, PCB build, etc....

One might think, well $700 for a compressor clone of this type is nothing. Well consider this, Burr Brown Op Amps can be purchased for $1.00 a piece. I think the SSL Schematic takes 6-8-? of them? A potentially whooping $8.00 to get the lowest noise op amp per unit. This can contribute to a clearer sound stage. Perhaps some designers might use a different more noisy variety to more accurately mimic the console quad compressors noise floor and sound. But that's purely me interjecting that concept, no one has ever actually said that to me.

Obviously I'm not an audio electronics engineer due to my vague recollection in regards to the components. But I do have access to a highly skilled A.E.E. that maintains and mods my analog gear. It's VERY interesting to hear him speak about all of the tools we work on. Everything from "they really went all out on this design" to "it's good but it's highly flawed and will eventually end up on my bench before you know it...because."

I think these conversations are okay to have, especially when designers and companies are making certain claims and statements about their gear. With Digital tools / plugins you have so many companies who imply by using their tools, such as, you're getting an XYZ Mastering Compressor that's going to make your mixes sound more professional. This is of course total and utter bulls ****. But 99% of us, including myself can't pop the top off of a plugin and simply look inside and see what's actually going on, and how many actually own the genuine article to compare it to.

It might very well be that Warm Audio's product is top notch..then again maybe not. There's only one way to tell...
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post

It might very well be that Warm Audio's product is top notch..then again maybe not. There's only one way to tell...
Yep there is, listen to it and judge for yourself.

I'm still not getting this all this let's dig into the internals thought process, what are you looking for? It's not boutique gear.

Maybe the thinking is "Hey maybe we can expose WARM. Their buyers are thinking we're getting the same boutique components as the original at half or even less of the price."

Nobody buys WARM thinking that, but they might be thinking we'll get something of that boutique sound at a lower price. They don't really care what's inside.

It's like buying a value brand car and then being disappointed when it doesn't have premium brand parts.
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post

I'm still not getting this all this let's dig into the internals thought process, what are you looking for? It's not boutique gear.

Maybe the thinking is "Hey maybe we can expose WARM. Their buyers are thinking we're getting the same boutique components as the original at half or even less of the price."

Nobody buys WARM thinking that, but they might be thinking we'll get something of that boutique sound at a lower price. They don't really care what's inside.

It's like buying a value brand car and then being disappointed when it doesn't have premium brand parts.
Yes, the most important aspect of judging a good fit is obviously to demo the gear and come to whatever conclusion there is.

And to be clear, I'm not calling out Warm Audio per say, I'm calling out a post with information that I felt inclined to question. Two very different things. I made it perfectly clear that I have never used Warm's gear.

And by the way, I earn my living making records, have been for nearly 30 years. When clients come to my studio I feel obliged to go the extra mile to make sure they're getting class-a in and out. This is the mindset when gear enters my workflow.

You said "you're not getting it in regards to digging into internals." Being an informed buyer is exactly what you're not being. You're suggesting to buy things leap of faith, lower expectations, and just assume that paying less for "almost there" should be good enough. You're also suggesting that boutique companies offerings are automatically more expensive. I could tell you right now (certainly not out in the open here) that there are a few companies offering this type of product with top level components, that are either identical or a little more expensive because of add-ons to the design. They just don't advertise or sell on Sweetwater. And when I say more expensive, I'm talking a $200-$300. In my educated experience, not a lot to have the cream of the crop in your rack, where it's likely that you're running your entire mix through it.

With that said and for all I know, the Warm unit might be the bomb. I'm about to purchase an La-2a for my studio. I have a rack unit, a 500 series variety, and a UA reissue Teletronics to shoot out what I think not only works best, but looks like will last the long haul because we're talking Tubes, Transformers, and a hefty power supply. I'll talk to my tech engineer and the low down from his perspective regarding what's going on under the hood. This to me is what being an informed buyer is. YMMV
Old 23rd February 2020
Lives for gear

I will never be able to afford a real 1176, LA2A, Pultec, or SSL comp...Not all of them anyway. I can afford their plugin counterparts, though. AND their Warm Audio counterparts. WA's strategy is pretty obvious...They manage to build stuff that looks like the hardware, and sounds better than the plugins. Who cares what's inside?
Old 23rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Virgil,

I agree. The perfect is the enemy of the good - and this is good.

/Jakob E.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Thanks for clarifying... Btw, were the Gold Can's basically only used in the FX G384's? I used to often rent the rack g-comp if I wasn't working on an ssl. I might have actually preferred it over the console's quad comp....maybe. It's been a while...
They were used in the consoles up to a point and in the earlier 384s. The later 384s have THATs already. Many people back in the day also switched the dbx for THATs in the console. Loads of threads about it with Jim answering all the same questions all over again.
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

I imagining this,
"Input: 10k Ohms and from that its
Output: 50 Ohms"
This will be one of the surprising gifts of 2020...
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I will never be able to afford a real 1176, LA2A, Pultec, or SSL comp...Not all of them anyway. I can afford their plugin counterparts, though. AND their Warm Audio counterparts. WA's strategy is pretty obvious...They manage to build stuff that looks like the hardware, and sounds better than the plugins. Who cares what's inside?
This is Gearslutz, plenty of people care what’s inside, hence manufacturers often making a point of listing certain components
Old 27th February 2020
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
It does not matter what inside,and what kind of part they use.
If it sounds good it is good,If they do not break up easy it is ok.
Let them put inside a chocolate and bananas I do not care.
I have WARm W87 and it stand up in every aspect vs U87.
Period.
Focus to make a good mix and sound.
You can get clones for much less expensive than the Warm, why did you buy the Warm if you don’t care what’s inside it? Just the name?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1073 View Post
You can get clones for much less expensive than the Warm, why did you buy the Warm if you don’t care what’s inside it? Just the name?
Sorry,obviously you don't get the point.Just blah,blah.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear
Just went through the last few pages of the thread to find an update of someone's experience with the Warm bus comp...

For a long time I've usually put the Waves SSL on the bus before going out into my analog chain, which right now begins with an Xpressor and finished with a Tegeler VTC with a few things in between, but I'm thinking the Warm could be better suited. I'm not looking to get rid of the Xpressor, but to delegate it to the more creative tasks primarily, in lieu of a dedicated bus unit.

I have to say though, the Sand3 bus comp is an absolute weapon and has ended my reaching for the Waves ever again. It would be very nice if anyone has the Warm, to compare it to Sand3 comp.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
I'm not sure where you are located, but I am not in the US I'm in the UK, so for me, I only know of a single company that is making clones in the UK (I may end up buying their unit). I hadn't even heard of them until I started reading around GS and came across them by accident.

There are more clone makers in the US and some in other countries, but I'm not paying import tax for a clone. Also with my one experience of buying audio equipment internationally from a one-man-band type of operation and having to go through lots of rigmarole to return it and get a refund when the power circuit burnt out after a few days, I'd rather buy from a retailer I can just walk the unit back into if I have an issue. Warm Audio fulfil that requirement.

Also, I'm sure we're all probably aware of another clone from a celebrated company where some GS members have waited a year and a half to receive a unit.
Old 27th February 2020
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
Sorry,obviously you don't get the point.Just blah,blah.
What was the point?
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is Gearslutz, plenty of people care what’s inside, hence manufacturers often making a point of listing certain components
Fair enough. If it sounds good, I don't care if it has ice cream inside, if you know what I mean.
Old 28th February 2020
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post

I started the component talk on this thread, no other reason than to understand, have transparency and possibly understand more of how companies create their prices. Has nothing to do with promoting or demoting a company. I have a lot of respect for Bryce at Warm, and (I certainly can’t name drop these one) I heard some very
Well known boutique high price gear manufacturers compliment his circuit designs. It’s no different to someone building a house, some focus on the final figure and some want to understand how that figure was created. Some, are acting as though it’s blasphemy or lives will be lost if we have this information. I assume because they would rather feel great about their lower price purchase than hear the component cost saving that went into it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ordered it about 2 months ago. Thomann originally promised to deliver the Bus Comp by the end of January. Then they said late February but nothing happened so far. I find it very annoying that manufacters are hyping new products with deadlines they clearly can't keep. At least for overseas delivery I guess.

BRING IT ON!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search