The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HoRNet releases LU Meter MK2 - Loudness Meter with auto gain staging
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

HoRNet releases LU Meter MK2 - Loudness Meter with auto gain staging

HoRNet Plugins has released HoRNet LU Meter MK2, an LU meter plugin with automatic gain setting and grouping functions.

The new GUI is now scalable and has been optimised to take less space than the previous version and let you focus on the meter bars. In addition to the new GUI LU Meter MK2 also allows you to give names to your tracks and groups, send every parameter change to any other instance of LU Meter MK2 (not just the ones in the same group) and display the level of any of the other instances in the project without closing the GUI and choosing a new track.

This new version also now supports all the three standard EBU modes: "momentary", "short term" and "integrated", any of the three modes can be used for metering and auto gain.

Features:
  • LU momentary, short term and integrated.
  • LU peak hold.
  • RED blink clipping indicator.
  • Reference level settable from -60 to 0 LUFS.
  • Input gain from -30dB to +30dB.
  • Bar color freely selectable.
  • Stereo automatic gain adjustment with 6 different settings.
  • Auto gain with momentary or integrated method.
  • Peak protection between (no peak can exceed the set limit).
  • Auto Gain and meter setting can be set to whole group or to every instance at once.
  • Eight different assignable groups.
  • Stereo display.
  • Every instance can be named.
  • Groups names freely editable.
  • Ever instance of the plugin can display the value of every other named instance.
  • Standard compliance mode with EBU R128 momentary, short term or integrated.
  • Mac OS X (>=10.7) and Windows support.
  • 64-bit plugins for macOS, 32 and 64-bit for Windows.
  • Audio Units, VST, VST3 and AAX format.

Price: 5,99€ on www.hornetplugins.com.

If you already own LU Meter you can upgrade to the new LU Meter MK2 for 1,99€.
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

Automatic buy. Thanks!!!
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Maybe I have the wrong expectations, but I thought LU meter could be an incredible help with gain staging. A kind of ‘rebalance signal to 0 dB LU (target) now!’. For example, placed before a compressor where the input signal has changed gain: Hit a button and the signal is 0 dB on the meter again. To use LU Meter MK2 this way there are three things:

1) To ‘trigger’ a rebalance of the gain to 0 dB you need to change the target LU back and forth to 0dB (2 clicks, not workflow friendly).
2) MK2 with AUTO enabled will turn down gain with increased input levels, but won’t turn the gain UP when the input level goes down. So for some reason the automatic gain compensation only works in one way. This is very confusing during mixing.
3) If you don’t want (downwards) automatic gain control you have to remember to turn off AUTO.

So basically when you slap LU meter on a track louder or softer then 0dB target it works like a dream! Just hit AUTO and it almost always exactly rebalance the output signal to 0dB. But when after that the input level changes it’s almost impossible to rebalance and most of the times I have to delete it and insert a new (default) instance.

I would like to suggest a new button next to AUTO which (with AUTO disabled) would rebalance the signal to its target loudness (0dB) (UP- and downward!). So if you insert, for example, some saturation plugin before LU meter with a hotter output you just have to open LU meter, hit a button and the rest of the chain receives it’s original input level again. And (I think) with AUTO enabled it should not only turn down the level, but also turn it up. Would be a dream!

Perhaps LU meter isn’t the best for my needs. If so, would one of the other Hornet plugins fit better? When I look around I couldn’t find a comparable product. So keep up the good work!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10us View Post
Maybe I have the wrong expectations, but I thought LU meter could be an incredible help with gain staging. A kind of ‘rebalance signal to 0 dB LU (target) now!’. For example, placed before a compressor where the input signal has changed gain: Hit a button and the signal is 0 dB on the meter again. To use LU Meter MK2 this way there are three things:

1) To ‘trigger’ a rebalance of the gain to 0 dB you need to change the target LU back and forth to 0dB (2 clicks, not workflow friendly).
2) MK2 with AUTO enabled will turn down gain with increased input levels, but won’t turn the gain UP when the input level goes down. So for some reason the automatic gain compensation only works in one way. This is very confusing during mixing.
3) If you don’t want (downwards) automatic gain control you have to remember to turn off AUTO.

So basically when you slap LU meter on a track louder or softer then 0dB target it works like a dream! Just hit AUTO and it almost always exactly rebalance the output signal to 0dB. But when after that the input level changes it’s almost impossible to rebalance and most of the times I have to delete it and insert a new (default) instance.

I would like to suggest a new button next to AUTO which (with AUTO disabled) would rebalance the signal to its target loudness (0dB) (UP- and downward!). So if you insert, for example, some saturation plugin before LU meter with a hotter output you just have to open LU meter, hit a button and the rest of the chain receives it’s original input level again. And (I think) with AUTO enabled it should not only turn down the level, but also turn it up. Would be a dream!

Perhaps LU meter isn’t the best for my needs. If so, would one of the other Hornet plugins fit better? When I look around I couldn’t find a comparable product. So keep up the good work!
Hi, first, thank you for the suggestion every idea help us getting a better tool for everybody.

Second, a click on the auto button toggling it's state from off to on should reset the internal peak counter so that you can re-normalize your tracks.
Regarding the feature request you make, it's always been our goal but we never really decided how to do it because ring the gain when the level goes down requires a threshold to be set that has to act as a trigger for the gain update operation. While lowering the level it's easy because the threshold is the highest peak recorded until now and if you find a higher peak you can adjust the gain accordingly, to rise it you must decide a where the lowest acceptable value is, and if you put it at the wrong place you risk to rise gain on softer passages while the should have kept at their level.

We have tried this approach with "TheNormalizer" a plugin designed only to normalize levels without metering that provides a "continuous mode" that works like you describe, but it's a hit or miss.

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugin...thenormalizer/

Saverio
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Saverio,

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware that peak values where of interest with a LU/LUFS configuration. I understand that there are issue with high dynamic content. One of the reasons I do not need (like) an automatic gain change. For me it would be sufficient to look for the loudest part en set de LU meter gain at that point.

What I don't understand is that when you insert a fresh instance of LU Meter MK2 where the input signal is below 0 dB LU on the meter, hitting the AUTO button does increase the gain to the 0 dB level. So it seems possible the first time. After that the plugin will never increase the gain, only decrease. So that's why I need a 'button' to start LU meter all over again and as such also would upward gain stage.

There also seem to be a problem with the windowing on W10/Bitwig: When I open a saved project with the latest 2.0.1 LU meter the surrounding frame is to large (see attached file)
Attached Thumbnails
HoRNet releases LU Meter MK2 - Loudness Meter with auto gain staging-bitwig-lu-meter.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10us View Post
Hi Saverio,

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware that peak values where of interest with a LU/LUFS configuration. I understand that there are issue with high dynamic content. One of the reasons I do not need (like) an automatic gain change. For me it would be sufficient to look for the loudest part en set de LU meter gain at that point.

What I don't understand is that when you insert a fresh instance of LU Meter MK2 where the input signal is below 0 dB LU on the meter, hitting the AUTO button does increase the gain to the 0 dB level. So it seems possible the first time. After that the plugin will never increase the gain, only decrease. So that's why I need a 'button' to start LU meter all over again and as such also would upward gain stage.

There also seem to be a problem with the windowing on W10/Bitwig: When I open a saved project with the latest 2.0.1 LU meter the surrounding frame is to large (see attached file)
Well when i talk about peak values i don't mean absolute signal peak in dBFS, but the highest recorded value in LUFS by the plugin since the last reset.

So if the plugin records a max of -10LUFS in your program and you ask for a level of -16LUFS, it'll set the gain to -6. then you lower the input signal and the plugin has no way of knowing that you lowered the output of something before and not actually listening to a softer passage of the same program.

Regarding the Bitwig screen that really looks like an issue could you please open a support ticket on our website https://www.hornetplugins.com if you have not already done it?

thank you very much for the help
Saverio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search