The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korneff Audio Pawn Shop Comp
Old 29th November 2019
Gear Addict

Korneff Audio Pawn Shop Comp

https://korneffaudio.com/product/pawn-shop-comp/ - Looks pretty tweaky and fun! From the site:

Dan Korneff is a producer, mixer, engineer who has an extensive discography including some of the biggest names in new rock (Pierce the Veil, Paramore, Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin, Sleeping With Sirens, My Chemical Romance). He works out of his studio, Sonic Debris Recording, in Long Island, NY. The studio is a full service, multi-room operation featuring a Solid State Logic 8048G console and a ton of outboard gear.

A long, long time ago, audio engineers were actual electrical engineers. They built the equipment they used to make records. Dan is part of that tradition. He's modified his SSL console, and he's torn apart and rebuilt vintage compressors, equalizers, guitar amplifiers, microphones. His custom made compressors are a big deal (and a big secret) in the professional audio industry.

The Pawn Shop Comp is the first commercial product released by Korneff Audio Inc. It's based on the circuits of vintage tube and FET compressors, blended together to create something unique. It's been tested and refined on three years of recording and mixing sessions - Dan and his team of beta testers have used the PSC on recordings that you've probably heard. Those sorts of sounds, and whatever new sounds you can dream up, are what the Pawn Shop Comp is all about.
Old 29th November 2019
Too bad there's no demo neither videos to hear it in action.
I can't justify to flush 49$ without hearing it working on my tracks. I hope some members will give feedback soon. The good point is that it seems to be well thought (lot of useful options all over the place).
Old 29th November 2019
Thanks for spreading the love!!

@ Endor - I'm working on coding a demo soon. My day job is getting in the way

There are some demo videos on up the Korneff Audio website (www.korneffaudio.com), and I used it extensively in my MixCon presentation.
This should give you a good idea of what it's doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xytsTq_Wolg
Old 29th November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
Thanks for spreading the love!!

@ Endor - I'm working on coding a demo soon. My day job is getting in the way

There are some demo videos on up the Korneff Audio website (www.korneffaudio.com), and I used it extensively in my MixCon presentation.
This should give you a good idea of what it's doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xytsTq_Wolg
Nice !!
Thanks for the link Dan, I'm gonna check this out...
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Addict

BF already budgeted this year
but quality approved by Lily sounds woof-woof.

Best wishes for the software kickoff.
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Will there be a demo version soon during the intro period?
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Looks seriously cool!!
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

That indeed is one inviting and beautiful GUI. Lovely, too bad I can't say the same about the sound as no demo
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Tempted to purchase for that GUI alone
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

wow, that GUI is freaking over the top-nice!

Old 30th November 2019
Wow! Might be worth the price just for the positive energy I'd get from using that GUI

Cool it can just be used as a preamp too... would love to try that.
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Looks great. Need a demo version
Old 30th November 2019
I very much look forward to demoing this. Hope i get the opportunity before the intro sale has ended.
Old 30th November 2019
Deleted 4fa6934
looks great, are the future planned swappable component features expected to be a free upgrade? or will you have to pay for the different tubes, etc.
Old 1st December 2019
Gear Nut

Congrats Dan! Can’t wait to check it out.
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Love to support indy devs. I look forward to demo'ing once it's available and buying if it lives up to the GUI!
Old 1st December 2019
I really appreciate all the LOVE from everyone! I assure you, the sonic characteristics are just as tasty as the GUI

I'm currently working on the DEMO version... coding as fast as I can

Hang tight and check the website for updates soon.

www.korneffaudio.com
Old 1st December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Will there be a demo version soon during the intro period?
It probably won't be ready in time :(
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well then you should probably extended the intro period.
Lives for gear

Quote:
All due respect, but wtf? How do u have a intro price, but no demo and then expect us to buy blind? The gui is lovely but sound is most important. I want to buy, but need a demo. Please extend the intro price duration.
Old 1st December 2019
I wish there was a demo and I tested it. I pulled the trigger with the PluginFox shop and actually this comp didn't do it for me at all. And I just saw there's no refund policy on the Korneff Audio website. I just through 41$ by the window.

The saturation sounds too harsh and fuzzy for me, the compression can really sucks the low end on some material (no HPF Sidechain) and overall it doesn't bring something special to my arsenal that I don't already have. I don't doubt other people will be happy with it but for me it's a big bummer. And like I said, be aware that you won't be refunded, so buy it only if you're sure of your choice or if you don't mind buying stuff you won't use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
How do u have a intro price, but no demo and then expect us to buy blind? The gui is lovely but sound is most important. I want to buy, but need a demo. Please extend the intro price duration.
DEMO version is just about done! I'll have it posted to the site in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
I wish there was a demo and I tested it. I pulled the trigger with the PluginFox shop and actually this comp didn't do it for me at all. And I just saw there's no refund policy on the Korneff Audio website. I just through 41$ by the window.

The saturation sounds too harsh and fuzzy for me, it can really sucks the low end on some material (no HPF Sidechain) and overall it doesn't bring something special to my arsenal that I don't already have. I don't doubt other people will be happy with it but for me it's a big bummer. And like I said, be aware that you won't be refunded, so buy it only if you're sure of your choice or if you don't mind buying stuff you won't use.
Bummer! I've only heard the opposite.
A little saturation can go a long way.
Quote:
Bummer! I've only heard the opposite.
A little saturation can go a long way.
I'm not surprised, like I said I don't doubt other users will like it. Let it be clear, I don't want to be negative toward your work Dan. You pull a lot of efforts in it and I respect that. The only problem I have here is that if I had a demo to work with I would have known it's not for me and I would not have lost money.

It's just not the right tool for me and unfortunately I'm stuck with it now. For tube saturation I prefer the sound of Kush plugins or Radiator by Soundtoys for example.
Quote:
Let it be clear, I don't want to be negative toward your work Dan.
Hey! There's nothing wrong with having an honest opinion. I actually appreciate that.

Quote:
It's just not the right tool for me and unfortunately I'm stuck with it now. For tube saturation I prefer the sound of Kush plugins or Radiator by Soundtoys for example.
Just so we're on the same page, you know the main feature of the unit is compression, right? What did you think about that? Did you get a chance to tinker with the different sidechain curves?

FYI,You can set the preamp and bias settings to 0 (bypass) so you can enjoy the rest of the features.
Quote:
Hey! There's nothing wrong with having an honest opinion. I actually appreciate that.

Just so we're on the same page, you know the main feature of the unit is compression, right? What did you think about that? Did you get a chance to tinker with the different sidechain curves?

FYI,You can set the preamp and bias settings to 0 (bypass) so you can enjoy the rest of the features.
Thanks for the kind answer Dan !

yeah we're on the same page here, it's a compressor !!

Well concerning the compression, I find it a bit too sharp to my taste on percussive elements (snare and kick for example), it tends to bring out too much of the click of the transients when I'm seeking punch (maybe I like to push some comps too hard).
I tried it on some keys and synth bass (Zebra2) and it can sweeten it in a good way but nothing I couldn't do with other options I have (DDMF MDE, Pulsar Mu, Softube TLA-100A, UBK-1 to name a few).
I tried it on a drum buss (Trap/Ambient beat) and it tends to suck a good part of the kick sub (here I would like to have a variable Sidechain HPF to relax the action). Same on the mix buss, it tends to grab a bit too much and not in the round/pillowy way I like. But I like the Focus knob which can bring presence and bite to a buss (Mix, drums or guitars). The Weight control sounds muddy on my tracks, not my cup of tea.
Maybe it's my way of using/pushing it or the genre I'm working on...

Wish I had the opportunity to test it before pulling the trigger.
Lives for gear

Demo’s up:

https://korneffaudio.com/product/pawn-shop-comp/

Thanks Dan!-also enjoyed your SS MixCon on YT last night.

cheers!
kjb
Old 1st December 2019
Gear Addict

So I have done some testing and I need much more time but so far I am honestly surprised. My first impression is that this is a great digital "analog" compressor plugin. Surprisingly flexible but also has a distinct analog character. I have also stumbled across many tones that remind me of some of the hear this in meant ti emulate.

I have a few things I want to point out though. These aren't meant to be negative and are only meant to be constructive or just my opinion.

First, the tone controls both add boosts when they read zero. Not sure why this decision was made and I understand this is an analog emulation and analog tone controls impact a signal regardless of setting most time. However, in the plugin world many people will not prefer it this way. Either a bypass for the tone section or accurate readouts are my opinion. Especially considering the fact that these offsets from zero are present regardless of setting.

Second, I'm not the kind of person that usually asks for a resizable interface. However, in the back panel a lot of the writing is very difficult to read. It is useable as is but you can absolutely expect a bunch of people to show up making this request

Third, oversampling. As obvious as this may seem being able to choose OS settings is probably the number one requested feature on any plugin that involves distortion. For good reason. There is a pretty sharp cutoff up around nyquist which I will assume is am attempt to counter aliasing but at least having a button with two options for "high and low" would satisfy me and most others.

As I said before I am only offer my opinion and attempting to do so constructively. If this is your first plugin I can't wait to see your next. I need to do some more testing before deciding if i will be buying it but i can say that if i didn't already own so many compressors i would probably buy it right away.

Oh and also the preset menu and makeup gain are both a little hard to find for anyone not willing to click around. I'm not personally bothered by them but you will probably save yourself a lot of trouble from people writing support or making forum posts about how it has no presets or makeup gain by labeling them. Just a thought.

Anyway, congrats on the new release and I hope all is well.
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

How long is demo? Before I waste my time
📝 Reply