The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SKnote announce AnyTesla - Audio Transformers unit.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Z-drop takes quite a bit of gain to be even partially audible.not sure how somebody could be complaining they don't like it when the settings described here have it acting below the threshold of hearing lol(at -18dBFS peak it is working below the range of 16bit audio...).it is literally inaudible unless you either cascade the instances on the same channel and it takes quite a few,or you overdrive AT so the lights are mostly but not totally orange ,leave stress and shape at zero and then drag them a slither away from neutral and then play with Z-drop amount

It would be cool if it was gainstaged differently or that we could change the factor of it without needing to have the whole thing so hot(kind of like a X amount)
Z-drop models the effect of the drop of Z (!) on the output stage of an amplifier. It can be extremely strong effect on some sources! You can just ignore it (set to zero) if you want simple plòain transformer on an infinitely strong output stage.

This is NOT an optional input stage! It is just the distortion coming from the output tubes (image a guitar amp, output stage going into out transformer) that, seeing a changing Z (the transformers do this) just behave differently and distort. Only this effect is included, NOT a tube stage.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Yes, it does! I don't get why. It's unusable this way.
Do you mean the HPF affects the dry, too? Needs a check. If it affects the dry, it is plain wrong.

That control is not a simple HPF, it is a "design parameter" of the transformers, so it doesn't just hi-pass.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 View Post
I've had him refund me multiple plugins, within a a couple days every time, no questions asked.
Unwanted plugins are not a good thing for us, so here we go :D

We just sold an Hammond B3. Was it bad? Noooo :D

(Uhm... would you actually put that "n" in "an" in front of "Hammond"? I remember you shouldn't in front of "hundred" but I think that's a special case?)
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Unwanted plugins are not a good thing for us, so here we go :D

We just sold an Hammond B3. Was it bad? Noooo :D

(Uhm... would you actually put that "n" in "an" in front of "Hammond"? I remember you shouldn't in front of "hundred" but I think that's a special case?)
I would probably go with sold "a" Hammond. But could be wrong?!.

P.s Hoping for some info on license transfers are they still possible, got someone wanting to transfer over Disto and I would very much like it :D!

Keep up the good work!
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRichSmith View Post
I would probably go with sold "a" Hammond. But could be wrong?!.

P.s Hoping for some info on license transfers are they still possible, got someone wanting to transfer over Disto and I would very much like it :D!

Keep up the good work!
Sure, license transfers are always available at no cost!

Could be quite "hiccup" sometimes but they are officialyy available and we also promote them (a resold license is a lot better than a forgotten file from our perspective).
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sure, license transfers are always available at no cost!

Could be quite "hiccup" sometimes but they are officialyy available and we also promote them (a resold license is a lot better than a forgotten file from our perspective).
Excellent news! Cheers for this.
I believe he has emailed over so hopefully will be transferred over soon. For now i'll just sit and wait (impatiently)!

Thanks again :D
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you attempt to push it like a real transformer you will be very underwhelmed but if you use it how its intended i don't think there is anything ITB that competes with it

this is the undisputed champion of massaging low end in digital stuff which is usually an utter bitch to do without compromising dynamics,or subtracting too much bottom end(at least at the mixing stage)

Anybody who says TI sounds more like a transformer than AT has never used or has little real world experience with real transformers.TI is a soft clipper with some kind of compression or the like going on behind the scenes.it is ruler flat in its bass response at all harmonics.i like what it does but its not a transformer.if you have drawn the conclusion that you don't like AT then you obviously don't like the sound of what transformers do (within a miniscule range to be fair.gets pretty unpleasant when driven hot that sounds nothing like a transformer)

DSP Reviver is just 2 Chebyshev harmonics that gives you the option to feed one into the other serially.its about as digital as digital gets

Saturn 2's models are glorified waveshapers if you don't use the envelope followers.there's nothing special about the "modelling"of its transformer,tape,tube settings beyond them just being approximated transfer curves of each (aka waveshapers)

Spectre is actually my favourite harmonic/saturation add'y thing ITB but it doesn't do what transformers or AnyTesla does
I think that nothing can sound more "complete" than physical models. The limit is set only by the level of depth that can be used.

Another story is what the user expects from the process: it is often something different from what is to be expected. A typical example is when we start testing a process with an emulation and comparing it to something we only have in our minds (e.g. I test a new virtual tube amp but I've never used a real one).

A different model is better than a faithful one, sometimes, for these and more reasons.

What a great time for audio :D
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Let's make good on one of the awesome things SKnote do well - preset sharing.

Here's two quick presets called "StoneyBuss" and "BeatworldBuss", based on the ongoing convo above (I've just approximated what Beatworld suggested but sounded cool on my jams). If you weren't sure, all you need to do is highlight the text I've emboldened below and hit copy, go to an instance of AT, and hit the "paste" button at the top of the plugin. Eccezionale!

"StoneyBuss":

AnyTesla 010000
Band 0.0749999955
Stress 0.0000000000
Shape 0.5000000000
ZDrop 0.0999999940
Mix 1.0000000000
MidSide 0.5000000000
Range 0.0000000000
Gain 0.3133333325
Vol 1.0000000000

"BeatworldBuss":

AnyTesla 010000
Band 0.0399999954
Stress 0.0999999940
Shape 0.0000000000
ZDrop 0.5000000000
Mix 0.5000000000
MidSide 0.5000000000
Range 0.0099999998
Gain 0.4983333349
Vol 1.0000000000

Anybody got cool settings for vocal, bass, etc? I'll happily give them a go.
Is there a file to save these to? Or is it a case of make your own? I am on Mac BTW.

Last edited by Rickskii; 28th May 2020 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Poor spelling
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRichSmith View Post
Excellent news! Cheers for this.
I believe he has emailed over so hopefully will be transferred over soon. For now i'll just sit and wait (impatiently)!

Thanks again :D
Uhm... looks like I cannot find a pending request. Could you please check?

quintosardo at yahoo dot it is the address.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii View Post
Is there a file to save these to? Or is it a case of make your own? I am on Mac BTW.
The load and save buttons on the interface let you do the same thing but on file.

This plain text mode is beautiful (I think) for sharing, while the load and save features go straight to disk.

The first time I saw this kind of text sharing was with presets from Valhalla.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
The load and save buttons on the interface let you do the same thing but on file.

This plain text mode is beautiful (I think) for sharing, while the load and save features go straight to disk.
When i try to save the preset it is asking me where i want to save it to on my computer?
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii View Post
When i try to save the preset it is asking me where i want to save it to on my computer?
Sure, just choose a directory and use just that for your presets, like in Pro Tools (just the process, presets are custom-universal format).
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Uhm... looks like I cannot find a pending request. Could you please check?

quintosardo at yahoo dot it is the address.
Interesting, i've just asked him to send over a message again now . Hopefully should be with you shortly.

Cheers!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you mean the HPF affects the dry, too? Needs a check. If it affects the dry, it is plain wrong.

That control is not a simple HPF, it is a "design parameter" of the transformers, so it doesn't just hi-pass.
I know, I have read the page on the blog. But for me it definitely high-passes the actual signal so I always have it at minimum. Still it high passes a little of the audible signal, but I can live with it.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally off topic of course, but so what... Leading H in English is always pronounced (unlike Spanish and Italian). So, being a consonant, requires just an A preceding it but aN if a vowel follows... I played a Hammond, ate an apple and peeled a hundred oranges.

Hey, we don't just have to talk plugins here!

Talking of license transfers, I remember Quinto saying years ago he would rather have a happy ex-customer than an unhappy customer, hence the free license transfers. I've bought quite a few SKNote plugins second-hand and never had an issue.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Z-drop models the effect of the drop of Z (!) on the output stage of an amplifier. It can be extremely strong effect on some sources! You can just ignore it (set to zero) if you want simple plòain transformer on an infinitely strong output stage.

This is NOT an optional input stage! It is just the distortion coming from the output tubes (image a guitar amp, output stage going into out transformer) that, seeing a changing Z (the transformers do this) just behave differently and distort. Only this effect is included, NOT a tube stage.
Im not the one who said it was an optional drive stage i merely suggested that you could add a multiplier considering this seems to occur after the transtformer model as its far too subtle based on my own tests.what it sounds like it does to me is add some motion to higher harmonics but it usually way below the threshold of hearing based on most the signals i have ran through it.can you provide some examples of where it should be more audible?i've tried quite a few different signals and without AT being hot it does practically nothing that could be deemed audible at sensible gainstaging unless you cascade the instances
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Totally off topic of course, but so what... Leading H in English is always pronounced (unlike Spanish and Italian). So, being a consonant, requires just an A preceding it but aN if a vowel follows... I played a Hammond, ate an apple and peeled a hundred oranges.

Hey, we don't just have to talk plugins here!

Talking of license transfers, I remember Quinto saying years ago he would rather have a happy ex-customer than an unhappy customer, hence the free license transfers. I've bought quite a few SKNote plugins second-hand and never had an issue.
Right, I needed to move away from DSP a bit :D

Yes, dust on plugins is never a good thing.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im not the one who said it was an optional drive stage i merely suggested that you could add a multiplier considering this seems to occur after the transtformer model as its far too subtle based on my own tests.what it sounds like it does to me is add some motion to higher harmonics but it usually way below the threshold of hearing based on most the signals i have ran through it.can you provide some examples of where it should be more audible?i've tried quite a few different signals and without AT being hot it does practically nothing that could be deemed audible at sensible gainstaging unless you cascade the instances
Oh, I was not correcting you just specifying

It is before the transformer model and is affected by how the transformer behaves. The transformer as a load to an output stage.

I will see if I'll be able to upload some interesting example, maybe as a video.
I'm getting used more and more to videos with voice so...
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

It is definitely A Hammond. You use A in front of a consonant and AN in front of a vowel. However, the French and Spaniards would drop a leading H, pronouncing it ´ammond, so there is that. :D:D:D:D:D
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
It is definitely A Hammond. You use A in front of a consonant and AN in front of a vowel. However, the French and Spaniards would drop a leading H, pronouncing it ´ammond, so there is that. :D:D:D:D:D
That's exactly the reason why I was still thinking of using "an", the missing consonant-h in my mind :D
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

So, when is AnyIndefiniteArticle coming out?
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac
i somehow missed that Z is impedance - i've always enjoyed switching impedance on preamps that feature it and how that interacts with different microphones and sources. very cool to have this level of control over it.
Old 29th May 2020
Gee
Lives for gear

Any word on the Aax update?
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
So, when is AnyIndefiniteArticle coming out?
Thinking of AnyVolt. Distortion.

Loving this sequence of physicists' names :D
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thinking of AnyVolt. Distortion.
Yes please!
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 View Post
Yes please!
Only if the concept proofs to be outstanding

It is currently a Volterra thing with super-smooth control and no latency. With optional sampling.
Old 31st May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It is currently a Volterra thing
You mean it involves convolution of pre sampled hardware?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
You mean it involves convolution of pre sampled hardware?
Too, but also manual settings...
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too, but also manual settings...
I don´t know the technique behind it. Is that a good or a bad thing (Volterra)?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I don´t know the technique behind it. Is that a good or a bad thing (Volterra)?
It is a black box approach, you extract a device's response without caring of (or not even knowing what) is inside.
A strong approximation of the theorical model (as only a few components are kept) but a lot more interesting and pleasant than a plain convolution account (which cannot distort, is linear).
I deeply prefer component level modrls, as they just "behave" (when well done) and are absolutely smooth and parametric (e.g. you have a whole eq, not a single part of it).

The future AnyVolt adds the possibility of defining the kernels like a multilayer eq, which is very creative and dynamic.

Last edited by quintosardo; 31st May 2020 at 05:54 PM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear