MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces - Page 29 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

To the guys above looking for the driver, here it is: https://motu.com/download

Question: Does anyone else's unit have a bit of a delay in the input channels 1/2 gain knobs? As in, if you've got a mic or guitar plugged in and turn the knob, does it take a second to engage at the gain level you've stopped at?

Bit odd, but nothing to worry about I'm sure.
Here for the gear

Will use only a keypad controller.
Deleted eba2df0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswifty_ View Post

Question: Does anyone else's unit have a bit of a delay in the input channels 1/2 gain knobs? As in, if you've got a mic or guitar plugged in and turn the knob, does it take a second to engage at the gain level you've stopped at?

there is a small delay in gain adjustments as the controls are digital.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyan1984 View Post
Went through the whole thread and now my head is a total mess. I want to order the MOTU, but can't decide if 2 or 4. I will use it to record guitar, bass, to plug in a Novation or a similar keypad controller. Also, I would like to use it as a sound card for movies, internet and maybe digitize some of my LPs, just for fun, but I guess I won't be able to do it.
I'm on a WIN 10 PC - Ryzen 5 3600, AsRock B550Pro AM4 motherboard, the PC is brand new, one month old.
I am using Reaper, Ableton Live 10.
The only question you need to ask yourself is : how many inputs and outputs do I need ?
Based on what you describes, I think the M2 is ok. But you may need more in 2 years... Just choose !
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
The only question you need to ask yourself is : how many inputs and outputs do I need ?
Based on what you describes, I think the M2 is ok. But you may need more in 2 years... Just choose !
Yes, I also think the M2 is for me. Hope it works with AMD Ryzen 5 3600.
Gear Addict

Quote:

well from your initial post i was looking for a new firmware, not a new driver.
this is what you wrote, and this is what can be found. if its a mistake np but so far i dont get what you meant by stating "the most recent firmware from nov 18". there seems to be neither new firmware nor a new driver.

also the firmware is under support not download.

Here for the gear

A noob question. I don't have studio monitors. Can I use my PC speakers+subwoofer if I buy the Motu 2 or any other interface?

EDIT: Figured out I can use the headphone jack for my pc speakers with an adapter. That way can I use the Motu M2 as a sound card for everything ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
this is what you wrote, and this is what can be found. if its a mistake np but so far i dont get what you meant by stating "the most recent firmware from nov 18". there seems to be neither new firmware nor a new driver.

Dumb question maybe, but how do you know what's your firmware version is ?
In the firmware page from MOTU, I don't see any mention of the M serie.
And by the way, I was thinking the M2/M4 didn't have any Audio Setup app. But maybe I'm missing something...
EDIT : ok sorry, I found the firmware link. But still I don't know how to check the firmware version, and if it exists such thing as an audio setup app...
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Dumb question maybe, but how do you know what's your firmware version is ?
In the firmware page from MOTU, I don't see any mention of the M serie.
And by the way, I was thinking the M2/M4 didn't have any Audio Setup app. But maybe I'm missing something...
EDIT : ok sorry, I found the firmware link. But still I don't know how to check the firmware version, and if it exists such thing as an audio setup app...
yes, this is the version i use. and in the message you quoted you will see it listed under "USB-C Audio" there you will spot M2/M4 pointing to the last firmware. see the attached image, unless i misunderstood you.

Attached Thumbnails
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces-firmware.png  
Gear Maniac

One thing that I do not understand.

How come we don’t get an email announcing driver/firmware updates?

We see this with some plugin devs as well. You have to go look for them instead of just getting the information.
Here for the gear

Darn, with my new M4 I do experience the often-described clicks and pops in audio playback from normal music players, browser etc.
For now I have only tested playback using the WDM driver, not been using ASIO, recording much etc.

The clicks/pops happen very infrequently (maybe one every 5-10 minutes) but they do happen repeatedly, at all buffer sizes in the Motu tool.
This is with two completely different PCs (Intel Notebook and old AMD Desktop PC), both with Windows 10.

Especially the old AMD is problematic, the USB 3.0 ports (Etron controller) do not detect the device at all, on the front USB 2.0 ports there was some strange whining noise ground loop in the recording signal, and the back USB 2.0 ports work but have the clicks/pops. And only on the AMD, when I set the buffer size to 1024 sometimes extreme distortion lasting for 1 second happens, luckily this is not present on lower buffer sizes.

Have already tried the usual tips like configuring USB power etc.
Very annoying that any 1$ USB sound card can achieve stable playback but the M4 can't.
I'll try to further narrow it down using older drivers, diagnostic tools, ask support etc. but currently I'm a bit annoyed with this.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kderh View Post
Darn, with my new M4 I do experience the often-described clicks and pops in audio playback from normal music players, browser etc.
For now I have only tested playback using the WDM driver, not been using ASIO, recording much etc.

The clicks/pops happen very infrequently (maybe one every 5-10 minutes) but they do happen repeatedly, at all buffer sizes in the Motu tool.
This is with two completely different PCs (Intel Notebook and old AMD Desktop PC), both with Windows 10.

Especially the old AMD is problematic, the USB 3.0 ports (Etron controller) do not detect the device at all, on the front USB 2.0 ports there was some strange whining noise ground loop in the recording signal, and the back USB 2.0 ports work but have the clicks/pops. And only on the AMD, when I set the buffer size to 1024 sometimes extreme distortion lasting for 1 second happens, luckily this is not present on lower buffer sizes.

Have already tried the usual tips like configuring USB power etc.
Very annoying that any 1$ USB sound card can achieve stable playback but the M4 can't.
I'll try to further narrow it down using older drivers, diagnostic tools, ask support etc. but currently I'm a bit annoyed with this.
It is strange. I have a new Intel machine and have not had a single problem with my Motu. It’s been working flawlessly since I got it back in July
Here for the gear

So, the Motu works whenever it wants on AMD PCs? Should I buy the M2 since I am with an Ryzen 5 3600?
Old 23rd November 2020
Here for the gear

Well it works, but just not 100% stable.
When I mean "old" I mean really old AMD PC, it is a Phenom-CPU based one that's otherwise very stable. So I can't say anything about recent Ryzen ones.
Here for the gear

So it's a hit and miss, I see.Well, maybe I'll just buy one and see for myself..Somewhere I read, that all those interfaces are tested and made over Intel and thus the problems with AMD. But still it's 2020 ffs, not 1990, these things should work with all.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yes, this is the version i use. and in the message you quoted you will see it listed under "USB-C Audio" there you will spot M2/M4 pointing to the last firmware. see the attached image, unless i misunderstood you.

Thanks for the answer, but how do you get the picture embedded in your post ?
I speak about the picture just above, the black one with the "open this window when hardware...." and the infos about sample rate and buffer size.
It may seem dumb, but it looks like a Motu Audio Setup app and I didn't know such a thing did exist for the M serie. How do you install it ?
(truly sorry for the dumb question, but I was searching for it and didn't find it anywhere)

EDIT : ok sorry I just understand it right now : it's only for Windows, and it seems there is no such thing for Mac... I better read more precisely the manual...
Here for the gear

Can anyone please test this?
I can get it to pop relatively often by choosing in the motu tool: 192k with buffer size 4096 (the highest), and then playing back some youtube audio.
For some reason it seems to pop more often with higher buffer sizes, which seems to not make any sense! Maybe my unit is defective?
Gear Maniac
As often I keep saying this over again. Most problems people are experiencing is most likely to do with a Windows update or their particular machine. I have had three different Computers with with my MOTU M4 and 828ES running flawlessly with no clicks or pops. I use Presonus Studio One 4.5 Pro.

My 11 year HP elitebook 3580p laptop used an intel Dual core processor that recently died on me that I replaced with now a Legion 5 gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 processor. I use the M4 for Mobile on the Legion 5. The old HP had both Windows 7 and 10 installed. Everything worked fine with no issues. My custom build desktop tower with a Quad Core AMD processor that I built back in 2015 also ran Windows 7 64bit and upgraded the OS to Windows 10 3 years ago. I use the 828ES on that machine. No issues rock soild. Tested the M4 on it, no issues.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post
As often I keep saying this over again. Most problems people are experiencing is most likely to do with a Windows update or their particular machine. I have had three different Computers with with my MOTU M4 and 828ES running flawlessly with no clicks or pops. I use Presonus Studio One 4.5 Pro.

My 11 year HP elitebook 3580p laptop used an intel Dual core processor that recently died on me that I replaced with now a Legion 5 gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 processor. I use the M4 for Mobile on the Legion 5. The old HP had both Windows 7 and 10 installed. Everything worked fine with no issues. My custom build desktop tower with a Quad Core AMD processor that I built back in 2015 also ran Windows 7 64bit and upgraded the OS to Windows 10 3 years ago. I use the 828ES on that machine. No issues rock soild. Tested the M4 on it, no issues.
Thank you so much for giving me hope towards buying a MOTU M2. My PC is brand new, only a month old, so I guess it should be alright.
Thanks man, the beer's on me
Gear Addict

calgan its no issue at all to ask. i should have mentioned its a screenshot of a win10 motu app. sorry its not available on mac which i would have assumed.
i looked in the manual and on page 12 i see that you can retreive and set the information.

the examples features performer lite but it should be same with any other core audio compatible host software.
sorry cant check or look it up clearer as i havent used a mac since powerpc times
Here for the gear

Hmm after some more testing, ASIO seems to work fine (update: not fine even at 4096 samples). But Windows sound is playing up.

I've set the interface to 19200k/4800 in the tool and used Performer Lite to play back some audio in ASIO mode (19200k). This audio is fine (update: not fine).

At the very same time, Windows sounds (the typical ding sounds which play when you click on something that's disabled) are played back distored!

Are you experiencing this too? Maybe my unit is really defective...

Update: Just got a dropout on ASIO too.
Old 23rd November 2020
Here for the gear

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new, but I have some questions about the M2 and M4. I'm getting my first audio setup, and I've been looking at the M2 or M4 for my interface, though I'm a bit worried by the reported issues with Windows. The system would have to work well with both Mac and Windows, and while I'm not worried with the Mac, there's been a lot of back and forth on it working with Windows. Does anyone know if this is still an issue, and if it isn't reliable, what would be my next best option? Thanks!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soketaki View Post
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new, but I have some questions about the M2 and M4. I'm getting my first audio setup, and I've been looking at the M2 or M4 for my interface, though I'm a bit worried by the reported issues with Windows. The system would have to work well with both Mac and Windows, and while I'm not worried with the Mac, there's been a lot of back and forth on it working with Windows. Does anyone know if this is still an issue, and if it isn't reliable, what would be my next best option? Thanks!
Some Windows users still have problems. It seems like AMD machines are worse off.
I am on a new and powerful Intel machine and I have not had a single problem. I was worried to but I bought it and it’s been working perfectly every day.
Here for the gear

Ok, I have a Microsoft Surface Book, so an I7-6600U, hopefully that'll work. Also, how valuable do people feel is the input-playback dial on the M4?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soketaki View Post
Ok, I have a Microsoft Surface Book, so an I7-6600U, hopefully that'll work. Also, how valuable do people feel is the input-playback dial on the M4?
I can’t say if it will work but if it does you will have a great interface.
How valuable is the mix-knob? Very valuable to me when recording vocals. My previous interface didn’t have one and I missed it.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Turning the M4 on AFTER Windows has booted appears to have negated if not entirely resolved (as in I still don't exactly know what it was doing) the remaining odd sample rate conflicts that were going on. I can live with that, how nice that there is a switch!

Windows 10 users having issues after doing all the obvious* and recommended stuff, try that. Start your PC with the M series box off and wait until Windows has fully started before turning it on.

Switching it off and on again may do the same. Yep, oldest advice in the book.

* do get the latest version of Windows, there was an update quite recently.
Here for the gear

Quote:

Well this is awkward..

My mistake, I definitely meant driver update, not firmware.

But yeah, that link now has the most recent driver update being set as March 2020, but I SWEAR I was on there on Friday and saw, and downloaded, a new driver for Nov 18, 2020.

Very confused, lol
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well this is awkward..

My mistake, I definitely meant driver update, not firmware.

But yeah, that link now has the most recent driver update being set as March 2020, but I SWEAR I was on there on Friday and saw, and downloaded, a new driver for Nov 18, 2020.

Very confused, lol
np thanks for clarifying and mentioning it in the first place ! motu may have recalled a version on the 18th if they found some late issue with it. in that case we may soon see an update.
Old 24th November 2020
Here for the gear

The pulled November version was not showing channels 3+4 on M4s.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kderh View Post
The pulled November version was not showing channels 3+4 on M4s.
seems like a small afterthought thanks, that explains it indeed!
📝 Reply