The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
at least Thomann and Musikhaus Korn still seem to have them in stock. Its Germany but i would assume them shipping everywhere.
I am talking about M4!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir View Post
I am talking about M4!
I have a brand new M4 in box here (UK) that I’m open to selling.
Bought it as a backup while my main I/F at my home studio was away being upgraded, but in the end it was only connected and used for one session before my main I/F was back, so the MOTU is just sitting here unused.

Not sure where you are or what shipping restrictions are in place as of now mind you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbeats View Post
I have a brand new M4 in box here (UK) that I’m open to selling.
Bought it as a backup while my main I/F at my home studio was away being upgraded, but in the end it was only connected and used for one session before my main I/F was back, so the MOTU is just sitting here unused.

Not sure where you are or what shipping restrictions are in place as of now mind you.
In Germany at the moment. If I was in the UK I would have jumped on your offer. It is also a matter of delivery with the virus around. Am still waiting for a couple of letters from abroad that should have been here 5-6 days ago already. Where did you get your M4 from?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In Germany at the moment. If I was in the UK I would have jumped on your offer. It is also a matter of delivery with the virus around. Am still waiting for a couple of letters from abroad that should have been here 5-6 days ago already. Where did you get your M4 from?
Bought it early January from Juno Records, as couldn’t find it at the usual suspects.

Looks like out of stock there now also. Good luck mate, stay safe.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I don't know how to feel about this guy. Motu's support has been really amazing, but the thing still just has problems and I'm kind of done with it. I don't get why I can use a cheapo behringer 404 for damn near 7 years without a single issue. I'm not exaggerating the thing just always worked and I trusted it to work. I just feel kind of ripped off because the device is out of it's return window and just kind of wish I had bought another umc404.

I really wish I could afford RME, this is lame and I feel like a product beta tester who had to pay full price.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Ness View Post
I just feel kind of ripped off because the device is out of it's return window and just kind of wish I had bought another umc404.
Just sell it. Mine sold within six hours of listing it and I took a $25 hit on it. It's not ideal but we've all spent more than that on a single meal before, and I figure the interface was worth a shot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
New user here. Got my M4 yesterday to replace M-Audio M-Track Eight, which has too many ins and outs for my use. Hardly ever use more than two inputs.

So far, I'm really happy with the purchase. I'm on Win10 with latest updates and connect via USB 3.1 C straight to the motherboard.

Compared to the M-Audio, input latency is lower but output latency a bit higher. Total roundtrip is 6.7ms in Sonar with 44,1khz and 64 buffer. 16 buffer took the input latency down to 1ms and total about 3.2ms but crackling appeared in a session. Gotta try the 32 buffer too. With standalone amp sims the 16 buffer was totally ok.

The quality of the interface seems good. A solid build and the LCD is really nice. Actually it shows the levels. Compared to the M-Audio which has leds but is more like silent or red :D And the M4 doesn't get warm as the M-Audio got a bit hot in the chassis when in use.

Tried with Sonar, Studio One 4 Pro, Amplitube 4, Overloud TH-3 and ReValver 4. No issues.

The headphones will get loud. Too loud. I have Audio Technica ATH-M50X's. A fine combination.

FWIW I played with the M4 only a bit yesterday but seems just fine.

So far I give it 5/5.
Very helpful. Are you on Win 10?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

just rolled the dice on one of these. Sweetwater must have just gotten them in today, i don't think they were in stock yesterday when i looked. they have just two more left right now.

Windows 10 here, hopefully i don't have any problems with it. looking forward to reporting that it's working smoothly, we'll see... been without an interface for weeks now, haven't been doing anything.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Very helpful. Are you on Win 10?
Yes. With latest updates.

Have had the M4 for a while now and works flawlessly. No issues. The preamps are really clean and the I/O's are enough for me. I've had the device switched on all day and been playing and recording and whatever no have experienced no crackling or anything (excpet when I tried with buffer at 16 samples, it was ok to play with sims but in my song projects there was crackling).

I'd still give it 5/5. Perfect for my needs and the display actually gives this 6/5 =)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
Yes. With latest updates.

Have had the M4 for a while now and works flawlessly. No issues. The preamps are really clean and the I/O's are enough for me. I've had the device switched on all day and been playing and recording and whatever no have experienced no crackling or anything (excpet when I tried with buffer at 16 samples, it was ok to play with sims but in my song projects there was crackling).

I'd still give it 5/5. Perfect for my needs and the display actually gives this 6/5 =)
Thanks again. Still using Sonar myself so this was helpful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Here's how I started my morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc9S...ature=youtu.be

I have a conflicted relationship with my m4 for sure lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Ness View Post
Here's how I started my morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc9S...ature=youtu.be

I have a conflicted relationship with my m4 for sure lol.
yes, same issue occurs here too after the initial crackling was resolved. Not every night but maybe 80% of nights. PC also runs 24/7.
It gets resolved with a reboot. Any powersaving (usb powermgmt, usb in devmgnt, the nvidia power settings to max even cpu core parking is off now) is off btw. if i let it play back something over night over night this behavior wont happen. i guess not many experience it as most have their PCs OFF over nighte

besides this im super happy with the motu now. as instrument player i could reduce the latency to the point of not interfering with improvisations. awesome.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

Any news about the reported issues on Windows users? I saw that MOTU released new drivers that might -hopefully- overcome some of them...

I wanted to ask for advice on a new audio interface. I am looking for a new interface which I will be using mainly for headphone and monitor playback, with ocasional stereo recording also. My priorities are very similar to those susumusic listed some time ago:

Audio Quality (DAC) - Preamp Quality -Instrument Line (Guitar)

At first I was considering buying the Clarett 2pre, but then the M4 came and I can't really make up my mind. My budget is around $350 and I am a Windows user.

I know some of you own/owned both interfaces so I thought maybe you could help me decide which one to buy.

This is my first post so I apologize if this isn't the right timing to post this or even if it's not the place to do so
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Motu M4 4x4

So I never post on here but felt like I had something to add. My Motu M4 4x4 has been a nightmare since I bought it for two reasons. One is that I have to reset the sample rate when I boot my computer or it plays audio pitched up. Like I have to go click 96 khz, then back to 44.1 in order for it to play sound normally. Every single time. Sorry if this has been mentioned before - didn't want to read through all 16 pages.

The other reason is that it just sounds really unnatural to me sound-wise. The only reason I bought it is because I was starting to have firewire issues on my saffire pro 24 dsp interface. So I figured hey I'll buy a USB-C one that's the new thing right? Oh and LED screen? But I can't get over how the sound presents itself unnaturally to me. I can't explain it exactly. It sounds super crystal clear but it's like not musical at all. Drives me kind of crazy. I have Focal CMS 65 studio monitors and a CMS Sub I am running through and they just seem kind of lifeless compared to the saffire. I know this is opening a can of worms for the DAC community but I am hearing it may have to do with the analog components more than the DA conversion? I don't know but I do know that my saffire pro 24 dsp sounds better (more depth, better imaging) even though I sense maybe a slight amount of detail missed. Maybe the Motu 4x4 just sounds harsher so I am keying in on details I would not otherwise hear on the saffire but hard to say.

I'll deal with the saffire's intermittent issues just so I don't have to feel like I'm missing something from my audio. The difference is not subtle by the way.

Thanks for listening. This is all based on my subjective flawed human experience. It could be that the Motu reveals more detail and so my brain does not like that and would prefer a "warmer" sound - it's hard to nail it down exactly. But either way it's definitely a big difference to me. The Motu feels like it screeches at high volume, the saffire I feel like I can never turn it loud enough because it just sounds....so.....good..... alright back to 80 db
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrareform View Post
So I never post on here but felt like I had something to add. My Motu M4 4x4 has been a nightmare since I bought it for two reasons. One is that I have to reset the sample rate when I boot my computer or it plays audio pitched up. Like I have to go click 96 khz, then back to 44.1 in order for it to play sound normally. Every single time. Sorry if this has been mentioned before - didn't want to read through all 16 pages.

The other reason is that it just sounds really unnatural to me sound-wise. The only reason I bought it is because I was starting to have firewire issues on my saffire pro 24 dsp interface. So I figured hey I'll buy a USB-C one that's the new thing right? Oh and LED screen? But I can't get over how the sound presents itself unnaturally to me. I can't explain it exactly. It sounds super crystal clear but it's like not musical at all. Drives me kind of crazy. I have Focal CMS 65 studio monitors and a CMS Sub I am running through and they just seem kind of lifeless compared to the saffire. I know this is opening a can of worms for the DAC community but I am hearing it may have to do with the analog components more than the DA conversion? I don't know but I do know that my saffire pro 24 dsp sounds better (more depth, better imaging) even though I sense maybe a slight amount of detail missed. Maybe the Motu 4x4 just sounds harsher so I am keying in on details I would not otherwise hear on the saffire but hard to say.

I'll deal with the saffire's intermittent issues just so I don't have to feel like I'm missing something from my audio. The difference is not subtle by the way.

Thanks for listening. This is all based on my subjective flawed human experience. It could be that the Motu reveals more detail and so my brain does not like that and would prefer a "warmer" sound - it's hard to nail it down exactly. But either way it's definitely a big difference to me. The Motu feels like it screeches at high volume, the saffire I feel like I can never turn it loud enough because it just sounds....so.....good..... alright back to 80 db

That might have something to do with the Sabre ESS32 chip. I am still waiting to try an M4 as they are sold out AGAIN in minutes in Europe.
My Aorus z390 Xtreme motherboard has a Sabre ESS32 chip too, with 127db DNR. When I first set my 9900k pc up and played some tracks through it my initial reaction was like yours, that is sounds very very detailed but a lot harsher than the older pc board. Sounds amazing for classical and acoustic guitar music. For dance music and metal/rock I had to EQ it a bit on the realtek panel.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...REME-rev-10#kf

Click on the Hi-fi Audio System for more details.

The specs are mad for a pc motherboard. If they only released some sick ASIO drivers for it hehe
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Oh yea wow that is a pretty serious motherboard haha. I had two bad mobos in a row from gigabyte and won't mess with them again unfortunately as they make some cost efficient boards for sure.

Yea it may have to do with the chip but it seems perhaps more to do with the analog components as some people say. I'm really not sure. Maybe the chip is amazing and just the TRS outs suck or some other component?

I am not a hardware engineer so I could not tell you. I've heard varying ideas as to why it may be. I can imagine on most gear you wouldn't be able to tell a difference but these speakers sound so realistic and I've been listening to them for so long that I can tell when something sounds unnatural with them.

I'll deal with the intermittent firewire issues so I can be all
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Windows 10 here, hopefully i don't have any problems with it. looking forward to reporting that it's working smoothly, we'll see...
so far, so good!

can't put my finger on it, but it does sound a bit "different" than i'm used to. i think? maybe? for 10+ years all i used was an original MOTU UltraLite, then over the past year or two i've been using NI Maschine MK3 and Roland TR-8S as an interface, which i ran through the UltraLite as a "digital mixer" (couldn't use the MOTU as an interface because i no longer had Firewire on the new computer - now the PSU is dead, so i can't use it at all). i almost think things sound more clear and "separated" with the M4 (??). hard to say if it's "better" or not though, but something does seem a little different. the highs (hats, cymbals, etc) do seem to jump out, really clear and defined.

haven't tried it yet with Ableton, etc just listening to tunes on Spotify. certainly gets plenty loud, and i feel like i can push it more without it sounding like "too much" (??). the headphone output is loud as hell, i can only turn it up about half way without busting my ears (cheap-ish Sennheiser HD280's).

plenty happy with it right now, still need to see how it handles electric guitar on the inputs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
i almost think things sound more clear and "separated" with the M4 (??). hard to say if it's "better" or not though, but something does seem a little different. the highs (hats, cymbals, etc) do seem to jump out, really clear and defined.
That was my experience as well. My ears felt it was an improvement and I got quite a joy out of listening back to some of my own works hearing detail I didn't even know what there. Kinda neat.

Quote:
That might have something to do with the Sabre ESS32 chip. I am still waiting to try an M4 as they are sold out AGAIN in minutes in Europe.
My Aorus z390 Xtreme motherboard has a Sabre ESS32 chip too, with 127db DNR. When I first set my 9900k pc up and played some tracks through it my initial reaction was like yours, that is sounds very very detailed but a lot harsher than the older pc board. Sounds amazing for classical and acoustic guitar music. For dance music and metal/rock I had to EQ it a bit on the realtek panel.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...REME-rev-10#kf

Click on the Hi-fi Audio System for more details.

The specs are mad for a pc motherboard. If they only released some sick ASIO drivers for it hehe
You can't really make a claim about any chip in this regard, the implementation is what is important. For example the RME ADI-2 uses the same chip as the schiit fulla, price difference is massive there and performance is different as well.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best99 View Post
At first I was considering buying the Clarett 2pre, but then the M4 came and I can't really make up my mind. My budget is around $350 and I am a Windows user.
I'm also trying to decide between the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre and Motu M4.
I wonder who the more reputable manufacturer is, Focusrite or Motu,
and who is more likely to support their product the longest ?
I'm still using a 20 year old M-Audio Delta 66 on a Win 7 32 bit computer,
but planning to move my audio functions to my Win 10 64 bit computer.
Problem is, M-Audio stopped support and updating drivers for the Delta 66 in March 2012, and there's no Win 10 driver available.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is there any more reports on how stable these interfaces are with an iPad running Cubasis 3/Auria Pro etc?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b121 View Post
I'm also trying to decide between the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre and Motu M4.
I wonder who the more reputable manufacturer is, Focusrite or Motu,
and who is more likely to support their product the longest ?
I'm still using a 20 year old M-Audio Delta 66 on a Win 7 32 bit computer,
but planning to move my audio functions to my Win 10 64 bit computer.
Problem is, M-Audio stopped support and updating drivers for the Delta 66 in March 2012, and there's no Win 10 driver available.
I used to have a Delta 66 and liked it fine, only giving it up because support for the older PCI sort of went away and the bridging thing didn't work well when I rebuilt. I was lucky enough to find a used RME HDSPe AIO PCIe for far less $$$ than you generally see it...

If you're used to PCI latency for ITB DAW use (as opposed to the so-called "zero latency monitoring" which almost all of them have but is far more limited in value), the problem is that none of the USB interfaces - AFAIK based on 2nd-hand websearching mainly - are likely to be terribly good, except for the RME stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quasar....

I appreciate the suggestion, used gear is a tempting alternative.
I'm a little leary to go down that path though, been burnt a time or two.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I'm considering getting a MOTU M4 since I especially like it's monitoring options (being able to connect to speaker pairs, switching between those, mono button...I prefer to keep things neat and have everything in one device), loopback functionality also seems nice.

However, I'm mainly concerned about latency, driver performance (on Windows) and DA conversion.
Latency seems to be alright but it seems that people are having driver/ stability issues (as reported here and in other reviews as well) and I'm not sure about DA conversion (?).

I was initially looking at a RME Babyface Pro (not necessarily the new FS) because it seems to be a safe bet regarding driver stability, latency and probably DA conversion as well...of course it's roughly three times the price of the M4 and doesn't come with the monitoring options that the M4 has... so
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
I'm considering getting a MOTU M4 since I especially like it's monitoring options (being able to connect to speaker pairs, switching between those, mono button...I prefer to keep things neat and have everything in one device), loopback functionality also seems nice.
not really sure if you can "switch between" monitors? the monitor 3/4 button seems to be for the inputs, haven't tried it yet (just using one input right now for guitar). pretty sure if you have two sets of monitors connected they'll both be going all the time (??), unless you route them to a separate mixer after the M4. (oh, duh... i guess you'd switch between them using the master output settings on the DAW or the computer itself.)

there is no "mono button", the 'MON' button is for direct monitoring (which seems a bit useless for guitar as you're just hearing the dry signal). i also don't think you can "gang" inputs 1/2 for a stereo signal, like you can on the UltraLite/etc. haven't tried the loopback function yet, not sure how that works.

i actually haven't read the manual yet either, just skimming it now.

Quote:
However, I'm mainly concerned about latency, driver performance (on Windows) and DA conversion.
Latency seems to be alright but it seems that people are having driver/ stability issues (as reported here and in other reviews as well) and I'm not sure about DA conversion (?).
latency seems pretty good to me so far, at least as good as anything else i've used if not better. haven't played around with the settings much at all yet. no driver/stability issues as of yet, been using it the past few days with no problems here. not sure about D/A conversion, but seems fine so far. a quick test with electric guitar the other night went very well, lots of available gain on the inputs 1/2.

not sure how it compares to the RME, but so far i'd say it's as good or better than anything else i've used.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey all, new to the forum. I'm curious if it's possible to set up the headphone output on the M4 so that you're only listening to one of the inputs but not the other.

If I'm driving a dry DI signal from my guitar in input 1 and a mic'ed up cab in input 2, can I configure the unit to only hear the amp in my headphones? I wouldn't want to hear both.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes, I believe so, you would only turn the "MON" (Monitor) button on for the one input, or which ever input you want to hear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaph View Post
Yes, I believe so, you would only turn the "MON" (Monitor) button on for the one input, or which ever input you want to hear.
And for anyone wondering, the direct monitoring sends your mono inputs to both left and right, no input 1 only on the left, 2 on the right, etc... I was just wondering myself so I decided to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargazm View Post
If I'm driving a dry DI signal from my guitar in input 1 and a mic'ed up cab in input 2, can I configure the unit to only hear the amp in my headphones? I wouldn't want to hear both.
Yeah just turn the monitoring dial all the way to the left to "input". If you need to mix it with DAW stuff set it in the middle and mute the guitar record channel.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
not really sure if you can "switch between" monitors? the monitor 3/4 button seems to be for the inputs, haven't tried it yet (just using one input right now for guitar).
Thanks, I was mistaken there.

So now I'm mainly concerned with DA conversion. Has anyone compared the MOTU M4 with more expensive units regarding "playback" quality?

I've never been able to compare my budget level interface with a more expensive device and people seem to have different opinions on whether these differences are actually audible in most situations (latency, self-noise etc. are measurable, while audio playback quality etc. is quite subjective to a certain degree).
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargazm View Post
Hey all, new to the forum. I'm curious if it's possible to set up the headphone output on the M4 so that you're only listening to one of the inputs but not the other.
No, you cant. I bought a unit to do this and it is not possible. Even confirmed by Motu support. I posted earlier in this thread.

Edit - it doesnt work with digital inputs (eg. Routing Ableton cue tracks to 1/2 and master to 3/4) but should work with the 1/4" inputs. I missed you meant the input channels. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

thanks masaph, P. Ness, and norisounds!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search