The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamajomama View Post
I installed the M4 Mac Driver. Is there a console type software where you can control the I/O?
I thought someone mentioned some kind of software, but I don't see any from the website. Try contacting them. MOTU has great customer service.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I thought someone mentioned some kind of software, but I don't see any from the website. Try contacting them. MOTU has great customer service.
Gotcha yeh have reached out to them. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, just bought the M4 today and have been really enjoying the unit. The reason I got the M4 over the M2 is I'd like to connect my turntable to inputs 3-4 to listen to records. I noticed that the input levels for inputs 3 and 4 are very low, where the record is at a barely-audible level after having (i) selected monitoring for inputs 3 and 4 (ii) set the input monitor mix to all input no playback (iii) maxed out the monitor knob (iv) fully cranked my phono preamp (my turntable doesn't have a built in preamp) before the signal clips. The levels as shown on the front LCD panel peaks at well below a quarter of the bars.

I've also tested these inputs by replacing the turntable with a sampler outputting normal stereo tracks - noticed the same issue with noticeably low input gain.

Is there a gain knob somewhere for inputs 3 and 4 that I'm missing? or a way to control input levels for those 2 inputs via software? It's a little strange there seems to be so little juice for these two inputs
You haven't stated if you turntable output is at line level. I don't know if that is standard, but if it's lower, you might need to amplify it.

Have you tried sending everything through a DAW, like the included Digital Performer Lite? There might be a way to set the signal for 3 and 4.

I guess this would be considered live monitoring. The manual states to look at those instructions on page 20. “Monitoring through the M2 or M4”
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
You haven't stated if you turntable output is at line level. I don't know if that is standard, but if it's lower, you might need to amplify it.
Thanks for that and therein lies the issue - just received feedback from their customer service and they noted that "Input 3 and 4 on the M4 are calibrated for pro line level signals. A phono preamp is not designed for this type of input". I just double-checked that for my phono-pre "the line output jacks are low impedance" - not entirely sure whether that means "consumer line level" but either way it plainly isn't pro line level.

You're right I think the only solution is to monitor through a DAW and turn up the gain. Appreciate the tips.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that and therein lies the issue - just received feedback from their customer service and they noted that "Input 3 and 4 on the M4 are calibrated for pro line level signals. A phono preamp is not designed for this type of input". I just double-checked that for my phono-pre "the line output jacks are low impedance" - not entirely sure whether that means "consumer line level" but either way it plainly isn't pro line level.

You're right I think the only solution is to monitor through a DAW and turn up the gain. Appreciate the tips.
It would be a lot of cable converters, but if you happen to have a two channel D.I. box, that could up your signal to line, I think.

Really surprised the MOTU can't work with this. Don't know how common your turntable's output type is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Audient EVO interfaces
https://youtu.be/1Mdoc2HLgvY
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Audient EVO interfaces
https://youtu.be/1Mdoc2HLgvY
Lack of I/O is a hard pass for me. No extra I/O or inserts for outboard gear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
What about the SSL 2+? Anyone thinks it will be better then the motu m4?
Need a new small interface for quick home work when I’m not in the studio... really torn between m4 and ssl 2+...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohadnissim View Post
Need a new small interface for quick home work when I’m not in the studio... really torn between m4 and ssl 2+...
Hard to tell with the SSL 2/2+ being so new, but one thing's for sure - the SSL 2 is 2x2 and 2+ is 2x4, making it a relevant competitor only for the M2. If you need the extra 2 inputs, M4 still wins by default.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddu View Post
M4 review on Amazon:
Sound Quality: The M4 sounds 'fine' to me - I don't have 'golden ears' and after switching back and forth between this and a focusrite scarlet 4i4, nothing immediately jumps out as drastically different.
I see refurbished Scarlett 4i4 units selling for about 80€ cheaper than the M4 and was wondering if you think there is a big enough difference in recording and playback sound quality to justify the price difference?

I will be using this to only record hardware synths so no guitar or vocals. On Mac so the win driver problems is a non-issue for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on the spec I'm seeing, I think the MOTU stuff is a cut above.

The software package with SSL is compelling, but I'm so interested in the PT stuff anymore. But that SSL software would really be a good start for a beginner.

I still think the MOTU design is really well thought out. The LED meters are a big deal and the DAC here is just steps above everything in this price range.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norisounds View Post
I see refurbished Scarlett 4i4 units selling for about 80€ cheaper than the M4 and was wondering if you think there is a big enough difference in recording and playback sound quality to justify the price difference?

I will be using this to only record hardware synths so no guitar or vocals. On Mac so the win driver problems is a non-issue for me.
I just remember the headphone amp not being very loud when I owned a 2i4.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Based on the spec I'm seeing, I think the MOTU stuff is a cut above.

The software package with SSL is compelling, but I'm so interested in the PT stuff anymore. But that SSL software would really be a good start for a beginner.

I still think the MOTU design is really well thought out. The LED meters are a big deal and the DAC here is just steps above everything in this price range.
Yeah, I figured it’s just the SSL name that pulls you in. I’m not interested in the plugins, I do use pro tools but only need a good sounding interface, small, that can drive nicely my hd600. Only recording elektron octatrack at home. And doing quick mix fixes/preparing sessions before I go to the studio...
Sounds like motu will be good here.
Anyway I’ve ordered M4 and pre ordered the SSL (EU only getting it in 5 weeks), will try to compare then.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Yeah, I figured it’s just the SSL name that pulls you in. I’m not interested in the plugins, I do use pro tools but only need a good sounding interface, small, that can drive nicely my hd600. Only recording elektron octatrack at home. And doing quick mix fixes/preparing sessions before I go to the studio...
Sounds like motu will be good here.
Anyway I’ve ordered M4 and pre ordered the SSL (EU only getting it in 5 weeks), will try to compare then.
You will save me from a lot of trouble if you do compare them! But I guess if I do not order either of the two now, I might have to wait another 4-5 weeks in 5 weeks time. The M4 seems to be selling well. Let's hope they do not change things inside after the very first units came out.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir View Post
You will save me from a lot of trouble if you do compare them! But I guess if I do not order either of the two now, I might have to wait another 4-5 weeks in 5 weeks time. The M4 seems to be selling well. Let's hope they do not change things inside after the very first units came out.
Yeah, it was really hard finding the M4 or M2 to purchase. hopefully I will actually get it this week.. ordered from Thomann and they kept delaying so got annoyed and cancelled, found it on a random shop that say they have it in stock, and now says shipped... so fingers crossed.
It's annoying that you can get the SSL in the US but in EU only 5 weeks or more, especially when SSL are from the UK and not US...

Anyway will try to compare and decide which one to keep.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Hate to say it but I'm getting the missing audio with the M4 as well. Windows 7 x64. For instance, I just rendered a track in Cubase, and when it finished I suddenly can't hear any audio, nothing shows on any meters, mp3s won't play back and crash winamp, and cannot close the MOTU process (MOTUMSeries.exe), not even by trying to force close in task manager. That was all while just sitting here.

Then when I try to restart the computer, it freezes at the shutting down screen and I have to do a hard reset by holding down the power button.

This happened last night as well (never had it happen since I received the M4 a few weeks ago). I installed the newest driver last night, and now I'm wondering if I did that before or after the issue started. I think I'll try a driver rollback.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Still definitely keen on the M4. If it weren't for these reports of dropouts, I'd already have one.

I am a little perplexed by the surprise some members are experiencing regarding USB power management. Hasn't it always been a standard adjustment on an audio PC using USB devices?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hitchborn View Post
I am a little perplexed by the surprise some members are experiencing regarding USB power management. Hasn't it always been a standard adjustment on an audio PC using USB devices?
I've never had the issue in three years of an SPL Crimson and a year of a Focusrite Clarett.

Travis from MOTU support reached out to me after my post and suggested a factory reset, which I've performed. I also had not yet done the USB power settings as I had not had the issue after a few weeks with the M4. So I've done both those things and we'll see what happens.

It's a great little box, and I'm confident that the issue will get sorted out, if it's not already.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
I've never had the issue in three years of an SPL Crimson and a year of a Focusrite Clarett.

Travis from MOTU support reached out to me after my post and suggested a factory reset, which I've performed. I also had not yet done the USB power settings as I had not had the issue after a few weeks with the M4. So I've done both those things and we'll see what happens.

It's a great little box, and I'm confident that the issue will get sorted out, if it's not already.
How does the MOTU compare to the SPL? Preamps? DA? Headphone outs?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir View Post
How does the MOTU compare to the SPL? Preamps? DA? Headphone outs?
My Crimson fried itself a couple years ago, so I don't have it to do a side-by-side, but to my ears the MOTU is every bit as good in every way.

I got the MOTU and did a side-by-side with the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB and then I put the Clarett on ebay. I wouldn't say the MOTU is "better" in any way, but it seemed pretty darn equal to me, and I certainly did not hear a $400 difference.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if they plan on a new version of UltraLite soon? I'm really interested in that. Are the converters in the current one as good as these?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I feel like the converters are getting better in these new budget interfaces, but thats it. All the rest is getting cheaper...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search