The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Customised Mackie Control with DAW Sync and Full Plug-in Control
Old 3rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Ryan!

I guess my preferred controller is the one I own, which is the X-Touch, yes

It's also the one I would recommend because it has individual LCD displays for each channel, and the full button count that you get on the MCU and MCU Pro.

You are correct about switching to HUI on the X-Touch.

You will have to power down, then hold the first channel's select switch as you power up again.
You then use the encoder to select the startup mode.

I can pretty much guarantee that this will be necessary with the other units too, as you're switching modes and DAWs, and the devices will need to be re-initiated to read the new surface and script files.

The Qcon Pro X has good meters and a display 'bar' that you can tilt for the best viewing angle which is great, BUT.. it doesn't have individual displays, and I would choose the individual displays over the viewing angle as it's pretty easy to prop the X-Touch up.

My highest recommendation is to get an X-Touch and extender, and with the money you save not buying a Qcon or MCU Pro, buy one of these to make it all look sexy (no affiliation, they just look awesome - very well made and lovely wood):

mixingtable.com

I don't know about prices in your region, but in the UK and Europe a new X-Touch, X-Extender and one of those desk stands shown above to house both would come to just under £925 incl. shipping.
This means you could get the setup shown in that photo plus Qmap and its overlay for less than the price of a single MCU Pro main unit.
That's pretty damn good.
You could bring that down by £150 if you bought a 2nd hand X-Touch.

A Qcon Pro X plus XS extender will set you back £1,150 with no wood case (but they look decent on their own anyway).
Again though, these don't have individual displays so I would still recommend the X-Touch combo even if the price of the Qcon combo wasn't £225 higher.
Also, the Qcon Pro X has an enormous footprint compared to the X-Touch, even if the X-Touch was in a wood case, and this will be an important consideration for many I'm sure.

Hope that helps!
Old 3rd February 2020
Gear Addict

Do you have yours set up like that in the picture, or do you have the extender to the left?
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Mine hangs to the left

I tried both sides and preferred the extender on the left, I like having the main unit controls over on the right, closer to my right hand (but prefer to use my Console 1 with my left hand).

I've removed the end cheeks for now so they sit tight together but I'll be getting one of those MixingTable units - they're sweeet!

Removing the end cheeks is old hat but you can see the effect in the video below (I'm making these shorter, more evenly-paced vids now rather than one long one)

Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hi Ryan!

I guess my preferred controller is the one I own, which is the X-Touch, yes

It's also the one I would recommend because it has individual LCD displays for each channel, and the full button count that you get on the MCU and MCU Pro.

You are correct about switching to HUI on the X-Touch.

You will have to power down, then hold the first channel's select switch as you power up again.
You then use the encoder to select the startup mode.

I can pretty much guarantee that this will be necessary with the other units too, as you're switching modes and DAWs, and the devices will need to be re-initiated to read the new surface and script files.

The Qcon Pro X has good meters and a display 'bar' that you can tilt for the best viewing angle which is great, BUT.. it doesn't have individual displays, and I would choose the individual displays over the viewing angle as it's pretty easy to prop the X-Touch up.

My highest recommendation is to get an X-Touch and extender, and with the money you save not buying a Qcon or MCU Pro, buy one of these to make it all look sexy (no affiliation, they just look awesome - very well made and lovely wood):

mixingtable.com

I don't know about prices in your region, but in the UK and Europe a new X-Touch, X-Extender and one of those desk stands shown above to house both would come to just under £925 incl. shipping.
This means you could get the setup shown in that photo plus Qmap and its overlay for less than the price of a single MCU Pro main unit.
That's pretty damn good.
You could bring that down by £150 if you bought a 2nd hand X-Touch.

A Qcon Pro X plus XS extender will set you back £1,150 with no wood case (but they look decent on their own anyway).
Again though, these don't have individual displays so I would still recommend the X-Touch combo even if the price of the Qcon combo wasn't £225 higher.
Also, the Qcon Pro X has an enormous footprint compared to the X-Touch, even if the X-Touch was in a wood case, and this will be an important consideration for many I'm sure.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Quetz-

Yeah the Pro X is a no go for me, because the vertical back part is where I plan to have my Console 1, maybe a streamdeck XL and a large readout SPL meter...

Looks the they behringer is the way to go. Unfortunately it sounds like the HUI mode never got fully implemented. I'm thinking I can have a Command|8 around for PT users...
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear
Order number 00001 placed!

Excited to check this out.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks Ryan

Yours was the first early bird/adopter order for the X-Touch, there have been more pre-orders for the original MCU than any other device which surprised me to be honest, but there must be a lot of them out there!

I'm about to write an update to the early-adopters but seeing as I'm here I'll add it here too:
The printer is sending me the final overlay proofs for the different devices this week, then once I approve them (which will be the same day I receive them as there were only some labeling/layout changes) then the turnaround time for the production versions will be about 5 days.

They'll be shipped as soon as I receive them so not long left to wait
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Nut

So are all these extra functions the QMap provide only for Studio One?
Does it do anything different for a Logic Pro X user?
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Hiya, Qmap is Studio One only for the time being, sorry if that wasn't made clear..

If you want to send me over the default LPX Mackie Control files then I'd be happy to look at what the porting possibilities might be!

It shouldn't be a nightmare because of the close alignment of their evolution, but in terms of getting at the files you know what Apple are like, they don't seem to trust the intelligence of their users and like to hide everything away from them..
Although Logic is mac only and I don't have a test machine, I'd look at borrowing one if the files were available to modify.
Old 5th February 2020
fuz
Here for the gear

Hi, I fear that in Logic all control surfaces mapping info (including the very intricate but flexible -IMHO- zones and modes mechanism) are saved/"serialized" in a single file (com.apple.logic.pro.cs), which is a binary ... saved every time you quit Logic :-(
So even creating tailor made zones, modes and mappings (manually, from the "Controller Assignment" window) will not be that easy to "distribute" them (even per parameter MIDI input/output port is saved there).

BTW, can't wait to revamp the S1<->Mackie(s) pair!
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

It doesn't surprise me to be honest, but it's a shame, however yes, Studio One with Qmap will be (imo!) a very welcome breath of fresh air to anyone with a supported MC device
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Ps
I'm really looking forward to having it in the hands of other users so I can start getting meaningful feedback from people putting it to work in their environments!

It's strange in a way to have something in front of you that you've become so familiar with and have such faith in that nobody has seen 'in the wild'!
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quick update on overlay production!

The final proofs are arriving tomorrow, yay!

I'm hoping to sign off on them immediately, which means the first production run will be ready in about one week's time.

It may seem that I'm being incredibly slow with adding videos and content but truth be told, doing the videos with an outdated overlay sample is just annoying, and involves too many compromises and disclaimers, so I did make some, then canned them.
I'd much rather do one set of videos and not feel like I need to update them almost immediately when the new overlays arrive.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Ahoy!

Sooo, the overlays didn't arrive Friday, which is very frustrating, but the place where the print shop is was hammered with the storms and suffered serious flooding, which is unfortunate, and disappointing, but unavoidable, unfortunately.

So apologies for the delays but we will get there in the end!

Will keep you updated of course.

Thanks for your patience!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Some heroic postal action from a very flooded area got the overlays to me today, nice!

I want to try and get the colours to pop a bit more for the proper run, I was even thinking about trashing the black background completely and going with white, but thought that might freak people out..
Anyone think same colour scheme but with white blackground and black text for the white would be popular?
Might do a few anyway.

L --> R:
The four different device versions, X-Touch overlay closer up, X-Touch windowed display aperture.

You can either sit the overlays on the device or peel off the back and stick them on.

Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

I prefer the black background
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Looking good, I like the black BG, I think white might be an option if it’s not too bright. But then again white may start to look funky after numerous finger touches.
The videos look great....
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

White could get messy, I eat at my computer
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

I've culled the individual video posts and the screenshot explanations that existed before them to condense the thread info.

The Modes, Plugin & Channel Switch vids are all together on page 3 now.

I'm going to add the updated overlay files here - they've been updated earlier in the thread too.

Everyone that has pre-ordered has been updated, but for everyone else, there was a last minute tweak to the controls in order to make the controller scene-sync latch independent.
This was based on some test user feedback and I think it's a better solution now.
The 'Latch Mixer' button on the Mackie devices is now located where the scrub button used to be.
On the X-Touch overlay, gaining the extra control needed was done by combining the Save and Undo buttons on to one button (using shift).
This involved a quick re-arrange of the graphic overlay too, but those tweaked files are with the printer now and the proofs of these last changes are those you can see in the images below.
(The white X-Touch design will not be for sale but I may get some done up if people start asking for them, jury is still out on whether there'll be any takers for those haha!)

Those proofs should get back to me this week, which means shipping will start next week rather than this week.

That should be the last delay!
The design has been constantly refined and is in good shape now I think.

Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

It wasn't the last delay, hooray!!

The print guy was off work so I didn't get those proofs Friday.
It's extremely frustrating even though it's a minor delay, and I apologise that it's been put back.
The annoying thing is that the map itself is ready to go, although because of the delays with proofs over the last couple of weeks, the map kept getting refined (and thanks to Fulvio in Italy who's been using it and giving me feedback as a Mackie Control (original) user).

Good news number 1 is that they think they can get the colours richer than I've seen so far, which is great.
The guy that is overseeing the print work is a musician himself and has gone extremely far out of his way to make sure that the overlay will be as good as possible, he's been amazing, and not long to wait now.

I wanted to start shipping these out this week coming, but it will be the next week probably now, so again I'm sorry about the wait but I think we would all rather wait just a little longer and get it done right.

Other good news is that there will be a MAC installer on release, so no manual install/file copying needed for mac users.

I also wanted to address the elephant in the room (for me anyway), which is that a while ago I said that I would cap the price at £39.99 incl the overlay.

To be honest, I hadn't factored in the card and transaction charges which took an unhealthy chunk out of an already slim margin (and that's before I even deduct the cost of the overlay!), which is why now the price at checkout is £44.99.

It will not go higher though, I can promise you that much

To be honest, if I had known how much functionality I would be able to pack in, I would have priced it closer to 100 in the first place, but hey, we live and learn

I will keep this updated as soon as I get those proofs back next week.

Thanks for your patience
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear

I've been keeping everyone that pre-ordered up to date but haven't done so well in this thread

There have been some proper developments with the overlays, and not just that they will be shipping early next week

I was never really entirely satisfied with the vibrancy and brightness of the text, and the jump to screen printing was out of my budget range, so the printshop came up with an amazing solution which was to add a silver substrate under the ink layer.
The effect is pretty amazing, it's SO much brighter in flat light, and in low ambient light when it has some screen or lamplight reflecting off it, it almost glows, it's a significant upgrade in legibility, not to mention that it looks way cooler because the colours are much richer when the light is on it.
Very, very happy with these now

The first two images were taken in the same light conditions - it's not an exact match light-wise as the angles aren't exactly the same but the difference really is dramatic. The one furthest left is from the same print run, just without the silver layer, which you can see on the backing in the third picture.

I've also finished putting together the User Guide, which I'll link to below, and you can see another example of the overlay text on the image of the cover.

Now the User Guide is done, people that ordered and want their installer now while they wait for the overlays to arrive will get sent them today, along with a reference image of the overlay for their device.

Link to the User Guide (for X-Touch and Mackie Devices):

Qmap User Guide

Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear
Reference guide looks great-

My only request is that it would be useful to have it in text format so it's searchable. Everything looks pretty intuitive though so this may not really be needed.
Old 22nd March 2020
Lives for gear
I got some x-touch units here...and I saw the PC version in dropbox.

Not bad overall for the behringer hardware, my biggest complaint would be the height. WTH behringer? I opened it up and there is more than an inch of empty space on the front bottom.

If I get up and running and am going to commit to this, I think I'm going to grab some electric sheet metal shears and see if I can cut them down on the front at least. Mine are going to be on some drawer slides placed horizontally, and I'll use a piece of aluminum angle to support across the front. I don't mind keeping the back height more or less where it is so they angle forward...
Old 23rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Ryan!

Yeah, would be nice if they weren't as deep too.
They do need propping up for a readable angle which means if you're trying to keep things slimline I can see why you'd want to lose the bottom.

Another tip - remove all the plastic end cheeks. Unnecessary.
When you push the main and extender units together, they won't sit flush because each unit has 2 screws in the side in the same position.
Take the opposite screws out of each unit so you get a flush fit when you push them together.
I was looking at doing a mod to flip the lcds up by 45 or even 90 degrees.
Can be done.

Oh man, I didn't update this thread for ages..

Yeah, so to those that didn't pre-order/haven't been getting regular updates by email, overlays are now shipping
Let's hope all the first orders get there before they shut the mail down

I'm already working on creating a way of having S1 see all strips (main unit and extenders) as one big controller for plugins. This will require Midi-Ox and a virtual midi cable (probably).
It's quite complicated, so I don't want to make promises, but that's the current goal.
Old 23rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Just a cross post from another user here...

MCU (Mackie Control Universal) Documentation/Reverse Engineering
Old 27th March 2020
Lives for gear
Up and running here.

Very cool. Going to read the rest of the manual to get fully up to speed, and overall, I'm relatively new to studio one, but this is all pretty impressive.
Old 27th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hi Ryan!

Yeah, would be nice if they weren't as deep too.
They do need propping up for a readable angle which means if you're trying to keep things slimline I can see why you'd want to lose the bottom.
Yeah I think I've devised a plan. I'm going to cut right across the round part of the front with a nibbler, and then cut the bottom off around to the sides from the power supply board on forward. Should take about 1.5 inches off the front. And then attach that to some aluminum angle.

Then screw the two units together and put them with the angle on some heavy duty drawer slides placed horizontally. Then mount or build stands for a Console One and a large readout SPL meter behind.

It looks like this will leave just enough clearance to pull the control surfaces over a mac keyboard and trackpad, and will tilt the controllers about the right amount.
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear
Hey @ Quetz

Diving in here, Anyway to map and control VSTi's?
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Ryan!

You'll get a quicker reply emailing me direct but I'll try and check in here more often

VSTis are mapped/controlled exactly the same as any other plugin.

But the S1 thing about needing the relevant GUI open before the control link kicks in still applies, so you'll need the GUI of the instrument in question open before you can start mapping it in plugin mode (see screenshot).

There is not a dedicated button for toggling instrument GUIs open and closed like there is for the plugin racks, but that's where the user macros can come in.
You have to be in plugin mode to control the VSTs, so you could set the first Plugin button macro slot to open and close the instrument GUIs - that way whenever you hold the plugin mode button, clicking on the first encoder will toggle the GUI.

I'll also add it as an 'Alt + GUI button' layer in an update.

There will be an update coming very soon for those that are open to installing midi ox but I'll put it in a regular update as well.

Using midi ox allows you to have a 'Shift/Alt/Group/Marker +' layer on all extender buttons (including encoder buttons) as well as those on the main unit, meaning that instead of having the 'Keypad' feature condensed onto just the main unit, those recall functions (and plugin insert triggers using shift/alt/plugin) will be spread out across units, giving you a much larger button count for accessing more of them.
In other words, with one extender, you could have 16 plugin triggers on shift instead of 8, then another 16 on Alt etc.
This also doubles the number of recalls you can have for markers, scenes, triples it with two extenders etc.

This also applies to the user macro slots accessed using the Balance/Track and 'Focus xx' buttons.

I'm going to add the jogwheel as an extra control for assigning in plugin mode as well I think, and I'm also experimenting with getting the send pan and levels to sync with the channel positions.

I didn't do this with the original release because I didn't want people to have to install 3rd party programs in order to get full functionality, but for those that want to, the update will simply expand on what's there.

VSTi Screenshot:
(as with insert and send fx, pressing Flip will show you what's assigned to the faders, pressing Display Mode shows you what's on the switches, and with neither of those pressed, the encoder assignments are shown. Encoder button assignments are shown on the OSD).

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Hello All!

Just a quick note on developments - isolation has proved productive..

A patch has been sent to all users that adds the following to the base map:

The master fader and the jogwheel are now available as extra independent plugin controls, so when in plugin mode you now have 9 faders, 9 rotaries and 16 buttons for plug assignments.

Nudge forward and back is now available using Alt + Chan L/R, plus set loop start and end are available using Alt + Bank L/R.

There is a much bigger update for those users with an extender which is being tested now and nearly ready to release.
This update expands the whole system.

Ever since starting this project people have been asking to be able to use their extender encoders as part of the basic plugin control set.
This has been hampered by the fact that S1 only allows you to allocate one device at a time to plugin control, but the paradigm of main unit + extenders means of course that you have more than one device.

I've been attacking this problem for quite a while, and have finally found a solution.
This bigger update and all the features it adds requires internal midi re-routing and virtual ports, so to take advantage of it you will need to install loopmidi (to add virtual ports) and midi-ox, which handles the actual data re-mapping/midi translations and port routing.

All these translations and routings will be supplied pre-defined so you just have to create the virtual ports named as directed, and then import the midi-ox preset you're given. It's set and forget so doing that once (takes like 30 seconds) means you don't have to configure anything again.
Midi-ox will remember all the routings and midi translations after you close it, ready for next time you fire it up.

That's for PC.

For MAC you will need to use MidiPipe instead of midi-ox for translating and routing , and for the virtual ports I believe you can do that 'in-house' via IAC or Jack, I'm waiting on some feedback from mac users to get that accomplished as easily (if not more easily) than on PC.
If you're already using something like Crossover you can use midi-ox and loopmidi of course.

So, what does this get you?

For a start, it doubles up the number of plugin insert triggers and marker/scene etc recall functions available.
So whereas before you had 8 plugin triggers on the encoder buttons when holding shift, you now have 16, same for plugin triggers on Alt and the Plugin Mode button, and same for the user macro slots when holding the Balance and Track buttons, Focus Arrnge/Editor/Mixer buttons etc.

The jogwheel functionality has been expanded, so as well as its usual function (and being available for plugin assignment), you can now adjust clip gain with it when holding shift, and cycle through tools with it when holding Alt.

Finally, when holding loop, a flick of the jogwheel left now sets loop start, and a flick right sets loop end.

You can now multi-select using shift no matter whether the currently selected track/channel is on the main unit or an extender.
Initiating multi-select on any unit using the channel switch over the currently selected channel remains in place though.

Another added feature is that now you can bank in sets of 16 when the S1 console is latched to the controller.
Unlatched you can still bank in 8 (because sometimes that's what you want!)

Ok, and so on to the extended plugin control.
There are two caveats to this:
Firstly the extender LCDs don't show control values when in plugin mode, but I've re-designed and re-skinned the OSD so that all the info you need is there.
This is not to be confused with physical controls updating - faders on the extender snap to position in plugin mode as they should (if mapped), and revert to normal in other modes.

Secondly (for now) you will need to remove the extender temporarily from external devices to enter a plug mapping session (but only when you want the full range of controls, mapping for just the main unit can be done as normal).

So although it's not truly on the fly, it's just a matter of 3 clicks.
You don't have to power down the unit or restart S1 or anything like that, just open external devices, remove the extender, do all your mappings, then re-add the extender and you're good to go, all from within the same Song/Session.
Mappings will be saved for all instances of that plugin across every session as per normal.

In my experience you don't map a plugin, then continue in a session and map another plugin once you use it etc.
You map a load of plugins at once so that you don't have to worry about it ever again, and so this procedure fits in with that approach nicely.

However, it would be nice of course not to have to do that, and I'm working on it!
Sometimes S1 recognises the proxy controls without having to remove the device, sometimes it doesn't.
Still trying to work out what the factor is that makes this switch, so for now, best to assume you will need to remove the device temporarily to map.

What this means in real terms is that for each plugin, you now have 16 encoders, 16 encoder buttons, the wheel, 16 channel faders, the 9th fader and 8 channel switches for plug control.
(Those 8 switches are on the main unit, ran out of midi notes to include the extender ones!)

Another addition is that you now have Shift + Encoder functions across all strips for modes other than plugin mode, so in Send mode for example where the encoders control send pan, you can now hold shift and the encoders will switch to individual channel pan while shift is held.
Same for Track mode and Cue mode.

I think that's about it

I'll add some screenshots of the re-skinned OSDs in a bit, am still tweaking them for aesthetics - all the functionality works fine.
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

Ok, still needs some tidying up and the colours are up for debate but this is basically how it looks/works:

How it looks in any mode other than Plugin Mode (Balance Mode shown):

When holding shift to show the extra trigger slots (same applies when holding any button that brings up user slots):

And how it changes/looks when in Plugin Mode (encoders shown by default):

When in Plugin Mode and Flipped, which brings the fader assignments and values up:

Params assigned to the encoder buttons are always shown (in green), but you can press Display Mode to bring both params and values up on the OSD (also shown on the main unit LCDs).

The images show how it looks for an extender on the left - everything will be reversed for an extender on the right, obvs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search