Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   HoRNet Plugins introduces VU Meter MK4 digital VU Meter with automatic gain (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1284721-hornet-plugins-introduces-vu-meter-mk4-digital-vu-meter-automatic-gain.html)

Henrik Hjortnaes 8th November 2019 08:49 PM

I would pay good money for a mixing prep tool that would:
  • analyze and gain stage every single audio file (track) in a folder to -18 dBFS (or user adjustable)
  • detect stereo files in that folder that are in fact mono, and split them and remove redundant files
It shouldn't even be a plug-in. It should be a utility run from the OS.

Arionas 8th November 2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311606)
I would pay good money for a mixing prep tool that would:
  • analyze and gain stage every single audio file (track) in a folder to -18 dBFS (or user adjustable)
  • detect stereo files in that folder that are in fact mono, and split them and remove redundant files
It shouldn't even be a plug-in. It should be a utility run from the OS.

I would pay good money for these options as well!

ionian 8th November 2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311606)
I would pay good money for a mixing prep tool that would:
  • analyze and gain stage every single audio file (track) in a folder to -18 dBFS (or user adjustable)
  • detect stereo files in that folder that are in fact mono, and split them and remove redundant files
It shouldn't even be a plug-in. It should be a utility run from the OS.

As for the second half, I know there's a program out there that already does it called "Stereo Monoizer". That might help you currently.

https://www.soundizers.com/

Henrik Hjortnaes 8th November 2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionian (Post 14311667)
As for the second half, I know there's a program out there that already does it called "Stereo Monoizer". That might help you currently.

Thanks man. I forgot about that one and thought it was Mac OS only (I'm on Windows).

ionian 8th November 2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311682)
Thanks man. I forgot about that one and thought it was Mac OS only (I'm on Windows).

I hear you. I'm on Windows here as well and it works fine but there is something strangely apple looking about both the software and their website so I don't blame you for thinking it was mac only!

doom64 8th November 2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311488)
Fair enough, thanks. I thought there was more convenience hidden somewhere in the plug-in (offline analyzing, lookahead). Playing all the way through a song is the kicker for me. I can usually gainstage my sessions quicker by just manually adjusting clip gain on each track by eye, watching the Pro Tools meter. Oh, and I can't copy the plug-in from a stereo track to a mono track in Pro Tools, which adds to the hassle.

In a +20 track session that has tracks that are all over the place it is worth every penny.

kc23 9th November 2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311488)
Fair enough, thanks. I thought there was more convenience hidden somewhere in the plug-in (offline analyzing, lookahead). Playing all the way through a song is the kicker for me. I can usually gainstage my sessions quicker by just manually adjusting clip gain on each track by eye, watching the Pro Tools meter. Oh, and I can't copy the plug-in from a stereo track to a mono track in Pro Tools, which adds to the hassle.

Of course, if it doesn´t fit your workflow then its ok.

My mix prep involves AA and N4 preamps, console emulation, tape emulation, sometimes guitar and keybs sound design, etc. so after being done fidling with all these, just put on an instance of vumk3 (now mk4) and do a final listen while getting tracks gainstaged. Then do a general freeze, save as next iteration, copy tracks and delete frozen ones, and voila, a new file with all sounds worked and gainstaged. And ready to go out to hardware if need be too.

Also, I use it like I mention on this post: Nebula must have

Also, bear in mind you can complement it with functionality from your daw: In ptools (I think) you can disable rows of plugins across all your tracks, so that would save some steps in what I described in that post above. Also, you may be able to set a default setting for your plugins, so you could select all mono tracks, instantiate the plugin in all at once, do that again for stereo tracks, press "auto" button in one of them and then play... go get a cup of coffee and upon getting back do a save as next iteration and commit all tracks... and done! hehe

Anyway, just giving you a couple of ideas about how it can be used. Hope it helps.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311577)
It's doing LUFS, not dB as far as I can tell.

Ooops, didn´t remember that! Maybe still helpful if going with around -23? Hornet has another plugin just like VUMeter but in lufs...


Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14311795)
In a +20 track session that has tracks that are all over the place it is worth every penny.

Indeed!!

Gee 9th November 2019 01:18 PM

I use it on my main busses to keep things in check(got them grouped) and I usually have it in the first insert of vocals (which I do a pass if auto on it) most vocals I receive are usually pretty wild gain wise so this helps getting it in the pocket a bit.

Plus it looks good!

omkar 9th November 2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee (Post 14312772)
I use it on my main busses to keep things in check(got them grouped) and I usually have it in the first insert of vocals (which I do a pass if auto on it) most vocals I receive are usually pretty wild gain wise so this helps getting it in the pocket a bit.

Plus it looks good!

Oh man, stupido mio,
now I have the answer for the Mantis comp on master bus. kfhkh

HoRNet 11th November 2019 12:49 PM

I was thinking about a normalizing utility that can work on a bunch of tracks offline, probably a normalizer V2 though as VU Meter has always been a "meter with auto gain" :) but I haven't thought about a function that made tracks mono if the content on the right and left channel were the same.

That's a nice idea.

Saverio

miditus 14th November 2019 06:17 AM

Hi Saverio,

Maybe you can add a MeterBridge option in the Display pull down menu? This way we can view it as MeterBridge. This could save some time toggling the display menu. It would be great. Just a suggestion though. :-)

doom64 14th November 2019 08:32 AM

For those worried about VU Meter's gain quality not being as good as other gain plugins...worry no longer:




Plus, an official overview video:


HoRNet 14th November 2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14321638)
For those worried about VU Meter's gain quality not being as good as other gain plugins...worry no longer:




Plus, an official overview video:


Thank you for the test, actually bitshifting if done with integers is less precise than a MUL done on two doubles.

This all boils down to how the CPU treats those values, if you use SSE math or integer you are working with 64bit registers (plenty of data for audio applications, 64bit are equal to 385dB of headroom) but if you use double precision floats (like I do in every plugin) the compiler uses the FPU giving you 80bit of resolution for mul and div operations (in exchange of a slower execution time).

Saverio

doom64 15th November 2019 03:03 AM

@ HoRNet
I had saved VU Meter MK4 in a REAPER template (64-bit VST3). The audio is now panned more on one side with the update. Was that something that changed during the bug fix?

HoRNet 15th November 2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14323561)
@ HoRNet
I had saved VU Meter MK4 in a REAPER template (64-bit VST3). The audio is now panned more on one side with the update. Was that something that changed during the bug fix?

Absolutely not, the only difference is that now VST3 sees correctly two audio channels instead of just one.

Does this happens in a new session too? My tests with Reaper did not show any of this issues.

Saverio

doom64 16th November 2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoRNet (Post 14324398)
Absolutely not, the only difference is that now VST3 sees correctly two audio channels instead of just one.

Does this happens in a new session too? My tests with Reaper did not show any of this issues.

Saverio

In new sessions VST3 works fine. I'll just change my template, not a big problem! To clarify, I had saved the previous template with version 1.0 . Then I updated the plugin to the new version and that's where I ran into panning issues. But, once I added a new instance of the VU Meter it was OK.

HoRNet 18th November 2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14326008)
In new sessions VST3 works fine. I'll just change my template, not a big problem! To clarify, I had saved the previous template with version 1.0 . Then I updated the plugin to the new version and that's where I ran into panning issues. But, once I added a new instance of the VU Meter it was OK.

Oh that's weird probably something saved with the template conflicted with the new two channel configuration, but honestly it should not have happened...

Saverio

doom64 11th December 2019 07:46 AM

Version 4.1.1 released! Changes:

Fixed crash in Cubase on macOS and GarageBand when closing plugin window
Improved color scheme of VU meter bar
Fixed issue with draggable controls setting to lowest value on first click
Added plugin window size saving with project
Added reset of controls to default value using alt+click
Fixed issue with plugin names not being removed from display dropdown when they are removed from session

todez 28th December 2019 02:22 PM

Limiter?
 
Does MK4 basically work like a limiter? Does it affect the dynamics of the recorded track?

Macaroni 28th December 2019 10:03 PM

It's not a limiter. It's just a gain plugin. Once the gain adjustment is set, you just leave it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todez (Post 14409984)
Does MK4 basically work like a limiter? Does it affect the dynamics of the recorded track?