The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal
Old 23rd October 2019
News Desk Editor

Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal-unnamed-7-.jpg

Strymon pushes pedal design to wrap world-class amps driving perfectly-matched speaker cabinets in great-sounding rooms

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA, USA: powerful processing effects developer Strymon is proud to announce availability of Iridium — pushing pedal design to wrap world-class amps driving perfectly-matched speaker cabinets in great-sounding rooms by providing easy access to three iconic amplifiers with loadable impulse response speaker cabinets that compliment the tonality of the amp and lush room ambience aimed at pedalboard-based performance directly into a recording interface or PA (public address) system — as of October 23…

Nothing quite compares to the true nature of a guitar and its playing like a world-class tube amp driving a perfectly-matched speaker cabinet in a great-sounding room. With Strymon’s timely addition of Iridium to its ever-expanding line of pedals pushing the limits of what is possible with music gear using exceptionally great components and ridiculously powerful processors to make gear that sounds better than anything, now there is a pedal that truly delivers that sound and feel, with simple controls for effortlessly dialling in the perfect amp tone when going direct. Discover inspiring tube amp responsiveness, unprecedented impulse response speaker cabinet realism, and controllable natural-sounding room ambience — as implied by the amp & ir cab wording subtly splashed across its foot-friendly top panel.

Behind the scenes, Strymon’s Matrix ModelingTM process captures all the subtleties and unique tonal qualities of each amplifier — from the unique composition of each tone stack to component values, bias levels, corner frequencies, and tube stage gain, all of which affect the way a note or chord reacts and evolves over time. Taking three iconic tube amps with distinct characters, the powerful processing effects developer has mathematically modeled every aspect of their circuitry with absolute precision to deliver the response, feel, and inspiring experience of playing through the original amps at their best. But taking that process a step further, each AMP — round, chime, and punch — has been hot-rodded to provide an extended range of tonal options above and beyond what was available from the original designs.

Digging deeper, those tube amps everyone has always craved after are available in Iridium. First up, by being based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb® — one of the most recorded amps in history for good reason, round is clean, bright, and mid-scooped, with plenty of headroom. At higher DRIVE settings it delivers an overdriven sound unique to its architecture. As such, Strymon chose the Deluxe’s Normal channel for its round tone that plays well with pedals. Put it this way: while preserving access to all the tones originally available with this channel, Strymon’s model provides something extra — namely, a MIDDLE (midrange) control. Positioned at noon, it delivers the original fixed-resistor value and standard tonal characteristics of the Deluxe; turn it down for a more scooped sound, or turn it up for tweed-era tones.

The chime AMP is based on the Brilliant channel of a Vox® AC30TB, the amp that defined the guitar sound of the British Invasion. Strymon’s model of the AC30TB Brilliant channel — Top Boost — is jangly, bright, and chime-y, providing air for subtle passages with a light touch, and bite when digging in is needed. This time, the MIDDLE knob acts as a tone cut control, providing high-end rolloff just before the power tubes, as per the original AC30TB design. In addition to the full available gain of the original amp, Strymon saw fit to add a frequency-shaped front end boost towards the top end of the DRIVE knob’s range of travel to tighten the low end while driving the amp further into saturation.

Last, but by no means least, the powerful punch AMP is based on a Marshall® Plexi (Super Lead model number 1959). This is meatier, with higher gain than the other two amps, and has a powerful midrange response. It also features a buttery, smooth overdrive. At higher DRIVE settings it will deliver all the high gain distortion and growl that this amp is known for — and then some! Setting the DRIVE control at around 2 o’clock results in the maximum gain the original Plexi design allowed. But beyond that, Strymon’s model has some additional gain on tap, allowing access to custom hot-rodded Plexi high gain tones.

True to the tone stacks of the classic amps that Strymon meticulously modeled, Iridium’s tone controls have the same interdependences as those found in the original circuit designs. Indeed, Iridium provides amp EQ that is a joy to use, yielding a wide variety of great tones in any which way its users choose to go with it. It is, quite simply, a snap to dial in a direct tone that will truly inspire and sound great, whether monitoring through in-ears, floor wedges, reference monitors, or studio headphones.

Iridium’s speaker cabinets offer a level of realism and responsiveness unprecedented in outboard effects. Iridium delivers full-stereo 24-bit/96kHz resolution for the entire 500 milliseconds of its speaker cabinet impulse responses. IRs of this resolution have hitherto only been available for use within studio recording software. So Iridium’s breakthrough technology means that users can access the very best impulse responses available, bringing maximum realism to their pedalboard.

Preloaded with a carefully curated collection of premium cabinet impulse responses — namely, Deluxe Reverb® 1x12” by OwnHammer (impulse of a vintage Fender® Deluxe Reverb open back 1x12” combo with a 1978 Fender CTS ceramic 12” speaker); Blues Junior® 1x12” by cabIR (impulse of a 1x12” Blues Junior cabinet with a Jensen® C12N speaker); Vibrolux® 2x10” by cabIR (impulse of a 1965 Fender Vibrolux with Jensen C10NS speakers; AC30 2x12” AlNiCo by OwnHammer (impulse of a Vox® AC30/6 open back 2x12” combo with 2001 Celestion® T0530 Blue AlNiCo speakers); 1x12” AlNiCo by Celestion (impulse of a Celestion Blue AlNiCo speaker in a closed back 1x12” cab); Mesa® 4x12” by Valhallir (impulse of a 4x12” Mesa Boogie halfback with two Celestion Black Shadow® MC-90 and two ElectroVoice® Black Shadow EVM12-L speakers); GNR 4x12” by OwnHammer (impulse of a 1971 Marshall® 1960B ‘basketweave’ 4x12” cabinet with 1971 Celestion T1221 G12M-25 speakers); 2x12” Vintage 30 by Celestion (impulse of a Celestion Vintage 30 in an open back 2x12” cab); and Marshall 8x12” AlNiCo by cabIR (impulse of a 1965 Marshall 8x12” reissue full stack cabinet with Celestion T652 AlNiCo speakers) — it is, nevertheless, easy to replace Iridium’s IRs with custom IRs from the user’s own collection by using Strymon Impulse Manager software.

Speaking of IRs, Iridium’s hybrid ROOM reverb combines a 256 millisecond stereo impulse response with Strymon’s reverb tank algorithm for extended decay. This beautiful combination places the AMP and CAB chosen in a natural-sounding room — small, medium, or large — to create a space for the AMP to open up and breathe.

Strymon strived to push pedal design to wrap world-class amps driving perfectly-matched speaker cabinets in great-sounding rooms; introducing Iridium, it has certainly succeeded, and — in doing so — added another inspirational tool to its ever-expanding line of pedals pushing the limits of what is possible with music gear using exceptionally great components and ridiculously powerful processors to make gear that sounds better than anything. Better still, skip the hassle of lugging around or mic’ing amps in favour of placing Iridium on a pedalboard and sending gorgeous amplifier tones, stunningly realistic cabs, and lush room ambience to a recording interface or PA system.

Strymon is accepting orders for Iridium via the Strymon Store (https://store.strymon.net/iridium/) to North America for $399.00 USD (plus tax and shipping) or through its growing global network of authorized dealers (https://www.strymon.net/dealers/).

For more in-depth information, please visit the dedicated Iridium webpage here: https://www.strymon.net/products/iridium/

Watch Strymon’s informative introductory video here: https://youtu.be/sNZdRAd0K4g

Attached Thumbnails
Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal-unnamed-7-.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Absolutely amazing product!!!! I have been waiting for this forever - and the fact that it's from Strymon is amazing.

Should this be the last pedal in the chain?
Old 23rd October 2019
Just go ahead, Strymon! My Visa number is 4321-5678-9876-3456.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Absolutely amazing product!!!! I have been waiting for this forever - and the fact that it's from Strymon is amazing.

Urm, https://www.two-notes.com/cabm
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
That doesn't have an amp sim built in and it's not a load box - it's confusing product that has way too many limitations. Not sure who that product is for, but I think this is much more useful and portable- saves you from needing an amp.
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post

I would think you woùld place delays and reverbs after the pedal.
Old 24th October 2019
Love the simplicity and focus of this.
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
That doesn't have an amp sim built in and it's not a load box - it's confusing product that has way too many limitations. Not sure who that product is for, but I think this is much more useful and portable- saves you from needing an amp.
True, the Two Notes thing is a different animal. But the Strymon doesn't have a load either, it's entirely independent. Both are intended to stand alone from tube amps, generating all the tones/sounds themselves.

My takeaway is that the Two Notes box is good for tweakers who like a hundred options, but the Strymon doesn't need any help from outside software and its chosen built-in options are VERY well done and quite versatile.

Also, someone FINALLY went after the AC-30! I don't know what it is but that rarely makes its way into emulation products. And from the clips I've heard they've done a great job with it.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I would think you woùld place delays and reverbs after the pedal.
Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure it would sound cool. But this is intended to replace an amp, so the "intended" placement of the Iridium would be at the very end of your pedal board before you send the signal to FOH or your recorder.
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure it would sound cool. But this is intended to replace an amp, so the "intended" placement of the Iridium would be at the very end of your pedal board before you send the signal to FOH or your recorder.
Part of what's cool about this is that it breaks the constraints of the traditional signal chain, so if someone finds a great sound by placing this elsewhere in the path, that's a bonus. Just thinking about amp sims in plugin form, they're rarely the last thing in my channel. A delay, or chorus, or compressor is very often after it. And with the Iridium, you can mimic that in hardware form on the pedalboard.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Part of what's cool about this is that it breaks the constraints of the traditional signal chain, so if someone finds a great sound by placing this elsewhere in the path, that's a bonus. Just thinking about amp sims in plugin form, they're rarely the last thing in my channel. A delay, or chorus, or compressor is very often after it. And with the Iridium, you can mimic that in hardware form on the pedalboard.
Ya, could be cool. I throw delays and reverbs on guitar tracks when I’m mixing, it’s not like it would be any different than putting it after an amp/cab sim on your pedalboard.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Maniac

This caught my attention (super c0o!):

Nine Stereo IR Cabinets
Iridium’s speaker cabinets offer a level of realism and responsiveness unprecedented in outboard effects. Iridium delivers full stereo 24bit 96kHz resolution for the entire 500 milliseconds of its speaker cabinet impulse responses

...and...

Adjustable Room Ambience
Iridium’s hybrid room reverb combines a 256 millisecond stereo impulse response with Strymon’s reverb tank algorithm for extended decay. This combination places your amp and cab in a natural sounding room (small, medium, or large), creating a space for your amp to open up and breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v(=)1s...&index=29&t=0s

Last edited by Earthling; 31st October 2019 at 02:18 PM..
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

so maybe i'm dumb but those cab impulses, they include the mic and position, right? any info.. ???
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
I always thought the CAB M seemed like a nice product, but never felt I could pull the trigger because I knew I'd have to also invest in the "right" preamp for the most situations. (Studio with clients/Live for my gigs) That's a big investment.

But this form factor is way cooler to me. Nice knob layout for all the amps. No software screens unless you want to load your own IRs. Easy options for volume pedal or midi. That's just awesome! It's got stereo options. Line level options. There might be less here in some regards, but I'd easily forget about the CAB M with this thing.

I mainly want to learn more about how I'd get stereo sound on stage since most club PA systems don't run stereo.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
so maybe i'm dumb but those cab impulses, they include the mic and position, right? any info.. ???
There is a wealth of information on their website. Really worth exploring.

If you know the details on any IR that pleases you, you can load it in there. I guess you'd just have to hear the default ones to see if you like them, but they are all from reputable third party creators, so it should be easy enough to research.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
There is a wealth of information on their website. Really worth exploring.
yes, i just find it odd there's no mention of the mics/positions they used... did i miss it? is that normal in cab IR world?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
yes, i just find it odd there's no mention of the mics/positions they used... did i miss it? is that normal in cab IR world?
Can't say I research IRs to that level of depth often, so dunno. I know if you go onto the Celestron site they say they use three mics and multiple positions.

I'm wondering if you use this pedals Room knob, perhaps you are changing the mic position to get that room reverb.

So many IRs on the internet, free and premium. It's going to be easy to find something you dig.
Old 24th October 2019
My guess is that Strymon went with close mics since you have the ability to add the perception of distance (with the Room IRs) but not the ability to remove the sound of a room if it's recorded far away.
Old 24th October 2019
I'm pumped about this product - best sounding organic amp sim tones outside the kemper - and in a much more manageable and focused package . This will be my next purchase. Any word on release date and price in canada?
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Nut

Sold... ships in 6 more days.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Great product! It reminds me a lot of my old Sans Amp GT pedal plus the room...
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Absolutely interested in this - fed up of messing around with amp sims and love the sound and simplicity of Iridium.
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Absolutely interested in this - fed up of messing around with amp sims and love the sound and simplicity of Iridium.
I'm genuinely surprised they were the first to think of this. Fender kind of took that approach with their recent modelled twin and deluxe, but this is funner for me as you get portability and a touch more variety.
Old 26th October 2019
The original POD went after this all-in-one concept -- albeit with a *VERY* different level of quality -- so it's not a new idea. What seems to be different here is the believability.
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The original POD went after this all-in-one concept -- albeit with a *VERY* different level of quality -- so it's not a new idea. What seems to be different here is the believability.
Yes, slightly different level! I wish there was also a digital output given that the signal already goes through an A>D conversion. My use would be almost exclusively in the studio. Really like that you can use your own IRs with the software, this obviously increases the longevity of the product.
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, slightly different level! I wish there was also a digital output given that the signal already goes through an A>D conversion. My use would be almost exclusively in the studio. Really like that you can use your own IRs with the software, this obviously increases the longevity of the product.
That's a good thought. It may have been just a matter of space to fit the digital output on there. I guess the USB is an option. Question though...since the ADC is capturing really high resolution, would recording digital direct really give you anything much over what you'll be gaining now, using the analog outputs? I guess you need to factor in whatever you're losing through a D.I. or line level converter, but I'd think you are still getting about the same quality.

(I'm still not clear if the pedal can give you line level output.????)

I think I read in a discussion on the Universal Audio OX Box (which has a SPDIF out @ 48k) that guitar doesn't really need to be tracked at a rate as high as 96k, and could be upsampled without worry, especially if it's rock guitar. No clue if that's true, but this product seems to avoid the issue in good fashion.

I want to hear more real life reviews from studio people, but I just might sell an amp to fund this. I'll likely get way more options in the long run recording with it.
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
I don't really agree - the original Pod had almost 20 amp models and every iteration of fx - it was not focused, it tried to do it all, like every modeller after it. Though the original pod had a pretty simple unterface. This is completepy different - no fx and focused high quality modelling of only three amp types.
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I think I read in a discussion on the Universal Audio OX Box (which has a SPDIF out @ 48k) that guitar doesn't really need to be tracked at a rate as high as 96k, and could be upsampled without worry, especially if it's rock guitar. No clue if that's true, but this product seems to avoid the issue in good fashion.
Actually the OX only outputs a 44.1 signal -- not even 48. I convert mine up to 48, the SR of my typical sessions, so in my scenario I have an A/D conversion going into the box and a SR conversion going out, but it still sounds great. Hard to distinguish from the analog passthru (though digital, even with the SR, does sound better). So, yes, lower SRs are capable of handling these tones. With cab emulation, the signal isn't very active above 6K. Not much going on up there.
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to have the option to go digitally. My guess is that there will eventually be a version -- probably in the larger-size -- which will allow the uploading of additional amp models (the way we can upload cab IRs) and perhaps it'll have a digital option. Maybe even some effects from the Timeline/Mobius. Imagine such a beast!

I just hope Strymon eventually ports these incredible boxes over to plugin form.
Old 26th October 2019
Gear Maniac

I just received mine today and played with it a couple of hours. I must say the tones you get are pretty spot on, at least regarding the vox and the fender amp. I don't have a Marshall amp so i can't really compare that one but it sure sounds very marshally. In regards to the 1st two options - You absolutely get an instant ac30 / deluxe feel in a confusingly great quality. I love it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search