Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal - Page 14 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I noticed when running a fuzz into the Iridium. The response was more broken that usual.
Like the Iridium didn't like it. It really didn't like the delay and reverb before it - though I would never normally do that. It was just for test purposes.
Regardless - I'm not convinced the Iridium likes pedals too much. Could just be my set up though..
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc303 ➡️
Thing is - I just invested in a new fuzz also. This Broadcast seems to cover that fuzz territory quite well. Any comment?
Broadcast has a huge range and can do anything from clean(ish) boost to broken fuzz. But there are so many kinds of fuzz, my Pharaoh Supreme sounds completely different to Broadcast.

Quote:
How about going straight in to a desk or interface with the Broadcast..?
That's what I like the most about the Iridium. Straight in the desk ready to perform/record.

Basically - thats my setup. Fuzz/Overdrive into a pre amp - into Delay/Reverb into Mixer - out to record. No Amp as such..
If it works for you, great. But Broadcast is just an overdrive/preamp pedal with no power amp or cab simulation, so obviously pluggin it straight to a desk doesn't sound like you expect a guitar to sound like.
Gear Head

Quote:
I noticed when running a fuzz into the Iridium. The response was more broken that usual.
Like the Iridium didn't like it. It really didn't like the delay and reverb before it - though I would never normally do that. It was just for test purposes.
Regardless - I'm not convinced the Iridium likes pedals too much. Could just be my set up though..
Be mindful of headroom. Like "real" amps, Iridium quickly gets "clogged" if you run signals too hot into it and it gets all mushy. Try lowering the gain on Iridium and/or output volume of your fuzz, and compensating with Iridium's volume knob or your mixer/interface or wherever you're running Iridium into.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmai ➡️
Broadcast has a huge range and can do anything from clean(ish) boost to broken fuzz. But there are so many kinds of fuzz, my Pharaoh Supreme sounds completely different to Broadcast.

If it works for you, great. But Broadcast is just an overdrive/preamp pedal with no power amp or cab simulation, so obviously pluggin it straight to a desk doesn't sound like you expect a guitar to sound like.
Damn this thread! Came to read if people are still liking it, left with a hudson broadcast on its way in the post.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmai ➡️
Like "real" amps, Iridium quickly gets "clogged" if you run signals too hot into it and it gets all mushy.
*Most* amps. A Schroeder DB-series, however, can be hard to clog. Hi-fi at its best.

The Iridium, yes, it has a dynamics threshold, but one similar to the 3 amps its emulating, so it's doing its job.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost ➡️
Damn this thread! Came to read if people are still liking it, left with a hudson broadcast on its way in the post.
I made out a little better than you... I only just ordered a clone of a Broadcast.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
*Most* amps. A Schroeder DB-series, however, can be hard to clog. Hi-fi at its best.

The Iridium, yes, it has a dynamics threshold, but one similar to the 3 amps its emulating, so it's doing its job.
Yeah sorry wasn't being clear, of course it depends on the headroom of the amp. More headroom = harder to clog.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
my barber exacta fuzz sounds awesome thru the iridium.

i use the ROUND model, full gain.
super fat.

i also use a Barber tone press,
a barber direct drive super sport,
a REVV G3, a fulltone fatboost III,
ALL sound awesome to my ears.
Old 26th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Good info guys!

So I've been playing around a bit more with the Iridium and understanding it further.
I do find myself leaving it on one cab/amp combo and just adjusting tone to suit.
I feel this pedal would be more valuable/suitable to those wanting the different amp sim options.

For me - I really just wanted it for a way to go "PreAmp/DI" into the desk with a great tone. Which it does well.
But then begs the question of justifying £400 do achieve this.

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives that would work for this "PreAmp/DI" into desk idea with a great open tone - minus the amp IR sims etc?
Currently I'm running into a rack mount tube pre amp with Hi Z inputs. This works great - though looking for something similar in a smaller cheaper pedal format for moving about easily..

any thoughts - suggestions?
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsbrew ➡️
my barber exacta fuzz sounds awesome thru the iridium.

i use the ROUND model, full gain.
super fat.

i also use a Barber tone press,
a barber direct drive super sport,
a REVV G3, a fulltone fatboost III,
ALL sound awesome to my ears.
Yeah - I'm finding the round model handles fuzz the best..
Though my guitar volume requires position 0-1 to not over feed the fuzz.
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️

makes sense.. I'm learning a lot about headroom due to the Iridium - strangely enough!
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Has anyone had much experience in using the headphone out on the Iridium as a separate stereo out for an "effects loop" for time based effects such as delay and reverb?

A recent video posted by Joe King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hbpO_HSGs
Suggests the outputs and headphone outputs are of a similar quality..

It would in term be a separate duplicate signal of course. Will attempt this next time I'm plugged in..

Thoughts?
Old 5th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How's the headphone out generally?
Old 5th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
Headphones out is generally pretty good.
One of it's strengths I'd say.

Just wish this thing had an effects send & return on it. Pref stereo

Still yet to experiment with using the headphone out as a parallel out to Delay/Reverb effects set with 100% wet mix.

Could be interesting having the full Iridium signal out and an effected signal out that could then be blended via mixer or in box etc..

Anyone tried this yet?
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
It's the only method I've used during my evaluation, and based on that alone I decided to keep it. It sounds awesome to me. I've played about every type of riff through it whether clean, slight breakup, medium crunch, or total chug type heavy riffs, and it just does what I was hoping, which is to give me the sound I'm used to from an amp. For the heavy style riffs I'd suggest using it clean then running a good distortion pedal into it. The Vox, and Marshal setting cranked with an overdrive are good sounding for some heavier riffs, just not all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ve only used the headphone out a couple of times but it sounds great.
Old 6th January 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Headphones were a concern in the past when the associated hardware was inferior but I agree with the others: the Iridium's phone-out is solid. It's neither over nor underbuilt.
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't use it that often but have liked the headphone out sound when I did.

It seems I came across a YouTube video, maybe in this thread, where a guy did some tests to figure out the difference between headphone out and the standard. I guess a lot of the message board talk was saying they were too vastly different. But after hearing his test I'd say there is almost no difference in sound between them.
📝 Reply