The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strymon announces Iridium Amp & IR Cab Pedal
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Here's a little thing I just put down with the Iridium.
Sounds Good!

What guitars did you use?
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by assessor View Post
Sounds Good!

What guitars did you use?
Thank you. It's a '69 (or '70) ES-335TDW on the left, a cheap Chinese Gretsch Electromatic on the right and an '82 Strat on the leads in the middle.
Old 26th January 2020
Gear Head

Anyone have both Kemper and Iridium? Do you think iridium is as good as Kemper? I really liked the clean tones in demos. But I'm not sure about overdrives.
Old 26th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madseason View Post
Anyone have both Kemper and Iridium? Do you think iridium is as good as Kemper? I really liked the clean tones in demos. But I'm not sure about overdrives.
I've had three Kempers over the last few years. I think the Iridium sounds better than the Kemper, taken as a whole.
Old 26th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I've had three Kempers over the last few years. I think the Iridium sounds better than the Kemper, taken as a whole.
Wow, I didn't expect that. I would love that, considering the price. Have you ever played it with Fuzz or wah pedals?
Old 26th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madseason View Post
Wow, I didn't expect that. I would love that, considering the price. Have you ever played it with Fuzz or wah pedals?
Others will disagree. The Kemper has a lot of happy users. I just always felt like it has an inherent sound that spans the profiles. The Iridium does too but I find it to be a more useable, believable sonic footprint.

Re: pedals, it’s one of the things I think the Iridium shines at. Responds to pedals in a very amp-like way. Really fun.
Old 27th January 2020
Quote:
Others will disagree. The Kemper has a lot of happy users. I just always felt like it has an inherent sound that spans the profiles. The Iridium does too but I find it to be a more useable, believable sonic footprint.
Agreed 100%. There's always been something about the Kemper profiles -- no matter how well they're created -- that I can't quite put my finger on, but I don't like hearing it. A kind of plasticity or lack of girth. It makes the Kemper somewhat easy to spot in the wild. The Iridium doesn't have that quality, at least not that same characteristic of inauthenticity.
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Agreed 100%. There's always been something about the Kemper profiles -- no matter how well they're created -- that I can't quite put my finger on, but I don't like hearing it. A kind of plasticity or lack of girth. It makes the Kemper somewhat easy to spot in the wild. The Iridium doesn't have that quality, at least not that same characteristic of inauthenticity.
The Iridium doesn't have that "quality"? Ha ha, like it was some kind of trait that is worth looking for... Craig Anderton over at KVR with his huge thread "The Big guitar Amp Sim Roundup" would be amused. The Iridium lacks that IDIOSYNCRASY or phenomenon. I've always thought that about any modeller. Turn it up loud in high end headphones, and in every setting, every patch, every amp, there's some "sameness" veil, sheen or total - in lack of better description - phase-haze over it all. On a real amp that background noise is at a white noise all over the spectrum, but I can't get rid of the different background "CHHHH" or "ZHHHH" of modellers whenever going into bitrate, sampling, buffers, and their digital chip speeds. I've read that this is virtually impossible to get rid of. You can only minimize it.
Old 9th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post
The Iridium doesn't have that "quality"? Ha ha, like it was some kind of trait that is worth looking for...
The opposite: it's a trait worth removing, hence the post about the Iridium *not* having that quality, which is a sign of artificiality to my ears.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The opposite: it's a trait worth removing, hence the post about the Iridium *not* having that quality, which is a sign of artificiality to my ears.
!?!?
The Iridium HAS A quality in which this artificiality is removed, should it say, don't you think? A quality is something that is superior to former/other attempts at it as far as I know. A quality is not something that is not worth having. Think of the double negation you do here... It isn't a quality that Kemper has, it is a shortcoming, a thing that is not screaming quality. They may very well having a lack of QC "quality control" in that case, and as such the "plasticity" thing of Kemper is not a "quality". It lacks that quality that Iridium has. It isn't a quality that Kemper has, that has been removed in the Iridium. It's not a "quality". It isn't a trait, it is a shortcoming, drawback, compromise, concession, cut corners.
Remember:

Iridium has that quality that Kemper lacks in that regard.
or
Iridium has a special quality that Kemper lacks, and that is...

You have to do a comparative. It's neither a "trait" nor "quality"

Quote:
The Iridium doesn't have that quality, at least not that same characteristic of inauthenticity.
Instead it should say:

Quote:
The Iridium doesn't have that same characteristic of inauthenticity.
Mind you: I liked your post anyway, and sort of, got what it really was, eventually, but it came across like plasticity and inauthentic charasteristic is a trait or quality, that some people views as superior to having authenticity.
Old 17th February 2020
I wrote it as I'd intended: the Iridium lack the Kemper's particular issue, but the Iridium is not perfect so it has other signs (albeit very subtle) of being an emulation. The average ear might even need to have them pointed out. This makes it quite a great product. I prefer it to the Kemper, sonically, though the Kemper is far more flexible and feature-packed.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

I think there’s maybe just a simple language barrier glitch here... i’m english and i read ‘quality’ as synonymous with ‘attribute’.. that’s a completely normal use of the word in england, and it doesn’t imply excellence or any judgement good or bad.

It’s a different use from e.g. “quality cars” which *is* intended to imply excellence.

Anyway, back to the iridium... not to bd confused with bluguitar’s iridium amp-in-a-pedal
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wrote it as I'd intended: the Iridium lack the Kemper's particular issue, but the Iridium is not perfect so it has other signs (albeit very subtle) of being an emulation. The average ear might even need to have them pointed out. This makes it quite a great product. I prefer it to the Kemper, sonically, though the Kemper is far more flexible and feature-packed.
what sort of sound quality would you point out about the Iridium to the average ear?

Does anyone have any liks or resources of how is the Iridium selling compared to Kemper or other vendors with similar products in the marketplace?

It's been out since Oct 2019, right? There should be some data in from distributors by now.
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Maniac
I don't know why, and how a measurement or comparison between a 480 USD pedal and a 1.800 USD rack unit, or floor pedal should make any sense to anyone. Remember: The Iridium can be profiled into the Kemper...if you'd like.

I wouldn't make any comparisons between those too. You could just as well compare the Iridium to a real tube amp at that cost too 1.800 USD. Would be a bit more fair, especially since it was one of those that exists in the Iridium.

EDIT: October 2019. Yes that makes it almost half a year soon, we hit into March on Sunday... still severely backordered. But that one, no one can calculate with really. I've heard the same on the ASM Hydrasynth. The company apologizes and hadn't expected this huge demand for it.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know why, and how a measurement or comparison between a 480 USD pedal and a 1.800 USD rack unit, or floor pedal should make any sense to anyone. Remember: The Iridium can be profiled into the Kemper...if you'd like.

I wouldn't make any comparisons between those too. You could just as well compare the Iridium to a real tube amp at that cost too 1.800 USD. Would be a bit more fair, especially since it was one of those that exists in the Iridium.

EDIT: October 2019. Yes that makes it almost half a year soon, we hit into March on Sunday... still severely backordered. But that one, no one can calculate with really. I've heard the same on the ASM Hydrasynth. The company apologizes and hadn't expected this huge demand for it.
Are you under the impression there's a linear relationship between retail price and some sort of objective sonic quality? I think that relationship fails on both accounts (being neither linear nor objective).

Personally, I think the Iridium sounds better than the Kemper and I don't think it has much of anything to do with retail price. It's DSP we're talking about here and how well that DSP models real amps has everything to do with the people developing it. Retail price has a lot more to do with how exhaustive a feature set the developers settle on, what hardware implementation they're using and how expensive it was for them to develop the thing.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

what i dont get is, its the highest priced amp sim pedal on the market (at least in my area).
Old 25th February 2020
Anyone who equates price with quality is going to have a challenging career in modern music production. Stick with what your ears tell you -- your wallet might thank you.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Although they're long winded about it, and could get to the point way faster, I think those two are not over the top enthusiastic about it. And they have more or less the same view as I had when I finally got to test it thoroughly. Otherwise I think that Pedal Show guys are way too kind and not going against the stream, which they don't need to since it is a non-profit thing they got going.

They're over the top in the practical and convenience thing, but so are others, and they think it is a bit pricey for what it does, really. And they have the same objections to what I have about all IR's towards the end of the unnecessary long video. It ain't going to capture the initial transient response when a speaker cone is about to choke, and "negative flybacks" to the transistor amps. That Pedal Show did not mention the lack of sag, which I detected too. The most difference came in comparing the Fender amps to the Iridium.

There's some brittleness they said, and that's why they didn't turn up the treble more. I heard the difference most in the Fender... there's a delicate shimmering treble that is even heard when just moving the fingers along the strings in between changing chords.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Anyone who equates price with quality is going to have a challenging career in modern music production. Stick with what your ears tell you -- your wallet might thank you.
But as we have seen, and detected very clearly, in this thread a few posts ago, it depends on who has the preferential right of interpretation of what the word quality means, don't you think?.

Gotcha!
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
But as we have seen, and detected very clearly, in this thread a few posts ago, it depends on who has the preferential right of interpretation of what the word quality means, don't you think?.

Gotcha!
?? That's nothing more than a very long way of saying, "quality is in the ear of the beholder," which is obvious for any audio gear -- yes we each decide what sounds best -- but it doesn't play into your ongoing speeches about price = performance, which, again, is a false correlation.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Although they're long winded about it, and could get to the point way faster, I think those two are not over the top enthusiastic about it. And they have more or less the same view as I had when I finally got to test it thoroughly. Otherwise I think that Pedal Show guys are way too kind and not going against the stream, which they don't need to since it is a non-profit thing they got going.

They're over the top in the practical and convenience thing, but so are others, and they think it is a bit pricey for what it does, really. And they have the same objections to what I have about all IR's towards the end of the unnecessary long video. It ain't going to capture the initial transient response when a speaker cone is about to choke, and "negative flybacks" to the transistor amps. That Pedal Show did not mention the lack of sag, which I detected too. The most difference came in comparing the Fender amps to the Iridium.

There's some brittleness they said, and that's why they didn't turn up the treble more. I heard the difference most in the Fender... there's a delicate shimmering treble that is even heard when just moving the fingers along the strings in between changing chords.
I think you’ve very subtlety “flavored” what the actually said in this video...

They also didn’t experiment with changing any IRs or evaluate this in the context of a mix at all... also, I don’t recall if they shared what they’re actually running the pedal into the room with (amplification wise)...

If this pedal had an FX loop it’d be pretty close to perfect... but, everybody’s got their opinion. What I know (and anybody who has been around for a bit and is honest) also knows that, in the context of a mix (record or live) there’s not a blindfolded guy in the world that could tell the difference. It also takes pedals really well, which has never been my experience with kemper. Delays and reverbs are fine, but ODs, boosts... dirt in general? Not so much

IMO... Kemper is an amazing platform for a specific thing... touring acts... capture the sound used on the record as patches... boom! Brilliant. Or, capture the signal chain in Studio A and then you have it available later for overdubs, etc whenever you need to do them.

Otherwise, for most amateurs, club players... I don’t “get it”. Most guys here on the internet aren’t rolling their own from their collection of awesome gear, because, they don’t don’t own any.... rather, they’re just buying patches based on what some dude on the internet is saying made up the chain in that patch and how well he captured it. For these guys, it sort of reminds me of the old “Tag Knows Tone” talking about playing Mustang Sally at the local bar on the new Dumble he mortgages his house to buy... Only less $$$ spent
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I think you’ve very subtlety “flavored” what the actually said in this video...
Then again, the guy's agenda is a far less than subtle, so the pick-and-choose-and-revise approach isn't surprising.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

The Fender is where the distinction comes in most notably in that vid because, among other things, they’re getting a pretty thin, spiky sound out of that amp (Super Reverb I think) and comparing it to the much more mid forward Deluxe Reverb model in the Iridium. Not the only distinction, but a major one.

Also, who cares what two random dudes think about a pedal. I mean the audio is worthwhile but I don’t have any interest in the commentary. For one thing they’re commenting on something entirely different from what we’re experiencing. They’re listening through some PA speaker and we’re hearing the actual direct audio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

From my perspective you can’t be over the top with the practical and convenience thing. I can grab a pair of cans, my Iridium(and PS), guitar and lead and I’m ready to go. To my knowledge, nothing compares with this quality at this point in time (though funnily enough I had a lot of fun with a zoom 505 yesterday).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
.. Also, who cares what two random dudes think about a pedal...
As opposed to here ... or ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As opposed to here ... or ?
There's a difference between just saying, "Ok, I've used this and here's what I think" and posting a video and doing a selective analysis of the video's commentary as if it's somehow extra noteworthy or something.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Oh dear...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So where are we with this Iridium thing? Any way you flip it, its a Amp Sim pedal that costs around about as much as an entry level real amp (1 x 12 and 2 x 12 models). Its a cool modern guitar tool but after a bit of research, I still think any way you flip it, its a pedal.

Its insane that a Behringer amp sim pedal is priced $50 and this thing is $500. I only used computer software sims before and never looked at hardware that much. Once I started doing some research, it turns out Iridium is in a pretty crowded market. The IR's are an acquired taste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
Its insane that a Behringer amp sim pedal is priced $50 and this thing is $500.
You mean like the way UA LA2a's are $3800 and Behringer 2a's (KT2a) are $398? Looks like the economy of scale is pretty close. Both are decent. Neither are a replacement for a vintage 2a. All are good tools. The Iridium ROCKS!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

... it's an amp modeler for someone who already has a pedalboard they like.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search