Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface - Page 7 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
Old 12th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
You're welcome.

x6 headphone amp is much beefier.

150mW vs 96.
Is there a way to mute headphone out?
Old 12th February 2020 | Show parent
Manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Is there a way to mute headphone out?
You can option click on Cue sends to mute them all at once. Otherwise, no.
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can option click on Cue sends to mute them all at once. Otherwise, no.
Thanks and is mono fixed or is it still +3db?
Old 5th April 2020 | Show parent
Manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks and is mono fixed or is it still +3db?
Mono compensation is fixed in the forthcoming 9.11.1 update that will ship with LUNA. Hang in there and thanks for your patience on this one.
Old 5th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mono compensation is fixed in the forthcoming 9.11.1 update that will ship with LUNA. Hang in there and thanks for your patience on this one.

Good news!
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Currently on the fence about these two as I'm upgrading from the Arrow for my home studio which I use to track vocals primarily.

Is there really a major difference between the X4 & Twin X Quad besides the number of inputs, the size, and cost? From what I've seen pretty much they look the same as far as under the hood specs or I could be wrong?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosensi View Post
Currently on the fence about these two as I'm upgrading from the Arrow for my home studio which I use to track vocals primarily.

Is there really a major difference between the X4 & Twin X Quad besides the number of inputs, the size, and cost? From what I've seen pretty much they look the same as far as under the hood specs or I could be wrong?

Thank you in advance for your input.
If you want to expand the twin you have to use another uad product, if you want to be free to expand you should get the x4 because it has optical in and out, where the twin only has in. At the price of an x4 you might as well get the x6 because it will most likely have a better DA, and more outputs and inputs and you can get a cheaper monitor controller to control it.
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you want to expand the twin you have to use another uad product, if you want to be free to expand you should get the x4 because it has optical in and out, where the twin only has in. At the price of an x4 you might as well get the x6 because it will most likely have a better DA, and more outputs and inputs and you can get a cheaper monitor controller to control it.
You think that would be overkill if the main thing I'm doing is putting vocals down?

I've seen the X6 and heard great things compared to the others.

But for me the X6 doesn't seem to provide the mobility the others do so that's why I left it out of the equation of purchasing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You think that would be overkill if the main thing I'm doing is putting vocals down?

But for me the X6 doesn't seem to provide the mobility the others do so that's why I left it out of the equation of purchasing.
Yeah a little. The mk2 twin sounds nice on the way in
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The x6 is the big bang for the buck of all UAD interfaces. Cheapest price to get better conversion and more expandability options. But that's not to say the converters of the Twin or x4 is really going to slow anyone down. But if you grow into mixing larger projects with other gear, the lack of expandability becomes an issue with those.

If the only thing you are doing is tracking vocals, I wouldn't recommend UAD at all.

There are plenty more affordable interfaces that will have a decent enough preamp, or the option to insert your chosen preamp, and track a vocal.

UAD products are really for people trying to mix engineer a whole project, as well as track.
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
When set to line, you pass through a VERY clean amp at Unity. But no, that amp cannot be bypassed.
Hello, I Tried to connect my external pre to X4 setting it to line and gain at 0, but on console it says 10db, is that unity? so no additional gain is added? It doesn't go to 0..

Thanks!
Manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post
Hello, I Tried to connect my external pre to X4 setting it to line and gain at 0, but on console it says 10db, is that unity? so no additional gain is added? It doesn't go to 0..

Thanks!
With Line in selected, you can ignore that read out.
Gear Nut

Quote:
With Line in selected, you can ignore that read out.
Thanks, but even then if I touch the gain it can rise and I hear a boost in volume, is that normal? So I can boost the gain but if kept at β€œ0” (10db read out) is at unity? Or is something wrong ?
Manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post
Thanks, but even then if I touch the gain it can rise and I hear a boost in volume, is that normal? So I can boost the gain but if kept at β€œ0” (10db read out) is at unity? Or is something wrong ?
Yes, it's Unity.
Old 27th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The improved clocking on the X series brings the jitter down to sub 10 pico seconds. The Twin X and x4 are in the 50s.
How does this affect the sound?
Old 27th May 2020 | Show parent
Manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.beneton View Post
How does this affect the sound?
Some/many users don't notice at all. Some notice an improved stereo image or depth of sound field. It's quite a personal thing really.
πŸ“ Reply