The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
Old 29th November 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwup View Post
Ah, guess I could have looked myself! Thanks - much appreciated!
Greg
Happy to help!!
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

If the chips are 11 years old shouldn’t they be a bit cheaper now, since UA can make money on the plugins instead of upgrading the chips?
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

@ Universal Audio I purchased an x8p and x4 about a month ago and filled out the online form for my free satellite. I haven't heard back about that or seen any emails. Is there anything else I need to do? Not complaining about the wait, just making sure I didn't miss something!
Old 6th December 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
@ Universal Audio I purchased an x8p and x4 about a month ago and filled out the online form for my free satellite. I haven't heard back about that or seen any emails. Is there anything else I need to do? Not complaining about the wait, just making sure I didn't miss something!
No, nothing more you need to do. If you're concerned that Sales didn't get it, you can log into your UA account and there should be a confirmation message at the top of one of the pages. Have a look.

Let me know if you don't see it or need any help.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
No, nothing more you need to do. If you're concerned that Sales didn't get it, you can log into your UA account and there should be a confirmation message at the top of one of the pages. Have a look.

Let me know if you don't see it or need any help.
Oh ya. I just looked and at the top of my dashboard it says "Congratulations! We have received your promotion request and we are working on it.". Never noticed that until now, thanks!
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Head

TB cables and multiple satellites

Quote:
Hi all,
Please quote this post if you have any product questions I can answer.
Question:

You had a great suggestion of adding distance from a noisy computer fan by using multiple thunderbolt devices.

Do you know how far this will truly go and operate properly?

For example, I was thinking that I would go:

1) Apollo x8p -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
2) Henge Stone Pro (thunderbolt usb Dongle with external thunderbolt port similar to your Apollo and Satellites -> 2m Thunderbolt cable ->
3) Uad Satellite Octo -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
4) ANOTHER satellite octo -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
5) MacBook Pro

This would provide enough cable length (over 20 feet, albeit, with satellites strewn along the way) to get my noisy computer into my machine room AND a lot of DSP because I'm heavily invested in UAD plugins and enjoy them.

Right now I'm using the USB-c Henge Stone (multiple usb dongle) and it is absolutely great to have all of my DAW control surfaces and usb midi inputs go directly INTO the Apollo THEN to my computer - streamlined.

I know this is a very specific question - but any thoughts on it? I would rather get another Satellite over another computer -but the fan noise is killing me.

On a separate note, I received the Apollo x8p and it truly is plug and play and so very useful. I'm very happy I have made the move to Apollo - solid as a rock, DSP, and 8 mic preamps (that's mind blowing).

2 suggestions:
1) Make your Console HUI compatible! having physical control over volumes for tracking is a godsend (for example a Faderport or SSL Nucleus could control it - especially a Nucleus as it can control up to three DAWs at once)
2) as someone else has suggested - let people rearrange the channels in Console so they can consolidate the most used channels without scrolling all about

Pardon the lengthy post

Stellar products - hats off to you and the rest of the UAD team - this truly is incredible technology rolled into one tidy package.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearinUp View Post
Question:

You had a great suggestion of adding distance from a noisy computer fan by using multiple thunderbolt devices.

Do you know how far this will truly go and operate properly?

For example, I was thinking that I would go:

1) Apollo x8p -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
2) Henge Stone Pro (thunderbolt usb Dongle with external thunderbolt port similar to your Apollo and Satellites -> 2m Thunderbolt cable ->
3) Uad Satellite Octo -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
4) ANOTHER satellite octo -> 2m thunderbolt cable ->
5) MacBook Pro

This would provide enough cable length (over 20 feet, albeit, with satellites strewn along the way) to get my noisy computer into my machine room AND a lot of DSP because I'm heavily invested in UAD plugins and enjoy them.
I think you'd be at the threshold at 20m. But you can Google this with "max length of thunderbolt 3 cable effectiveness"

If your computer is really that loud you might want to build an isolation box, or get it checked out!
Old 12th December 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearinUp View Post
I know this is a very specific question - but any thoughts on it? I would rather get another Satellite over another computer -but the fan noise is killing me.

On a separate note, I received the Apollo x8p and it truly is plug and play and so very useful. I'm very happy I have made the move to Apollo - solid as a rock, DSP, and 8 mic preamps (that's mind blowing).

2 suggestions:
1) Make your Console HUI compatible! having physical control over volumes for tracking is a godsend (for example a Faderport or SSL Nucleus could control it - especially a Nucleus as it can control up to three DAWs at once)
2) as someone else has suggested - let people rearrange the channels in Console so they can consolidate the most used channels without scrolling all about
Hi GearinUp,
Thanks for the post, and glad you're enjoying your UA device!

Indeed it is a specific question and sadly there's really only one way to find out if it'll work.

I suspect that it will (TB is an amazing protocol), but would hesitate to give you the green light and then it doesn't.

Control surface support and Console improvements are often requested features, I'll add your voice to the chorus.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

I had a bit of a weird hiccup today that’s never happened with other Apollo’s in the past, wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I’ve got my x8p and x4 chained together via thunderbolt cable. Most of the inputs were on the x8p, I had one mic plugged into the x4. Recorded a live take of the band, played it back and the one mic going into the x4 was lagging by a lot time wise. It wasn’t a small timing issue, it was almost a full second behind when playing back. Restarting the Apollo’s and ProTools didn’t fix the issue at first, I ended up having to go back into the UA Console settings and recognize both Apollo’s to get the problem to go away.

After that, everything went smoothly! It made me a bit paranoid though throughout the session. Wondering if @ Universal Audio had heard anything or if anyone else had the problem between multiple Apollo’s?
Old 13th December 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
I ended up having to go back into the UA Console settings and recognize both Apollo’s to get the problem to go away.
Hi andersmv,
I'm curious what this means?

I have seen this before for sure, unfortunately. Thankfully a quick toggle of our delay compensation (along with full power cycle) usually does the trick. The driver is very complex and occasionally needs a little smack!

Sorry for the scare.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I had a bit of a weird hiccup today that’s never happened with other Apollo’s in the past, wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I’ve got my x8p and x4 chained together via thunderbolt cable. Most of the inputs were on the x8p, I had one mic plugged into the x4. Recorded a live take of the band, played it back and the one mic going into the x4 was lagging by a lot time wise. It wasn’t a small timing issue, it was almost a full second behind when playing back. Restarting the Apollo’s and ProTools didn’t fix the issue at first, I ended up having to go back into the UA Console settings and recognize both Apollo’s to get the problem to go away.

After that, everything went smoothly! It made me a bit paranoid though throughout the session. Wondering if @ Universal Audio had heard anything or if anyone else had the problem between multiple Apollo’s?
I've had it happen once several years ago, but not since. Not sure what caused it to be honest.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
If the chips are 11 years old shouldn’t they be a bit cheaper now, since UA can make money on the plugins instead of upgrading the chips?
Yes, the chips are quite cheap and UA are charging a hefty premium for them.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

This still happens to me. You solve it by shutting off the apollo. It has to do with delay compensation when two units are synced I’ve never experienced it with one apollo. Don’t know what that means though
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

about apogee ensemble and apollo x4

I am between apogee ensemble and apollo x4..which do you think sounds better in da and of course in ad too? can anyone compare them? thanks!!
Old 15th December 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimosz View Post
I am between apogee ensemble and apollo x4..which do you think sounds better in da and of course in ad too? can anyone compare them? thanks!!
We're not a company that likes to get into "spec contests", because we understand that the total package can be greater than the sum of its parts...... but without listening tests, it's sometimes all you can go by.

In this case the x4 wins easily.

But please do get an in person demo of the two units and judge for yourself, you may have a preference that goes against the specs.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions.
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

UA just dropped the price for the Analog Classics Pro bundle from 450,- to 150,-. Tamed my lust for any of the new desktops which come with the Analog Classics Pro to be honest. Think I will wait until next summer and see if UA can make better offers than these days.
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
UA just dropped the price for the Analog Classics Pro bundle from 450,- to 150,-. Tamed my lust for any of the new desktops which come with the Analog Classics Pro to be honest. Think I will wait until next summer and see if UA can make better offers than these days.
You must be living right. They want to charge me $300 for that.
Old 18th December 2019
Manufacturer

The pricing dynamic and based on what you own already and therefore might be different for each user.
Old 18th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The improved clocking on the X series brings the jitter down to sub 10 pico seconds. The Twin X and x4 are in the 50s.
Hey UAD, can you please explain to an old lunkhead the realtime, discernible audio differences between the Apollo X6 clocking (which I already own) and the new Apollo Twin X Quad? I'm considering picking up a Twin X Quad to use at home/remote for post/mix/playback with the occasional overdub.

Thanx!

Danny
Old 18th December 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Shaffer View Post
Hey UAD, can you please explain to an old lunkhead the realtime, discernible differences between the clocking between the X6 (which I already own) and the new Twin X Quad? I'm considering picking up a Twin X Quad to use at home/remote for post/mix/playback with the occasional overdub.

Thanx!

Danny
Hi Danny,
There might not be any!!

Seriously, the clocking in the Twin X is already excellent! It just so happens that the dual crystal clocks in the X series are next level, rivaling dedicated master clocks.

So I wouldn't have any problems using a Twin X at home or on the road for serious pro work. Pros have been making records on prev gen Twins for year, let alone Twin X and x4.

But when/if you connect the Twin X with your x6, be sure to make the x6 the monitor unit so it's the clock master. Actually, if you wanted to, you could compare the clocks since Twin X and x6 have the same D/A.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Drew
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
You must be living right. They want to charge me $300 for that.
Me too now. The guys from the marketing division are not from this planet I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hello there, I am thinking about buying a X4 to use for my mobile rig with an Apple Macbook. I believe that this will be useful and make for a very good portable rig. But as I am new to UAD world, I do have some questions for other usage scenarios:
a) Will I be able to use the X4 solely as a dsp unit when I am working with my main Mac Pro and my Apogee interface (the ensemble thunderbolt). That means, I want to work in my current setup but use the UAD plugins via the X4, connected to a separate thunderbolt port on my Mac? Practically use the X4 as a satellite.
b) Will I be able to use the AD conversion and the preamps of the X4 when I connect them with my Apogee interface via ADAT (as an expansion of the 8 record in channels of the Apogee, so that I would have 12 tracks record armed.
c) If b) is possible, could I also use the unison function and record with UAD plugins when connecting the X4 via ADAT to my main interface?
d) If a) is not possible, could I use the x4 as primary interface (with using UAD plugins also for mixing) and then connect the ensemble to the x4 via ADAT if necessary?
Has anybody compared the X-series DA conversion with the Apogee ensemble DA conversion? Would this be on the same level?
Thanks for these complicated questions and my poor knowledge in UAD.
And hoping for some good holidays, Geret
Old 4 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Hello there, I am thinking about buying a X4 to use for my mobile rig with an Apple Macbook. I believe that this will be useful and make for a very good portable rig. But as I am new to UAD world, I do have some questions for other usage scenarios:
a) Will I be able to use the X4 solely as a dsp unit when I am working with my main Mac Pro and my Apogee interface (the ensemble thunderbolt). That means, I want to work in my current setup but use the UAD plugins via the X4, connected to a separate thunderbolt port on my Mac? Practically use the X4 as a satellite.
b) Will I be able to use the AD conversion and the preamps of the X4 when I connect them with my Apogee interface via ADAT (as an expansion of the 8 record in channels of the Apogee, so that I would have 12 tracks record armed.
c) If b) is possible, could I also use the unison function and record with UAD plugins when connecting the X4 via ADAT to my main interface?
d) If a) is not possible, could I use the x4 as primary interface (with using UAD plugins also for mixing) and then connect the ensemble to the x4 via ADAT if necessary?
Has anybody compared the X-series DA conversion with the Apogee ensemble DA conversion? Would this be on the same level?
Thanks for these complicated questions and my poor knowledge in UAD.
And hoping for some good holidays, Geret
Hi Geret,
a) yes, you can do this no problem.
b) yes, but only if you're aggregating the interfaces.
c) no, you'd have to be aggregating, you can't feed the x4 into the other interface.
d) you may want to do this instead of b and c.

The x4 conversion is beyond the Ensemble and is at or above the level of the Symphony line. I think you'll want to use the x4 as your primary interface.

Happy to help in whatever way I can. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Drew
Old 4 weeks ago
Hey Drew, that's what I call customer service. Wow! Thanks that you took the time to answer on a Saturday...! And the answers are also satisfying. Really cool that I can use the interface also separately as my 'first' dsp station for UA plugs. I was always reluctant to jump into UA world - despite being a very happy owner and user of an amazing 6176. But since I own already far too many native high-end plugs (including Acustica Audio stuff) I always thought to better not open the UA can of tools - selfdefense :-) It will be interesting to see how they compare.
Using the X4 as main interface sounds also interesting. I will have to check that out. Could work actually as I normally only record singer/songwriters and do overdubs and reampings in my own studio where 4 channels are just about right. And there are some things that do not work well with the Apogee like the talkback which just sucks.
Main usage will be as mobile rig though as I hopp a lot between different studios nowadays in different cities and it will feel good to have a mobile backup for recording in my bag with me. And to be able to do work for real when traveling.
How are users of X4 satisfied with the headphone amps?
So thx again for helping out. I will report how the X4 made its way into my setup and how I feel the UA plugins compare to the top-notch native stuff. Because actually it is quite rare here at GS that users are into UAD and into high quality native world like Pulsar, Vertigo, Leapwing, Fuse and AA..
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Red face

Quote:
The improved clocking on the X series brings the jitter down to sub 10 pico seconds. The Twin X and x4 are in the 50s.
Hey there, so the Twin X has Jitter around 50 Pico seconds , is this right? What Jitter rejection it have, any? Is it Solo-Crystal Clocking instead Dual-Crystal Clocking like in the 6x?

In someones experience with the Units is it possible to hear much quality difference in Audio between Twin X and x6?

I think about to go for Twin X from Prism Lyra 2,
Old 23 hours ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFTETC1 View Post
Hey there, so the Twin X has Jitter around 50 Pico seconds , is this right? What Jitter rejection it have, any? Is it Solo-Crystal Clocking instead Dual-Crystal Clocking like in the 6x?

In someones experience with the Units is it possible to hear much quality difference in Audio between Twin X and x6?

I think about to go for Twin X from Prism Lyra 2,
Twin X has the single crystal clocking.

Twin X and x6 have the same conversion, so while the clocking is different, the difference is VERY subtle (if noticeable at all by many listeners)
Old 20 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Twin X has the single crystal clocking.

Twin X and x6 have the same conversion, so while the clocking is different, the difference is VERY subtle (if noticeable at all by many listeners)
Okey nice to hear! Thank you for the info
How does the Twin X headphone Amp compare to the x6?
Old 17 hours ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFTETC1 View Post
Okey nice to hear! Thank you for the info
How does the Twin X headphone Amp compare to the x6?
You're welcome.

x6 headphone amp is much beefier.

150mW vs 96.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search