The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audeze LCD-1 Open Back
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by te-problematique View Post
I went for the AT in the end as the price was a bit lower. Very happy! They sound fantastic.
Ugh, I just came back from the store and didn't get any of these two. AT's sounded a bit more open and the bass was more prominent, but they totally fell apart when I played See Mi Yah by Rhythm&Sound on them. Like, the both of us, the seller and myself, couldn't believe how much they were distorting in sub bass area. Maybe it was because of a wrong amp, we were driving the headphones directly from Scarlett 18i20 interface.

Audeze LCD1 sounded a bit more balanced, but were lacking in bass (although bass was clear and went deep) and some mids (3-4khz) . Imaging wasn't the best as well. Everything sounds like it's coming from the center, unless it's panned 100% left and right.

I'm gonna try 650's tomorrow and if they fail me I'll start crying. It's unbelievable that you can't find a good, trusty headphones for mixing and mastering for around $500. Like wtf?!
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websitey View Post
Ugh, I just came back from the store and didn't get any of these two. AT's sounded a bit more open and the bass was more prominent, but they totally fell apart when I played See Mi Yah by Rhythm&Sound on them. Like, the both of us, the seller and myself, couldn't believe how much they were distorting in sub bass area. Maybe it was because of a wrong amp, we were driving the headphones directly from Scarlett 18i20 interface.

Audeze LCD1 sounded a bit more balanced, but were lacking in bass (although bass was clear and went deep) and some mids (3-4khz) . Imaging wasn't the best as well. Everything sounds like it's coming from the center, unless it's panned 100% left and right.

I'm gonna try 650's tomorrow and if they fail me I'll start crying. It's unbelievable that you can't find a good, trusty headphones for mixing and mastering for around $500. Like wtf?!
650s are flatter than both probably, but don’t have the detail retrieval and dynamics. They tell you a good picture of what’s going on, but personally I found making dynamic decisions on them really hard. Honestly, I think the 650s are the flattest of any headphone available, but that’s not the whole story.

I have mastered a ton with the LCD-1 at this point. Very few revisions (usually none actually). I use them with reveal to fill out the bass and even out the mids. Really any headphone (even the 650s) need eq to even out the frequency response.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's unbelievable that you can't find a good, trusty headphones for mixing and mastering for around $500. Like wtf?!
Give the HiFiman Sundaras a spin if they have them.
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Give the HiFiman Sundaras a spin if they have them.
Unfortunately, they are nowhere to be found here.
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
650s are flatter than both probably, but don’t have the detail retrieval and dynamics. They tell you a good picture of what’s going on, but personally I found making dynamic decisions on them really hard. Honestly, I think the 650s are the flattest of any headphone available, but that’s not the whole story.

I have mastered a ton with the LCD-1 at this point. Very few revisions (usually none actually). I use them with reveal to fill out the bass and even out the mids. Really any headphone (even the 650s) need eq to even out the frequency response.
Thanks for the info. I figured that will be the case.
Any experience with Beyer 1990's? I started considering those as well, although I hated 770s for overly bright highs.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Are you choosing the LCD-1's over your other cans and IEMs? LCDi4 etc?
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I figured that will be the case.
Any experience with Beyer 1990's? I started considering those as well, although I hated 770s for overly bright highs.
Never tried them.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Are you choosing the LCD-1's over your other cans and IEMs? LCDi4 etc?
No and yes. The i4/4z have a lot more in the way of micro detail, imaging and low end clarity/detail. The 1s have a narrower image because the drivers are closer to your ears, but that also contributes to them having probably the flattest mids of any Audeze headphone. So it's a tradeoff.

The 1s are my favorite travel headphone. The i4s are great, but they block out 0 sound and you need absolute silence to use them. Also the Reveal setting for them doesn't go far enough to correct the response. Also the 1s are the most comfortable: the i4s are precarious like all in ears and the 4z get heavy after a while.

Also I stopped using Can Opener as it makes the mids a bit more opaque. I found that spectrally it seemed to be doing what Reveal was doing, so it would generally make the Reveal settings feel too washed out in the upper mids and too bass heavy. Without Can Opener they sound closer to speakers and seem to translate better. I haven't used the Clears in about a year probably. I find the Audeze easier to use for longer periods of time without fatigue.

The Reveal Linear Phase filters are a whole new ballgame! They sound better to me than the same curve in Equilibrium.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Reveal Linear Phase filters are a whole new ballgame! They sound better to me than the same curve in Equilibrium.
I need to update Reveal. I will do that today
Old 22nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Also I stopped using Can Opener as it makes the mids a bit more opaque. I found that spectrally it seemed to be doing what Reveal was doing, so it would generally make the Reveal settings feel too washed out in the upper mids and too bass heavy. Without Can Opener they sound closer to speakers and seem to translate better. I haven't used the Clears in about a year probably. I find the Audeze easier to use for longer periods of time without fatigue.
Very curious about other LCD-1 users' experiences with Can Opener. I recently bought a pair after working with KRK KNS 8400 for years, and Can Opener did a really fine job with those in tandem with Sonarworks. I have to say I've been struggling to find satisfactory settings for CO with the LCD-1 (with Reveal running as well), they've sounded quite muddy and lacking distinction with the crossfeed amount set any higher than 70%. That being said, I'm also still getting to know these cans and don't want to jump to conclusions.
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm using Reveal with my LCD-1s, plus CanOpener. Here's a screen shot of my CO settings. I'm using IK MTMs and I found this to be a setting that translates reasonably well with my speaker setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slangking View Post
Very curious about other LCD-1 users' experiences with Can Opener. I recently bought a pair after working with KRK KNS 8400 for years, and Can Opener did a really fine job with those in tandem with Sonarworks. I have to say I've been struggling to find satisfactory settings for CO with the LCD-1 (with Reveal running as well), they've sounded quite muddy and lacking distinction with the crossfeed amount set any higher than 70%. That being said, I'm also still getting to know these cans and don't want to jump to conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Audeze LCD-1 Open Back-screen-shot-2020-08-22-5.16.30-pm.png  
Old 23rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for that! I appreciate the corroboration that the bass is in need of a little toning down.
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Oh crap another pair of headphones I need to consider.

I know its already been asked, but anyone compare to the AT 70x or DT880 properly yet? I'm also keen on trying the Phillips Fidelio X2HR which frequently pop up for £160 ish.

I tried a pair of open back planar last week, the 35ohm Hifiman 400i's sounded lovely (not super balanced though), but where WAY WAY quieter than all my other 35ohm cans so had to be returned pronto.

Do LCD1 sound nice and loud even via iMacs and phones? I'll mainly be using with a Project DAC, which likes my 35ohm cans

Currently in love with the AKG K371BT (super well balanced sound), but am always after a different contrasting set of headphones.
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Anyone compared the LCD-1 to the Monoprice M1060?
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
I'm also keen on trying the Phillips Fidelio X2HR which frequently pop up for £160 ish.
These are solid option and sort of nobrainer in this price range, if no specific music style is of concern but rather great allarounder. I suggest trying these out. Only problem for me is that X3 is right around the corner, really would already be here if the werent for the covid. I will bet they have bigger changes in design than sound though.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
These are solid option and sort of nobrainer in this price range, if no specific music style is of concern but rather great allarounder. I suggest trying these out. Only problem for me is that X3 is right around the corner, really would already be here if the werent for the covid. I will bet they have bigger changes in design than sound though.
hey thanks for info - had no idea a X3 was on the way!

I hear conflicting things about the sound of X2HR, some say its balanced, a LOT of people the more I read say its V shaped sound! In a dream situation they might have sorted for the X3 maybe?

online it says X3 is released 31st August in UK, fingers crossed!
📝 Reply