The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp

CHROMA+ is a highly customizable stereo / dual mono tracking and mixing channel designed for modern hybrid studios that want more results in less space. CHROMA+ utilizes Louder Than Liftoff’s celebrated Twin Tone-Amp™ architecture and Tone Shaping EQ, derived from the very circuits used in the acclaimed Silver Bullet. Answering the call for flexibility and customization, CHROMA+ delivers with its twin topology (A or N) line processor and mic/instrument amp, and adds an exciting twist - an analog plugin slot in each channel accepting Colour Modules. This feature allows additional processing like tube saturation, compression, or additional EQ bands to be inserted into the signal path and mixed with CHROMA+’s classic 'A' or 'N' inspired MOJO Amps for the ultimate in front and back end versatility. There’s even a Mega Mono Mode for cascading the full arsenal of CHROMA+ into a 4-stage channel strip.

BUS PROCESSOR AND MIC/INSTRUMENT PREAMP IN ONE
CHROMA+ is designed for ultimate versatility with hybrid workflows in mind just like its big brother, the Silver Bullet. These days gear needs to deliver results on both the front end and the back end. Featuring LINE, DI, and MIC modes, CHROMA+ is both a line level processor for groups or mix bus, and a preamp for instrument and mic level sources.

FEATURES
• Mic or Mix/Line/Instrument mode
• Selectable ‘A’ and ‘N’ inspired MOJO Amps – same as in Silver Bullet
• 2x Colour-compatible analog plugin slots with Drive and Mix
• Auto-switching stereo DI inputs for Instruments with Retro mode
• Mega Mono channel mode (CH 1>2) feeds channel 1 output into channel 2 input
• Baxandall Tone Boost EQ with Vintage mode
• Custom American made transformers
• ROGUE FIVE discrete op amps designed by Louder Than Liftoff, conforming to standard 2520 footprint
• Signal present indicator and bi-directional meter
• Powered by new ultra-low noise Hypermatter PSU

APPLICATIONS
• Mix / 2-Bus mojo
• Mic preamp
• Stem / Bus processing
• Synth, guitar, or bass DI
• Tracking channel strip with compression, EQ, saturation depending on configuration

TWIN TONE-AMP™ ARCHITECTURE
At the heart of CHROMA are two Mojo Amps inspired by classic large format consoles – American (A), and British (N). These Mojo Amps lend their characteristic sonic footprints to any signal passing through the circuit. Like the Silver Bullet, CHROMA+ is the only processor of its kind that allows you to enable A or N sonics at the push of a button. Auditioning these two signature sounds during a session no longer requires re-patching or swapping preamps.

WORLD CLASS STEREO DI WITH RETRO MODE
A world class FET-input DI was developed for the front end of CHROMA+ offering superior definition, punch, and low-end girth for the capture of instrument level sources. It is capable of both stereo and dual mono operation and feeds the entire CHROMA signal path for full MOJO Amp coloration and Colour slot processing. A switchable RETRO Mode provides two distinct tonal personalities to the DI. An optional THRU mode can be set via an internal jumper.

MEGA MONO CHANNEL MODE (CH 1>2)
In addition to offering both stereo and dual mono operation, CHROMA+ is capable of becoming a Mega Mono channel to facilitate more creative processing chains. When the CH 1>2 switch is engaged, the output of channel 1 will feed into the input of channel 2 and put the power of two CHROMAs in series.

NEW HYPERMATTER POWER SUPPLY
This is the first product that features our brand-new PSU with Hypermatter technology. We spent the last year in research and development with one simple goal: to create a power delivery system with unparalleled noise, voltage regulation, and transient response performance. We are proud to introduce Hypermatter, a state-of-the-art power supply technology we believe to be truly fit for the demands of high-resolution audio . It renders dynamic sound with revealing detail, dimension, and gut-punching authority. The Hypermatter PSU architecture uses a 4-layer PCB, cutting edge LDO regulators, and nothing but the best components to bring CHROMA+ to life in ways that must be heard.

FOUR CONFIGURATIONS: STANDARD, TUBE, COMP, EQ
CHROMA+ is available in four versatile configurations to suit various workflows:

Tube: pre-loaded with 2x Pentode Mk2 Colour modules for tube mojo and 2-band Baxandall boost/cut
Comp: pre-loaded with 2x Implode Colour modules for classic 1176-style FET compression
EQ: pre-loaded with 2x FET Filter Colour modules for midrange cut and FET saturation
Standard: un-loaded Colour slots allowing for a la carte customization

CUSTOMIZE CHROMA+ WITH ANALOG PLUGINS
CHROMA+ allows you to expand its sonic versatility further and to create a custom channel strip by installing your choice of analog plugins called Colour modules. Just insert your favorite Colour Module into the slot (one per channel), adjust the drive (C-DRV), and blend (C-MIX) the processing with the dry signal to taste.

AVAILABILITY
The initial run of CHROMA+ will begin shipping in late January 2020. A pre-order discount is available to those that purchase CHROMA+ before December 31, 2019. Prices will revert to RRP on January 1, 2020.

INTRODUCTORY PRE-ORDER PRICING
CHROMA+ Standard: $1399 – (RRP $1549)
CHROMA+ Tube, Comp & EQ: $1499 – (RRP $1649)

Visit the CHROMA+ product page for further info, documentation & downloads https://store.louderthanliftoff.com/products/chromaplus
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp-chroma-_front_v3-1024x768-gs.jpg   AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp-chroma-_back-1024x768-gs.jpg  

Last edited by BradM; 17th October 2019 at 12:58 AM..
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Very cool product! A serious contender to the Silver Bullet!
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Head

Really blown away by the feature set and an incredible offer. Brad this looks fantastic, nice work!
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey Brad, is this improved power supply something that could be retroactively beneficial to the Silver Bullet too? Or is it custom built to only work with Chroma+? I'm wondering if a "Hypermatter" Silver Bullet power supply would have any benefit.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Was just about to buy a Chroma too. How is the Chroma+ different than just 2 regular Chromas? Or is it basically the same thing?
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbinoctuplets View Post
Was just about to buy a Chroma too. How is the Chroma+ different than just 2 regular Chromas? Or is it basically the same thing?
From what I can see the main difference is the two DI inputs. These are not available on the regular Chromas (unless I am mistaken).
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
this was my first thought too...
there's the DI.. but if you have 500series then two regular chromas seems a better deal - what am I missing here?
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

The bonus over the regular chroma modules is the DI choices, the one touch cascading, and the new power supply, which actually to me is the biggest deal. Power matters.

Speaking of the importance of power, I’d like to see that “Hypermatter” in a 500 series rack. Can a 500 rack be far behind? If it has two sets of inputs and outputs, put me down for two...

Ok, I’ll stop stirring up trouble. After I surmise about a chop shop v2 with mixable low rider...

Sorry Brad! But- if you did put me down for 2
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Head

looks great Brad.ordered. just what i was waiting for.
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear
Amazing Unit here!Congrats!
I think Hypermatter should find a way in the SB!
BTW: Is there SB Void Corp next time! If yes I would buy it for sure

Best Marcus
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hi all,

Thank you for alll the kind words of support. Louder Than Liftoff is a labor of love for me so it feels good to see Chroma+ getting such a warm reception. I've been working hard on the Hypermatter PSU and the DI circuits for a while and am really excited to be able to share them with everyone finally. I think the DI is going to surprise some folks when they compare it to their usual favorites, both solid state and tube. I know it can seem like some brands add simple DI's to their gear to tick a box on the marketing checklist. This is not one of those DI's.

I'm going to try and answer the various questions folks have asked. I appreciate the interest so please keep your questions coming. I'll try to check in on the thread as often as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
Hey Brad, is this improved power supply something that could be retroactively beneficial to the Silver Bullet too? Or is it custom built to only work with Chroma+? I'm wondering if a "Hypermatter" Silver Bullet power supply would have any benefit.
In a way, this Hypermatter PSU is an evolution of what I originally set out to do with the Silver Bullet's supply. The components and architecture may be different, but the end goal was the same back in 2014 - to create a supply that had amazing technical performance and was also musical and complementary to the sound of the Mojo Amps. There were a few iterations of that design leading up to production of the SB. To directly answer your question, this new supply cannot be retrofitted into a Silver Bullet and is only available inside of Chroma+. Any new rackmount designs we do in the future will certainly use it, however. The sound of any piece of gear is always a function of its power supply and I'm proud of the way that the SB's supply sounds with those circuits. That said, I continually challenge myself to learn and grow as a designer. That's half the fun!

Quote:
The obvious differences are:

1) I've designed and optimized a power supply specifically for Chroma+. The sonic experience is now exactly what I want the user to hear. In other words a mediocre power supply is not going to restrain these Mojo Amps.
2) There is a stereo DI with Retro Mode. This DI is worthy of being a standalone product IMHO.
3) Mega Mono mode - pushbutton to cascade channel 1 into channel 2 with no re-patching required.
4) The cost of 2 Chroma 500 series modules plus a 2-slot rack plus a comparable stereo DI will be at least $2000. So there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw View Post
looks great Brad.ordered. just what i was waiting for.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
The bonus over the regular chroma modules is the DI choices, the one touch cascading, and the new power supply, which actually to me is the biggest deal. Power matters.

Speaking of the importance of power, I’d like to see that “Hypermatter” in a 500 series rack. Can a 500 rack be far behind? If it has two sets of inputs and outputs, put me down for two...
Hi! Power definitely matters. It's not a commodity. It's the lifeblood of audio. Right now I'm going to focus on getting Chroma+ finished and shipped. There's always fun things in the works at Rogue Planet Command...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusK View Post
Amazing Unit here!Congrats!
I think Hypermatter should find a way in the SB!
BTW: Is there SB Void Corp next time! If yes I would buy it for sure
Thanks, Marcus! Void Corp SB's are currently unavailable. You can enter your email on the product page to be notified if there are ever more available.

thanks,
Brad
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Thank you for alll the kind words of support. Louder Than Liftoff is a labor of love for me so it feels good to see Chroma+ getting such a warm reception.
I will probably be purchasing the "Comp" version of this, the feature set is great!

The only additional thing I wish it had was separate inputs for mic and line, so the "Mic" buttons could be used to switch between tracking and mixing instead of recabling. Would that be a possibility in the near future, maybe a Chroma++?
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
The only additional thing I wish it had was separate inputs for mic and line, so the "Mic" buttons could be used to switch between tracking and mixing instead of recabling. Would that be a possibility in the near future, maybe a Chroma++?
I have to say that is a major bummer to me and does not serve my workflow at all. Unless I could use the DIs for line signals?
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Congratulations on another awesome product. Love the features, form factor and the intro price but I’m gonna be that guy and ask if there is any Void Corp sweetener on this one - those emails sometimes come a little after launch so I didn’t know if I should wait
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I will probably be purchasing the "Comp" version of this, the feature set is great!

Quote:
I have to say that is a major bummer to me and does not serve my workflow at all. Unless I could use the DIs for line signals?

That's the Silver Bullet guys!!

Seriously though, it's impossible to fit EVERYthing in a product priced like this. Chroma+ has things that the SB doesn't even have - the blendable Colour slot for one. Dual Mono mode. Etc.. It is what it is, and I'm SOOO excited for these to get out into the wild. I think you guys are gonna love it!
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I’m gonna be that guy and ask if there is any Void Corp sweetener on this one - those emails sometimes come a little after launch so I didn’t know if I should wait
I’m not sure you’d get much different besides color with a Void Corp addition? For example, at one time the SB Void Corp had different features, but no longer does. As far as I can see, all Void Corp products are currently are products with a black faceplate. If that’s worth waiting for, I dig, but based on the current lineup, that’s the only dif. Hey, it’s cool. I personally dig the brushed steel look of the “regular” editions. I can read them better in low light conditions...
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yes, I had a Silver Bullet. I actually prefer the Chroma+ feature set for my little setup. I'm just asking for two extra jacks, the switches are already there.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Seriously though, it's impossible to fit EVERYthing in a product priced like this. Chroma+ has things that the SB doesn't even have - the blendable Colour slot for one. Dual Mono mode. Etc.. It is what it is, and I'm SOOO excited for these to get out into the wild. I think you guys are gonna love it!
True- but not really. This is one rack space. This has the swapable color cards. And DI. I’m sorry, but I think a product that has line level applications and mic applications needs two different inputs. And outputs, frankly. I am a huge LTL fan. It just is a miss for me, and makes it a real drag for someone who uses an xlr patchbay for mics to plug in to. Every time I’d have to go behind my rack and swap cables. Bummer.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, I had a Silver Bullet. I actually prefer the Chroma+ feature set for my little setup. I'm just asking for two extra jacks, the switches are already there.
If the feature set is perfect aside from that, there are workarounds. I dig what your'e saying, because I work that way too. If I were you I'd get or build a simple 2 channel XLR switcher for the input and leave the mic/line cables hooked up to that.

Some of my fav boxes are exactly like this. The Locomotive 286a comes to mind....
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
True- but not really. This is one rack space. This has the swapable color cards. And DI. I’m sorry, but I think a product that has line level applications and mic applications needs two different inputs. And outputs, frankly. I am a huge LTL fan. It just is a miss for me, and makes it a real drag for someone who uses an xlr patchbay for mics to plug in to. Every time I’d have to go behind my rack and swap cables. Bummer.
When I said "fit" I meant at the price point. What you request is not unreasonable, but we wanted to make it as accessible and as reasonably priced as possible. There are always compromises in the feature set when you won't compromise on the sonics. Sorry we missed your sweet spot! you might consider what I suggested in the previous post to Les.
Old 19th October 2019
Noa
Gear Addict

Yeah Brad! This one is fantastic.

Old 19th October 2019
Here for the gear
Wow, I was just going to order two Chromas but this seems to be better with the improved power supply. The question that remains for me is whether it is easy to change the colour cards and adjust the jumpers while mixing or tracking. I wouldn't mind taking it out of the rack and having it sitting open on the table while it's in use. Since I will be playing with the colour cars quite a lot I would like to know whether this would be easier, harder or similar to the 500 series model.

Thanks!
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majnu View Post
Wow, I was just going to order two Chromas but this seems to be better with the improved power supply. The question that remains for me is whether it is easy to change the colour cards and adjust the jumpers while mixing or tracking. I wouldn't mind taking it out of the rack and having it sitting open on the table while it's in use. Since I will be playing with the colour cars quite a lot I would like to know whether this would be easier, harder or similar to the 500 series model.

Thanks!
yes , with some colour cards with on-card adjustments this unit might well spend a fair bit of time 'topless' - seems easier than futzing about with 500 units on extender cables or whatnot...
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

How does one control for example the bax eq option? Via c-drive knob? Does this boost the low and high shelve simultanious?
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some of my fav boxes are exactly like this. The Locomotive 286a comes to mind....
Dr Bill, look, no offense here, but that doesn’t stop it from being a questionable design choice. For a device that is to be used in tracking mics and mixing, its just confounding. I’ll leave it alone now. You guys are the best; it’s just surprising apparently to me and at least one other person. I can’t imagine adding two jacks that are 1/4’ would have hit the bottom line in a debilitating (pun a little intended) way and it is consistent with the extreme thoughtfulness that y’all put into your gear. Soapbox put away. I wouldn’t care if I didn’t want to buy this and am struggling with this issue.

Rock on.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear
1. Is the power supply's voltage switchable or auto? 120v and 230v

2. Are there any jumpers for bypassing the 48v? (Accidentally frying the da converter)
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m not sure you’d get much different besides color with a Void Corp addition? For example, at one time the SB Void Corp had different features, but no longer does. As far as I can see, all Void Corp products are currently are products with a black faceplate. If that’s worth waiting for, I dig, but based on the current lineup, that’s the only dif. Hey, it’s cool. I personally dig the brushed steel look of the “regular” editions. I can read them better in low light conditions...
Sorry I was talking about the fact that Void Corp members (owners of previous VC editions) are sometimes offered further discounts or sweeteners for having purchased the more expensive VC version (free/discounted colour module on Mr. Focus for example) the intro price on this is great and I certainly would never demand anything - just asking for clarification
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

This is AMAZING. As soon as I get my pennies saved up, I'm totally jumping on the COMP version for drum buss. My SB has been absolutely indispensable, and I cannot imagine how useful that same vibe will be over my drum buss.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have a patchbay, what's the issue and why do you have to go behind your rack? To switch from mic to line just unpatch the mics and patch in the outputs from your interface. You would just need TT-XLR cables or TRS-XLR cables depending on your patchbay. I have some devices that take mic or line in the same jack and this is what I do.
📝 Reply