The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
At the risk of oversimplifying what's happening behind the scenes....here's what I wrote on the website:

A switchable RETRO Mode provides two distinct tonal personalities to the DI. In the out position the sound is modern – detailed in the mids and highs, and extended through the lower octaves. When engaged the tone becomes more rounded and vintage, with a tighter bottom end and mellower high end.

There are both impedance/loading and frequency response things going on. It's very instrument dependant. On some instruments the effect is more pronounced than others.

@ Disco1Disco2 - The low end will tighten up when Retro is engaged, but it's not as steep as the 23 Hz setting on Super Filter, nor does it have a resonance at the corner frequency. And like I said above, it's very instrument dependent, so you may hear more tightening happening on a bass guitar with passive pickups than you would on a synthesizer.

Brad
I have an impedance switch on my 73jr, so I'm guessing it's a similar effect. It's moot for me now anyway since I ordered a Silver Bullet .
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
I have an impedance switch on my 73jr, so I'm guessing it's a similar effect. It's moot for me now anyway since I ordered a Silver Bullet .
I believe that is completely different. The Lo-Z switch on the 73JR swtiches between 1200 and 300 ohms for what I assume is the mic input only. The
Retro switch on Chroma+ affects the DI inputs only.

Can't go wrong with a Silver Bullet.

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
I believe that is completely different. The Lo-Z switch on the 73JR swtiches between 1200 and 300 ohms for what I assume is the mic input only. The
Retro switch on Chroma+ affects the DI inputs only.

Can't go wrong with a Silver Bullet.

Brad
The 73jr impedance button does also affect the DI, and creates a significant difference. Still curious to the hear the Chroma+, but I need to chill with the shopping spree!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quick aesthetics question, is the Chroma + the same color as the SB?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Quick aesthetics question, is the Chroma + the same color as the SB?
Yes. Silver front. Black, Grey and Rubine Red graphics. Very similar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
The 73jr impedance button does also affect the DI, and creates a significant difference. Still curious to the hear the Chroma+, but I need to chill with the shopping spree!
Interesting.

Yes, you should hear a Chroma+ at some point. I think you'll dig it. In the meantime stop spending money.

Production update: I finished building and testing the first unit from the run. So pre-orders should start shipping next week. I think I should be able to get all the outstanding pre-orders shipped by 2/3 or 2/4 at the very latest. Thanks for everyone's patience.

cheers,

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for these updates Brad. Sounds like an exciting product.

I understand the new power supply sounds better. Any chance you could share a comparison between this new Chroma+ , and 2 Chroma 500's? Using same settings.

That way, I could hear the difference for myself, and better decide which one to buy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladelaw View Post
Thanks for these updates Brad. Sounds like an exciting product.

I understand the new power supply sounds better. Any chance you could share a comparison between this new Chroma+ , and 2 Chroma 500's? Using same settings.

That way, I could hear the difference for myself, and better decide which one to buy.
Hi,

You're welcome. Respectfully, I probably won't be making and posting such sound clips anytime soon, mainly due to being so swamped with other priorities. I encourage users to do those A/B tests in their own studios, if they feel so inclined. I feel Chroma+ represents the way I personally want people to experience my gear. It's an end to end system where I control all variables including the contribution of the power supply. You get a lot of value with Chroma+ because of the stereo DI and Mega Mono mode. If you buy two Chroma 500 series modules and put them in a 2-slot rack you won't get those features, plus it will likely cost you more money.

cheers,
Brad

Last edited by BradM; 3 weeks ago at 10:50 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Did I miss something? To the best of my knowledge, it's Chroma+ not Chroma++. Just a FYI before confusion sets in for some of us.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Did I miss something? To the best of my knowledge, it's Chroma+ not Chroma++. Just a FYI before confusion sets in for some of us.....
haha this plagued me on GS for a while... I was looking for gear that simply didn't exist. For some reason, due to GS keyword scanning when ever its sees a "+" it adds another "+" after it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
haha this plagued me on GS for a while... I was looking for gear that simply didn't exist. For some reason, due to GS keyword scanning when ever its sees a "+" it adds another "+" after it...
Oh my gosh!!! You're right. I just looked back at my post. Now it's Chroma+++. ROTFLMAO!!! ++++
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh my gosh!!! You're right. I just looked back at my post. Now it's Chroma++
Chroma++--

balanced
Old 3 weeks ago
So for anyone else who ordered a Chroma Plus already, what color modules do you plan on sticking in there? I thought I was set on the Mass Drivr, but the reviews of the Super Filter on the website are very intriguing. It sounds like the Mass Drivr might be a bit more subtle, while the Super Filter is capable of more noticeable saturation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Shipping update

I'm proud to report that the first batch of pre-orders shipped out this afternoon....ahead of schedule. More will be shipping tomorrow. The droids calculate that all pre-orders will be shipped by the end of the week.

I look forward to everyone receiving their units and sharing their initial thoughts and impressions. Can't wait for you all to hear the new DI.

cheers,
Brad
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I've received my unit s/n 0004 and spent 4 or 5 hours with it . .

I cant fault it . . blown away with the sound and tones .. a whole new level .

This unit delivers in so many ways . .

The pres are BIG and clear, the DIs same.

You can drive A, N and the colour (tube in mine) in many ways, it even breaks up beautifully . . you get drive & distortion too .

The EQs are lovely, the HF will be on 24/7

I tried at the end of my chain and on a bus.. I quite fancy another

Thank you very much Brad . .

. . a very happy customer in the UK..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
I've received my unit s/n 0004 and spent 4 or 5 hours with it . .

I cant fault it . . blown away with the sound and tones .. a whole new level .

This unit delivers in so many ways . .

The pres are BIG and clear, the DIs same.

You can drive A, N and the colour (tube in mine) in many ways, it even breaks up beautifully . . you get drive & distortion too .

The EQs are lovely, the HF will be on 24/7

I tried at the end of my chain and on a bus.. I quite fancy another

Thank you very much Brad . .

. . a very happy customer in the UK..
NICE! That was quick to the UK!!!! . DHL?

Yeah, your thoughts are pretty much mine too. Glad you're enjoying it. Make some beautiful music!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
NICE! That was quick to the UK!!!! . DHL?

Yeah, your thoughts are pretty much mine too. Glad you're enjoying it. Make some beautiful music!
DHL must have taken a leaf out of the Amazon book. . speedy delivery and some.

You know in the audio world how once a decade or so something groundbreaking comes along ..

Well. .annoyingly I've already gotten into my head I want a second unit ! (ebay day coming up) so question is.. . what is the next best 'colour' I should consider with the Chroma+ ?

No beating about the bush allowed. ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

got mine here in UK on Friday. Tried it out yesterday. Great sound with tube colour module. Very happy. A short reference guide would be useful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
what is the next best 'colour' I should consider with the Chroma+ ?

No beating about the bush allowed. ..
man....that is so difficult, and for me, it changes depending on the project I'm working on.

Right now, Implode is rocking it for me. Prior to that, the Smash compressor was "it" - smashing the crap out of kicks / stomps / claps on an Americana project.

MassDrivr is a no brainer. And really, there's not a looser in the LTL bunch. That's the reason there are others copying (or maybe I should say "trying" to copy) what LTL does. I like Pentode too, but it's probably not at the top of my list every day. But MUST HAVES for me :

implode
smash
massdrivr
royal blue
pentode

But man, I've really been using the RTAir into Implode a lot lately for an amazingly controlled and sweet tambourine sound.... And the Super Filter has been climbing the ranks quickly.

I know I'm probably not helping your conundrum. But it's the reason I have 12 Mr.Focus's loaded with 24 LTL Colour modules. I think I might need 12 more at this rate. Please Brad - stop designing these gems!!!!!

And that's not counting all my Chroma's which are of course loaded with LTL Colour modules too...... Gear Slut. No doubt. Admitted. LOL
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw View Post
got mine here in UK on Friday. Tried it out yesterday. Great sound with tube colour module. Very happy. A short reference guide would be useful.

My apologies for not having created a dedicated guide yet. However, most of it is already covered by the Chroma 500 series user guide:

https://store.louderthanliftoff.com/pages/chroma-manual

The only missing information would be in relation to the DI. There are two DI jacks. When you insert a 1/4" unbalanced cable into the jacks the input automatically switches via relay from the rear panel XLR to the front panel 1/4" connector.

Pushing the Retro switch will change the overall tonality and vibe of both DI inputs. With most passive guitar and bass pickups you will notice the tone becoming rounder, tighter, and less extended in the top end. With low output impedance synths and keyboards the effect may be less extreme in the top end, but you will still notice a tightness in the low end.

Engaging the CH 1>2 switch enables Mega Mono Mode. This connects the output of channel 1 with the input of channel 2 via relay so that you can have double the processing on a mono channel. So signal coming into channel 1 input will travel through channel 1, then channel 2, then come out channel 2's output. You can tap the channel 1's output when in this mode by simply connecting to channel 1 output as well. If you insert a cable into the DI 1 jack then the instrument signal will process through the Mega Mono Mode chain and exit output 2. However, if you plug a cable into the DI 2 jack then this will interrupt Mega Mono Mode for DI 1, and that DI 2 source will only process through channel 2. So when using Mega Mono Mode (CH 1>2) leave DI 2 unplugged.

Have fun!
Brad
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Question. Can you have a 1/4” jack permanently plugged in but still flip between it and a connected mic on the same channel using the ‘mic’ button? Or do you have to unplug the jack? I quite like a Guitar always ready to go
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by utters View Post
Question. Can you have a 1/4” jack permanently plugged in but still flip between it and a connected mic on the same channel using the ‘mic’ button? Or do you have to unplug the jack? I quite like a Guitar always ready to go
Great question. By default, anytime you plug in a jack it will switch the input from XLR to DI. However, there are two jumpers on the DI PCB one can set to make the "CH 1>2" button function as a XLR/DI toggle. If the two jumpers are set this way then when the pushbutton is out the DI is active. When the pushbutton is engaged the XLR is active. Setting this up will of course defeat the use of Mega Mono Mode.

cheers,
Brad
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search