Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Looks like the price is up to $900 now.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
Well that’s disappointing, I was awaiting some reviews to consider...
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
What??? Disappointing
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

If these things are anywhere near the sound quality of pres like the Coil, even at $900 they will be well worth it. I took a chance and preordered a pair last fall and they shipped a couple days ago. Looking forward to trying them.
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
If these things are anywhere near the sound quality of pres like the Coil, even at $900 they will be well worth it. I took a chance and preordered a pair last fall and they shipped a couple days ago. Looking forward to trying them.
Please report back! I'm still curious about these. My only gripe is the lack of a line pad or di input, but given the size and how packed it is in there, I'll live.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear
FWIW - I got a pair when they first came out. They sound very good but I also found that the sides of the 500PRE unit (my 500 rack was empty for two slots next to them) was very warm - hot even. I wrote Retro and they assured me all is fine and they ran 8 in a rack with no issues. Regardless - with no way to turn them off (they are on if the rack is on) - I decided to send them back.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

any more hands on reviews of this thing??
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice review. How does one run line level sources through this? Is the pad enough, or do you need an additional attenuator, like the Avedis adapter thing?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
looking at the 500pre more carefully, how would an owner replace a tube?

Is there enough room to remove tubes and replace them without removing parts?
It looks tight - you might have to remove the transformers or maybe the tube assembly.

Maybe Retro could provide more details.
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: RETRO Instruments 500Pre-retro500pre.png  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbontubedude View Post
It looks tight - you might have to remove the transformers or maybe the tube assembly.

Maybe Retro could provide more details.
That's what I'm saying. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance for one to get those tubes out. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I hope Retro shed some light
Old 1 week ago
While I love the idea of 8 or 10 of these in a 3U 500 series rack I just can’t imagine that tube holder board is not going to get fried if its left on 12 hours a day.

Maybe there is half voltage or something?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
That's what I'm saying. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance for one to get those tubes out. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I hope Retro shed some light
I emailed them. They said there is room to get them out.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Any feedback yet?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
Any feedback yet?
They are racked up and ready to go. Waiting for a moment to really give them an in depth try. It’s been a couple really busy weeks writing and mixing so haven’t had time to put them through their paces. Tested them both with a quick mic check and they sounded great. Built like a tank and the input and output gain along with the high and low gain settings provide for a good range of results.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search