The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Solid State Logic Preview ORIGIN – Next Generation Analogue Studio Console
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Looks like a great desk. Still rocking the 4000G here, if I didnt have it I might consider buying the Origin. I hope the quality is on par with the older desks.

VU meters would have been very nice on this on.

Good job SSL in closing the gap.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Wot no TR

Old heads will get it...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

They have a ways to go with this before i could ever consider buying this. If you are using this as a summer for your DAW session, which is what i believe home theater /small studios are interested in, then this falls short.

1. Lots of folks want to get outside of the software compressors/eqs and into hardware, to get that sound that can only be achieve by hardware. I thought this was the main point of this mixing desk. No compression on the individual channel strip is a joke. Why build a desk with only pre-amp and eq? They should have at least left the option open for folks to add compression later. I originally got really excited until I found out about this. Plugin compressors don't even compare in terms of sound quality and character that the hardware brings. The SSL compressor is a part of the legendary SSL sound(Not just the eq) and not having it in the chain or option to expand later is ridiculous at this price point in my opinion. I would not invest without atleast the option to expand this

If i wanted to expand and add hardware compression then i would need outboard gear to do so. That goes against the concept of having it all nice and neatly compacted into a desk, which is a major selling point of this console. So i'm not really getting who this desk is for???

2. No recall is absolutely a show stopper for me. What people are looking for today is the full analog sound but with easy workflow/DAW integration that old consoles didn't offer. This product is lacking on both the analog and digital workflow side and its weird in my opinion as its only half an analog console(Missing compressors) and don't offer much in terms of automation, recall, DAW integration for improved workflow.

So my big question is who is this desk really for as i cant find a fit for any type of scenario????
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbimark View Post
They have a ways to go with this before i could ever consider buying this. If you are using this as a summer for your DAW session, which is what i believe home theater /small studios are interested in, then this falls short.

1. Lots of folks want to get outside of the software compressors/eqs and into hardware, to get that sound that can only be achieve by hardware. I thought this was the main point of this mixing desk. No compression on the individual channel strip is a joke. Why build a desk with only pre-amp and eq? They should have at least left the option open for folks to add compression later. I originally got really excited until I found out about this. Plugin compressors don't even compare in terms of sound quality and character that the hardware brings. The SSL compressor is a part of the legendary SSL sound(Not just the eq) and not having it in the chain or option to expand later is ridiculous at this price point in my opinion. I would not invest without atleast the option to expand this

If i wanted to expand and add hardware compression then i would need outboard gear to do so. That goes against the concept of having it all nice and neatly compacted into a desk, which is a major selling point of this console. So i'm not really getting who this desk is for???

2. No recall is absolutely a show stopper for me. What people are looking for today is the full analog sound but with easy workflow/DAW integration that old consoles didn't offer. This product is lacking on both the analog and digital workflow side and its weird in my opinion as its only half an analog console(Missing compressors) and don't offer much in terms of automation, recall, DAW integration for improved workflow.

So my big question is who is this desk really for as i cant find a fit for any type of scenario????
SSL bills it as a tracking console, which it’s certainly capable of doing. For automated faders just add a Sigma, or two if you need more. For recalls these days, most people just print the individual channels back to DAW.

A very well known producer/engineer I know has an SSL 4000. He doesn’t bother with the SSL’s automation or recall. He uses Sigma for automating faders.

The ability to upgrade with comps would nice but would make the desk deeper, making comb filtering more of an issue.

The only fault I could find with Origin is a lack of DAW control. I’d be surprised if they didn’t come up with center section DAW controller at some point. I saw the desk at NAMM and drooled.

Last edited by raal; 2 weeks ago at 05:41 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
SSL bills it as a tracking console, which it’s certainly capable of doing. For automated faders just add a Sigma, or two if you need more. For recalls these days, most people just print the individual channels back to DAW.

A very well known producer/engineer I know has an SSL 4000. He doesn’t bother with the SSL’s automation or recall. He uses Sigma for automating faders.

The ability to upgrade with comps would nice but would make the desk deeper, making comb filtering more of an issue.

The only fault I could find with Origin is lack of DAW control. I’d be surprised if they didn’t come up with something for the center section at some point. I saw the desk at AES and drooled.
Ok I got it. I thought I heard otherwise when watching some of the videos on youtube. I'm not at the point where i would spend $50,000 just for tracking. Also i can build a non-compact 32 channel tracking system with better pres, transformers, for under $20,000 including the mixer.

I think alot of people when they first see this mixer are thinking analog summing. I love the tight daw integration/workflow and full analog sound that the Neve Genesys black has to offer, however:

1. Its too pricey.
$50,000 ----> for only 8 channels analog summing/tracking
$90,000 ----> for 32 channels analog summing/8 channels tracking.

2. I much prefer the SSL sound for mixing.

I was hoping that SSL would do something similar to what Neve did with the genesys but at a slightly better price point.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gabbimark, if you like the features on the Neve genysys black but the SSL, this board would go from 50k to 100k most likely. After reading your two posts, the issue is you want all the extra bits but still for 50k. It is not going to happen, how do you think a company to keep going by making zero profit? You need to be realistic with your expectations. at 50K this console is amazing, also the neve genysys full loaded with what it can do is also amazing. Things are cheaper now than back in the day.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ariel, I don't agree with your statement. This is 2020. I believe SSL can manufacture, assemble and test a 32 channel board with compression for under 20K, not including engineering design and software/firmware design costs. Imagine SSL selling a similar product like the Neve genysis black for 50 - 60k. The demand for these would sky rocket, and they would probably make alot more money than producing solutions that are outside the budget of most studios that want that classic SSL sound integrated into their current daw workflow.

My main issue is that there are outboard gear options for tracking with better quality and for a much cheaper price than this solution. Now if this were a proper analogue summing device with good daw integration, then it would make more sense for me.

I really love what SSL did with their Duality models however, this is way out of reach for my small studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Gabbimark, if you like the features on the Neve genysys black but the SSL, this board would go from 50k to 100k most likely. After reading your two posts, the issue is you want all the extra bits but still for 50k. It is not going to happen, how do you think a company to keep going by making zero profit? You need to be realistic with your expectations. at 50K this console is amazing, also the neve genysys full loaded with what it can do is also amazing. Things are cheaper now than back in the day.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gabbimark, all I can say is that your most likely ignorant of what price point a company needs to sell something in order to keep going to pay for it's facility, designers, office staff etc. This is not consumer audio, this is a niche market.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Fadi Hayek said that they're a much bigger company now which enables them to do something like the Origin. They're only getting bigger especially now that they're doing more prosumer stuff like the SiX. That factory in China is going to get bigger so who knows what the future will bring.

I don't give a flying f*ck if it's made in China as long as quality control is up to snuff. What makes Chinese hands different than British?

It's the snobby aspect that gets in the way of things.

So fingers corssed for that 32 channel full blown modern SSL 4000E with automation at 25K/30K and in a bit smaller scale for the project studio? VU meters baby, no skimping on that!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

hands? lol, it's a highly automated process...

...and with that, chances that the knowhow gets illegally 'transferred' are rather high: your dreams regarding prices/features, i'm sure you can get a chinese rip-off for a quarter of the price! if ssl however would do what you suggest, they 'd never sell a single origin again...

oh, and there is a difference in that the few hands still needed in the sweatshop make vastly less money. and that the gear needs to be sent around the globe. and that with every yuan spent, you're helping an autocratic regime etc. and the rest go to a tax havan - sorry, the was the sweatshop around the corner of german ownership...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
If ssl however would do what you suggest, they 'd never sell a single origin again...
So I guess they missed the boat?

Chinese made SSL 4000E series consoles with automation at 25k would sell like hotcakes and eventually would make them more money than being in the niche market. Lose the name like Origin or I don't know "old school" and keep the old name.

Then again they would lose the high end badge. Behringer versions of the classics...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i do think they missed the mark...

...but for other reasons: the lack of features which would suit my needs! but no, making it more cheap wouldn't do (nor would a copy of the old 4k's).

could be though that they could sell more desks if they'd offer small to medium desks with features which amek, dda, midas, studer, calrec, cadac, soundcraft, a&h, yamaha etc. already had 30 years ago... - hint: more auxes/buses/matrices/vca's, stereo channels, multiple/surround masters etc. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Armchair philosophy aside, no one here knows better that SSL how to market and price their product. The brand stands for something and either you respect that and pay for it, or figure some years in to have nasty surprises.......Global economy is a reality, get used to it. Good design and execution is what makes great sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Armchair philosophy aside, no one here knows better that SSL how to market and price their product. The brand stands for something and either you respect that and pay for it, or figure some years in to have nasty surprises.......Global economy is a reality, get used to it. Good design and execution is what makes great sound.
Are you saying that anyone who doesn’t have an SSL will have “nasty surprises”?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:

1. Lots of folks want to get outside of the software compressors/eqs and into hardware, to get that sound that can only be achieve by hardware. I thought this was the main point of this mixing desk. No compression on the individual channel strip is a joke. Why build a desk with only pre-amp and eq? They should have at least left the option open for folks to add compression later.
They do offer that https://www.solidstatelogic.com/stud...centre_section

And, there are of course also very flexible insert points on each channel.

Quote:
I originally got really excited until I found out about this. Plugin compressors don't even compare in terms of sound quality and character that the hardware brings. The SSL compressor is a part of the legendary SSL sound(Not just the eq) and not having it in the chain or option to expand later is ridiculous at this price point in my opinion. I would not invest without atleast the option to expand this
I think the prices of the X-Rack modules are pretty fair. Or do you know any SSL console with the features you want which are cheaper than an Origin would be if you add those features?

Quote:

I think of this is an even bigger and more flexible version of X-Desk and XL-Desk, which (depending on their configurations) are great for tracking, routing and monitoring. Then you can also use them for setting up a basic balance of a mix if you want, but do all the "tricky adjustments" ITB. It might not be for everyone, but since SSL already had similar (but smaller) products out for a long time, one could guess that they probably know that there are a lot of people who wants this.

There are also other companies who sell similar products, e.g. Trident and Audient, thus I suppose there is a market for it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search