The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47
Old 16th October 2019
News Desk Editor

AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47

United Studio Technologies is proud to announce upcoming availability of the UT FET47 — a faithful reproduction of a legendary classic studio workhorse representing the newly-founded pro audio company’s inaugural product as a ‘no-compromise’ microphone aimed at both professional and project-level recording, as well as the broadcast and voiceover market — as of October 16…

Hand-built in the USA, the UT FET47 symbolises several years of R&D, testing, and engineering, offering an unparalleled level of quality and craftsmanship to the end user at an asking price to die for. Featuring a large, custom-wound, ‘striped core’ (multi-alloy) output transformer designed by Cinemag to reproduce the exact harmonic signature of its original German counterpart, the microphone itself incorporates a Heiserman HZ-series ‘K47’ German-style capsule — a joint effort between Heiserman and United Studio Technologies. This unique design features dual-milled backplates that are matched and then physically joined to ensure extremely consistent performance between sides and between capsules. The capsule is made from precision-milled brass and skinned with gold-spluttered, six-micron NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) Japanese PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) film that meets or exceeds the purity standards of laboratory-grade Mylar(TM). The high-quality microphone body is produced from nickel-plated brass milled from a solid brass billet, complete with a durable swivel-arm for mounting.

Meanwhile, the circuitry involved is fully discrete, using only robust and over-spec’d components, including NOS military-spec polystyrene capacitors and tested, original NOS Fairchild FETs (Field-Effect Transistors). No electrolytic capacitors are used anywhere in the microphone, and an ‘all-dry’ topology ensures a lifetime of consistent use.

United Studio Technologies President Chad Kelly has this to say regarding the development process: “Our formula with this microphone and all of the products yet to come is a very holistic one, bordering on the obsessive. We put care into every single part that goes into it — down to the last thin film resistor or tantalum capacitor, and even the quality of the PCB [Printed Circuit Board] material itself, the positions of components, and the lengths of wires. Nothing is left to chance. We don’t just want to make a microphone that you’ll absolutely love, we want to make a microphone that you’ll still love 20 years from now and be glad you invested in. Everything we do at United Studio Technologies is engineering-driven; no less than five engineers — all experts in their field — have had some level of participation in developing this product. The result is a synergy that I think is palpable.”

Distributed worldwide by RAD Distribution (http://www.raddist.com/), the UT FET47 is expected to ship before the end of January 2020 with an MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) of $799.00 USD.

For more in-depth information, please visit the United Studio Technologies website here: https://www.unitedstudiotech.com
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47-unnamed-2.jpg  
Old 16th October 2019
Wow.. insanely good price
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Guru

Wow, insanely appealing in every way!
Old 16th October 2019
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Hadn’t seen Chad Kelly’s name for a while but seems like this is the beginning of a new venture - excited to see what may also be coming in the future. This mic is nearly a no-brainer if it’s as good as advertised...
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Guru

hmmm, is it just me, or is that demo vid somewhat hardcore on the s front?
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Is the VO through the United mic? If so, I agree.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Very interesting!

Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Looks sweet, and a friendly price.

I wonder what the main differences are between this and the Heiserman H47. Seems to be the same capsule and both use a Cinemag transformer.

I also wonder if Chad is going to still be operating his boutique Signal Arts line of mics.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post

I wonder what the main differences are between this and the Heiserman H47. Seems to be the same capsule and both use a Cinemag transformer.

I also wonder if Chad is going to still be operating his boutique Signal Arts line of mics.
Heiserman consulted on the capsule design for the UT Fet47, but it is not the same capsule as the Heiserman H47, nor is it made by Heiserman. I know that United/Chad are busy at AES, but I'm sure they'll add some clarity to this thread when they have a spare moment...
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
Is the VO through the United mic? If so, I agree.
The microphone used by the voiceover artist was actually a Sennheiser shotgun microphone, i don't know the model, because it was his preference and just what he was set up for.

-Chad
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post

Happy to clarify both of these points real quickly. The capsule we are using is what we are calling the HZ series capsule, named after the two capsule engineers who were involved in the project. It is not manufactured by Heiserman Audio, and not exactly like his capsule; but he helped us develop it. We're very happy with how it came out.

Yes, I intend to carry on Signal Art, though it will move toward only the premium mics soon, I'll stop doing the baseline editions. I like hand-making microphones directly for people; it's both therapeutic for me and keeps me sharp.

Chad
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
The microphone used by the voiceover artist was actually a Sennheiser shotgun microphone, i don't know the model, because it was his preference and just what he was set up for.

-Chad
Good deal, thanks for confirming, Chad
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Am i the only one to feel uncomfortable about this ?

This microphone is obviously a copy of a famous model that is still (again) in production and easily available. We all know chinese rip-offs, but this is coming from the U.S. Isn't this design stealing?

They even claim "The UT FET47 represents several years of R&D, blood, sweat, and tears". Really?
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Not debating your point in the slightest but, wouldn't that be the case with most microphones out there (circuit wise)? The reason this one might be making you more uncomfortable is probably because the headbasket, body and stand attachment are closer to the original than usual, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud Charlier View Post
Am i the only one to feel uncomfortable about this ?

This microphone is obviously a copy of a famous model that is still (again) in production and easily available. We all know chinese rip-offs, but this is coming from the U.S. Isn't this design stealing?

They even claim "The UT FET47 represents several years of R&D, blood, sweat, and tears". Really?
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

"closer"?... it looks like a simple copy (steal) to me

and we all know the attraction power of the design of a microphone (look), especially if it's a famous model...

I'm "ok-ish" when it comes to models that are not in production anymore, but here, i really feel uncomfortable....business ethics
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Sure, and i agree, but i was saying that, visuals aside, many microphones out there, from boutique to bigger companies, are internal copies of stuff that's also still being made today by the original brands. Seems to me as serious as copying the outside.

Quote:
"closer"?... it looks like a simple copy (steal) to me
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't this design stealing?
Any patents on it would have expired 30 years ago, so, no. The technical design is free for anyone to use however they see fit.
Old 17th October 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Sure, and i agree, but i was saying that, visuals aside, many microphones out there, from boutique to bigger companies, are internal copies of stuff that's also still being made today by the original brands. Seems to me as serious as copying the outside.
True, and case in point you'd be amazed to know how many mics from companies big to small are remakes of an older Schoeps circuit. They just don't say it.

I prefer to think of what we have as an homage because both ends (capsule and transformer) are new creations; and the body, while close, is slightly taller and has some other differences. Ultimately, the classic mic is a dominant design and one I've found to be really useful over the years, and is the kind of mic we wanted to do. Our mic kind of covers those bases and comes extremely close, sonically.

I first had the idea after doing a Nashville studio tour about 4 years ago, seeing how many of the vintage units were stll on hand, and on the stands ready for use. I realized what a workhorse it was and was suprised there had never been a more affordable reissue made. When the opportunity came to start a new company, it was clear that it should be the first product; and I wanted to be sure it was really done right.

Chad
United
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
I wanted to be sure it was really done right.

Chad
United

Hi Chad! Congrats on the new company and new mic! Bill
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This microphone is obviously a copy of a famous model that is still (again) in production and easily available. We all know chinese rip-offs, but this is coming from the U.S. Isn't this design stealing
UST is hardly the first modern manufacturer to offer a U47 FET clone. Bock, Wunder, Lawson, Horch, Advanced Audio, and even Warm Audio all have their own takes. As mentioned above, the patent is expired, and the components aren't identical to the official reissue. Doesn't seem unethical to me.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

I will happily be buying 2 of these.
Old 18th October 2019
Got to talk to the guys at the UST booth today. I'm REALLY excited to get the FET47 sound on a working musician's budget. This one is definitely on my list when it ships (January, I'm told).
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Head

Very excited

but lack of sound samples makes me frustrated. Any chance we can hear this mic on sources?
Old 18th October 2019
U47 Feti is my all time fav. for rock guitars and vocals.... all time. (U87 being 2nd)
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

This looks really really nice. And that price is perfect. A fet for the mortals among us. Good chance I'll be picking one of these up.
Old 19th October 2019
osk
Gear Head
UK distributor/shop? Looks really good...
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by osk View Post
UK distributor/shop? Looks really good...
Yes, will be available.
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

I am always happy to audition re-creation attempts of great, classic mics. While I have never come across one that rivals the original, I have discovered some very useful examples at an affordable price. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to give this a listen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search