AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47 - Page 7 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47
Old 12th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried fingers View Post
If you are doubting any of us - send me an e-mail and I will record my UT microphone with whatever unique symbolism you require to determine it is legitimate and not some deep fake! I am not currently recording due to the CCP pandemic but if critical, I could record something spoken here at my home using the mic and my voice which isn’t ideal at all. It would be totally amateur hour as my home is an untreated space and I don’t have an especially pleasant voice!

Cheers!
I'm not even sure how to respond to this as it's so off base.

Do you have a Neumann U47fet you can compare it to on some common applications (bass drum, acoustic guitar, piano) and share? If so, I think I'm not the only person who would be interested to hear this.

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadletteroffice View Post
The answer to that is a resounding, no. I too have been asking.
Hi Deadletter, the answer is actually a resounding yes, and one of our first customers did that comparison many weeks ago... and it compared VERY favorably. It was posted up on our facebook page and on instagram I believe.
but if you are just adamant on believing that no one has ever heard the mic or used the mic or compared the mic, I don't want to try to change your mind. LOL
Chad

"Your team has built a wicked mic. The UT FET47 sounds virtually identical to my old Neumann Fet. Have been moving it all around the kit and it's killer-sounding. I am VERY happy with the new UT mic!!!" -Ashwin, Canada

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
Hi Deadletter, the answer is actually a resounding yes, and one of our first customers did that comparison many weeks ago... and it compared VERY favorably. It was posted up on our facebook page and on instagram I believe.
but if you are just adamant on believing that no one has ever heard the mic or used the mic or compared the mic, I don't want to try to change your mind. LOL
Chad

"Your team has built a wicked mic. The UT FET47 sounds virtually identical to my old Neumann Fet. Have been moving it all around the kit and it's killer-sounding. I am VERY happy with the new UT mic!!!" -Ashwin, Canada

With all due respect, it's just a picture. Can we HEAR it compared? Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadletteroffice View Post
With all due respect, it's just a picture. Can we HEAR it compared? Thanks.
yes, coming soon... I'm just not able to send out more review units to people when we are still trying to catch up to distributors/dealers/individuals who have paid real money to get them. The demand has been really strong. When we get to a point where we can keep units on the shelf, we may try to send out more for that type of thing. Right now, we have to take care of distributors who have been patiently waiting to get units. thanks.

Chad
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Congrats on the nomination Chad!

So far I've used it on bass drum, trumpet and trombone. Just a great sound.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
Congrats on the nomination Chad!

So far I've used it on bass drum, trumpet and trombone. Just a great sound.
thank you so much!
Chad
Old 26th September 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey All.

I don't own a vintage Fet47 myself, but I can't post audio from the sessions where we compared it to the United. To help demonstrate what this thing can do, I recorded a quick snippet on a modern bass amp to showcase the beautiful spectrum this mic covers. The bass is a Sadowsky 70's style jazz bass (passive mode) straight into a Mesa Boogie D800+ and 1x15 cab with tweeter. I placed the mic on axis, halfway between the woofer and tweeter to get the full frequency span in the recording. Simple bass line with held notes so you can hear how it deals with attack and decay.

I LOVE this microphone.

Attached Files

SAD_MESA_FET47.m4a (454.6 KB, 1248 views)

Last edited by dwaynedelario; 26th September 2020 at 05:54 AM..
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Hey All.

I don't own a vintage Fet47 myself, but I can't post audio from the sessions where we compared it to the United. To help demonstrate what this thing can do, I recorded a quick snippet on a modern bass amp to showcase the beautiful spectrum this mic covers. The bass is a Sadowsky 70's style jazz bass (passive mode) straight into a Mesa Boogie D800+ and 1x15 cab with tweeter. I placed the mic on axis, halfway between the woofer and tweeter to get the full frequency span in the recording. Simple bass line with held notes so you can hear how it deals with attack and decay.

I LOVE this microphone.

sounds lovely!! thanks!
Chad
Old 6th October 2020
Gear Nut
Found this vocal example, starts at 6:26.

Other than the sibilance it sounds really good, love that low mid weight. The sibilance could very well be exaggerated with the overall boost that is applied, so it's not the best example but a vocal example nonetheless.

Damn, I'm really interested in this mic.

EDIT: at 11:04 you can hear it raw.
My bad, haven't even watched the whole vid

I like the first example the most, sounds very smooth.
I didn't like the female vocal example, at least for this particular singer, it sounds too stuffy for her voice although it's smooth as butter in the mids.
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

Generically, if someone sounds sibilant on a 47 FET style mic, they're really REALLY sibilant. (and/or there was a separate vocal capture issue-too close/etc.)

Along with a Shure SM7 (but you'll get less detail ) and/or something like a 44 ribbon... AFAIK the 47 FET style , is one of the "first pulls", for bright toned singers like myself. I agree with Bruce Swedien, that it also helps "thicken" up a voice too.

I'll try to remember to properly listen to this tonight, after work.
Chris
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Generically, if someone sounds sibilant on a 47 FET style mic, they're really REALLY sibilant. (and/or there was a separate vocal capture issue-too close/etc.)
Yup, could be the case. I just sold my TLM 103 and was looking for and LDC around a $1000 mark to replace it and this just might be it.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
I LOVE this microphone.

You are the lucky one. We, the rest of the world, didn't get any. Placed an order and been waiting on it since it was announced 9 months ago...
Last time we had to wait half that much was a couple of years back with the Barefoot FP01
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
You are the lucky one. We, the rest of the world, didn't get any. Placed an order and been waiting on it since it was announced 9 months ago...
Last time we had to wait half that much was a couple of years back with the Barefoot FP01
FWIW, I did not have luck with pre-order and my dealer. I stalked Alto music until one showed up and bought it instantly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I listened to the hi-res sound samples at https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...audio-examples
on Focal Twins and Audeze LCD-3 headphones.

I was impressed by the kick samples but not so impressed by the others. The low end is very close; however, the United Audio seemed much darker and lacked that upper midrange magic of the FET47 (the whole reason I love the FET47). The difference is not subtle to me in these samples. It sounds like the United Audio has a towel over it. Just my opinion.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO must have been how they recorded.
Sounded great on my voice-in person!
Chris
📝 Reply