The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader
Old 15th October 2019
News Desk Editor

Hardware AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader

Softube launches Console 1 Fader

Building on the success of Console 1 was never going to be easy. But we believe in ambitious dreams. To further improve the epic workflow advantages Console 1 brings, we had to ask, “where can we go next?” The answer was clear, and the result is here: Console 1 Fader.

The Console 1 mixing ecosystem is so much more than a simple DAW/plug-in controller. It’s an efficient, elegant, and amazing-sounding modern mixing solution, combining hardware and software to give users the best of both worlds: the versatility, affordability, and usability of in-the-box mixing, alongside the workflow, feel, and focus dedicated hardware can bring​.

There are many ways to mix a masterpiece, but riding faders is a matter of muscle memory for a lot of us. And for good reason – reaching out and grabbing five or ten different sounds or groups at once, and quickly adjusting, listening, adjusting, listening, balancing... it’s a full-body discipline, and software alone can’t come close.

Ten touch-sensitive 100 mm Alps motorized faders give premium professional feel and feedback, while the weighty powder-coated steel chassis means durability and substance in a sleek Scandinavian design.

Fader includes two software-based component-modeled analog console emulations, Tube and Discrete. Way more than a clinical digital tool, Fader enriches sounds in the same ways as a true analog console, from filtering to saturation.

Tapping into the same purpose-designed software environment as the original Console 1 channel strip controller, Fader brings new levels of control over the wider world of mixing. Ride up to ten channels at once, working volume, high-and-low-cut filter values, drive and drive character (modeled desk saturation), and more. Then page up for ten more channels. And ten more, giving easy access to the whole mix, even when tracks number into the hundreds.

The single knob on Console 1 Fader offers control of pan per track, but also unlocks a powerful stereo spatialization tool, to widen or consolidate individual tracks, situating each sound perfectly in the mix.

Better still, with our innovative new Layer Mode the user can create layers of tracks, putting many levels of mixing at their fingertips. Fader can easily low cut all the guitars at once, or saturate groups early on for a top-down effect in seconds.

Console 1 Fader can be used alone, or in combination with the original Console 1 channel strip controller for a tight ‘complete desk’ experience. Multiple Fader units can even be used together to build the ideal workflow for a specific studio.

Improving feel and workflow, and making the best of hardware and software available in one place, Fader allows users to raise the sound quality bar to new heights. Mixing a masterpiece isn’t easy, but with Console 1 Fader it’s a new kind of joy.

In short:
● A ten-fader approach to Console 1, our hybrid hardware/software mixing ecosystem
● High quality hardware, designed and built for both feel and function
● Take fast and intuitive control of volume, saturation, filtering, and more
● Two awesome-sounding component-modeled console emulations included
● Expand your sonic options with Console 1 expansion channel strips (sold separately)
● Layer Mode allows you to organise and affect your mix in powerful new ways
● Spatializer tool offers fast per-channel control of stereo width
● Works with all major DAWs straight out of the box – no MIDI-mapping required
● Use alone, or in combination with the original Console 1 channel strip controller

Price:
$599 (International RRP)
$699 (US MAP)
€599 (Europe RRP)
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader-console-1-fader-00-top-unit.jpg   AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader-console-1-fader-02.jpg   AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader-console-1-fader-osd.jpg  
Old 15th October 2019
Engagement Manager

Interested in this
The price looks very good
Currently have 4 x Artist Mix’s for 32 channels in one of our rooms
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

In theory, this could be a huge game changer for us Console One users but I would've loved to have seen some kind of scribble strip so I know what track or bank I'm adjusting without looking up at the screen. Looking forward to seeing how it flows with with the Console One today in the video.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Addict

Looks like a great piece of gear at a great price! I feel Shaggy on the lack of a scribble strip but I assume that adds quite a lot to the cost ... that's where the Avid Artist Mix comes in.

Questions:

1) Can it control PT/Logic etc mixer faders or does it only control its own software package that the audio has to be routed through (i'm assuming with plugins?)

2) If the answer to the above is the latter, I assume the tube/discrete emulations can be turned off and it can be a colourless nullable digital mixer as well?
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Looks awesome. A scribble strip would’ve been nice but I guess we’ll just have to use masking tape like the old days.

I’m interested to hear how this integrates with UAD Console.
Old 15th October 2019
Deleted 3284bb9
Does anybody have a link to the Youtube release video? I think somebody mentioned there was a live product launch
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Looks well thought out.

I was considering the original Console but have not pulled the trigger due to lack of faders. This and the console will be a nice pair.

Question: Does it have fader control integration with the UAD console? That would be amazing.

See you at AES.
Old 15th October 2019
I really hope the faders control the DAW and not just the plugin output level, but seeing as the Fader can be used stand-alone, DAW fader control seems like the only logical implementation to me.

The lack of scribble strip is unfortunate, but seeing as they've used the same casing as C1 that would have meant another format and pushed the price up. So maybe adding a dedicated iPad or something could resolve that.

Other than that it's down to how the integration with C1 makes it better and also for all the DAW makers to get onboard with implementing full integration with C1 and C1F.... %@&*! Apple Logic!
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

No scribble strip!

Odd decision for a channel fader controller, I like to know which channel I'm fading
without having to keep looking up at a screen.

My use of controllers is to decrease screen time when mixing.

Maybe I've mis-understood the product?
Old 15th October 2019
Great!

It seems there will be extender units
● Expand your sonic options with Console 1 expansion channel strips (sold separately)

600 USD is a good price, but the lack of a scribble strip means I will stick to my avid artist mix units
Old 15th October 2019
Your lack of channel displays is disturbing.
Quite disappointing actually.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Addict

This is referring to the already available channel strips for Console 1, not extender units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
Great!

It seems there will be extender units

600 USD is a good price, but the lack of a scribble strip means I will stick to my avid artist mix units
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Addict

Provided that the OSD is amazing and very intuitive, I would gladly take that instead of the horrible, hard-to-see scribble strips on my X-Touch. Practically unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisha View Post
Your lack of channel displays is disturbing.
Quite disappointing actually.
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
This is referring to the already available channel strips for Console 1, not extender units.
Hmm misread that then.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Wonder if we'll be able to switch those fader knobs off for something metallic / silver instead of the white.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
Hmm misread that then.
From Softube's site:

"You can even use multiple Console 1 Fader units to build the ideal workflow for your specific studio."

So, I think it can be expanded.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Looks like a great product for Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Sonar users. Well priced too! Good job Softube.

If Pro Tools users want a hardware control surface then the Avid S1 will be the ticket for them along with the upcoming Avid Control App.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Wonder if we'll be able to switch those fader knobs off for something metallic / silver instead of the white.
Doubt it, plus you'd have to make sure that you got something that was able to maintain conductivity for touch sensitivity purposes.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi View Post
From Softube's site:

"You can even use multiple Console 1 Fader units to build the ideal workflow for your specific studio."

So, I think it can be expanded.
Does C1F control ones DAW like for example a Faderport 16 does?

So I like the idea of have a CF1 > Control 1 MKII > CF1 like a little mini Avid desk.

8 Faders > Centre section for EQ etc > 8 Faders.

16 faders in total.

My only issue at this point is how on earth when I start banking through my 48 DAW channels (I use to make a record) do I know which channel I'm fading.

Without the simplest of scribble strip I'm going to be truly lost without staring at the screen as I mix.

I'm starting to question whether I've completely mis-understood the application for this product?
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 3284bb9 View Post
Does anybody have a link to the Youtube release video? I think somebody mentioned there was a live product launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ38...ature=youtu.be
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I really hope the faders control the DAW and not just the plugin output level, but seeing as the Fader can be used stand-alone, DAW fader control seems like the only logical implementation to me.
I agree that it seems like the only logical implementation but would like some clarification. It's a bit confusing since it comes bundled with console plugins and could, in theory, be tied to control the plugin channels only and not the Daw channels.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Mixingtable.com

Combi Lux Desk Stand
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader-372c8326-a403-471d-9c85-0ba76feff0af.jpg  
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Doubt it, plus you'd have to make sure that you got something that was able to maintain conductivity for touch sensitivity purposes.
I'm sure it can be done. SSL sells fader caps for Nucleus and AWS:

https://store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/58?page=1
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
Combi Lux Desk Stand
That was quick!

Personally, I would prefer the units the other way round, as tweaking EQ and compression settings takes longer than a level adjustment, i.e. tweak listen, tweak some more and listen etc. Also no need for the wrist rest in the middle.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
Combi Lux Desk Stand

I like the concept. I wonder how well this might be with an Avid S1/Console 1 mix? The S1 is more feature-rich then the Console Fader...but the Console 1 is great for EQ/Dynamics, etc. That match for Pro Tools users might be really good....
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head
Maybe it uses different colors of led lights inside the buttons to indicate what channel number youre on, like every 5th channel is highlighted, etc.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

It looks like the faders will control volume through the plugin rather than control the daw fader, like how Console 1 works. So put a "fader" plugin on every channel in your daw and then start mixing with console fader. The plugin will also emulates the sound of a console with "discrete" or "tube" options to start out with.

Looks pretty cool, for me it will come down to how it works with UA Console.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
It looks like the faders will control volume through the plugin rather than control the daw fader, like how Console 1 works. So put a "fader" plugin on every channel in your daw and then start mixing with console fader. The plugin will also emulates the sound of a console with "discrete" or "tube" options to start out with.

Looks pretty cool, for me it will come down to how it works with UA Console.
That wouldn't make much sense mixing-wise. Every other inserted plugin after the console plugin would be post-fader. If I happened to have a compressor inserted after the console plugin and decided to ride the softube fader, I'd be affecting the volume that goes into the compressor. That would mean major gain-staging issues.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head
You would have to put the fader plugin last in the chain I guess.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post

● Works with all major DAWs straight out of the box – no MIDI-mapping required
That is of course a oversaturation. A more appropriate statement is that it only works with softube plugins on supported platforms. And in softube case that is it works if it works, support might help you to remove your daw settings to see if it start to work, else you need to reinstall your daw until it works or you give up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search