The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I'll likely go one way or the other. Even if I wanted to spring for all, I don't have the desk space.

But automatic mapping of 3rd party plugins? Each control automatically mapped to a fader? Now THAT might be the deciding factor.
Since the introduction of Softube Fader I have wondered back and forth whether to get it. Quite unexpectedly this had led to buying a Faderport 16 which I never gave a thought before. I am using Studio One and the FP16 can control a lot more than Softube. Plus you get track names, colors etc., albeit the visual quality could be better.

Shame on Softube for not providing linear C1 volume control in DAW mode (yes, you can check the box for linear behaviour in C1 settings, but you don't get linear in DAW mode). Unable to get used to the acceleration I went searching for a solution and ended with FP16.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Since the introduction of Softube Fader I have wondered back and forth whether to get it. Quite unexpectedly this had led to buying a Faderport 16 which I never gave a thought before. I am using Studio One and the FP16 can control a lot more than Softube. Plus you get track names, colors etc., albeit the visual quality could be better.

Shame on Softube for not providing linear C1 volume control in DAW mode (yes, you can check the box for linear behaviour in C1 settings, but you don't get linear in DAW mode). Unable to get used to the acceleration I went searching for a solution and ended with FP16.
Yeah, hard to beat full integration. And the auto labeling/mapping addressed 1 of my 2 concerns. I'm becoming ok with the idea of no knobs per channel. Behringer and Mackie are the best options for that, but still don't integrate as well as the FP16.

One more question if you don't mind. Is the FP16 compatible with scenes? I've seen that there are modes to show instrument tracks only, buses, VCAs, audio, FX... all of the track types I think. But I've seen nothing on scenes.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
One more question if you don't mind. Is the FP16 compatible with scenes? I've seen that there are modes to show instrument tracks only, buses, VCAs, audio, FX... all of the track types I think. But I've seen nothing on scenes.
I have only had the unit for a few days. Only scratched the surface so far. But I have not seen sync with scenes or what is visible on screen in Studio One yet. I wish the latter was possible.

Anyway, my template is set up with busses, each of which has a Console 1 inserted. So just choosing busses in FP16 gives me a good overview. I used to have 20 of those in C1, I have now reduced to 16 to fit FP16. Still it is easy to scroll to the next 8 or 16 busses should I need more than that. Drum buss is included, but kit parts are treated separately.
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Faderport not having knobs per track is the main thing holding me off from that. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I've been looking for alternatives.

Curious about a Console 1 MKII & Fader combo for Studio One. Full integration, so I'm not so concerned about controlling the DAW aside from no scribble strips. But I don't use many C1 plugins.

How adaptable is this to controlling 3rd party plugins? Hard to find vids on this.
Softube don't officially support controlling third party plugins aside from UAD. It can be done but with some major drawbacks. You can use the controller in regular MIDI mode, but then you will lose all the C1 functionality, so not really worth the price just for that in my opinion.
I use mine in that way quite often as Softube don't support the UAD channel strips which I prefer over the C1. But it's far from ideal.
Old 20th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
Softube don't officially support controlling third party plugins aside from UAD. It can be done but with some major drawbacks. You can use the controller in regular MIDI mode, but then you will lose all the C1 functionality, so not really worth the price just for that in my opinion.
I use mine in that way quite often as Softube don't support the UAD channel strips which I prefer over the C1. But it's far from ideal.
Yeah, I now understand Softubes integration better. Not quite ruled out, but it's likely Faderport 16 or wait for something new from Presonus.

Just as I'm becoming OK with the idea of no knobs, I find out the Faderport doesn't do scenes.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac
anybody using fader with pro tools? I'm thinking to buy Faderport atm but fader 1 seems pretty, since I also use Apollo.. I just need basic things,
pro tools' transport section, faders, solo, mute, rec enable that's it I guess.

what do you guys think?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search