The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Softube is going for an ecosystem type of approach, so I get it. I'm still not in love with it though, if it is correct that C1F doesn't actually control the DAW faders and instead only controls the fader on an instantiation of one their console plugins on each channel.

Now, being that I am already into the UAD ecosystem, of which Softube is a part of, I could get into this product if they have integrated it well into the whole Apollo Central concept.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi View Post
That wouldn't make much sense mixing-wise. Every other inserted plugin after the console plugin would be post-fader. If I happened to have a compressor inserted after the console plugin and decided to ride the softube fader, I'd be affecting the volume that goes into the compressor. That would mean major gain-staging issues.
I'm just guessing because this is how the original Console 1 plugin works, it just had a volume knob instead of a fader, but knob controlled volume via the plugin, not your DAW fader.

It didn't mess with the level to the plugins but IIRC you did have to insert it last in the chain. I haven't used the Console 1 in a couple years though so I could be misstating how it works. I guess we'll find out about this one shortly.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I'm just guessing because this is how the original Console 1 plugin works, it just had a volume knob instead of a fader, but knob controlled volume via the plugin, not your DAW fader.

It didn't mess with the level to the plugins but IIRC you did have to insert it last in the chain. I haven't used the Console 1 in a couple years though so I could be misstating how it works. I guess we'll find out about this one shortly.
The volume knob controls the DAW fader (if it's supported) and if you hold shift it controls the plugin output.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Softube is going for an ecosystem type of approach, so I get it. I'm still not in love with it though, if it is correct that C1F doesn't actually control the DAW faders and instead only controls the fader on an instantiation of one their console plugins on each channel.

Now, being that I am already into the UAD ecosystem, of which Softube is a part of, I could get into this product if they have integrated it well into the whole Apollo Central concept.
As softube software owner I certainly would perfere that they focused on making their stuff to co-operate with the DAW and it's functions for hardware controllers.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
The volume knob controls the DAW fader (if it's supported) and if you hold shift it controls the plugin output.
Okay, I used it with Pro Tools which must not have supported that function, at least at the time. I ended up just using Pro Tools' faders outside of the C1 plugin.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
As softube software owner I certainly would perfere that they focused on making their stuff to co-operate with the DAW and it's functions for hardware controllers.
Me too. But I think the situation isn't that Softube isn't trying to make it work with DAWs, it's that Softube has a hard time convincing some DAW companies to cooperate with them. Avid seems to always think their best strategy is isolation, and this is a direct competitor to Avid control surfaces.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Me too. But I think the situation isn't that Softube isn't trying to make it work with DAWs, it's that Softube has a hard time convincing some DAW companies to cooperate with them. Avid seems to always think their best strategy is isolation, and this is a direct competitor to Avid control surfaces.
I think they do the opposite. They have ****ed up their VST3 so it does not work with Cubendo hardware integration. And it is quite clear in the vst-sdk documentation how it should work. And it used to work, but it does not any more. I have debugged it much you can without source code. It is the findParameter virtual method that returns invalid data. It's a virtual method that it does not need to be implemented, but the doc strongly recommend it.

After about 10 mail back an forth over a half year they conclude that they dont support AI/QC. So, it might be true that is not mentioned in their product spec. But they claims VST3 support.

They have a findParameter method but it returns wrong values and at some cases it crashes due to the return value. It might be faulty return values is a index pointer that corrupts memory. Hard to conclude without source code.

They did not even try to reproduce the issue, (or they could easily do it but just playing fools (IF they did that they was very successful as fools)).
I feel embarrassed by my fellow citizens at Softube. I used to be proud, that long gone after a support session.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head

I like it, but... Over £500 for a fader pack? Listen, I liked the functions shown on the live feed, but jeez, that's expensive for what it is. There are plenty of ways to get similar functionality for far cheaper, so, that's a shame.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

According to Softube's website:

"These DAWs support synchronized track selection, solo/mute, DAW send, pan and volume:

Presonus Studio One 3.3 (VST3)
Sonar (latest version) (VST3)
Cockos REAPER 5.50 (VST3)
Cubase 9.5.10 (VST3)

These DAWs support automatic transfer of the DAW’s track name and number to Console 1:

Presonus Studio One 2.6 (VST3)
Sonar (VST3)
Cubase 8.0.5 (VST3)
Nuendo 6.5 (VST3)
Logic Pro 10.2 (AU)
Ableton Live 8.4.1 (AU only, requires that all track names begin with a “# “, note the blank space)
Digital Performer (AU only)
​Cockos REAPER 5.50 (VST3)"

So it looks like with Pro Tools it still won't control the DAW faders or automatically transfer track name. My understanding is that Softube needs the DAW makers to implement their code to make them play nice and enable these features but that's just what I've heard.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Looks like a great product for Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Sonar users. Well priced too! Good job Softube.

If Pro Tools users want a hardware control surface then the Avid S1 will be the ticket for them along with the upcoming Avid Control App.
Do FL Studio users get any love, out of the box?
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head

The retail price says $599 but online stores have it for $699. I was hoping to see $549 at Sweetwater.

Hoping to see a video soon on the OSD with C1 and C1 Fader working together.

Just installed the new C1 plugin update. Some new visuals.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

The lack of a scribble strip makes it a no-go for me. They could have gone all in with a high res touch screen strip here, with some clever functionality, and I would have paid double the price.
Also, some proper transport controls would have been nice.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac
The Behringer X Touch looks mighty fine after seeing this. I don’t want to overcomplicate my workflow with yet another layer or plugin in between my work... if it would work standalone without the plugin I would say great device but this is just not for me.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla View Post
The Behringer X Touch looks mighty fine after seeing this. I don’t want to overcomplicate my workflow with yet another layer or plugin in between my work... if it would work standalone without the plugin I would say great device but this is just not for me.
I'm in the same boat with you regarding the X-Touch. I need something to give me total control within the DAW. Softube doesn't offer this from what I can tell. It is simply a plug-in overlay for your DAW to introduce their own plug-ins (SSL4000 in C1, Tube/Discrete Emulations & Spatializer in C1F) into your DAW (kind of like any other plug-ins you would use) using their controller to manipulate the sound in a more tactile way. The fact that they have a close integration with UAD and Apollo Console is a plus for me, but I see the X-Touch as essential for control, and the Softube gear as simply a really nice add-on.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Have to see some hands-on videos on the VCA grouping. I am confused about the routing and the limitation of 3 Sends. Something weird is going on between UAD and Softube. Time to reveal the mystery.
Old 16th October 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone understand the Console Emulation here (Tube or Discrete)?
Is it an extra layer of emulation in addition to what's in the channel strip - or instead of it?
I wonder if they have modelled multiple console channels (like Brainworx or Presonus CTC-1) or if it is a single channel replicated for each instance??
Old 16th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimbot View Post
Is it an extra layer of emulation in addition to what's in the channel strip - or instead of it?
I wonder if they have modelled multiple console channels (like Brainworx or Presonus CTC-1) or if it is a single channel replicated for each instance??
This a good question.
I dont get this either.
Do you stack one plugin for console 1 and one for console fader?
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimbot View Post
At 31.20 he says that you can only use 1 at a time.

Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

I just watched the Softube live stream Youtube presentation for the new unit in conjunction with the Console 1 MKII unit
and I just felt baffled .... being a bit old school in my approach.

This appears to be the plugin controller equivalent of Sudoku!

I think in Softube's attempt to make a system that's unique to them they have truly gone down the proverbial
Rabbit Hole and lost themselves in self indulgence of "what else can we do with these buttons" .... talk about cognitive overload.

At one point the presenter said the LED's change to different colour according to their various multi-functions and then added the lights are really pretty!

Pretty confusing more like ... although I admit at 56 years old I even find the DAW Reaper confusing so maybe it's just me.

I do think the unit looks well made and I'm sure some people will fly around on this system effortlessly.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

I hope they release a single fader unit later on - and make sure track follow works for all DAWs.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear
No scribble strips??
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Abelton Live will have full DAW control and Console 1 compatibility in their next update. Pretty big deal for anyone using Live and a C1.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut

I really like this !
As i use a lot of softube and UAD plugins on a track level (plus a bit of Soundtoys and PSP more on a bus level), using the Console 1 + Console 1 fader combo would make a lot of sens for me.
I would even consider switching from Samplitude to Studio One for this because of integration, and that says a lot...
Old 16th October 2019
RDP
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Abelton Live will have full DAW control and Console 1 compatibility in their next update. Pretty big deal for anyone using Live and a C1.
Where is that info coming from? Interested.

RDP
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post

RDP
It was mentioned by Todd Urban (product demonstrator for Softube) on the UAD forum. So it is to be considered official.
Old 16th October 2019
Administrator

Confirmed CONSOLE 1 FADER Price:
$599 (International RRP)
$699 (US MAP)
€599 (Europe RRP)
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post

RDP
He says it in the video from yesterday. He actually stopped and asked his producer if it was okay to announce it.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut

I just bought it and am looking for inspiration how to place my MK2 and the Fader on my desk... Next to each other or below each other? What are your setups?
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut

Can Console 1 Fader control the EQ section of the channel strip? If so - how? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Can Console 1 Fader control the EQ section of the channel strip? If so - how? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
Only filters AFAIK.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search