The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate
Old 8th October 2019
News Desk Editor

AES 2019: Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate

Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate

Tomorrow (9th October 2019) we’ll be unleashing a brand new Oxford Plug-In into the acoustic drum production world.

Here at Sonnox HQ we’ve become progressively frustrated with the unreliable results we get when using traditional tools to gate drums; chatter, misdetection, choked and lost ghost notes to name but a few.

Perhaps, like us, you’ve also become tired of the overly complex and time-consuming workflows needed to get the clean and consistent results you want?

Then please let us introduce the Oxford Drum Gate; it's swift and logical workflow solves all these problems and delivers the fastest, most musical and transparent results available.

There are 4 aspects to the Plug-In:

1. At the heart of it is intelligent drum-hit Detection. First, all hits are analysed in real-time using tailor-made transient detection. Then, you simply decide which hits on which drums to keep.

For example, do you need to reduce spill on a snare track in a dynamic mix of backbeats, ghost notes, and cross stick hits?

No problem! Just click the Snare button. Everything else is gated out.

2. Tired of fighting abrupt and un-musical gating? Do you want to keep the natural ring of toms and remove the spill around them?

Easy! Use Drum Gate’s adaptive Decay section to quickly tune the resonance of each tom, in real-time, according to the velocity of each detected hit.

3. Wish you could improve the consistency of the drummer’s performance?

Of course you do! Conform louder main hits and softer background articulations to two separately controlled target level ranges in the Leveller section.

4. Want to augment/replace individual drums with samples and confidently retain the dynamics from the original performance?

Piece of cake! It’s delivered by Drum Gate’s hit detection and MIDI triggering functionality.

The Oxford Drum Gate will launch at an introductory retail price of £127.50/$183.00, $172.00 MAP.

This 25% saving will last until midnight GMT Wednesday 4th December 2019. After which it’ll revert to its full retail price of £170.00/$244.80, $230.00 MAP.

We’re rather proud of this new addition to our family!

Interested in learning more? Then please visit our site tomorrow: https://www.sonnox.com/

Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate-unnamed-9-.jpg  
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Addict

Interesting...
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

I was looking into getting a good gate soon and had about settled on the FabFilter Pro-G. This Oxford one is "suspiciously" the same price, haha! Will have to think about it, but this does look interesting.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Definite demo. If it stops me using drumatom, Pro g, and Massey drt in one plug I could be sold. Typical that drum recordings I get either need none of that, or all of it!
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Simply the best gate around , period ... rendering a 15 min vidéo for you guyz

Extraction of grooves is what i love about this bad boy , specially when i work on LoFi hip hop stuff , grooves (blues and jazz samples) are alwayz crazy ( in a good way )
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Putting this against ANY "normal" gate is not a fair fight.

The closest thing to it I know is the Slate drum gate which is based on transient detection rather than 'dumb' level. It's incredible too make no mistake, but I think this goes a few steps further again - sort of into RX AI mode!

Prepare to be amazed!
Old 9th October 2019
|-|
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if this will be available for the Venue platform, and/or the Waves SoundGrid format?

I got the email but it doesn’t mention which supported formats.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Does anyone know if this will be available for the Venue platform, and/or the Waves SoundGrid format?

Don't think so , AAX VST AU is what i see on my installer , latency is 65 ms
Old 9th October 2019
|-|
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Don't think so , AAX VST AU is what i see on my installer , latency is 65 ms
65ms?! Is that a typo? If not then wow, this is impossible to use in a live scenario.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
65ms?! Is that a typo? If not then wow, this is impossible to use in a live scenario.
This is why i specified it ... it's too deep for live , i don't see why i would use this on live , i will use a regular gate with option , the sniper mode is killa (lol) and needs latency i guess

Wait until you see it in action and judge if this would be siomething you would be using on live .
Old 9th October 2019
|-|
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, still going to give it a test run. I own a few Sonnox plugs and they’re excellent.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

If the leveler algorithm is on point, this feature will be worth it alone
Old 9th October 2019
Few tools get me as weirdly excited as a great gate.
Old 9th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Unfortunately due to the Oxford Drum Gate's lookahead time and high latency, it's not feasible to be used in a live situation and as such is available in Native formats only. We don't have any plans to release an HDX or SoundGrid version in the future.

We'd love to hear how you get on with it in your recording sessions though! You can take a free 15-day demo here:

https://www.sonnox.com/demos
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Ok guyz here's my quik overview , i wanted to go way deeper but i know you guyz don't specially go for my long format videos lol

1) Quick plugin tour

2) Use on drums

3) Sniper mode !!! @ 9 min

4) Drum midi extraction @ 12 min

5) Conclusion @ 14 min34

Thks for watching

Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

This thing is magical
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
This thing is magical
Eric did ya tried it ?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I was looking into getting a good gate soon and had about settled on the FabFilter Pro-G. This Oxford one is "suspiciously" the same price, haha! Will have to think about it, but this does look interesting.
FabFilter needs to update their interface for their gate plugin. I have their total bundle and it's by far their worst GUI.

Edit: hopefully now because of the competition they will do so...
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

The length of the intro pricing is also very generous
Old 9th October 2019
Looks really good. Combines Drum Gator and the new crop of freq-based gates (gatey watey, et al), with the leveling as a bonus (sorta reminds me of mdrumleveller there). This is gonna seriously streamline my work flow if it works well.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eric did ya tried it ?
No, I haven't but judging from your video the plugin works great.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

I tried to use other gates on my exemple , it s a tuff beat cause kik , snare and tom are close in amplitude and time !
Fab filter with the filter wasn t able to even come close ... my other gates also

Around 153 $ if you guyz look around ... for me it s simply a must have for people in need of serious tools
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Am i the only one excited by the groove extraction ? I confess my exemple was wak but you get the idea , it s super powerfull imho ...
Old 9th October 2019
If only the latest ilok manager installer would work on my PC... error 1935, 1603.

At least the ilok service still works for my keys, I can't be bothered to troubleshoot the manager installer...

Hopefully this comes out on UAD, I'll try it then.

Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

can't seem to find a mix knob.. am i missing something?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
can't seem to find a mix knob.. am i missing something?
Why a mix knob ? the ratio (gain reduction ) is suffisant , nope ?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
If only the latest ilok manager installer would work on my PC... error 1935, 1603.

At least the ilok service still works for my keys, I can't be bothered to troubleshoot the manager installer...

Hopefully this comes out on UAD, I'll try it then.

I'm on PC and it was instant smooth ... check , it opened a cloud session at first cause cloud was enabled , i then moved the licence to my key after closing the cloud session ...
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok guyz here's my quik overview , i wanted to go way deeper but i know you guyz don't specially go for my long format videos lol

1) Quick plugin tour

2) Use on drums

3) Sniper mode !!! @ 9 min

4) Drum midi extraction @ 12 min

5) Conclusion @ 14 min34

Thks for watching

Thanks for the video

Looks good - gonna demo for myself.

Accusonus Regroover Pro is good for separating and treating individually as well and also Cableguys Volume Shaper can be good. The more tools the better. This looks pretty good for a complete all in one interface.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

yup, i was missing that! thanks!!.. pretty crazy what this can do to a room mic

Quote:
Why a mix knob ? the ratio (gain reduction ) is suffisant , nope ?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

A bit off topic but same developer - Sonnox Limiter on sale at moment (50%). Thought I'd give the heads up as it's pretty good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search