The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate
Old 16th October 2019
Used this on a session yesterday and am honestly pretty blown away by how well it works. Miles beyond any other gate/debleed plug I've used. A definite buy in my opinion.
Old 17th October 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

I found it a bit overwhelming on first go, but I'm easily overwhelmed by busy interfaces. The presets didn't really get me anywhere either, so I'll have to roll up my sleeves with the manual and figure it out before deciding. Thankfully the uncrippled demo is a generous two weeks; that's a nice touch.
Old 17th October 2019
I was surpised at first... but on further use I can hear transient smearing and some sort of artifacts that reminds me dolby noise reduction...
Is it just me?
Cheers!

Last edited by Sonoman; 17th October 2019 at 05:46 PM..
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

To be honest, I really wanted this to be revolutionary, but I didn't find it better than Drum Gator or Expurgate and found it more unnatural sounding. The only advantage with Sonnox gate is that I was able to set it pretty quickly to not gate the ghost notes on a snare drum, which I can achieve with Expurgate only with careful automation. But on the other hand Sonnox gate is still just a gate (if I leave out drum leveler, where I much preferred Soundradix). It cannot elimitate hi-hat bleed from snare like Drumatom can do to a certain extent. So in the end after few days of use I unfortunately came to the conclusion that besides pretty interface it doesn't bring any innovative advancement over existing gate plugins.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

This technology seems a good fit for a de-esser too.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
To be honest, I really wanted this to be revolutionary, but I didn't find it better than Drum Gator or Expurgate and found it more unnatural sounding. The only advantage with Sonnox gate is that I was able to set it pretty quickly to not gate the ghost notes on a snare drum, which I can achieve with Expurgate only with careful automation. But on the other hand Sonnox gate is still just a gate (if I leave out drum leveler, where I much preferred Soundradix). It cannot elimitate hi-hat bleed from snare like Drumatom can do to a certain extent. So in the end after few days of use I unfortunately came to the conclusion that besides pretty interface it doesn't bring any innovative advancement over existing gate plugins.
I don’t even know if I want to gate after the fact anyways.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Demoed it ruined the sound

Ill stick with expurgate ... its hard to beat
Old 19th October 2019
Gave this plugin a whirl and did my best to explain my thoughts on it!

Praise:
-Match transient feature (worked great on a snare with tonnes of hi hat bleed)
-MIDI extraction (especially when the gate is well set)

Critique:
-Would appreciate more user feedback when it's processing something under the hood (such as when using the auto-set leveller feature, it says to start playback but once playback has begun it gives no indication that it's working)

Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Sam, nice video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzilla View Post
Gave this plugin a whirl and did my best to explain my thoughts on it!

Would appreciate more user feedback when it's processing something under the hood (such as when using the auto-set leveller feature, it says to start playback but once playback has begun it gives no indication that it's working)
The Learn Unmatched, Remove Matched, and Leveler Auto-Set panels are supposed to update when playback starts. Something went wrong right before release and they stopped working!

We will get an update released ASAP to fix this and other issues mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by SonnoxSupport; 20th October 2019 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Is this thing on sale?

How much for how long?

ilok?
Old 20th October 2019
@ SonnoxSupport - I just noticed that under Drum Gate's automation parameters there's a feature called "Transient Min. Retrigger Time". This would be a very useful feature, indeed, however, I am not seeing it anywhere in the plugin's GUI, nor is there any reference to it in the user manual. Can i access this parameter without using automation, or did i perhaps stumble upon a "hidden" feature...?
Old 21st October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
@ SonnoxSupport - I just noticed that under Drum Gate's automation parameters there's a feature called "Transient Min. Retrigger Time". This would be a very useful feature, indeed, however, I am not seeing it anywhere in the plugin's GUI, nor is there any reference to it in the user manual. Can i access this parameter without using automation, or did i perhaps stumble upon a "hidden" feature...?
We needed this during beta. After making various transient detection improvements, we found it was very rarely needed, if needed at all. When detecting transients in signals with lots of low frequency content (like boomy toms!) increasing the transient side-chain filter is a more effective way of preventing false detections during the resonant decay. We left the minimum re-trigger time parameter available in case anyone had transient detection problems which couldn't be solved any other way.

If you use Reaper, you can pull that parameter into the mixer's FX Params section to adjust it without automating. Studio One may have a similar feature.

Have you found times where you've been unable to detect all real transients without also getting false detections?
Old 21st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnoxSupport View Post
We needed this during beta. After making various transient detection improvements, we found it was very rarely needed, if needed at all. When detecting transients in signals with lots of low frequency content (like boomy toms!) increasing the transient side-chain filter is a more effective way of preventing false detections during the resonant decay. We left the minimum re-trigger time parameter available in case anyone had transient detection problems which couldn't be solved any other way.

If you use Reaper, you can pull that parameter into the mixer's FX Params section to adjust it without automating. Studio One may have a similar feature.

Have you found times where you've been unable to detect all real transients without also getting false detections?
Aha, gotcha.

I'll look into adding it in S1. I bet it's possible in their multi-parameter thingy (forget the official name of it...I'm a recent convert. ha!)

Anywho, as for my own experience: generally speaking, i'm finding drum gate to be 'ok' at detection in its default setting, but i can make it 'perfect' by making use of the learning functionality. I'm also finding it beneficial to automate a few parameters (namely, the gain reduction and transient sensitivity settings) to fine-tune particularly difficult drum fills or ghost-note passages.

I haven't used the HPF much, to be honest. But, so far i've been using drum gate on pretty loud/bright/punchy rock and metal drums, so there hasn't been much long sustaining "boom" to argue with.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Addict

I'm getting 3144 ms delay compensation while using this. Is that normal? (Pro Tools 2019.6)
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Is this thing on sale?

How much for how long?

ilok?
We have got an introductory 25% discount price for Oxford Drum Gate running at the moment, making it £127.50 GBP until the end of November.

The licence can be authorised by either iLok Cloud or an iLok2/3 device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
I am just trying out the demo, as this plugin seemed to be able to replace a few of the plugins I'm already using, and I really liked the demos and the simple and intuitive interface.

However, whenever I insert and enable the plugin on a channel (for example a kick), the audio goes down by around 20db. And this is with the default settings, not playing around with the trim output or the leveling. And yes, all kick hits are being detected.
And that is by just inserting the plugin. Even if I bypass it, using the dedicated bypass button, the audio is still -20db.
If I bypass it using the DAW bypass option (using Reaper in my case), the audio is back to normal.

However, If I bypass it using the dedicated button, and then bypass it using the DAW bypass option, the audio is stuck at -20db!

Anyone having a similar experience?
I really want to like this plugin, and justify spending $170 on it, however, this first 5 minute experience is really throwing me off.
We have released a bug fix this morning which addresses this and a couple of other issues that have come up since the release. You can download the latest version from your mySonnox portal, but do get in touch with us directly if you have any other problems!
Old 24th October 2019
Not to derail this thread but I am hoping that Sonnox upgrades there whole older plug lineup some day. purchased Drum Gate and have almost all your plugins and they get heavy use here in a professional studio setting. But a lot of those older GUI's are smaller than need be. Your newer look is much better. Many older plugs are lacking in enough preset starting places - like your amazing compressor plugin. Also have things like being able to see the wave forms in your EQ window like the DMG Equality plug would be a great improvement. I still prefer the Sonnox sound and features sets from bread and butter needs to most other things out there. Of course we have a lot of special effects and sound design stuff that is off the charts way too many to think about at times, but still useful now and then.

Can DrumGate be resized? That is always a plus.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Really enjoying this plugin! It can do what I used to use a whole (automated) plugin chain to do for kick and snare.

However, tried it on toms today (long since gave up trying to gate toms and just do it manually), and Im blown away with not only how well it can catch dynamic tom hits, but how good and clean the toms sound. Really impressive stuff!
Old 2nd November 2019
Here for the gear
i've just demoed the plugin yesterday, i really liked it for loops,
so i copied the loop multiple times, then i added the gate and i got the kick, snare, hats, toms each one in it's own track, which worked very good.

But as a normal gate for drums i do still prefer DMG audio ExpurGate :D

but very handy plugin and i will definitely use it for loops..
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Addict

50% off all Sonnox plugins and bundles from 4th November till 4th of December (excluding this one which stays at the intro 25% off).
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Head

I‘m demoing too at the moment. How do you set it up for hats?
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic View Post
That´s the question of all questions.
Old 5th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
That´s the question of all questions.
Hi there! To gate bleed from hats:

- Make sure all transients have been detected
- Enable Learn Unmatched
- Play over a hats hit
- Do the same over a few more hits if there's lots of variation

Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnoxSupport View Post
Hi there! To gate bleed from hats:

- Make sure all transients have been detected
- Enable Learn Unmatched
- Play over a hats hit
- Do the same over a few more hits if there's lots of variation

I am dreaming of replacing real hats with internal sounds like shown with other drum elements. With today´s silent hi-hats it would be a game-changer if it would be possible to generate MIDI files. Could you make a video of how it works?
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Nut
Sonnox Sale now on. 50% off plugs and bundles, including this one.

Is this one still standing up?
Old 31 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Its the best tool for recorded drums, but it does introduce latency
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search