The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Sonnox announces Oxford Drum Gate
Old 9th October 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnoxSupport View Post
Unfortunately due to the Oxford Drum Gate's lookahead time and high latency, it's not feasible to be used in a live situation and as such is available in Native formats only. We don't have any plans to release an HDX or SoundGrid version in the future.

We'd love to hear how you get on with it in your recording sessions though! You can take a free 15-day demo here:

https://www.sonnox.com/demos
No UAD either?
Interested in trying this out.
Old 9th October 2019
  #32
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
yup, i was missing that! thanks!!.. pretty crazy what this can do to a room mic
yep even more carzy on acoustic stuff ..it's chilling on that ...i like make stuff striuggling on electro stuff ..but on acoustic it's even more natural ....
Old 9th October 2019
  #33
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
No UAD either?
Interested in trying this out.
shatz , cpu hit is riduculous .... guyz it was 2% on one core (in studio one) in my 4790s cpu based comp
Old 9th October 2019
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Simply the best gate around , period ... rendering a 15 min vidéo for you guyz
Looking forward to the video, let us know when it's up!

Edit: lol! weird, this thread was empty when i commented, must have moved or something, got the video now!
Old 9th October 2019
  #35
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
I swear some people expect plug-in manufacturers to build in time machines into their software so it can look into the future to do processing all in an instant fashion whilst using no CPU.... I want to quantize a live drummer during a concert on instant playback, and if I don’t get this feature in THIS plugin, (whilst running 32bit) I’ll let you know I’m not happy
Old 9th October 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Amazing. Super easy and fast to get the perfect results. It doesn't kill transients, super stable on sustain and doesn't mess with the groove on more complex patterns.

Well done Sonnox.
Old 10th October 2019
  #37
Gear Maniac
 

Do you get the same ‘Wōow!’ factor as the Slate Trigger’s Gate?
Sure you can do a lot more with the Sonnox, but just for basic gating, is it as close as perfection as Slate Trigger’s Gate?
Old 10th October 2019
  #38
Slate's gate didn't do much of anything for me. I felt it was a bit slow and sluggish in its response. The Sonnox one has impressed me more so far, but I'm still testing it. The gating features are nice, if not a bit time-consuming to set up to their fullest effect. The leveling part is only "ok" for me so far. I like mdrumleveller better, but I still haven't given the oxford a full, fair shake so i'm not committing to any verdicts just yet.

I will say that the oxford's ability to let thru ghost notes is absolutely astounding. And I dig what I can do with it on a room mic for quickly enhancing kicks or snares, though I'm not sure it will replace my usual methodology of keyed gating (though for quicker projects it might make for an excellent and effective compromise when i don't have the time to fully map out midi notes for kick and snare performances).

My biggest gripes right now are with the decay controls; I feel they're a bit limited and could be expanded considerably. I also wish there was a ducking function to complement the gating function.
Old 10th October 2019
  #39
Hi, y'all. I just spent some more time playing around with the plug and figured I'd share some of my results. Here's a multi-track drum performance looped into five parts:

1. kick, snare, rack tom, floor tom, with oxford gate engaged.
2. the same mics, with the gate disabled.
3. the same mics, gated again, and with the addition of an overhead mic.
4. the same mics, with the gate disabled, with the addition of an overhead.
5. the original loop with gated close mics.

I had to do a bit of capturing to get the gate to trigger accurately on the tom mics, but the kick and snare were easy to dial in without those additional steps.

The drum leveller feature is also gently employed.
Attached Files

Drum Demo_01-01.mp3 (3.03 MB, 4041 views)

Old 10th October 2019
  #40
This definately ads something to the gate(d) community.
I tried it last night on kick and top, bottom snare. And its working really good. Maybe some HiHat left on some snare hits but all in all maybe the best results I got with any gate. Thats just playing with it for 15 min.
The best thing with this one is that it seems very deep in all ts functions but still is very easy to learn.
That being said I think the slate gate is easier and more straight forward.
But this feels better.
A perfect mix between slates gate and Fabfilters
Old 10th October 2019
  #41
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
This definately ads something to the gate(d) community.
I tried it last night on kick and top, bottom snare. And its working really good. Maybe some HiHat left on some snare hits but all in all maybe the best results I got with any gate. Thats just playing with it for 15 min.
The best thing with this one is that it seems very deep in all ts functions but still is very easy to learn.
That being said I think the slate gate is easier and more straight forward.
But this feels better.
A perfect mix between slates gate and Fabfilters
Don t forget to play with the decay time / frenquency ....exellent to remove those , also you can also increase sensibility and the remove hh and cymbals transient if younstill here some

Some time i ve found myself , removing eveything and the re injecting all i needed was faster
Old 10th October 2019
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Don t forget to play with the decay time / frenquency ....exellent to remove those , also you can also increase sensibility and the remove hh and cymbals transient if younstill here some

Some time i ve found myself , removing eveything and the re injecting all i needed was faster
Yeah I played with those. Very Nice feature. As you said it was almost easier to pull them down and then re-introduce them.
Almost too complicated for my brain to understand how that worked in the beginning.
I didnt try the match-function. That seemed a bit too difficult late last night
Old 10th October 2019
  #43
Huge props to Sonnox for leaving the display active even when the plugin is Bypassed. This makes it SO MUCH EASIER to dial in correct settings. Yes!!
Old 10th October 2019
  #44
OK here's another little drum demo. I'm really starting to love this thing! This is basically the same format as the previous thing i posted, but with the addition of kick out and snare bottom mics. There are also two more toms on this kit. However, the toms on this project were already strip-silenced, so the gate isn't working nearly as hard on the tom tracks.

But the thing i really (REALLY!!!) dug about the gate on toms is, i can tailor the sustain of each drum in such a controlled way that it makes it sound like the kit was better-tuned and/or the heads were fresher. By shortening the sustain of some of the "wonkier" parts of the tom decay (ie - the low mids), the toms sound much more even, better-played, and better tuned. It's very powerful.

I used the same sort of trickery to shape the kick and snare. At one point I got things so even-sounding that it was sounding like drum samples; too mechanical for the record I'm sharing from here, so i dialed it back a bit. But would be amazing on more modern, heavier metal or rock. Even still, you'll hear a pretty distinct "evening" of the performance, in addition to the more obvious spill reduction that takes place.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

Drum Demo 2.mp3 (4.95 MB, 3684 views)

Old 10th October 2019
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
OK here's another little drum demo. I'm really starting to love this thing! This is basically the same format as the previous thing i posted, but with the addition of kick out and snare bottom mics. There are also two more toms on this kit. However, the toms on this project were already strip-silenced, so the gate isn't working nearly as hard on the tom tracks.

But the thing i really (REALLY!!!) dug about the gate on toms is, i can tailor the sustain of each drum in such a controlled way that it makes it sound like the kit was better-tuned and/or the heads were fresher. By shortening the sustain of some of the "wonkier" parts of the tom decay (ie - the low mids), the toms sound much more even, better-played, and better tuned. It's very powerful.

I used the same sort of trickery to shape the kick and snare. At one point I got things so even-sounding that it was sounding like drum samples; too mechanical for the record I'm sharing from here, so i dialed it back a bit. But would be amazing on more modern, heavier metal or rock. Even still, you'll hear a pretty distinct "evening" of the performance, in addition to the more obvious spill reduction that takes place.

Enjoy!
ETA - i should mention, this is a different drummer from the first example, and a damn good one at that (which should be obvious from the clip). The guy has played in several rather famous metal and hardcore bands over the last couple decades, and is a total wizard in the studio, so much credit to him for making it so easy to help this great plugin shine.
Old 12th October 2019
  #46
Here for the gear
 

I am just trying out the demo, as this plugin seemed to be able to replace a few of the plugins I'm already using, and I really liked the demos and the simple and intuitive interface.

However, whenever I insert and enable the plugin on a channel (for example a kick), the audio goes down by around 20db. And this is with the default settings, not playing around with the trim output or the leveling. And yes, all kick hits are being detected.
And that is by just inserting the plugin. Even if I bypass it, using the dedicated bypass button, the audio is still -20db.
If I bypass it using the DAW bypass option (using Reaper in my case), the audio is back to normal.

However, If I bypass it using the dedicated button, and then bypass it using the DAW bypass option, the audio is stuck at -20db!

Anyone having a similar experience?
I really want to like this plugin, and justify spending $170 on it, however, this first 5 minute experience is really throwing me off.
Old 12th October 2019
  #47
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
I am just trying out the demo, as this plugin seemed to be able to replace a few of the plugins I'm already using, and I really liked the demos and the simple and intuitive interface.

However, whenever I insert and enable the plugin on a channel (for example a kick), the audio goes down by around 20db. And this is with the default settings, not playing around with the trim output or the leveling. And yes, all kick hits are being detected.
And that is by just inserting the plugin. Even if I bypass it, using the dedicated bypass button, the audio is still -20db.
If I bypass it using the DAW bypass option (using Reaper in my case), the audio is back to normal.

However, If I bypass it using the dedicated button, and then bypass it using the DAW bypass option, the audio is stuck at -20db!

Anyone having a similar experience?
I really want to like this plugin, and justify spending $170 on it, however, this first 5 minute experience is really throwing me off.
Vicarious are you sure your not gating everything ?
Old 12th October 2019
  #48
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Vicarious are you sure your not gating everything ?
I know it sounds weird, but no, I am not gating everything, and as I said, the sound gets ~20db down even when I bypass the plugin using the plugins bypass button.

Things got even weirder when I unsoloed the kick. Somehow, the gate affected ALL tracks, resulting in weird pumping. And once the level is down, even if I remove the plugin, the level is still down. I checked all volume knobs, all sends etc, nothing is changed, but yet, the level is down.

Just to make sure I'm not going crazy, I put 5 other gates on the same kick track, one by one, and each of them resulted in normal results as I'd expect.

Maybe it's the track setup that causes this weird behavior for the Oxford drum gate. The plugin is inserted on a kick track, which is a part of a kick bus folder, which is a subfolder of a drum bus folder, whose output is only sent to a mix bus folder, which then sends its output to the master bus. Using Reaper.

Starting an empty project, with the kick track in a kick bus folder, in a drum bus folder, sending to mix bus folder, the plugin works fine.

But I am puzzled why it behaves like it does on my existing project, where all other gates behave as expected...
Old 13th October 2019
  #49
Here for the gear
 
Luidgi's Avatar
Sonnox november sale coming, i hope they do 50% sale in this gate, must to have!
Old 13th October 2019
  #50
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luidgi View Post
Sonnox november sale coming, i hope they do 50% sale in this gate, must to have!
Would be nice but can't see it as this is the current intro offer price (around 25% off) until 4th December. They will probably have something like a 50% off sale for some of their other plugins during Black Friday Sales period. Their Limiter is 50% off until the end of this month at Plugin Boutique.
Old 13th October 2019
  #51
Here for the gear
 
Luidgi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Would be nice but can't see it as this is the current intro offer price (around 25% off) until 4th December. They will probably have something like a 50% off sale for some of their other plugins during Black Friday Sales period. Their Limiter is 50% off until the end of this month at Plugin Boutique.
Really, well observed, you are right!
Old 13th October 2019
  #52
This is a very well thought out gate. The closest thing I use to it is the SoundRadix Drum Leveler which has that extreme look ahead and breaking sounds frequencies up like some kind of sampling technology. The SoundRadix has the advantage of also sound leveling rather than compressing which is amazing for ghost notes. I am putting the Oxford first and then the SoundRadix second to level the track and also clean things up a little more. Finding this a very powerful combination.
Old 15th October 2019
  #53
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
The SoundRadix has the advantage of also sound leveling rather than compressing which is amazing for ghost notes. I am putting the Oxford first and then the SoundRadix second to level the track and also clean things up a little more. Finding this a very powerful combination.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting
Old 16th October 2019
  #54
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
What are the limitations of the demo? Sonnox website didn't mention anything, just a time limit.
Old 16th October 2019
  #55
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
What are the limitations of the demo? Sonnox website didn't mention anything, just a time limit.
Sonnox don't tend to have any limitations on their demos. Like you said - just the time limit.
Old 16th October 2019
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
What are the limitations of the demo? Sonnox website didn't mention anything, just a time limit.
The time limit is the limitation - otherwise the demo is fully functioning.

The plug-in you install when you take a demo of any Sonnox plug-in is the full installer, we just deposit a temporary licence to your iLok account rather than a non-expiring one
Old 16th October 2019
  #57
Here is a test sample of a live drum kit kick track. The first is dry - the second with the Oxford default Kick setting and the third with the SoundRadix Drum Leveler. What I like about the Oxford is it even got rid of the tom bleed. The Drum Leveler keeps the Kick level the same without compression - basically breaks it out like a sample and normalizes it in real time which keeps its nature transients and vibe.
Attached Files

Drums with no Gate.mp3 (455.1 KB, 1607 views)

Drums with Oxford Drum Gate.mp3 (455.1 KB, 1641 views)

Drums with Oxford Drum Gate and SoundRadix Leveler.mp3 (455.1 KB, 1641 views)

Old 16th October 2019
  #58
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
Here is a test sample of a live drum kit kick track. The first is dry - the second with the Oxford default Kick setting and the third with the SoundRadix Drum Leveler. What I like about the Oxford is it even got rid of the tom bleed. The Drum Leveler keeps the Kick level the same without compression - basically breaks it out like a sample and normalizes it in real time which keeps its nature transients and vibe.
Sounds great!

Have you tried our Drum Gate's Leveller section? It pulls each matched transient up or down towards the target level without modifying the transient envelope at all. Try clicking Auto Set if you're not sure how to set it up

If our Leveller doesn't quite do it for you feel free to send an email to support [at] sonnox [dot] com We would love to talk more!
Old 16th October 2019
  #59
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
Here is a test sample of a live drum kit kick track. The first is dry - the second with the Oxford default Kick setting and the third with the SoundRadix Drum Leveler. What I like about the Oxford is it even got rid of the tom bleed. The Drum Leveler keeps the Kick level the same without compression - basically breaks it out like a sample and normalizes it in real time which keeps its nature transients and vibe.
Have you tried the leveler in Sonnox it s pretty dope also , soundradix is great also ...
great exemples , i do think a simple gate after sonnox would have done it also lol
Or something like waves tools (can t recall , maxx level inthink or some)

Anyway thks for taking the time for those exemple ... it s rare to have threads around the actual plugin and its sound lol ...
Old 16th October 2019
  #60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Have you tried the leveler in Sonnox it s pretty dope also , soundradix is great also ...
great exemples , i do think a simple gate after sonnox would have done it also lol
Or something like waves tools (can t recall , maxx level inthink or some)

Anyway thks for taking the time for those exemple ... it s rare to have threads around the actual plugin and its sound lol ...
Yes I tried the Leveler in Sonnox and for some reason its not working as advertised - guess I have to get my head around the manual. The snare on the song was handled better and faster with the SoundRadix. I think the Sonnox must have some hidden controls I am not using. Not an expert by any means - just learning on the fly with new tools that save time and get great results for clients.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump