The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Apogee Launches Clearmountain’s Domain Plugin
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
You can rent to own for $16 per month direct for apogee just FYI
Thanks, wasn't aware of this. My biggest issue with the $350 price tag was that it felt like too high a gamble for my own definition of value. Would I still be using this a year from now? 6 months from now? With rent to own I guess I could just cut my losses and get out if this became forgotten among my collection of delay/space plugins.

At $175 (BF price if this were actually, you know, on sale as suggested) I'd consider the gamble a lot safer. Rent-to-own mitigates this problem to an extent.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Still gonna wait till Monday to see if perhaps this goes on sale due to feedback or a planned CM exclusive sale. Not my favorite method of dealing with sales considering I and many others are planning out our BF budgets over the next few days, but I suppose we're not exactly entitled to a specific price in a specific time frame.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Black Friday's not for another day. Maybe they're doing an actual black friday sale?
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Black Friday's not for another day. Maybe they're doing an actual black friday sale?
The title of their press release, in which every plugin besides Clearmountain's Domain is listed at 50% off, is "Black Friday Sale."

But I do get what you mean, which is why I'm holding off till Monday.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Thanks, wasn't aware of this. My biggest issue with the $350 price tag was that it felt like too high a gamble for my own definition of value. Would I still be using this a year from now? 6 months from now? With rent to own I guess I could just cut my losses and get out if this became forgotten among my collection of delay/space plugins.

At $175 (BF price if this were actually, you know, on sale as suggested) I'd consider the gamble a lot safer. Rent-to-own mitigates this problem to an extent.
That’s my feeling... and you can stop/start
Old 28th November 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
Also, keep an eye on our website during Black Friday/Cyber Monday...????
Still 349 Dollars ???
Maybe the offer is that the price did not go up?
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Nut
Apart from that ... the other plugins are fantastic as well. Well worth the money and very low on CPU. I like the Pultecs better than any other (and I have them all).
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f6fc2a4 View Post
Maybe the offer is that the price did not go up?
It actually went up. 15,99 x 22 = 351,78. So the new special offer of rent-to-own is more expensive.

Old 28th November 2019
Gear Maniac

The plugin has only just been released. It would be a real kick in the knackers to those of us who just bought it if Apogee now discounted it. Sometimes a company gets more respect when it okay a fair.
Old 28th November 2019
Quote:
You can rent to own for $16 per month direct for apogee just FYI
To put this in perspective.....

That's significantly more expensive for one plugin than the cost per month of Slate's All Access Pass, which is every product in their portfolio (approx 60 plugins + extras). Their Black Friday deal for that works out to $10.75 per month. I realize the former is rent to own and the latter is ongoing, but regardless, there is a dramatic contrast. You could basically rent 60 plugins for 3 years for roughly the price of this one plugin.

FYI I only own 2 Slate plugins, so please don't mistake this as me schilling for Slate - just using this as a comparative reference point re Apogee's pricing.

Last edited by bambamboom; 28th November 2019 at 11:52 PM..
Old 28th November 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post

That's significantly more expensive for one plugin than the cost per month of Slate's All Access Pass, which is every product in their portfolio (approx 60 plugins + extras). Their Black Friday deal for that works out to $10.75 per month. And even their regular price is still cheaper than the one Apogee plugin.

FYI I only own 2 Slate plugins, so please don't mistake this as me schilling for Slate - just using this as a comparative reference point re Apogee's pricing.
Yes but you do not own the Slate plugins once you have paid enough for
one or more...

A better comparison might be the new Pensando eq which does
something similar (ie encapsulates Pensado's gear and chain)
and has retail price almost identical to the Clearmountain one but sells at 50% off during intro period and BF sales period.

Of course I have no clue how good Pensado's plugin sounds while I do know that
the CMD is stellar...
Old 28th November 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
The plugin has only just been released. It would be a real kick in the knackers to those of us who just bought it if Apogee now discounted it. Sometimes a company gets more respect when it okay a fair.
It is a matter of economic supply and demand, much less so
about fairness. Some people will
never buy it at full price and are willing to wait for sales, possibly indefinitely
and especially if an equal value replacement product materializes.

Apogee stills wants their money though because
software and has near zero marginal production and selling costs.

If Apogee does not offer a discount then it will lose the revenue from
this class of potential customers. Other customers who can afford it
right away at this price point, Apogee wants to make sure will not take advantage of the sales period which would be lost revenue for the company.

And of course there is the reputation and good faith issues
surrounding broken promises which in the long run surely translate to
lost revenue via loss of repeat buys, loss of upselling, poor word of mouth marketing, etc.
Old 29th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
I actually never complained about the price. They can have whatever price they want. I just thought it was really funny and strange to reply in this thread to the people who discussed the pricing, telling them that they should check in again during Black Friday. That's confusing business strategies... But we'll see tomorrow if they discount it as well - maybe they just wanted to see what the reactions would be before they decide what to do. Maybe itt's their way to do market research..?
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's significantly more expensive for one plugin than the cost per month of Slate's All Access Pass, which is every product in their portfolio (approx 60 plugins + extras). Their Black Friday deal for that works out to $10.75 per month. I realize the former is rent to own and the latter is ongoing, but regardless, there is a dramatic contrast. You could basically rent 60 plugins for 3 years for roughly the price of this one plugin.

I would agree, sort of... BUT... for those of us (at least in the US) that do this professionally, monthly subscriptions are a helluva lot sexier come tax time versus buying SW.

And, it’s not apples to oranges as you describe it anyway... slate (of whom I am a Happy subscriber) is strictly a rental deal... the apogee is a rent to own with, like, a two dollar service fee.

If this was a rental for $15 a month and you never got a forever license... I dunno, if I dig it it doesn’t make a difference to me if I own a license in two years or not...
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

I picked it up today, because, well... that’s how I do.

Anyhow... it sounds gorgeous. I thought there would be more presets based on his discography, but, I don’t care so much about that.

If you already know what you’re doing and own all of the “go to” studio mainstay plugins and/or some of the time/space outboard you definitely don’t need this.

That being said, it’s nice to have everything in one incredible and sensibly laid out interface... and I strangely appreciate the aesthetic (simple graphics you might just as easily to expect to find on a piece of digital outboard gear) as opposed to photo realistic pots and switches.

Again, it sounds great...
Old 1st December 2019
Gear Addict

Now on sale!!!!
Old 1st December 2019
Gear Addict

Here is the email I got
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Apogee Launches Clearmountain’s Domain Plugin-19dfd8eb-529d-489d-8890-f92160dc9a64.jpg  
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDroste View Post
Here is the email I got
Does that 'buy now' link work? Does it take you to a sale page?

I signed up to their newsletter last week but haven't gotten anything from them. It still seems to be regular price on their website.
Old 2nd December 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Does that 'buy now' link work? Does it take you to a sale page?

I signed up to their newsletter last week but haven't gotten anything from them. It still seems to be regular price on their website.
it says "cybermonday only"
Old 2nd December 2019
it's 269USD on Apogee's site today.
Old 2nd December 2019
Gear Guru
Apogee as a company loves subscriptions....... Personally I hate that....
Old 4 weeks ago
It’s a real cool plugin and sounds great. It has some tricky routing under the hood that would indeed be difficult itb. I could however get something kinda close with bc patchwork and a bunch of plugins. I’ve often thought about setting that up. The inter plugin routing couldn’t be as complex because it’s just in parallel and you’d have to open a lot of windows to fiddle with wet/dry balance. But you have zero limitations on what plugins and formats you wanted to use. You can also make something similar with snapheap or effects chains with macros in Ableton.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
They look like Yamaha MSP7 to me.
I wonder if he really ditched the NS10s. That would be big!
I noticed that too! Makes me feel better about me holding on to my MSP7's for dear life! Sleeper speakers for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehalph View Post
Is the price a bad joke?
Hmmm, I don't think they are targeting the highly budget minded individual.

I actually don't want a plug in developer to be super worried about whether the price will scare me off. Just make it sound as good as possible, keep it easy to use so I can get a great sound quick, then charge me what that costs. We do exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicStrike View Post
I Am not so convinced about this plugin...

Is not bad at all..it is pretty Cool...but just I do not feel is something totally impossible to do with a bunch of other Plugins.....

The biggest turn off is what this plugin Delivers for the price...

at a lower price I would say is pretty cool...
I see value in getting a really great sound really fast. I'm surprised so many people see value in stacking and routing a bunch of plugs to accomplish this kind of work.

Would be interested to see a diagram or video walkthrough of how someone is doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i dig mr clearmountain's new twist on things!

not saying this tool is a emulation of eventides but it seems to allow somewhat similar sonic landscapes - and then some!

this looks very accessible, is possibly much faster to work with and get pleasing results than patching/tweaking on end on multiple devices and certainly lots of fun!
I am loving Clearmountain's plug for vocal tracking. I track my own vocals, and can pretty much straight away get that massive sounding Bryan Adams vibe (big fan, so I love that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Anyway...what interested me about the plug-in is workflow, especially whilst tracking. Nice simple interface and ganging of controls/features. Basically a shortcut to a great sound so I can focus on the instruments when building up the session.
This was experience, definitely. This can really do a lot while keeping the workflow simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixShmix View Post
Yeah... what he said.
Bob, this is giving me such a beautiful vocal sound. I did a run through of a track, modified the run to you vocal setting a bit, then played it back about ten times. Wow.

This helped me get over a creative hump, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicLantern View Post
Wow, every process in this plugin sounds absolutely beautiful. Bravo!
It has so many possibilities, and everything sounds very polished. I've heard, used, and experience so much of what is available. NEVER expected anything to sound this good. Such a smart way of giving quick control to all these sounds.

Quote:

I mean, I don't want 60 plug ins. I do have outboard pieces that most people probably don't own, so I am probably less reliant on plugs than most. What I like plugs for are reverb, delay, and the kind or processing that Clearmountain's plug provides.

Not everything is intended for everyone. If you must have as many plug ins as possible for as little as possible, as you say, there's other companies already playing that game.

And what Slate charges has nothing to do with Apogee's development costs or Bob's time. I don't know how Apogee is getting this plug to sound the way it does, but Bob's collaboration appears to have had the intended effect.

Quote:

That being said, it’s nice to have everything in one incredible and sensibly laid out interface... and I strangely appreciate the aesthetic (simple graphics you might just as easily to expect to find on a piece of digital outboard gear) as opposed to photo realistic pots and switches.

Again, it sounds great...
I agree, so simple, sounds so good, and unlike most plugs, I find every parameter is effective, useful, and sounds good even at the more extreme settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 View Post
It’s a real cool plugin and sounds great. It has some tricky routing under the hood that would indeed be difficult itb. I could however get something kinda close with bc patchwork and a bunch of plugins. I’ve often thought about setting that up. The inter plugin routing couldn’t be as complex because it’s just in parallel and you’d have to open a lot of windows to fiddle with wet/dry balance. But you have zero limitations on what plugins and formats you wanted to use. You can also make something similar with snapheap or effects chains with macros in Ableton.
That makes sense, but there's no way I want to deal with all of that. That's a lot of management time for sound design.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search