The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Apogee Launches Clearmountain’s Domain Plugin
Old 3rd November 2019
Gear Head

14 days .
Old 4th November 2019
Looks interesting on its technical merits, however.......

IMHO Apogee really missed the mark on pricing.

Take a look at Waves' pricing on their signature series plugins.

CLA signature series (which is actually quite good) is $59 right now. Most of their other signature bundles are $99.

At $99 I'd consider it. Zero chance at $349. That's me. YMMV.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Addict

Way too pricey for me too.
I would consider $150-$200.

Since I’m PC, at least I can’t be tempted for now
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
Way too pricey for me too.
I would consider $150-$200.

Since I’m PC, at least I can’t be tempted for now
Yeah I'm on a PC and still awaiting the version for Windows users which has been promised later this month. Then I will demo and see.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
What’s your opinion after two weeks!? Worth the price tag?
It’s pretty cool but I don’t need to spend that money.
Pass.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

(some of) you folks are a strange brew:

you easily spend thousands on all other sorts of gear but start whining when a (pretty clever) plugin isn't dirt cheap?! maybe try to recreate some of the sounds with your existing gear and then count money and how much time it takes you (if you come close at all)? - imo it's worth much more than the current price: don't blame the man if you don't get to mix music for which you could use it...

we had the same pointless discuss before with the weiss plugin (also highly recommended) and lexicon pcm bundle - mr clearmountain's new creation is not a mere porting into the realms of plugins though but genuine and innovative: 'kingdom of desire', 'come talk to me', 'miracle', 'sleepless' etc. for all of us :-)

___

p.s. not that it matters considering the achievements of mr. massenburg but to put things into a bit more personal perspective: i'm mixing on desks and outboard (both digital) and therefore hardly ever use plugins - those few i value ('cause they are NOT yet another incarnation of some retro-gear but do something in an unrivalled way) are from weiss, jünger, cedar, algorithmix, hopefully mr. massenburg's dynamic tool one day (in the not so far future) and this new offering from mr. clearmountain - many thx!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 5th November 2019 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: edited twice and p.s. added
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru
I wonder given the release announcement if this isn't an all in one offering to the educational market? Obviously useful otherwise but the pricetag makes a lot of sense as BC's studio in a box. Install and away you go with sculpting from the man himself. Figure they can always discount later...... If it's a time saver that's an hour of studio time to buy it......
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

you easily spend thousands on all other sorts of gear but start whining when a (pretty clever) plugin isn't dirt cheap?! maybe try to recreate some of the sounds with your existing gear and then count money and how much time it takes you (if you come close at all)?

imo it's worth much more than the current price: don't blame the man if you don't get to mix music for which you could use it...
By that same logic, everyone should own a Slate VMS modeling mic.

Yet I don't.
Value is in the eyes of the beholder.
Sorry for being "strange".
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
By that same logic, everyone should own a Slate VMS modeling mic.

Yet I don't.
Value is in the eyes of the beholder.
Sorry for being "strange".
wrong again: the slate never achieves what it claims to do (which can easily be demonstarted by comparing it to a high quality original mic) while clearmountain's domain does a lot (as anyone who's ever used an eventide can confirm) - but maybe you're much smarter than me and i just don't get it...
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

tested it for 14 days. It sounds very good indeed. However some presets, - maybe due to convolution technology,- don't glue that good??. Sometimes it sounds like there is a separation between the dry and the wet signal. Some presets however sound very good. It has a destinctive sound, it has a fingerprint and character - Intro price? Black-Friday?
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
tested it for 14 days. It sounds very good indeed. However some presets, - maybe due to convolution technology,- don't glue that good??. Sometimes it sounds like there is a separation between the dry and the wet signal. Some presets however sound very good. It has a destinctive sound, it has a fingerprint and character - Intro price? Black-Friday?
It would be nice for a Black Friday discount but mainly wanting to hear news about the version for Windows users.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

Spank me again “Daddy!” You know I like it rough.
Thank god you’re here to keep us all in check.

Quote:

you easily spend thousands on all other sorts of gear but start whining when a (pretty clever) plugin isn't dirt cheap?! maybe try to recreate some of the sounds with your existing gear and then count money and how much time it takes you (if you come close at all)? - imo it's worth much more than the current price: don't blame the man if you don't get to mix music for which you could use it...

we had the same pointless discuss before with the weiss plugin (also highly recommended) and lexicon pcm bundle - mr clearmountain's new creation is not a mere porting into the realms of plugins though but genuine and innovative: 'kingdom of desire', 'come talk to me', 'miracle', 'sleepless' etc. for all of us :-)

___

p.s. not that it matters considering the achievements of mr. massenburg but to put things into a bit more personal perspective: i'm mixing on desks and outboard (both digital) and therefore hardly ever use plugins - those few i value ('cause they are NOT yet another incarnation of some retro-gear but do something in an unrivalled way) are from weiss, jünger, cedar, algorithmix, hopefully mr. massenburg's dynamic tool one day (in the not so far future) and this new offering from mr. clearmountain - many thx!
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

I´m absolutely impressed by the sound and it will help me a lot .

And i find i "strange" to ask other people if it is worth ..... i´m a hobbiest and this is absolutely stunning and worth.
Old 18th November 2019
Motown legend

I just heard the same from one of my mastering clients!
Old 18th November 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
The sound of this plugin is simply jaw-dropping. It needs to be mixed in with moderation and some tweaks occasionally, but it is nothing less than amazing!

I cannot comprehend why this stunner has not gotten more
attention here at GS.
Old 18th November 2019
Quote:
wrong again: the slate never achieves what it claims to do (which can easily be demonstarted by comparing it to a high quality original mic) while clearmountain's domain does a lot (as anyone who's ever used an eventide can confirm) - but maybe you're much smarter than me and i just don't get it...
Hi,

You missed the point I was trying to make (using Slate mic as an example). The point had nothing to do with the merits (or not) of that product at all. As I mentioned, I don't even own/use it.

My point was: you were chastising several of us for not coming to your conclusion that this product was worth much more than its listed price. That's no different from the marketing of a modeling mic.... "get tens of thousands of dollars worth of microphones at your fingertips for $$$". It's just the same tired marketing strategy that gets repeated ad nauseam.

I don't understand why this Apogee plugin needs your defense. A bunch of us think it is cool but overpriced. Apogee seems to be going with a higher margin/lower volume strategy vs the likes of Waves with their discounted signature bundles that are 6x less expensive, operating on a higher volume lower margin strategy.

It clearly resonates with you, and you believe the price is right, so by all means, enjoy it. For those of us who feel otherwise, don't worry, we'll be just fine.
Old 18th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post

I cannot comprehend why this stunner has not gotten more
attention here at GS.
I'd say it's gotten reasonable attention. But also realize the average user of this forum (majority of which are not full time pros) may have a hard time justifying $350 for one plugin, from a vendor who has not been traditionally one of the big players in the plugin industry. And the pros will have an even tougher time affording it....
.... exit stage left...
Old 19th November 2019
Apogee

Hi All

Roger from Apogee here.

We were pleased to announce the release of Clearmountain's Domain for Windows last Tuesday, November 12th!

Thank you all for the great comments about Bob's plugin. He was closely involved with every single aspect of development - he placed the mics for every impulse response, tweaked every EQ curve, created the signal path... in short, you'll hear his sonic fingerprint clearly in this plugin.

Also, keep an eye on our website during Black Friday/Cyber Monday...
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robindore View Post
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
Hi,

You missed the point I was trying to make (using Slate mic as an example). The point had nothing to do with the merits (or not) of that product at all. As I mentioned, I don't even own/use it.

My point was: you were chastising several of us for not coming to your conclusion that this product was worth much more than its listed price. That's no different from the marketing of a modeling mic.... "get tens of thousands of dollars worth of microphones at your fingertips for $$$". It's just the same tired marketing strategy that gets repeated ad nauseam.

I don't understand why this Apogee plugin needs your defense. A bunch of us think it is cool but overpriced. Apogee seems to be going with a higher margin/lower volume strategy vs the likes of Waves with their discounted signature bundles that are 6x less expensive, operating on a higher volume lower margin strategy.

It clearly resonates with you, and you believe the price is right, so by all means, enjoy it. For those of us who feel otherwise, don't worry, we'll be just fine.

guess we're not talking the same language:

what bugs me it that EVERYTIME a somewhat more expensive plugin (or other piece of gear btw) comes out, many folks start whining (if not screaming)...

of course a higher price hurts everyone (some more, others a bit less) - my point is that when you start experimenting what it takes to emulate this plugin, i'm convinced that everyone will have to agree that this is not which can easily be achieved by putting on just about any other tool but it takes a whole bunch of processors to get just anywhere close; it's not collection of custom presets of an otherwise largely known single process (or that a big name engineer was paid to come up with some of his/her settings of a standard process): it's a multi efx device (and unique)!

THIS is what imo justifies the higher price; not that mr clearmountain/apogee developed it or that i like it...
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi All

Roger from Apogee here.

We were pleased to announce the release of Clearmountain's Domain for Windows last Tuesday, November 12th!

Thank you all for the great comments about Bob's plugin. He was closely involved with every single aspect of development - he placed the mics for every impulse response, tweaked every EQ curve, created the signal path... in short, you'll hear his sonic fingerprint clearly in this plugin.

Nice - I think they missed on the price...
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
So... I see you offer 50% off all plugins except Clearmountain’s Domain. ?
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzettervall View Post
So... I see you offer 50% off all plugins except Clearmountain’s Domain. ?
Yeah the email from Apogee with BF deals was disappointing. So far ......
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Head

Talking funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Yeah the email from Apogee with BF deals was disappointing. So far ......
I find it a bit funny when they wrote in THIS particular thread to check in for their Black Friday deals, and when it comes, this is the ONLY plugin that does’nt get a discount. It sounded like a response to the people discussing the price on this particular plugin but that was obviously a joke, haha!
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzettervall View Post
I find it a bit funny when they wrote in THIS particular thread to check in for their Black Friday deals, and when it comes, this is the ONLY plugin that does’nt get a discount. It sounded like a response to the people discussing the price on this particular plugin but that was obviously a joke, haha!
Yeah, funny is a kind reaction if it turns out there is no BF deal on this.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi All

Roger from Apogee here.

Some clarification about Black Friday & Cyber Monday would be nice. Is the current sale the same one we'll be seeing on Friday and Monday?
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

It is "funny" because if you look at the iMac screen in the Apogee BF promo there is the Clearmountain Domain Home/Visualizer screen in the top left hand corner:

https://apogeedigital.com/home-featu...s/black-friday
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

You can rent to own for $16 per month direct for apogee just FYI
Old 28th November 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
You can rent to own for $16 per month direct for apogee just FYI
I think that the rent to own option is so much better than
a subscription (rent) option.

However the whole point is that this is indeed a very expensive
plugin and that a promise was made for a BF discount that
does not seem to be honored.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

Also, keep an eye on our website during Black Friday/Cyber Monday...????
Still 349 Dollars ???
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search