The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Burl BAD4M / BMB6
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hardware Burl BAD4M / BMB6

BURL Audio is releasing 2 new cards for the B80 and B16 MOTHERSHIPs this fall.

Announcing the BAD4M, a mastering grade, 4-channel ADC daughter card for the B80 and B16 MOTHERSHIP with stepped attenuators and switchable input transformers. Specifically designed for mixing and mastering, the BAD4M uses the latest BURL NextGen analog technology for superior fidelity and clarity.

Also announcing the BMB6. The BMB6 features 8 channels of AES/EBU I/O connectivity. Designed exclusively for the B16, the BMB6 provides an easy interface to any AES/EBU device. If you don’t need high channel count, the B16 with the BMB6 is a great way to go.
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yay Burl!
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear
Which AES card is compatible? RME AESe 16?
Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi View Post
Which AES card is compatible? RME AESe 16?
Thanks
It will work with both AES cards. You can't go wrong with either.

I got word from @burlaudio on IG that the BMB6 is exclusive to the B16 and will not work with the B80.
Old 27th October 2019
Old 26th November 2019
In a mastering context I compared my standard BAD4 input (same circuit as B2 ADC sans attenuator) vs the BAD4M with no jumpers set. My BAD4M has one pair of BOPA14 op amps and one pair of BOPA11.

BAD4M/BX1 sounds fairly close to the BAD4 with a similar bottom end, slightly less of the BAD4's full low mid roundness, but crisper highs. More snap in the snare, more sibilance. Different transformer sound, but very nice. I believe this is the same sound as the BAD8 which I have never heard.

BAD4M/BOPA11 sounds tight/punchy in the lows but obviously less power down there than BX1. Crispy highs and relatively scooped mids.

BAD4M/BOPA14 sounds similar to BOPA11 but with a little more of a midrange focus and a little less top end. Still plenty of clarity and nice balance. 'Liking this a lot.

All of these sound fantastic in different ways.

I noticed that every time I switched to either of the transformer options (BAD4M/BX1 or BAD4) I automatically wanted to move to the music more than with either of the op amp options. They've got "groove factor". The width/depth is nicer. They are my initial favorites. Though there's nothing I can criticize about the op amp options, they sound fantastic. I bet for different genres different options might win out.

BAD4M/BX1 seems like a really great overall sound because it has the groove factor and more clarity in the highs than the BAD4. But the BAD4 is such a badass in the mids, and it's smoothness in the highs is so un-fatiguing...

I think a lot of people will prefer the op amp flavors for various reasons. It'll depend on the application and their tastes. Some people are high frequency focused and the crisper the better for them. To me it's the mids and lows where the emotion is in music...

Having all these awesome options at my fingertips is really nice. And of course the attenuators!

Last edited by Trakworx; 26th November 2019 at 06:57 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search