The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cableguys ShaperBox 2 – New Pens, visual compression, envelope followers + more
Old 25th September 2019
Here for the gear

Software Cableguys ShaperBox 2 – New Pens, visual compression, envelope followers + more

ShaperBox 2 is here! With all-new versions of five powerful Cableguys effects – TimeShaper 2, VolumeShaper 6, FilterShaper Core 2, PanShaper 3, and WidthShaper 2 – ShaperBox 2 is the state-of-the-art effects plugin for modern mixes and infinite inspiration.

Almost 3 years in the making, we’ve powered-up our Shapers in every way, from improved DSP and smoother graphics, to faster editing and workflows, and of course, tons of new effects possibilities.

The plugin is already in use by artists and producers as diverse as David Guetta, Ferry Corsten, Jauz, Deniz Koyu, Morgan Page, Showtek, BT, Wallis Lane (Drake, Post Malone, Travis Scott), AnonXmous (Timbaland, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj), Mark Byrd (Kanye West, 2 Chainz, Travis Scott), Mark Ralph (Clean Bandit, Hot Chip, Jax Jones), Hussein (808 Mafia), Nard & B (Future, Migos, Lil Uzi Vert), and Rik Simpson (Coldplay, Jay-Z, Kasabian).

“ShaperBox 2 is a masterpiece of simplicity of use and complexity of sound. In my daily arsenal.” – BT

We can’t wait for you to try exciting new features like our best ever waveform editing with Pens for super-fast drawing, punchy visual compression in VolumeShaper 6, flexible Envelope Followers, preset Packs for ultra-rapid creativity… And much more besides.

All new ShaperBox 2 features in detail

Powerful Pens
Designing your dream ShaperBox LFO has never been easier! Grab three powerful, easy-to-grasp Pens and draw crisp lines, smooth arcs and flowing S-curves directly into the LFO waveform editing area. Redraw transients in a click, rapidly build rhythmic patterns, and more. Switch back to classic single-node editing anytime.

Flexible envelope followers
Filter, Pan and Width Shapers can now react automatically to the dynamics of your beats, loops, melodies – anything. Make filters open with each snare hit. Widen synths as they grow louder. Pan percussion dynamically. Use internal filtering to focus the response, and trigger from other tracks using sidechain routing.

Visual compression
With a high-quality, British-inspired compressor now inside VolumeShaper 6, you can dial in perfect punch and multiband control for drums, basslines, vocals and more. Still not perfect? Grab a Pen and refine the gain curve till it is, with the compression shown on the same large graph as your volume edits.

Pumped-up filters
Use 3 filters at once with multiband mode now in FilterShaper Core 2. Dive in deep with 8 lush Phaser modes, with up to 8 peaks/notches. And experience even more fluid, analogue-like response with zero-delay feedback (ZDF) designs for all resonant filters, and internal saturation and resonance compensation for Clean filters.

Mighty Fine Mode
Manipulate time on a microscopic level with TimeShaper 2’s new Fine Mode. Choose from 3 range settings: 2.5, 10 and 20ms. Create vintage vinyl pitch wobbles and subtle retro tape flutter. Mix in the dry signal to create huge flanger swooshes and crisp chorus effects.

The Haas effect
Blend regular and Haas panning right inside PanShaper 3. Using ultra-short delays, Haas panning creates a rich illusion of stereo placement while maintaining a full sound in both speakers. Create the perfect stereo balance – or go extreme for pitchbending Doppler effects.

Quick Presets
Work faster than ever with 1-click Quick Presets right on ShaperBox 2’s startup screen, giving instant access to production essentials like mono bass and sidechain ducking. Just add ShaperBox, click and create.

Packs of Inspiration
Want that perfect creative stutter? Need a pro compressor setup for your drum bus? Scratches or tape-stops for a fill? There’s a Pack for that! From Compression Toolbox and Sidechain City’s essential studio settings, to the wild sound-warps of Instant Remix and Simple Stutter, each Pack is a curated collection of the very best presets for that task.

PLUS:
• Redesigned interface with larger editing areas
• Retina/HiDPI support for crisper, clearer graphics
• Clearer oscilloscope waveforms
• Magnitude mode for easy Envelope Follower setup
• Smoother, more accurate spectrum view
• Dedicated selection tool for multi-node editing
• 2x button – double up patterns with a click
• Trigger Smoothing to reduce clicks when MIDI Triggering
• Increased band-split range, now from 20Hz-20kHz
• External sidechaining and internal filters for Envelope Followers
• Envelope Follower Threshold – exclude quiet signals from triggering the envelope
• Depth x2/x4/x8 for Envelope, to amplify modulation strength
• Steep 24dB multiband crossovers join the classic 6 and 12dB models, for even greater precision.
• Output Gain control in VolumeShaper 6 – ideal for transient boosting

Pricing:

ShaperBox 2 Bundle, €89 / $99 (contains all Shapers, saves 42%)
• TimeShaper 2, €39 / $44
• FilterShaper Core 2, €39 / $44
• VolumeShaper 6, €29 / $34
• PanShaper 3, €29 / $34
• WidthShaper 2, €19 / $24
• Upgrades from €10 / $11

Find out more, buy it now and try the free demo

Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh wow.

ShaperBox 2.

That's quite a lot of new features. I need time to absorb all of this.

I already find this plugin deep to use, and usually just stumble on to experimental things. I will be upgrading.

Edit: A question I've always wanted to ask an existing user.

Do you put this on your Master Buss? Or do you group certain tracks towards the effect?
Old 26th September 2019
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
That's a great upgrade. Already used it on some projects today. My uses are putting it on group bus in siedchain mode.
On single track doing some gating (trance gate).
Also getting some movement into synthesizer tracks by using modulated filter additionally triggered by the envelope follower worked quite well.
The compressor is also handy, used a siedchain curve with compressor on a bass track made me save some time. Have to explore this further.
The multiband filter upgrade is also very welcome and alltogether the UI looks more professional.
30€ upgrade from shaper box 1 was a customer friendly move and for me a no brainer.
Thanks cable guys.
Old 26th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Oh wow.

ShaperBox 2.

That's quite a lot of new features. I need time to absorb all of this.

I already find this plugin deep to use, and usually just stumble on to experimental things. I will be upgrading.

Edit: A question I've always wanted to ask an existing user.

Do you put this on your Master Buss? Or do you group certain tracks towards the effect?
I don't really think of it like that, I think during production if I want something to sound a certain way or the sound to do something in particular what tool to use whether it be an individual track, group bus or even mix bus...

Basically I just find them so quick and easy compared to automating or routing other chains of plugins to achieve the same results.

But yeah, as you said they are also great for just completely experimenting with and I have always loved the fact they have multi-band functionality.
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
That's a great upgrade. Already used it on some projects today. My uses are putting it on group bus in siedchain mode.
On single track doing some gating (trance gate).
Also getting some movement into synthesizer tracks by using modulated filter additionally triggered by the envelope follower worked quite well.
The compressor is also handy, used a siedchain curve with compressor on a bass track made me save some time. Have to explore this further.
The multiband filter upgrade is also very welcome and alltogether the UI looks more professional.
30€ upgrade from shaper box 1 was a customer friendly move and for me a no brainer.
Thanks cable guys.
These are great tips from you and @ Neptune45 .

I think this can find a place on any song if/when you know what you are doing and are able to use it in a utilitarian sense you you suggest. I haven't gotten that far with it yet!

Neptune45, the Multiband, imo, is the absolute best feature in this device. It opens up possibility triplefold.

So far, my approach to Shaperbox, was to know that I wanted that kind of sound for the tune in advance, because not all my of tunes use any sort of glitchiness or modulation.

It's sorta like. OK I know I want a heavily frequency/tempo modulated tune. So I throw down a quick synth loop or melody, and immediately throw Shaper onto a buss, and try to get it to work in a beat format. I let Shaper dictate what I write by the way it responds. Then I write other sounds around that.
Old 27th September 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah don’t think I’ll bother with the update either
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
anyone tried out this new version and had a better performace on the cpu ?

I use the shaper box 1 all the time but I do find that the graphics do really pull on the system - I will pay the upgrade if they have sorted that bit out

however I will say this ... COME ON GUYS give it to us for free - if we bought the first one then you should give us a free upgrade - this whole
software buisiness needs its model changed ... there are companies who offer a free upgrade when the update things .... this is not like hardware
where you get a good resale price and asking for more money for a simple upgrade for basically the same thing is not really a good model.

if a user has bought the item with its pretty bad cpu hit because the graphics have not been optimised then why are we expected to pay again just to have that fixed

sure you have put some extra features on but its still the same item basically - 5 diff effects - the same ones with some extra functions

the ONLY reason i will pay to upgrade is so my fans stop buzzing when the graphics cpu hit happens - should this be free to people who have paid $99 already ? YES
Yeah, change the present business model, which seems to be, that the developers have 50-90 % sales going on constantly (Waves as a typical example).
We need everything free. Developers can take a proper day job to survive.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
anyone tried out this new version and had a better performace on the cpu ?

I use the shaper box 1 all the time but I do find that the graphics do really pull on the system - I will pay the upgrade if they have sorted that bit out

however I will say this ... COME ON GUYS give it to us for free - if we bought the first one then you should give us a free upgrade - this whole
software buisiness needs its model changed ... there are companies who offer a free upgrade when the update things .... this is not like hardware
where you get a good resale price and asking for more money for a simple upgrade for basically the same thing is not really a good model.

if a user has bought the item with its pretty bad cpu hit because the graphics have not been optimised then why are we expected to pay again just to have that fixed

sure you have put some extra features on but its still the same item basically - 5 diff effects - the same ones with some extra functions

the ONLY reason i will pay to upgrade is so my fans stop buzzing when the graphics cpu hit happens - should this be free to people who have paid $99 already ? YES
Are you on PC?

I have never had any GPU issues on Mac. It's not like I keep the window open all the time.

And the update cost, to me is not that bad. They have added a ton of features.

If the graphics are bugged for you, I agree you should not have to pay for that sort of fix.
Old 27th September 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No VST3?
Old 27th September 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ajscent no offense to you, but do you work for free? how do you pay the rent? it's honestly a bit insulting for developers what you write here.

peace
Old 28th September 2019
Lives for gear

del the other ones - quick one from me - yes bought update - works very well on a 2019 macbook pro - interface is a bit better looking , big changes are cpu usage is better and that the immediate thing from me was that the thing is far better reactive wise - ie you can draw around on it far better - you notice this immediately and it is much nicer.
I would like to see the volume colour changed - there is a yellow curve line - and you have a white dot moving along the yellow line to illustrate the movement of the volume - You simply cannot see it - I had the same problem with the shaperbox 1 - white dot on yellow is no good - it needs to be red.
All in all its an improvement.
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Cables, I want to upgrade but not now.

I apologize if overlooked
but do we have provided upgrade path in account permanently
or is it time limited i.e. on price ?
Old 28th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
Hi Cables, I want to upgrade but not now.

I apologize if overlooked
but do we have provided upgrade path in account permanently
or is it time limited i.e. on price ?
Hi! The prices shown are not time-limited deals – they are the regular prices
Old 28th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It's sorta like. OK I know I want a heavily frequency/tempo modulated tune. So I throw down a quick synth loop or melody, and immediately throw Shaper onto a buss, and try to get it to work in a beat format. I let Shaper dictate what I write by the way it responds. Then I write other sounds around that.
We love this approach! So awesome to hear that ShaperBox 2 is inspiring you in this way
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beautiful upgrade. I'm a tad bummed that it's an entire new plugin though. How can I import my presets from ShaperBox 1.x?

Also, is there a way for me to set one of my own presets for Startup?
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely picking this up. Cableguys delivering as per usual.
Old 29th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Beautiful upgrade. I'm a tad bummed that it's an entire new plugin though. How can I import my presets from ShaperBox 1.x?

Yes I bought as I love the first version, however I didn't know it was a entirely new product. I wish I could just load old projects and it would over write the old projects. I'll live though I'll just keep both installed for now.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
In ShaperBox 1, make sure your presets are Synced (they can still be Private), and then Sync ShaperBox 2.

Quote:
You can set a Startup preset in the Main Menu (three lines button next to ShaperBox 2 logo), choosing from the default or Quick Presets for any Shaper. You cannot set a custom preset of your own, however.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cableguys View Post
In ShaperBox 1, make sure your presets are Synced (they can still be Private), and then Sync ShaperBox 2.

You can set a Startup preset in the Main Menu (three lines button next to ShaperBox 2 logo), choosing from the default or Quick Presets for any Shaper. You cannot set a custom preset of your own, however.
Thanks so much Lee. Please consider allowing us to set our own preset as default. I'll use Cubase to do this for now as I have done in the past, but having the plugin do it makes the setup cross-DAW compatible (I use both Cubase and Ableton Live so that's handy).
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I upgraded because it didn't cost that much and to support the devs. I would like to ask for the option to have shaperbox open ONLY with the shapers i own. I don't own them all and every time i have to select the appropriate filters for the presets browser.

Keep it up!
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same, I upgraded as it’s a great product, good developers, aren’t asking me for a subscription service and great upgrade prices! Thanks !
Old 2nd October 2019
Quote:
Almost 3 years in the making, we’ve powered-up our Shapers in every way, from improved DSP and smoother graphics, to faster editing and workflows, and of course, tons of new effects possibilities.
This is an awesome update to an awesome product, I insta-bought

There is a lot going on here though, a manual would be very be welcome.
Old 2nd October 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
This is an awesome update to an awesome product, I insta-bought

There is a lot going on here though, a manual would be very be welcome.
There is a full manual You can access it from the Main Menu (3 lines button), and the link is also in the manual.txt file with the installer: https://www.cableguys.com/shaperbox-tutorials.html
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear
I remember the ShaperBox was not respecting the delay compensation so the curves were always out of time unless you manually offset them, which not always was possible to be aligned properly. Is this fixed? I stopped using this tool because of this problem.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I remember the ShaperBox was not respecting the delay compensation so the curves were always out of time unless you manually offset them, which not always was possible to be aligned properly. Is this fixed? I stopped using this tool because of this problem.
What DAW are you using them in?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
What DAW are you using them in?
Ableton
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
This is an issue with the host DAW, not ShaperBox. Ableton Live is the main offender: it correctly compensates audio and MIDI data – but it does not compensate the song position data that it sends to plugins such as ShaperBox. So if you add plugins that induce latency, plugins that rely on this data to stay in time can go a little (or a lot!) off the beat. This affects all plugins relying on this data, not just ShaperBox. We first reported this issue to Ableton in 2011, and it remains unresolved.

As a workaround, you can offset the curve manually with the left/right arrows (hold Shift for fine adjustment).

But the better solution by far is to trigger the LFO with MIDI (MIDI Trigger set to "On" or "On (1-Shot)"). Because MIDI is compensated by Ableton Live, the timing stays solid.
Lives for gear
Quote:
As a workaround, you can offset the curve manually with the left/right arrows (hold Shift for fine adjustment).

But the better solution by far is to trigger the LFO with MIDI (MIDI Trigger set to "On" or "On (1-Shot)"). Because MIDI is compensated by Ableton Live, the timing stays solid.
I see, thank you for the explanation! The MIDI Trigger sounds useful.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always have to sync presets for shaperbox 1 to work. On every instance it seems, and sometimes on the same instance when reopening the plugin.
The LFO shapes will show up but the sound won’t be affected.
Is this still the same in shaperbox 2?
Quote:
There is a full manual You can access it from the Main Menu (3 lines button), and the link is also in the manual.txt file with the installer: https://www.cableguys.com/shaperbox-tutorials.html
So there is! I was digging, unsuccessfully, around the website. Thanks!
📝 Reply