The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 3 weeks ago
  #901
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
For mix bus duties, Pulsar Mu is something I would probably dial the mix control down on, even if I placed it on early and mixed into it, as well as not hitting more than 2 dB max.
Yes that is probably not a bad idea to use the mix knob in here.
I never felt it worked out as my main mixbus compressor imho (I mean it did, but it is very rare when it happens).
I very often favor Vertigo VSC-3 for mixbus (plugin-wise as I have not found a nice Vari-Mu plugin that convinced me to replace the Thermionik Phoenix yet).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #902
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Yes that is probably not a bad idea to use the mix knob in here.
I never felt it worked out as my main mixbus compressor imho (I mean it did, but it is very rare when it happens).
I very often favor Vertigo VSC-3 for mixbus (plugin-wise as I have not found a nice Vari-Mu plugin that convinced me to replace the Thermionik Phoenix yet).
I tend to stick with VCA compressors myself, whether software or hardware. More often than not, they just sound the most appropriate, and depending on the compressor, you can push them a bit harder if you want to, and still get great sounding results, especially if you're mixing into it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #903
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I am very sorry if you felt I was hating, I am cleeeeearly not I can assure you. As you stated, I have other stuff to do than hating an innocent person that did nothing wrong. As for example : Mixing, since I am also making a living out of this.

So again, accept my real sincere apologies if you felt insulted or hated in any way, I did not meant anything like this .
Oh no problem.

I did not interpret any hate being directed toward me, just the whole Pensado situation.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #904
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I tend to stick with VCA compressors myself, whether software or hardware. More often than not, they just sound the most appropriate, and depending on the compressor, you can push them a bit harder if you want to, and still get great sounding results, especially if you're mixing into it.
Agree ! Also you are right my time will be more useful not bashing Pensado stuff haha. I stand corrected !


Yes me too in the end. Although I really like VariMu outboards for their tone enhancing and natural limiting when they are pushed.
But it's true than a Alan Smart C2 is hard to beat on the mixbus most of the time .

I think Mu combined with Spectre could provide something similar to the embellishment of a good outboard Varimu (more or less).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #905
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I think Mu combined with Spectre could provide something similar to the embellishment of a good outboard Varimu (more or less).
Please share the presets when you come up with the right combo!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #906
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Please share the presets when you come up with the right combo!
Sure thing !
Old 3 weeks ago
  #907
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Sure thing !
Now i just learned about spectre ...funny thing for me it was just and eq or some like vitamin from waves ... will have to give it a try ....
Old 3 weeks ago
  #908
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Now i just learned about spectre ...funny thing for me it was just and eq or some like vitamin from waves ... will have to give it a try ....
It's far from that :D.

I've written a review about it if you are curious and got some time : https://www.audiopluginguy.com/revie...-wavesfactory/
(And I have not being paid to say this ).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #909
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
It's far from that :D.

I've written a review about it if you are curious and got some time : https://www.audiopluginguy.com/revie...-wavesfactory/
(And I have not being paid to say this ).
Reading before sleep , anyhthing really diff than lets say saturn ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #910
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Now i just learned about spectre ...funny thing for me it was just and eq or some like vitamin from waves ... will have to give it a try ....
Spectre is amazing, especially v1.5 with saturation choices per band. Prefer it to Saturn personally, it's very fast and intuitive.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #911
Gear Maniac
Spectre: Run all these Saturation modes thru Plugindoctor (frequency plot, not harmonics) and you will see what it does=)
Then see harmonics plot.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #912
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Reading before sleep , anyhthing really diff than lets say saturn ?
Oops sorry I was away.

I got Saturn too. Saturn is a lot more obvious and is aliasing a lot more.

The sound is very different and the workflow (like an EQ for Spectre) is very different and so yield to different results.

I found that globally Spectre can do what Saturn is doing but the opposite is not always true.

You can really do precise notch with Spectre (super useful on kick drum for example).

I personally prefer Saturn for obvious effect, whereas Spectre for everything else =).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #913
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
It's far from that :D.

I've written a review about it if you are curious and got some time : https://www.audiopluginguy.com/revie...-wavesfactory/
(And I have not being paid to say this ).
Very impressive review!
I think I have to try Spectre!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #914
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Very impressive review!
I think I have to try Spectre!
Oh thanks a lot :D !
Old 2 weeks ago
  #915
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I just started a support ticket with Pulsar about this issue as well as not having an updated manual and the problem with the lookahead/behind control I mentioned earlier. More when I know more.

I'm liking it on sub-busses like for pianos, acoustic guitars and vocals. Tried it on drums and that did not go well. Neither does using it on my 2-bus. Does seem to fit in well where I would normally use SPL Iron.
After a couple of rounds with tech support here's what I got:
The lookahead/behind control is working as designed but they are open to having the rotary control not reset to zero if enough people ask for it. As to the manual an updated manual is in the works - no ETA on that. Lastly they confirmed the daw crash on trying to open the manual from within MU and that it only happens on a Mac. To be fixed in possibly the next update.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #916
I haven't come to a conclusion about Spectre yet, but thank you for mentioning it here. It's been really interesting.
Old 1 week ago
  #917
Here for the gear
 

Cool, more license activation options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar Audio Email
Mu and Echorec
Introducing support for
iLok computer activations

With the latest updates of Mu and Echorec, it is no longer necessary to have an iLok dongle or an internet connection to use our products. Licenses can now be activated on the computer for offline use.

Note: iLok dongle and iLok Cloud are still the recommended ways to activate your license, as they are more secure and you don't need to worry about losing your license if your computer fails.
Old 1 week ago
  #918
Gear Addict
 
Calagan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgod View Post
Cool, more license activation options.
This great news indeed !
Thanks a lot Pulsar !
I will use Mu more often thanks to this
Old 1 week ago
  #919
Gear Nut
 

Thanks for giving us iLok computer activation. I'll be using this one a lot more just because of this.


Edit: what Calagan said
Old 1 week ago
  #920
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
how do you move the license from the cloud to the computer?
Old 1 week ago
  #921
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
how do you move the license from the cloud to the computer?
open of iLok License Manager. Go to your available licenses, right click, select activate. Select your computer when the window pops up.
Old 1 week ago
  #922
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
open of iLok License Manager. Go to your available licenses, right click, select activate. Select your computer when the window pops up.
thank you
Old 1 week ago
  #923
Gear Nut
Would be nice to have a new intro period price for those that couldn't previously buy due to the iLok requirements!
Old 1 week ago
  #924
Gear Maniac
 
wheever's Avatar
 

Is anyone else here starting to get tired of the hiss that Mu generates? I was setting up a mix with probably 6 instances of Mu on various tracks and the hiss was starting to be crazy (-96db, to be exact.) I was afraid to add any more instances because the hiss was already audible in the quiet sections--to the point that I had to add some gates to get it to drop back!

While I appreciate the effort to make this plug sound authentically analog, even SLATE allows you to turn of the damned hiss!

Pulsar, I love this plug, but can we have an option to turn down/off the noise? It's getting oppressive.
Old 1 week ago
  #925
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
Is anyone else here starting to get tired of the hiss that Mu generates? I was setting up a mix with probably 6 instances of Mu on various tracks and the hiss was starting to be crazy (-96db, to be exact.) I was afraid to add any more instances because the hiss was already audible in the quiet sections--to the point that I had to add some gates to get it to drop back!

While I appreciate the effort to make this plug sound authentically analog, even SLATE allows you to turn of the damned hiss!

Pulsar, I love this plug, but can we have an option to turn down/off the noise? It's getting oppressive.
I've not noticed any hiss from it. You have to have super ears and a VERY quite listening situation to hear something that low in level.
Old 1 week ago
  #926
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
I haven't noticed, Hiss, Too.

You said -96db?
This does play a role in your music?

How would you gain stage for this being noticeably?
Old 1 week ago
  #927
Lives for gear
I haven't noticed any hiss.
Although if your gain staging is very low (tracks with very low output) and the track is a bit noisy, you'll need to push the input drive to makes it compress and then it brings noise up. But that is expected. So if it is your case (I have no idea if it is ^^) try clip gain the audio to boost it up before Mu .
Old 1 week ago
  #928
Gear Maniac
 
wheever's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I've not noticed any hiss from it. You have to have super ears and a VERY quite listening situation to hear something that low in level.
It really depends on how many instances you have running. You don't hear it with one or two, no, but get six or eight or more up there and it's nothing like subtle.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a little hiss, it sounds like home, but cumulatively this is getting silly.

One of the nice thing IK did with their tapes collection is not make you deal with hiss. I'm just saying there should be an option to turn it off, like, say Slate or the bx Townhouse buss compressor, et al, does.

I love this compressor to death...I'd just Like the noise to not be so obtrusive.
Old 1 week ago
  #929
Gear Maniac
 
wheever's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I haven't noticed, Hiss, Too.

You said -96db?
This does play a role in your music?

How would you gain stage for this being noticeably?
I've tried gain- staging it out, but given how many instances I have running on this mix, when it gets to quiet/silent parts, it's not subtle at all. Having to use gates on fully digital sources seems silly.

I'd just like the option to turn it off like so many other things give you.
Old 1 week ago
  #930
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
It really depends on how many instances you have running. You don't hear it with one or two, no, but get six or eight or more up there and it's nothing like subtle.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a little hiss, it sounds like home, but cumulatively this is getting silly.

One of the nice thing IK did with their tapes collection is not make you deal with hiss. I'm just saying there should be an option to turn it off, like, say Slate or the bx Townhouse buss compressor, et al, does.

I love this compressor to death...I'd just Like the noise to not be so obtrusive.
I've had 5-6 instances on different tracks in a session and noticed no extra noise on the 2-bus.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump