The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Under $55 US at JRR with code GROUP
at the moment.

Last edited by profvonsok; 24th November 2019 at 11:08 PM..
Old 25th November 2019
Gear Addict

Just picked this up after having missed the launch. Very pleased with this one. Thanks for the BF sale!
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Maniac

The BF sale made it impossible to resist. I demoed it on drum bus and a few other places and found it to work great. This will get used.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Nut

Mu is my favorite on vocals and mixbus so far ( at least 9 out of 10 times )
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

I honestly love this! One of my favs at the moment. So smooth!
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
I honestly love this! One of my favs at the moment. So smooth!
Me,too.
Very much.
Old 10th December 2019
This has quickly become indispensable for me. It just hugs mixes ever so slightly into a cohesive whole that leaves a big smile on my face. I push the dual input for some tone and then adjust the controls from there, for 2-4dBs of gain reduction, usually on slow att., fastest release, 75% mix. And just a real joy to look at too
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

I don't believe in magic, or in fairies, but this thing adds magic fairy dust to the master buss. I've been running it in MS mode mostly, occasionally in stereo mode if I want a more solid centre.

Havent tried it on individual tracks yet, but will do so when I get the chance.

It's a great piece of software, well done Pulsar.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Late to the party on this one, but my God is’s great!
Old 14th December 2019
Before or After EQ?

When you use MU on individual tracks, do you prefer using it as one of the first inserts before any eq or do you prefer using it after eq, since it changes the frequency balance, reducing low mid energy and adding some in the top end..?
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
When you use MU on individual tracks, do you prefer using it as one of the first inserts before any eq or do you prefer using it after eq, since it changes the frequency balance, reducing low mid energy and adding some in the top end..?
No matter the compressor I'm using I always place it first before any eq for just the reason you state - so the comp isn't fighting the eq.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Everyone has their own preferences, but generally, when someone chooses to EQ before compression, it's usually so they can shape which frequencies will work the compressor the hardest. If you know how a particular compressor will react to what you are feeding it, you can use that to your advantage to shape the sound going into it, which can help you to get the most sonically out of using that compressor.

As always, using your ears, and knowing where you want to go with the sound will help to decide what approach you should take.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict

I use pre and post EQ .. on the pre I usually fix any issues with the sound, and the post EQ for contouring and building mix contrast.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Everyone has their own preferences, but generally, when someone chooses to EQ before compression, it's usually so they can shape which frequencies will work the compressor the hardest. If you know how a particular compressor will react to what you are feeding it, you can use that to your advantage to shape the sound going into it, which can help you to get the most sonically out of using that compressor.

As always, using your ears, and knowing where you want to go with the sound will help to decide what approach you should take.
Yup. If you're going to be cutting some lows out of a synth or whatever, why feed them to the comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I use pre and post EQ .. on the pre I usually fix any issues with the sound, and the post EQ for contouring and building mix contrast.
Same here, and also with tools such as Soothe (and phase 1 of deessing). All pre comp.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I tend to EQ before I compress vocals. I do want the compressor to tame some of the high end that I may be boosting. It does cut down on the amount of deessing needed. On some instruments, I will compress before I EQ. It all depends on what is needed. Try it both ways and experiment. I used to only compress before EQ but changing that for vocals made a big difference. Either way, I always hpf and/or lpf before compression. I don't want the compressor reacting to things I don't plan on keeping anyway.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Which makes the most sense. It's not really a matter of before or after, but before and after, if that's what the sound needs; and most of the time, that's what I end up doing.

Using several different stages of EQ on a single sound is very common if you know what you're trying to achieve with it.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
I do want the compressor to tame some of the high end that I may be boosting. It does cut down on the amount of deessing needed.
And this is where a lot of ITB compressor emulations fail in comparison to their real deal counterparts. They let through a lot more high frequency content than they're suppose to, and things just end up sounding more digital as a result.

That was my main issue with the IK Dyna-Mu plug-in for instance.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And this is where a lot of ITB compressor emulations fail in comparison to their real deal counterparts. They let through a lot more high frequency content than they're suppose to, and things just end up sounding more digital as a result.

So it wasn't just me then when I demo'd it. I think the word that came to me was 'brittle'. The again a lot of IKMM plugins are on the brittle side for my taste.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is this something you’ve measured... compared the IK, say, to the Manley?

I’m not busting your balls, but, I’m really curious!
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Addict

I find it more interesting with plug ins to eq before and after to make them work properly . Tchad Blake demonstrated this and it works like removing top end before and adding it afterwards as mentioned before.
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Guru
SKNote has Fooler that does this automatically.....FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So it wasn't just me then when I demo'd it. I think the word that came to me was 'brittle'. The again a lot of IKMM plugins are on the brittle side for my taste.
It's not a bad sounding compressor, but no matter how I tried to push it, it just never sang the way I was expecting it to, the way the Pulsar Mu was able to when I compared the two; which is why I ended up grabbing the Mu instead. The Dyna-Mu just sounds way too clean and transparent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not a bad sounding compressor, but no matter how I tried to push it, it just never sang the way I was expecting it to, the way the Pulsar Mu was able to when I compared the two; which is why I ended up grabbing the Mu instead. The Dyna-Mu just sounds way too clean and transparent.
I'd hardly call most IK plugins clean & transparent. Some need WAY too much input to get anything out of them - like their emulation of the Musitronics envelope follower. I know the original all too much as I worked for the company back in the day here in NJ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Is this something you’ve measured... compared the IK, say, to the Manley?

I’m not busting your balls, but, I’m really curious!
Nothing measured. Just my impressions based on using different software and hardware compressors.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'd hardly call most IK plugins clean & transparent. Some need WAY too much input to get anything out of them - like their emulation of the Musitronics envelope follower. I know the original all too much as I worked for the company back in the day here in NJ.
In the context of what I was trying to describe, I really mean to say digital sounding.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's back on sale
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Still annoyed with the threshold never being low enough, at least an option to set the DEFAULT input / output gain would be a big time saver. Just like real hardware, you set it (+15db input / -15 output for example) and forget about it. When mixing is your full time job this kind of small details really matters.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post
Still annoyed with the threshold never being low enough, at least an option to set the DEFAULT input / output gain would be a big time saver. Just like real hardware, you set it (+15db input / -15 output for example) and forget about it. When mixing is your full time job this kind of small details really matters.
I tend to set things manually every time but a "Save Current Settings as Default" (for the entire plugin) would be a welcome feature.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Thanks a lot for your answers !

Et félicitations aux grenoblois de Pulsar ! Ça sonne d'enfer !!!

But among all the issues mentionned above, if there is only one to adress for me in priority is the ilok one (and you didn't speak about that): if Mu could be activated on computer (and not only by dongle or cloud), it could be absolutely great.
I think some potential buyers here could find problematic the dongle/cloud only option...
I just want to chime and say this is absolutely me. I am the guy that will not buy this because it requires a dongle or active internet connection.

Call me fussy but I just refuse to do this. I buy all my software nowadays too and I would love to have this plugin especially at the current price, but paying for software and having hurdles to go through to use it is one of my biggest issues that I just won't do out of priniciple. (using on a laptop on an airplane is a very obvious drawback example).

Just writing this in hopes it might steer the developers to change their mind!

Also correct me if I'm wrong here but the teams that crack software will crack it and strip the code either way and require zero activation to use right ?

This cumbersome activation method only discourages the people that actually buy it ?

Anyways thanks for listening...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzer View Post
I just want to chime and say this is absolutely me. I am the guy that will not buy this because it requires a dongle or active internet connection.

Call me fussy but I just refuse to do this. I buy all my software nowadays too and I would love to have this plugin especially at the current price, but paying for software and having hurdles to go through to use it is one of my biggest issues that I just won't do out of priniciple. (using on a laptop on an airplane is a very obvious drawback example).

Just writing this in hopes it might steer the developers to change their mind!

Also correct me if I'm wrong here but the teams that crack software will crack it and strip the code either way and require zero activation to use right ?

This cumbersome activation method only discourages the people that actually buy it ?

Anyways thanks for listening...
I like a dongle, whether it be iLok or Vienna (aka Steinberg) key. Simple, effective and you don't have to sweat activations when you go to another machine or your computer craps out on you - and it will. Machine activations like what Arturia does are a right pain - it often loses it's authorization when it's plugins are updated and getting to their servers can be as slow as waiting for Slate Digital to release bug fixes.

Or you get a company that says it'll do machine authorization as well as dongle and the machines auths don't always work. I don't put my daw computer on the net if I don't have to so cloud authorizations are right out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search