The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiccoloComin View Post
We had also considered a Listen Color mode that would allow you to listen only to the "color" added by the Mu, but we gave up because after the first tests we realized that it wasn't that interesting.
Out of curiosity, would that have been similar to setting the Mu's side-chain setting to External but not feeding anything into the external side-chain input?

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yay!!! GUI re-sizing!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Out of curiosity, would that have been similar to setting the Mu's side-chain setting to External but not feeding anything into the external side-chain input?

Alistair
Not really, because most of the coloration occurs when there is gain reduction, so by forcing a GR of zero with your technique, you wouldn't hear much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiccoloComin View Post
Not really, because most of the coloration occurs when there is gain reduction, so by forcing a GR of zero with your technique, you wouldn't hear much.
Hmmm... Some 3rd, 5th and 7th harmonics added. Especially around 120 - 150 Hz. ( AIso even harmonics are added but they are down by 60-70 dB or more). I use it like that on bass sometimes. Subtle but audible.

Alistair
Old 2 weeks ago
I tried this on the mixbus. It tamed the boominess in the low mids and made it more solid. But I also lost some energy around 300hz and the highs got brighter. Following it up with an eq easily fixed that.
Other comps that I compared it to could not quite reproduce this solidity. Overall I think this may be the best mixbuss comp till date
Old 2 weeks ago
Tried hardware version Manley Vari Mu via Analog Access and shoot out some plugins included UAD Manley, Pulsar MU, MJUC, Glue and some others.

I was amazed how close Pulsar plugin to the real thing. Damn it!

Thank you guys for such an amazing tool
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any Black Friday specials coming for this plugin? I need another vari-mu plugin like a hole in the head, but...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

So far I’m in love with this. Would love to have an API 2500 from you guys.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
Tried hardware version Manley Vari Mu via Analog Access and shoot out some plugins included UAD Manley, Pulsar MU, MJUC, Glue and some others.

I was amazed how close Pulsar plugin to the real thing. Damn it!

Thank you guys for such an amazing tool
Always the best way to check! I did the similar with the Manley in the mastering compressor thread.

Still need to AB directly on that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Aye! Until then, check out DMG TrackComp (beta version). It has a new (fantastic) API 2500 mode.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Always the best way to check! I did the similar with the Manley in the mastering compressor thread.

Still need to AB directly on that site.

Aye! Until then, check out DMG TrackComp (beta version). It has a new (fantastic) API 2500 mode.
I do have it and it’s good, but I much prefer the UAD 2500
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Any Black Friday specials coming for this plugin? I need another vari-mu plugin like a hole in the head, but...
Are we in the same boat? I think we're in the same boat.

EDIT:
@ b0se I've been mostly MIA in this thread, how does the Pulsar mu compare to Magenta? I used Magenta quite a bit for a short period but, I can't put my finger on it, the release IIRC, struck me as off. Have you compare the Pulsar to the Acustica comps?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do have it and it’s good, but I much prefer the UAD 2500
Thanks for sharing. An API 2500 by Pulsar was requested by a few of us (and the posts liked a lot) already - fingers crossed they're listening! Considering how good (and flexible) Mu is, we'd be in for a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
@ b0se I've been mostly MIA in this thread, how does the Pulsar mu compare to Magenta? I used Magenta quite a bit for a short period but, I can't put my finger on it, the release IIRC, struck me as off. Have you compare the Pulsar to the Acustica comps?
Yo S. I've not done a side by side comparison as Magenta compression felt a bit weird to me back when testing (long time ago now). There's a side by side video here (along with SPL Iron and Ivory 4)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhNFcEgsMY

... and again, Megenta sounds odd to me. Ivory and Mu being my favourites.

There's also some blind test files by Pulsar vs the real thing here:

Shows how good it is, and a much better example than the website stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. An API 2500 by Pulsar was requested by a few of us (and the posts liked a lot) already - fingers crossed they're listening! Considering how good (and flexible) Mu is, we'd be in for a treat.

Yo S. I've not done a side by side comparison as Magenta compression felt a bit weird to me back when testing (long time ago now). There's a side by side video here (along with SPL Iron and Ivory 4)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhNFcEgsMY

... and again, Megenta sounds odd to me. Ivory and Mu being my favourites.

There's also some blind test files by Pulsar vs the real thing here:

Shows how good it is, and a much better example than the website stuff.
Can completely understand how Magenta could be perceived as being off (haven't listened to the comparisons in the link!) but I've found it to be really good on my own material when using 1-2db GR...

When a/b ing with other contenders (algo), I find that I can't switch back to the algos because of the 2d aspect and the smaller soundstage.

I got initially wowed by MU by pushing the input and feeling that everything just got louder and punchier but when level matched, the excitement tapered.

However, I reckon MU or MDE/whatever work exceedingly well placed before Magenta with Magenta just tickling things (with Pre activated).

That's just my opinion!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
+1
I would love it too !!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Can completely understand how Magenta could be perceived as being off (haven't listened to the comparisons in the link!) but I've found it to be really good on my own material when using 1-2db GR...

When a/b ing with other contenders (algo), I find that I can't switch back to the algos because of the 2d aspect and the smaller soundstage.

I got initially wowed by MU by pushing the input and feeling that everything just got louder and punchier but when level matched, the excitement tapered.

However, I reckon MU or MDE/whatever work exceedingly well placed before Magenta with Magenta just tickling things (with Pre activated).

That's just my opinion!!
That's where StageOne comes into play. Algo + S1 = HW 3D

Going to re-download Mag5 and test it vs the hardware and Mu today, in serial too as you recommend.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's where StageOne comes into play. Algo + S1 = HW 3D

Going to re-download Mag5 and test it vs the hardware and Mu today, in serial too as you recommend.
I love stageOne but I think the Depth section needs some fine-tuning by the developer. it starts so subtle then suddenly become too obvious and ugly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I love stageOne but I think the Depth section needs some fine-tuning by the developer. it starts so subtle then suddenly become too obvious and ugly.
Yes both are best used lightly (same with most tools though!). Width can be pushed more.

Quote:

That's just my opinion!!
Just spent the last 30 mins comparing HW Manley vs Magenta vs Mu (2dB GR, same settings).

You're right, Mag5 (with the preamp) does sound a tad more 3D than Mu when level matched.

BUT

It doesn't tame transients as well, it's prone to peaks. Mu can really raise the RMS of the track and still sound great. That's something I actively look for in a mastering compressor. I want that extra gain.

Mu + StageOne is louder and bigger. Level matched vs Mag5 (and even the hardware), it's the winner for me.

All Imo of course! I like a big/wide soundstage :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes both are best used lightly (same with most tools though!). Width can be pushed more.

Just spent the last 30 mins comparing HW Manley vs Magenta vs Mu (2dB GR, same settings).

You're right, Mag5 (with the preamp) does sound a tad more 3D than Mu when level matched.

BUT

It doesn't tame transients as well, it's prone to peaks. Mu can really raise the RMS of the track and still sound great. That's something I actively look for in a mastering compressor. I want that extra gain.

Mu + StageOne is louder and bigger. Level matched vs Mag5 (and even the hardware), it's the winner for me.

Okey dokey.. What about MDE/MU > Mag5 > StageOne?! I find AA comps control low end better than algo - if you want that of course!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
yes it excels in the Width and the MonoSpread both can be pushed really hard and still sounds nice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I concur regarding the RMS etc with MU but how would Mantis 2 with clipper perform there? Wish I could re-demo MU!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I have rather the impression it became $10 more expensive overnight :o

Wasn‘t it $99?
If not, sorry for the post
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Cent View Post
I have rather the impression it became $10 more expensive overnight :o

Wasn‘t it $99?
If not, sorry for the post
Could’ve been €99 you saw previously?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okey dokey.. What about MDE/MU > Mag5 > StageOne?! I find AA comps control low end better than algo - if you want that of course!
I don't like too much on the mixbus, I (try to!) get things to where they are in the mix. Worth a pop though :¬)

Quote:
I concur regarding the RMS etc with MU but how would Mantis 2 with clipper perform there? Wish I could re-demo MU!
Good call, although I'll try StandardCLIP first. Can easily shave 2dB off and not hear it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Aye, it was €59 / €99.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

BUT

Same boat -- it was the Magenta Pres in tandem with everything else that really maintained the image/soundstage. Very pro, very polished, very 'record-like'. But I was following it up after Kotelnikov... M5 alone was doing weird things with the release. Kotelnikov does the heavy lifting, M5 strolls in for a last second 'kiss'.

I may demo Mu, but now of course DynOne 3 will have to get a fair shake too (I know it's comparing fish to bicycles, but that's what we slutz do).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same boat -- it was the Magenta Pres in tandem with everything else that really maintained the image/soundstage. Very pro, very polished, very 'record-like'. But I was following it up after Kotelnikov... M5 alone was doing weird things with the release. Kotelnikov does the heavy lifting, M5 strolls in for a last second 'kiss'.

I may demo Mu, but now of course DynOne 3 will have to get a fair shake too (I know it's comparing fish to bicycles, but that's what we slutz do).
Yeah good call with that chain.

DynOne 3 is an exceptional plugin. Rank it up there with Gullfoss for mastering. And StageOne, of course :¬)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah good call with that chain.

DynOne 3 is an exceptional plugin. Rank it up there with Gullfoss for mastering. And StageOne, of course :¬)
Would love to hear a bit more about how you’re combining Gulfoss and DynOne for mastering...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Would love to hear a bit more about how you’re combining Gulfoss and DynOne for mastering...
anecdotal OT sidenote: I recall Soundtheory/atell mentioning that Gullfoss should not run in tandem with multi band processing... so I'm guessing Gullfoss would go first. Just my uninformed 2¢.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Quote:
anecdotal OT sidenote: I recall Soundtheory/atell mentioning that Gullfoss should not run in tandem with multi band processing... so I'm guessing Gullfoss would go first. Just my uninformed 2¢.
I never use Gullfoss above 10% for Recover or Tame and run it first in the master chain to carve a bit of space. Saturation follows. DynOne (which I don't always use) is at the end of the chain (with clipping) for that extra bit of balance before the limiter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The mu is on black Friday deal for 65 dollar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search