The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs View Post
And what do you do with the stageone?
Amazing tool for adding depth and width, better than the usual widening tools that can sound odd (and usually don't collapse to mono well).

Leave the mono widening as it is, and have a play with width and depth. You don't need much, but it'll give you that 'spacious hardware' sound.

I prefer to use it during mixing (on wide elements/groups), but it's also very powerful on the master.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I was going through my varimu plugins...

Pulsar
UAD fairchild collection
Kush AR-1
IK fairchild and manley
Slate fairchild-ish Frankenstein
Magic Eye
Arturia’s STA

And I’m SURE I’m skipping some... but, DAMN what a great time to be making music
Never liked the IK and Slate versions of Mu compressors, especially the Slate one is too dry and stiff in the top-end.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Never liked the IK and Slate versions of Mu compressors, especially the Slate one is too dry and stiff in the top-end.
Have you tried IKs manley? It’s great
Old 25th October 2019
Here for the gear

I'm curious about the input level knob in the plugin. The original hardware was +/- 8dB but the plugin has +32dB. How does that translate?
Old 25th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiccoloComin View Post
  • A zero-latency mode
  • Resizable GUI
Oh my god I love you guys!
Big Thanks!
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Head

Does this have Auto Gain compensation?
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axb312 View Post
Does this have Auto Gain compensation?
Not that I can see. Then again I find that even with it I still have to trim things one way or the other.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes the Dyna, it's a small-ish sound compared to SPL Iron .. but I don't have it any more to compare it to the Mu.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dror520 View Post
I'm curious about the input level knob in the plugin. The original hardware was +/- 8dB but the plugin has +32dB. How does that translate?
It's not an exact copy, as you can see the SC is way more advanced.
Old 25th October 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dror520 View Post
When we put it against the hardware that Eric had, it just seemed to not have that push like the hardware yet. The hardware always had more grit and sounded more up front And it also sounded like we could push the hardware more. I also told Vincent that I really wish we could separate the saturation from the compression as that would be a major key component to the plugin as people like to really push their plugins but Vincent mentioned the saturation alone would not sound great. I understood and so with Version 1.01 the MU had +18 if I’m not mistaken. When we gave Vincent all the feedback that was a big one. When we got version 1.02, OMG not only was it matching the hardware now closer than ever but you could push it well beyond what the hardware could do and it still sounded phenomenal. Though the plugin has a little more low end than the hardware too we did not wanted to keep fiddling with it. Eric and I thought Vincent and the team nailed the sound so much so that the small inconsistencies like Dual knob not matching the hardware was non void.
I hope that clears up a little.
I have to say, Vincent and the team are really on it and listen to every nuance and Eric and I are super impressed!

Marc
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It actually works well in comparison to this new plug-in. My observations so far, when both are used conservatively, the Pulsar seems to have a hint more mojo that I like, but the IK can handle loads more gain reduction before anything gets noticeably mucky. The Pulsar sounds nice and clean until you start trying to push past 10 dB of gain reduction, but that's what I found odd about the IK plug-in. When I'm purposely trying to push it for a certain result, the sound of it doesn't seem to change much.
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
When we put it against the hardware that Eric had, it just seemed to not have that push like the hardware yet. The hardware always had more grit and sounded more up front And it also sounded like we could push the hardware more. I also told Vincent that I really wish we could separate the saturation from the compression as that would be a major key component to the plugin as people like to really push their plugins but Vincent mentioned the saturation alone would not sound great. I understood and so with Version 1.01 the MU had +18 if I’m not mistaken. When we gave Vincent all the feedback that was a big one. When we got version 1.02, OMG not only was it matching the hardware now closer than ever but you could push it well beyond what the hardware could do and it still sounded phenomenal. Though the plugin has a little more low end than the hardware too we did not wanted to keep fiddling with it. Eric and I thought Vincent and the team nailed the sound so much so that the small inconsistencies like Dual knob not matching the hardware was non void.
I hope that clears up a little.
I have to say, Vincent and the team are really on it and listen to every nuance and Eric and I are super impressed!

Marc
If it was up to me, certain aspects of matching hardware would be banned - specifically matching detented switches. That exists because of analog limitations and it makes zero sense to limit a plugin the same way. So I'm glad that you used discretion and didn't worry about matching an insignificant detail.

Beyond that, the option to hold command or control to get the inbetween times for the release switch is a great solution to provide people with the exact analog reference, but not build in the solution. Thank you for that and I hope it becomes a standard!
Old 26th October 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
If it was up to me, certain aspects of matching hardware would be banned - specifically matching detented switches. That exists because of analog limitations and it makes zero sense to limit a plugin the same way. So I'm glad that you used discretion and didn't worry about matching an insignificant detail.

Beyond that, the option to hold command or control to get the inbetween times for the release switch is a great solution to provide people with the exact analog reference, but not build in the solution. Thank you for that and I hope it becomes a standard!
Oh how I wish I could take credit for that but that was the Pulsar guys on that. I thought that was an amazing option too. Brilliant in fact.

I think Vincent is watching this thread and is a very nice guy. He listened to everything I pushed for and added so many other extras that I did NOT mention.

As far as modeling the detended knobs/switches. I think it may make it a little easier to model as you know exactly where the sound is at. Then take it further ala Pulsar did.

I absolutely love the hold shift and move the Dual Input and the output moves auto. Makes my life so much easier.

Marc
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best case scenario is everything gets modeled exactly as is, and certain "enhancements" are provided as an option where ever it makes sense. Then the choice can be up to the user.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Do this still have the intro price of $54? I only see $109. Is there a coupon code you need to enter?
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
Do this still have the intro price of $54? I only see $109. Is there a coupon code you need to enter?
No the intro sale ended a couple of days ago.
Old 27th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Best case scenario is everything gets modeled exactly as is, and certain "enhancements" are provided as an option where ever it makes sense. Then the choice can be up to the user.
Or a second version without the limitations.

I guarantee you that if designers bundled two API EQ plugins with each purchase and had a way to track usage, the data would reveal that no one preferred the one that only allowed 2dB gain increments regardless of what kind on rationalizations they'd give online.

It's solely a marketing move to say something is an exact model of a piece of analog hardware.

It's really the users who are the problem for believing that's something to aspire to.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Addict

In regard to all the modelling discussion here. I'm really missing the Chandler Zener limiter in a native format, I don't know if Softube will ever release it natively.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
In regard to all the modelling discussion here. I'm really missing the Chandler Zener limiter in a native format, I don't know if Softube will ever release it natively.
I think Softube will eventually release it.

But anyway, I haven't tried it yet, but DMG has modeled it in their Trackcomp. A lot of people are loving it.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or a second version without the limitations.

I guarantee you that if designers bundled two API EQ plugins with each purchase and had a way to track usage, the data would reveal that no one preferred the one that only allowed 2dB gain increments regardless of what kind on rationalizations they'd give online.
Fixed gain increments on plug-ins, especially on stuff like "output level" (i.e. SPL Iron), are rarely useful.

Fixed frequency positions on the other hand can be quite useful for obtaining quick, musical results. At the same time, it would obviously be nice to have the option to deviate from those fixed positions to get in between those frequencies when it's desirable to do so. In that sort of case, you would not want to have two different versions of the same plug-in. You just need to have the option to sweep when you want to sweep, or use the fixed positions. So it really just depends on what is being modeled.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Tried a new comparison yesterday between the Pulsar Mu and IK Dyna-Mu, this time on a Rap mix.

Unlike the Rock mix I compared them on previously, the Dyna-Mu wasn't cutting it this time around for my tastes. The Pulsar Mu does a fair job taming "digi-itis", which for the track in question was much more needed than it was on the Rock mix. The Dyna-Mu in that sense was not unlike some of the Waves compressors that while capturing the spirit of the hardware's sound, miss out on some of the aspects that make using the actual hardware so sonically desirable.

I don't often get to have fun while using a software compressor, save for a few of them that really stand out above the rest. I can safely add this new Mu plug-in to that very short list.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Once upon a time , my manager and i talked and he said this sentence " art is to be shared , not sold ... it is when it enter the commercial part that it gets dirty ( i think ihe said something like it loses its essence!... french english translation )

lol

Cold statment but i m in phase with that ... take off the econmic side and i swears at least this crap trap brainless tracks would dissapear ... and more generally music quality will jump !

I m not saying getting paid for your art is bad , but definiying the art direction in the economic sight is destructiv... ( i know you didn t said that of cours )

Just drinking my coffee derailing a thread like usual
@ bgood did ya tried the overloud gem 670
No I haven’t.... good?
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I think Softube will eventually release it.

But anyway, I haven't tried it yet, but DMG has modeled it in their Trackcomp. A lot of people are loving it.
Are you sure?

From dmg’s website:

DMG (Digital compressor)
E-channel (British console channel compressor)
G-bus (British console bus compressor)
76D (Revision D FET compressor)
2A (1960s valve and opto compressor)
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Mu is my top pick for Vari-Mu style mixing. I was hitting a vocal with 6-7dB compression with it yesterday (tracked with SSL rounding 2-3dB peaks off) and it sounded fantastic. Great action.

I prefer it to MDE and AR-1 in that regard. I'm not saying which is objectively better, just what suits my workflow and tastes. Can't wait for the zero latency version.

Pulsar are company to watch for sure.

Quote:
Are you sure?

From dmg’s website:

DMG (Digital compressor)
Zener and API are in the beta, you can grab it here:

https://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/TrackComp/
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you sure?

From dmg’s website:

DMG (Digital compressor)
It is part of the latest beta version afaik

Old 27th October 2019
Quote:
I think it's only a matter of weeks or maybe months before Softube releases the native version of the Zener Limiter. They just ported the Curve Bender last month.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
No I haven’t.... good?
I think it s the best overloud release , not for kids but def a ballsy one ... might do a walthrougth this one cause it s really more able and complex that the waves or ik ... i love it (and used it ) on vocals , synths , gtr ... underatted imho ...
Old 28th October 2019
Here for the gear

What a great plug-in!

I'm absolutely in love with what it's doing to my mixes so far.
Old 28th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Fixed gain increments on plug-ins, especially on stuff like "output level" (i.e. SPL Iron), are rarely useful.

Fixed frequency positions on the other hand can be quite useful for obtaining quick, musical results. At the same time, it would obviously be nice to have the option to deviate from those fixed positions to get in between those frequencies when it's desirable to do so. In that sort of case, you would not want to have two different versions of the same plug-in. You just need to have the option to sweep when you want to sweep, or use the fixed positions. So it really just depends on what is being modeled.
You can always manually input "fixed" values.

There is no benefit to including the limitations. We can all impose them on ourselves if we want.
Old 28th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Mu is my top pick for Vari-Mu style mixing. I was hitting a vocal with 6-7dB compression with it yesterday (tracked with SSL rounding 2-3dB peaks off) and it sounded fantastic. Great action.

I prefer it to MDE and AR-1 in that regard. I'm not saying which is objectively better, just what suits my workflow and tastes. Can't wait for the zero latency version.

Pulsar are company to watch for sure.

Zener and API are in the beta, you can grab it here:

How did you know it was was 6-7dB of compression?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search