The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Be sure to use it with at least 2x oversampling! Makes a huge difference.

...even the attack is very nice on this comp, this is where many other plugins are lacking.
I wonder what oversampling was used on the website audio examples? The hardware examples sounded much more desirable to me. I have so many compressors that sound close to the hardware so it would have to get closer than what I am currently hearing for me to want to buy it.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

@ filterfreak
What specific huge difference are you hearing with over sampling? I use other plugins where it’s really obvious but Mu sounds so good, I’m not hearing much change when using over sampling. Even the cpu hit isn’t much at all until 8x. It could be the source I’m trying it on and maybe it’ll jump out at me later but I’m hearing subtle difference not huge.
Old 1st October 2019
XDX
Here for the gear

As great as Fab-C2 is, the saturation of the input and the specific curves in MU just aren't there in Fab-C2. My track was -13lufs and nulled down to -30lufs. Not a good match if you ask me.

Anyways, back to Mu.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

The issue with pure digital compressors such as pro-c, bx_opto, Sonnox Dynamics..etc. they tend to sound smaller against any well-modelled compressor. Input & output saturation is key for a bigger and fuller sound.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Nut

Mastering presets or settings sharing please.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
The issue with pure digital compressors such as pro-c, bx_opto, Sonnox Dynamics..etc. they tend to sound smaller against any well-modelled compressor. Input & output saturation is key for a bigger and fuller sound.
I beg to differ.i have VCA 500 series comps which don't have any blatant saturation or its not a feature of the circuit and the action sounds like nothing i can accomplish with plugins.to me its the way they ebb&flow with the signal.plugins with certain signals and amounts of gain reduction seem to take a mind of their own and ignore the input.they jist continue to grab onto the input envelope and never let go,so the release is ruined and you end up with a very averaged signal,but also sounds flat.on outboard comps it sounds like to me that the envelope follower and internal sidechain seem to die off when the end of the envelope is reached and then it grabs again at the start of the next attack.there's more of a pseudo reverse quality going on when you push some outboard compressors.they smack into the next event whereas plugins just kind of glide into it.i think that is possibly what most people attribute to the flatness of software compression.theres also another thing i don't understand and can't really explain but when i push my outboard comps into silly OTT territory,the click is over the top,but its still usable.when i do this with plugins,it sounds like the click that is created has no relation to the rest of the signal.they sound like 2 completely different sounds which gives a perception of a discontinuity between that new over emphasised transient and the test of the envelope.this is something i'd attribute to phase but i don't understand how that would come into play with a plugin compressor.lookahead just seems like a bit of a crutch in this situation.sort of obfuscating the underlying issue.it will tame the click,but what if you wanted it.as an experiment i have actually chopped off the transient created by OTT compression and adjusted phase with the rest of the envelope and it smacks so much better.it drives out of the tweeters and woofers like an outboard comp would,but its also tedious to do that on anything that isn't percussive..quite the mystery
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
@ filterfreak
What specific huge difference are you hearing with over sampling? I use other plugins where it’s really obvious but Mu sounds so good, I’m not hearing much change when using over sampling. Even the cpu hit isn’t much at all until 8x. It could be the source I’m trying it on and maybe it’ll jump out at me later but I’m hearing subtle difference not huge.
Maybe the difference is bigger cause I am working at lower samples rates atm.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I beg to differ.i have VCA 500 series comps which don't have any blatant saturation or its not a feature of the circuit and the action sounds like nothing i can accomplish with plugins.to me its the way they ebb&flow with the signal.plugins with certain signals and amounts of gain reduction seem to take a mind of their own and ignore the input.they jist continue to grab onto the input envelope and never let go,so the release is ruined and you end up with a very averaged signal,but also sounds flat.on outboard comps it sounds like to me that the envelope follower and internal sidechain seem to die off when the end of the envelope is reached and then it grabs again at the start of the next attack.there's more of a pseudo reverse quality going on when you push some outboard compressors.they smack into the next event whereas plugins just kind of glide into it.i think that is possibly what most people attribute to the flatness of software compression.theres also another thing i don't understand and can't really explain but when i push my outboard comps into silly OTT territory,the click is over the top,but its still usable.when i do this with plugins,it sounds like the click that is created has no relation to the rest of the signal.they sound like 2 completely different sounds which gives a perception of a discontinuity between that new over emphasised transient and the test of the envelope.this is something i'd attribute to phase but i don't understand how that would come into play with a plugin compressor.lookahead just seems like a bit of a crutch in this situation.sort of obfuscating the underlying issue.it will tame the click,but what if you wanted it.as an experiment i have actually chopped off the transient created by OTT compression and adjusted phase with the rest of the envelope and it smacks so much better.it drives out of the tweeters and woofers like an outboard comp would,but its also tedious to do that on anything that isn't percussive..quite the mystery
Listen to this, finally someone with real long life hardware experience... Most of os comes to a conclusion like this.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's true. Plugins in general feels more strict and sensitive to transients, so to get the same amount of compression on HW with plugins without flattening/killing the sound I usually need to compress in serial or parallel.

Whats really works for me is to split the compression on 2 different compressors such a FET/VCA and then finish with an opto or vari-mu.
Old 1st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
That is because of the virtual threads, if your CPU has 8 cores / 16 threads, Reaper believes that it really has 16 cores, so when in reaper your CPU reaches 50%, it is actually 100%.

I have deactivated virtual threads and in addition to seeing real consumption, I get better performance.
How do you do this?
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
How do you do this?
Disable hyperthreading in BIOS.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
That's true. Plugins in general feels more strict and sensitive to transients, so to get the same amount of compression on HW with plugins without flattening/killing the sound I usually need to compress in serial or parallel.

Whats really works for me is to split the compression on 2 different compressors such a FET/VCA and then finish with an opto or vari-mu.
The point is though WHY do we have to jump through these hoops to attain something which is still only 85/90%(sometimes less) there.its a circuit model right,they take a schematic of a device and individually model each resistor,capacitor,VCA or whatever is responsible for the gain reduction and any amp stages,transformers etc.if we ignore the saturation for a second and any kind of static magnitude differences(which is what people focus far too much on to begin with)how come taking all that into account it still does not "behave"like the gear in question.please do not give me that **** about "all outboard gear is not the same.there are tolerances differences to account for"regurgitation most people who spout that crap are just willing to not admit that they don't know or probably can't hear it.fair enough, but that does not explain at all why they do not behave the same disregarding that.its not user error,you can tweak to your hearts content and it will never behave the same.i wont throw words around like "signal integrity,3D,or warm"as they seem to cause people to diverge and tread the same old preset responses or get peoples knickers in a twist.i will just say that i find that the degradation of the dynamic range with outboard is more desirable with outboard than with plugins. it is somehow more musical and to put that analytically rather subjectively ,i would say that the envelope that is imposed on the signal from compression is more complimentary to the input when done with outboard regardless of topology,revision,gain reduction etc than software.some software compressors are not even that good at compressing.they will let certain transient events pass almost as if they are blind to them.i just find the differences interesting and quite stark given how long we have been modelling this stuff now

I'm asking other people have outboard gear as developers i have noticed with the exception of a few are not willing to be transparent about the differences and swear by the caliber of their modelling.

Not tried Mu yet i am wrestling with idea of using my 4g to tether to my computer in the studio to try a cloud setup
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The point is though WHY do we have to jump through these hoops to attain something which is still only 85/90%(sometimes less) there.its a circuit model right,they take a schematic of a device and individually model each resistor,capacitor,VCA or whatever is responsible for the gain reduction and any amp stages,transformers etc.if we ignore the saturation for a second and any kind of static magnitude differences(which is what people focus far too much on to begin with)how come taking all that into account it still does not "behave"like the gear in question.please do not give me that **** about "all outboard gear is not the same.there are tolerances differences to account for"regurgitation most people who spout that crap are just willing to not admit that they don't know or probably can't hear it.fair enough, but that does not explain at all why they do not behave the same disregarding that.its not user error,you can tweak to your hearts content and it will never behave the same.i wont throw words around like "signal integrity,3D,or warm"as they seem to cause people to diverge and tread the same old preset responses or get peoples knickers in a twist.i will just say that i find that the degradation of the dynamic range with outboard is more desirable with outboard than with plugins it is somehow more musical and to put that analytically rather subjectively ,i would say that the envelope that is imposed on the signal from compression is more complimentary to the input when done with outboard regardless of topology,revision,gain reduction etc than software.some software compressors are not even that good at compressing.they will let certain transient events pass almost as if they are blind to them.i just find the differences interesting and quite stark given how long we have been modelling this stuff now

I'm asking other people have outboard gear as developers i have noticed with the exception of a few are not willing to be transparent about the differences and swear by the caliber of their modelling.

Not tried Mu yet i am wrestling with idea of using my 4g to tether to my computer in the studio to try a cloud setup
You'd have to ask the developers but my guess is that to code for the small amounts of randomness would be extremely difficult...
Old 1st October 2019
So as to not overthink these hardware imitations I never expect them to be exact but only similar, and often the plugs have annoying issues the hardware does not have, especially when pushed. My HandCrafted labs Varis VariMu compressor has an organic nature that is impressive and also adds a kind of weight that only hardware can do. The digital world simply is different enough that no way are analog and digital tools going to be the same. This compressor is for me the closest plugin I have heard to a real Varimu which for me is a good step forward. This is my favorite plugin Varimu to date but for more aggressive things I still use the lowly old Waves PuigChild 670. For actual mastering the Varis will almost always take the cake if the extra headache is worth it. For individual track duties Mu is great at 0X oversampling to keep the CPU hit reasonable.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
So as to not overthink these hardware imitations I never expect them to be exact but only similar, and often the plugs have annoying issues the hardware does not have, especially when pushed. My HandCrafted labs Varis VariMu compressor has an organic nature that is impressive and also adds a kind of weight that only hardware can do. The digital world simply is different enough that no way are analog and digital tools going to be the same. This compressor is for me the closest plugin I have heard to a real Varimu which for me is a good step forward. This is my favorite plugin Varimu to date but for more aggressive things I still use the lowly old Waves PuigChild 670. For actual mastering the Varis will almost always take the cake if the extra headache is worth it. For individual track duties Mu is great at 0X oversampling to keep the CPU hit reasonable.
This is how i see them too.i don't care what the marketing says or the claims about the level of modelling.i've always just saw plugins as useful or not,but i am still very interested in the "why"regardless of this acceptance. like you i don't ever think they will be able to capture the idiosyncrasies and actual behaviour of the devices they claim to imitate to the T
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
This is how i see them too.i don't care what the marketing says or the claims about the level of modelling.i've always just saw plugins as useful or not,but i am still very interested in the "why"regardless of this acceptance. like you i don't ever think they will be able to capture the idiosyncrasies and actual behaviour of the devices they claim to imitate to the T
Maybe quantum computers could be the answer...
Old 1st October 2019
I was able to compare it independently to some examples from a thread I always use as a sanity check for the inevitable excitement driven 'new plugin bias'...

It seems like a very nice plugin and excellent value. Maybe I didnt match the settings accurately enough but on comparison to some Vari Mu demos to me it captures the superficial sound but with a slightly clicky transient and 'over the top' of the sound aspect, which lacks the solidity of the low end when compared to the hardware examples. I find this is the case in every emulation example I have compared, so maybe not a new level of accuracy although a nice plugin for sure.

If anyone wants to try it you can use some examples here:

The Hardware Compressor & Limiter Comparison Thread (With Audio Files)

Maybe with more time to compare and tweak it could be totally accurate...the good thing about this forum is there are a lot of independent user generated hardware demos to listen to and compare...

Last edited by SWAN808; 1st October 2019 at 06:15 PM..
Old 1st October 2019
Here for the gear

Great work Pulsar Team, incredible Compressor, nice glue body shape (very accurate attacks and release) maybee i will use mu always, ps really reminds an analogue, this virtual plugins are a step to empire, maybe you can master Avalon emulation
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Was it ever stated when the intro deal ends? Pretty sure I'm going to buy it. Would like to not miss that.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Was it ever stated when the intro deal ends? Pretty sure I'm going to buy it. Would like to not miss that.
24th of october
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzia View Post
Shame about the protection scheme. I hope I misunderstand, but it seems like the only options are dongle or always-online cloud protection.

I’m not one for the anti-dongle diatribes but I am never going to support always-online copy protection for the simple fact that my access to something i paid for- and potentially something I rely on- would be subject to the caprice of my modem, web provider, hell maybe bad weather. And without unplugging gear that i use for mixing and production I don’t have an extra USB port for another dongle. I’m sure Pulsar will survive without my business, but I wish they’d reconsider because I’d happily buy it if it had ilok machine activation

Seems like so often plug-in companies implement copy protections that present a barrier to entry for legitimate paying customers, and then eventually the protection becomes compromised, and then the only people deterred by the protection are people who would otherwise be paying customers.
I am mad that I have to plug my hardware compressors into an electric outlet. Damn those compromised designs!
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Up till 26th October on Plugin Boutique.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I am mad that I have to plug my hardware compressors into an electric outlet. Damn those compromised designs!
Well if Tesla's original idea of sending electricity wirelessly through electro-magnetic field works in the future maybe these designs won't have to be compromised too much longer...
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
The main problem here is not ilok, but the fact there's only a choice between ilok cloud and ilok USB dongle - the machine activation not being considered.
I'm sure they considered it but the machine activation is the least secure method.

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with my ilok machine license activation (Soundtoys, Eventide, Softube, PSP),
Yup and they are all cracked. That should answer your question.

Alistair

Last edited by UnderTow; 2nd October 2019 at 12:14 AM..
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Yup and they are all cracked. That should answer your question.
Yet all those companies seem to be doing just fine.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotabateno View Post
Yet all those companies seem to be doing just fine.
Yeah but in fairness they are HUGE compared to this developer and can probably take a bit of a hit in comparison.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear
I finally gave it a try.

I just plugged my ilok which I am already bond with because of Pro Tools. I just activated the demo on the ilok dongle without the need of any cloud service or internet.
I guess I am lucky regarding what few others have said here. Anyway, bashing ilok would be pointless and out of subject here I think .

I tried it on a jazz mix (live band recorded on a Neve VR) with some hip-hop vocal. It fitted the style perfectly. I tried it on Mixbus but did not liked how it tamed the high-midrange. So I ended up bypassing it.
On vocal it was useful though.

It worked wonderfully on bass too.

The additional set of features is very welcome.

But the nerd in me wanted to compare it to outboard Varimu. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a Manley Vari-Mu, so I compared it to the Vari-Mu I got : Thermionix Phoenix and Pendulum CS-8. One inspired by the famous Altec compressor and the other one by a Fairchild 660 (but it sounds quite smoother to me).
Why comparing them to Pulsar Mu whereas they aren't the same model emulated ? Because varimu design had been a struggle to emulate for a lot of plugin developer. They, in my opinion, never nailed the harmonic excitement/content of varimu on a sound source. Even the latest release in Vari-Mu plugins did not IMHO. And I'd love them to be able to do it ! Really ! I would even be gladly involved to help.

So I compared the low-end, the harmonic excitement. And...... It still sounds like a plugin to me. An excellent plugin, maybe one of the best out there. But still a plugin.
Outboard sounded "wider". Yet it is hard to describe, as I tried it on a mono bass DI track and a kick mic. So it shouldn't be "wider" if it is mono right ? Yet it does sound wider.
In a pure, unbiased blind-test I was able to pick up the hardware 100% of the time. I am not saying I have the best ears in the world (not at all), but it was quite obvious (for those of us who do this as a living).
Again, for those of us who use outboard compressors on a regular basis and tried to compare to plugin, I think that you can understand what I mean by the outboard sounding "wider". It also tend to have more low-end energy (harmonics).
I tried using Kazrog True Iron after it, and it helped to gets it closer. But still, the amount of low-end energy of both outboard Vari-Mu was superior in my opinion. This is the kind of low-end, low-mid thing that is very hard to get to sound right when mixing in-the-box (imho).

I have tried MDE, I found its action nice but I wasn't able to get a good amount of saturation out of it that would remind of a good powerful Vari-Mu pushed it its limit.
I have tried Kush AR-1, which again I liked the behavior. The saturation was enjoyable too. Its color did not "wowed" me first but I could see the quality of it.
This one, the Mu, could get into the "Vari-Mu pushed to high saturation" territory. Which is very nice. As some have pointed out earlier, it is very valuable when wanting to alter the global RMS of a track. I also really liked its color, the way it calm down the high midrange (yes I said I did not liked it on the mixbus, but it is because I tend to do "soft" mix first so I did not needed it to do that on mixbus) in a nice and elegant way.
It easily found its spot on one of my mix. In fact, I even re-rerouted my mix to have a buss with vocal/rhodes-organ/bass/synth in one buss with Mu on, and the other buss with Drums without Mu. All going to mixbus. I normally never do such thing (not that it is uncommon, I just rarely bother), but I really liked what it did to those group of instruments but not that much of what it did to the drums.

All in all it is a very nice sounding compressor plugin and still sound as such (unfortunately for me, you may not even care). As point by some of you, the demo on the website really don't do it justice. The hardware sound much better in those examples, in a very obvious way (relatively speaking) in my opinion.
I like its color, its behavior, its set of features and its GUI and CPU consumption.

Will I grab it ? A lot of chance that yes. But I will stop you there. You can see a lot of guys here buying stuff way too quickly in my opinion (anyone do whatever they want with their money don't get me wrong). So I will explain very quickly why I may buy it, even if it still sounds like a plugin to me.
I don't have MDE, when I tried it, I did not felt the need to put it on any track. Even if it is cool.
I don't have AR-1. Same, I tried it, enjoyed it, but again I did felt the need to bring it on my mix.
I have VSC-3, but I don't really understand why it has been brought here since it is a loooot different. You can hardly make compressors plugin in the same category (high-end, fully-featured) be so different than those two haha. So yeah...
I filled a gap in my plugin folder, the gap of a Vari-Mu design plugin, with highly modern features, a nice behavior AND CPU consumption, with a color that soften the high-mid that I can like (the exact opposite of VBC Mu which I hate the color and the high-mid boost 90% of the time).
So yes, it's still a plugin, but it's a nice yes to me.
But still, there is a long way to go for plugin dev to craft the perfect Vari-Mu plugin in my opinion, some have give very interesting results and sometimes I was blown away by the "width" of them. But they had other flaws to deal with (workflow, CPU consumption, price... not I am not talking about Acustica Magenta haha).
Peace

P.S. : Regarding aliasing, it is far from being the best. But again, it's taboo
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzia View Post
What?

You realize by “compromised” I meant cracked right?

Is this some joke that went over my head or did you misunderstand my post?
My post was obviously a joke.

Now to me the BEST kind of copyright protection is something like UAD. Where a piece of software simply won't function without hardware processing. I do wish their DSPs were a lot more powerful, but UAD cracks don't exist (to my knowledge). So, UAD has the budget to innovate and support old products!
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Yeah but in fairness they are HUGE compared to this developer and can probably take a bit of a hit in comparison.
Not sure this argument flies, as Valhalla, Cytomic, Klanghelm, Fuse, Tokyo Dawn Labs, Boz, DDMF, Toneboosters and numerous other small ones seem to be doing just fine as well. Also there are plenty bigger companies who don't use cloud or dongle.

I just don't think there is much of a correlation between the protection method and a company's overall success. The loss in sales due to piracy (which apparently affects mostly initial sales while the hype is still on) could very well be made up for by purchases from people that would otherwise be non-customers because of a restrictive protection method. Perhaps it's a wash after all or even beneficial for companies to allow for potenial piracy and make an effort to convert leechers to paying customers (e.g. U-HE seems to be doing this). There still seems to be very little meaningful data out there, especially on non-customers due to certain barriers, which is obviously very difficult to measure. If there was proper evidence to support either case we wouldn't see such a variety of protection approaches I suppose.

As a small company starting out I would have liked Pulsar to be less conservative and I remain hopeful they will open up with time. Kush does too, maybe for good reason.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotabateno View Post
Not sure this argument flies, as Valhalla, Cytomic, Klanghelm, Fuse, Tokyo Dawn Labs, Boz, DDMF, Toneboosters and numerous other small ones seem to be doing just fine as well. Also there are plenty bigger companies who don't use cloud or dongle.

I just don't think there is much of a correlation between the protection method and a company's overall success. The loss in sales due to piracy (which apparently affects mostly initial sales while the hype is still on) could very well be made up for by purchases from people that would otherwise be non-customers because of a restrictive protection method. Perhaps it's a wash after all or even beneficial for companies to allow for potenial piracy and make an effort to convert leechers to paying customers (e.g. U-HE seems to be doing this). There still seems to be very little meaningful data out there, especially on non-customers due to certain barriers, which is obviously very difficult to measure. If there was proper evidence to support either case we wouldn't see such a variety of protection approaches I suppose.

As a small company starting out I would have liked Pulsar to be less conservative and I remain hopeful they will open up with time. Kush does too, maybe for good reason.
Steven Slate said that when one of his plugins was compromised, his sales dropped by over 50% ON DAY ONE of the security breach. You can't compare one or two employee companies to ones with 10+ employees.

Piracy is more rampant than you realize. Type in any new software on Google and tell me what auto fill results pop up. At least there is an iLok...all of the book authors and independent filmmakers plus other creatives no doubt are harmed each and every day.

Local bands used to be able to sell 100 CDs at $10 a piece at their shows and make back their recording budget to an extent. Not so much anymore!

On another note, I'd like to hear a comparison of this plugin vs. the Manley Vari-Mu that's up on accessanalog.com .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search