The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Analog Matrix from Access Analog - connect to analog hardware in the cloud!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware The Analog Matrix from Access Analog - connect to analog hardware in the cloud!

The Analog Matrix audio breakthrough: - Robotically controlled analog hardware in the cloud

For immediate release September 18th, 2019

-For the first time ever, musicians and engineers can process audio in real time using robotically controlled analog hardware in the cloud.

-The Analog Matrix works as a plugin inside all major digital audio workstations.

-Robotically controlled hardware offers unique benefits not possible before such as full recall, user designed custom presets, automation, easy routing, and simple parallel processing.

Longmont, Colorado - A new innovation in audio processing is now available from Access Analog: The groundbreaking Analog Matrix plugin can stream audio to professional audio hardware in the cloud. It’s the first plugin that lets musicians and engineers connect to robotically controlled hardware in real time.

“We created a solution that allows anyone to use the same professional analog processing they’ve heard on their favorite recordings.” Access Analog founder Chris Barrett explains “Users can connect from anywhere using a standard internet connection, at a fraction of the cost of buying the hardware. We recognized that many engineers and musicians have a strong desire to use analog hardware, but do not have access to a studio that owns the equipment, or resources available to purchase the gear”

Robotically controlled hardware offers unique benefits that have never before been possible.

“The Analog Matrix gives you full recall, presets, drag and drop routing flexibility and options like automation and easy parallel processing,” Barrett says “And you can utilize these benefits from anywhere, instead of being tied to a single studio location.”

A new approach to mixing is now possible.

“Since the audio is streaming to hardware and back with real-time control, metering and monitoring, - users can mix audio while also using any plugins or hardware they already own.” Barrett explains “It’s truly a hybrid solution in which analog hardware can easily be integrated in a digital audio workstation.”

Access Analog offers equipment from manufacturers Manley Labs, Solid State Logic, Universal Audio, Empirical Labs, Louder Than Liftoff, and Pultec with many more to be added in the future. Users can easily mix and match devices to create their own unique signal chain. The Analog Matrix plugin can be downloaded for free - users just pay to reserve equipment that is available 24 hours per day, year-round. The server and associated hardware are located in Longmont, Colorado, with additional servers being added as demand requires.

For more information visit www.accessanalog.com

-Access Analog

Check out the videos on our Instagram access.analog and our YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVq...rJW_MDX5TCiBVg
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Tried this during the beta and was very impressed. Will be using this for sure in my productions as I cannot justify owning and maintaining analog outboard gear.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Amazing idea. Definitely i'm booking couple sessions in the near future.
Old 18th September 2019
Great idea!
Old 18th September 2019
What's the latency when using the plugin? I would expect too large for Pro Tools' built-in ADC to handle it, right?

And what is the latency in use between the GUI, the hardware being physically adjusted, and the user hearing the updated setting?

Are sample rate and bit depth limited by one's internet connection speed, or is there an upper limit on your end?

Last, am i correct in assuming the audio is sent and returned in a lossless way?

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac
"for the first time ever?"

mixanalog.com has been doing this for almost a year now, with a plugin version set to drop in a few months or so—they have a stereo pultec set, an ssl bus compressor, a fairchild limiter, two tape machines, a 1176, a couple precision EQs and a bettermaker limiter, with some more hardware on the way and a plugin version set to drop in a few months or so.

i'm surprised you managed to be unaware of their existence this long; maybe you ought to modify your press release slightly

i realize this is rude and kind of a downer, especially if you honestly had no idea they existed and were super excited to be the first ones to do this, so i apologize.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

This is awesome! I love the gear choices you guys have!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware Thanks! More gear on the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyocity View Post
This is awesome! I love the gear choices you guys have!
Thanks! We think your ears will love the sound of analog processing, and it's even more powerful when you combine devices to design your own signal chain like the Silver Bullet into the Vari Mu, G Comp into the Pultecs or try the classic LA2A-1176 combo, - it's easy to drag and drop gear and design your custom signal chain.

We've got more equipment on the way and we're taking requests - tell us what you'd like to see added to the Analog Matrix....
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
What's the latency when using the plugin? I would expect too large for Pro Tools' built-in ADC to handle it, right?

And what is the latency in use between the GUI, the hardware being physically adjusted, and the user hearing the updated setting?

Are sample rate and bit depth limited by one's internet connection speed, or is there an upper limit on your end?

Last, am i correct in assuming the audio is sent and returned in a lossless way?

Thanks!
Good questions Mad Oak! The latency is user selectable from within the plugin - the largest buffer size is 2500ms to accommodate slower internet connections.

We also offer the option to stream at lossless 24/48 or select different amounts of audio compression depending on your internet speeds.

You can choose to render the file offline at full resolution by using the offline processor built into the plugin. Just hit 'arm' then playback the audio so it can be captured at the server. Then when you hit process it will be processed through the hardware and you can drag the file into your session when it's complete.

When using our plugin you will hear the latency of the buffering so if you turn a knob in the plugin and let go, there will be a delay in hearing the resulting audio streaming back to you. For example if you are buffering at 2500 ms then that's the amount of time that will pass before you hear the results.

You are correct our buffering is larger than the Pro Tools ADC, thus you will need to drag a track earlier in the timeline when using our plugin within your session to accommodate the extra delay. This is unique to Pro Tools because all other DAWS let us adjust the buffering inside the DAW. However, in Pro Tools you will not notice the latency when using on the two buss because you are hearing everything equally delayed. We do have a workaround and Avid is currently working on a fix for us, stay tuned!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post

mixanalog.com has been doing this for almost a year now, with a plugin version set to drop in a few months or so—they have a stereo pultec set, an ssl bus compressor, a fairchild limiter, two tape machines, a 1176, a couple precision EQs and a bettermaker limiter, with some more hardware on the way and a plugin version set to drop in a few months or so.

i'm surprised you managed to be unaware of their existence this long; maybe you ought to modify your press release slightly

i realize this is rude and kind of a downer, especially if you honestly had no idea they existed and were super excited to be the first ones to do this, so i apologize.
Sleep Circle - no worries, thanks for the heads up!

Regarding Mix:Analog:

-Access Analog equipment remains in unmodified original condition
-Access Analog works as a plugin from any DAW
-Access Analog streaming is real time in BOTH directions which allows you to actively mix and monitor with real time control while using the plugin* (as opposed to uploading a static stereo file)

We are the first to offer these features.

We hope you get a chance to compare the two -please let us know what you think!

*US Patent No. 10,140,087

Last edited by AccessAnalog; 18th September 2019 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: missing info
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Tried this during the beta and was very impressed. Will be using this for sure in my productions as I cannot justify owning and maintaining analog outboard gear.
Thanks for beta testing! Keep an eye out for an email from us - we've got some rewards coming for our testers

Also - stay tuned for new gear announcements - we'll be continually adding new gear to the menu!

Cheers
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Nut

Tested this in the beta phase and loved everything about it. And now the fusion is there to play with. Loves the results and had no problems with latency and sound on windows 10 on studio one 4. Worked perfect for me and can’t wait to keep on using it. Props to you guys on this one.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessAnalog View Post
Sleep Circle - no worries, thanks for the heads up!

Regarding Mix:Analog:

-Access Analog equipment remains in unmodified original condition
-Access Analog works as a plugin from any DAW
-Access Analog streaming is real time in BOTH directions which allows you to actively mix and monitor with real time control while using the plugin* (as opposed to uploading a static stereo file)

We are the first to offer these features.

We hope you get a chance to compare the two -please let us know what you think!

*US Patent No. 10,140,087
ahhh, well, then i suppose that is "for the first time." well done
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrizzie View Post
Tested this in the beta phase and loved everything about it. And now the fusion is there to play with. Loves the results and had no problems with latency and sound on windows 10 on studio one 4. Worked perfect for me and can’t wait to keep on using it. Props to you guys on this one.
Word!Thanks! And thanks for testing-keep an eye out for a thank you email!

You're going to love the Fusion!!!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Amazing idea. Definitely i'm booking couple sessions in the near future.
In preparation, take some time to learn about each device that you've reserved in the Analog Matrix and get your DAW session ready so you can make the most of your reservation - you will be happy with the results!

Don't forget you can easily save your settings and revisit it later if needed!

Commit and keep moving!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

looks very promising. the choosen hardware is also great. will test that for sure!
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

What AD/DA conversion is used? Also, what kind of setup does all the splitting? The stuff that makes it so the client can combine multiple units in series? Does this automatically mean multiple passes through AD/DA conversion, aka a digital matrix/mixer (something I'm not particularly fond of)?
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
What AD/DA conversion is used? Also, what kind of setup does all the splitting? The stuff that makes it so the client can combine multiple units in series? Does this automatically mean multiple passes through AD/DA conversion, aka a digital matrix/mixer (something I'm not particularly fond of)?
+1 on this question.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
We are using Lynx Aurora(n) for conversion. Our primary goal was to have high quality transparent conversion so that the actual gear is not colored on the way in/out.

We are currently using a digital matrix, and this is another reason we invested in the conversion. There is a tradeoff that we have debated endlessly. You can either have a digital matrix with the maximum flexibility of creating any analog chain you can dream up. Or, you can reduce the flexibilty and use some analog switching, or even create permanent chains of gear that are directly cabled. We are interested to see where the market demand takes us.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
We are using Lynx Aurora(n) for conversion. Our primary goal was to have high quality transparent conversion so that the actual gear is not colored on the way in/out.

We are currently using a digital matrix, and this is another reason we invested in the conversion. There is a tradeoff that we have debated endlessly. You can either have a digital matrix with the maximum flexibility of creating any analog chain you can dream up. Or, you can reduce the flexibilty and use some analog switching, or even create permanent chains of gear that are directly cabled. We are interested to see where the market demand takes us.
which Sample Rates are supported?

What is the buffer delay like on say, 88.2khz sized data?

Great you use Lynx Aurora (n)s, great choice as the base converter, however will you/you could add other converter options with colouring? Would love to get some Crane Song/Dave Hill with colouring options - like the HEDD-Quantum.

Another question, are we getting any visual feedback of the actual VU meters on units?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainCheck123 View Post
which Sample Rates are supported?

What is the buffer delay like on say, 88.2khz sized data?

Great you use Lynx Aurora (n)s, great choice as the base converter, however will you/you could add other converter options with colouring? Would love to get some Crane Song/Dave Hill with colouring options - like the HEDD-Quantum.

Another question, are we getting any visual feedback of the actual VU meters on units?
The buffer delay is the same at 88.2khz since our service streams at 24/48khz We will have a full resolution offline render option eventually for those that want to use 88.1khz and 96khz - currently most internet connections are not able to support streaming in stereo at high resolution in real time in both directions. When you try our service we think you'll see that the buffering is easy to get used to and that the sound of the hardware is easy to recognize through the excellent Lynx conversion.

We do like the idea of offering colored converters as alternative to the Aurora (n), we are just getting started but we are excited for the possibilities! We think you can get lots of color from the analog hardware processing without adding more in the conversion, but it could be fun to offer different options for those who want a double dose of color!

We have cameras mounted on the equipment that tracks the meters and translates this information to the plugin meters. Metering, monitoring and control are all synced in real time - you are seeing meters, controlling hardware and hearing the processing in real time.
Old 18th September 2019
Good idea! All of them are stereo?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why not using a digitally controlled analog patchbay, something like Flock Audio or Tegeler Audio are offering, that would do away with that trade-off
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Very cool.

yeah, being able to render in hi-res would be a good option. You could potentially offer a variation of the service where you have a queuing system that does peoples prints when the hardware is not being used, whether that's right after their session, or later in the day.

That make sense, because the data transfer could take longer than the print through the hardware.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres_feret View Post
Good idea! All of them are stereo?
Thanks! We have a variety of mono and stereo devices. We have pairs of most of our mono devices like 2 Distressors, 2 1176's, 2 Pultecs etc

One great feature is the ability to link the robotic controls of mono devices for use in stereo. You'll notice a 'link' button in the routing panel - just remember to reserve both mono units if you intend on using them in stereo.

We'll be continually adding new equipment, here's a link to the current equipment list https://accessanalog.com/equipment/

Here's a quick list:
Stereo
Manley Vari Mu
Black Box HG2
Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet
SSL G Comp
SSL Fusion

Mono
PULTEC EQP1A (2)
Empirical Labs Distressor (2)
Universal Audio LA2A
Universal Audio 1176 (2)
Warm Audio EQPWA
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post

Last time I checked all they had were clones.
But didn’t mentioned that on their website.

I like these guys transparency.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
Last time I checked all they had were clones.
But didn’t mentioned that on their website.

I like these guys transparency.
some of them are clones built from NOS, some of them are originals. i think they do mention which on the website, or at least, i knew from the beginning which ones were built in-house, and i must've read it somewhere.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Head

Hardware Photo of the Analog Matrix rack

For those of you interested in what the Analog Matrix rack in the cloud looks like, check out the attached photo.

We have a video from NAMM of the robotics in action on our Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMcEY1h..._web_copy_link
Attached Thumbnails
The Analog Matrix from Access Analog - connect to analog hardware in the cloud!-theanalogmatrix.jpg  
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
For those of you interested in what the Analog Matrix rack in the cloud looks like, check out the attached photo.

We have a video from NAMM of the robotics in action on our Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMcEY1h..._web_copy_link
woh
Old 19th September 2019
Tried this Service today.. Had a little hiccup but after rebooting system and clearing cache things worked Great so far.. The Silver Bullet is Awesome. Sounds Great. Appreciate all Chris's Help through email. Fast Replies!!

Now only if they had 4 Silver Bullets We could us at the same time, lolol Definitely Going to Buy One!!

KP
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search