The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overloud - COMP LA Opto Compressor - 2A and 3A version in one plugin!
Old 10th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Oh OK. Could the hardware compressors do this?
Nope. But adding that possibility wouldn't hurt imo...the saturation of the 2A sounds very good. Black Rooster added some modern functions on the VLA-FET so I don't get why he doesn't want to add this to a future update.
Old 10th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Nope. But adding that possibility wouldn't hurt imo...the saturation of the 2A sounds very good. Black Rooster added some modern functions on the VLA-FET so I don't get why he doesn't want to add this to a future update.
Gotcha. Well, I think matching the hardware functionality was BRA's original design philosophy. Times are a-changing though, so we'll see!
Old 22nd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Might be time to finally demo this seeing as BRA VLA-2A just went on sale for $39 and as yet I have neither. Nothing like a sale for spurring one into action and comparing what's on offer. The Overloud offering is 2A and 3A so it's already ahead in the race even before the testing process begins but I'd have to wait for BF as it's not currently on a heavily discounted sale.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Might be time to finally demo this seeing as BRA VLA-2A just went on sale for $39 and as yet I have neither. Nothing like a sale for spurring one into action and comparing what's on offer. The Overloud offering is 2A and 3A so it's already ahead in the race even before the testing process begins but I'd have to wait for BF as it's not currently on a heavily discounted sale.
There seems to be a dearth of 3A emulations in comparison to other hw units. I might even try out the Waves one. Anyone know whether that one is any good? Cheers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I like it as much as the UAD version.. seems to always be some gain in hand when the plug in instantiates, hard not to hear it as better, when you can find it for 29$ its worth that easily
Old 20th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Been looking to buy an native LA-2A plugin for a while now (I don't own one), the Overloud Comp LA has been on my radar along with the Native Instruments/Softube VC 2A, DMG TrackComp 2 and the IK White 2A. The VC 2A so for seems to be the one I'm most confident about. Again, I'm not interested in the UAD ecosystem.

Has anyone compared the Comp LA to the NI VC 2A? I'm really interested in something that nails both the timing and compression characteristics as well as the saturation and tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphenetre View Post
Been looking to buy an native LA-2A plugin for a while now (I don't own one), the Overloud Comp LA has been on my radar along with the Native Instruments/Softube VC 2A, DMG TrackComp 2 and the IK White 2A. The VC 2A so for seems to be the one I'm most confident about. Again, I'm not interested in the UAD ecosystem.

Has anyone compared the Comp LA to the NI VC 2A? I'm really interested in something that nails both the timing and compression characteristics as well as the saturation and tone.
I have just tried the Overloud one of the two mentioned.
But I been comparing to UADs LA2A and I liked the UAD more for some reason.
Trackcomp 2 is also very good.
But I use LA COMP all over my mixes. Love the 3A on guitars, bass and sometimes drums and vox if the timing fits the track

Last edited by mattias78; 20th April 2020 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: spelllliingg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
I have just tried the Overloud one of the two mentioned.
But I been comparing to UADs LA2A and I liked the UAD more for some reason.
Trackcomp 2 is also very good.
But I use LA COMP all over my mixes. Love the 3A on guitars, bass and sometimes drums and vox if the timing fits the track
What kind of guitars do you use the 3A on? Slightly driven/heavy? On a gtr bus or individual tracks?

How do you think the 3A is vs the UAD?
Old 20th April 2020
Gear Nut

Try analog obsession LALA. It’s free and sounds great
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
What kind of guitars do you use the 3A on? Slightly driven/heavy? On a gtr bus or individual tracks?

How do you think the 3A is vs the UAD?
I use it on electric guitars. Both hidden knobs at full clockwise(I think).so the la3a reacts to higher frequencies and distort a bit more. Just a few db of GR.

It was a long time since I tried the uad la3a. And it's a older version so it's not as closely emulated as the la2a and 1176.
But it's probably pretty good.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks. So, individual tracks or bus for you? Pretty sure CLA uses them on a bus but he mixes harder rock stuff than I normally do. I hardly ever use the UAD one but it is pretty good still - tends to distort fairly easily.

I’ll maybe check the Overloud demo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Thanks. So, individual tracks or bus for you? Pretty sure CLA uses them on a bus but he mixes harder rock stuff than I normally do. I hardly ever use the UAD one but it is pretty good still - tends to distort fairly easily.

I’ll maybe check the Overloud demo.
If I have a stereo pair of guitars it's usually a bus. Just like cla. But also 1176 sounds pretty good on guitars.
Old 28th November 2020
Here for the gear

Right now I'm checking the Black Rooster Audio VLA-2A and the Overloud COMP LA. I think they're pretty close but I'm leaning towards the Overloud. What do you guys think is the most close to the real deal? I haven't work with an actual Teletronix LA-2A yet
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoakgrove View Post
Right now I'm checking the Black Rooster Audio VLA-2A and the Overloud COMP LA. I think they're pretty close but I'm leaning towards the Overloud. What do you guys think is the most close to the real deal? I haven't work with an actual Teletronix LA-2A yet
You can/should if you have the coin compare it to the ones up on Access Analog (real deal) or MixAnalog (nice clone).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Long time since I even looked at a real la2a. But it doesn't matter. It sounds close enough.
No one will never notice the emulation in your songs
Here for the gear

Quote:
Long time since I even looked at a real la2a. But it doesn't matter. It sounds close enough.
No one will never notice the emulation in your songs
Well that's true. Scheps always says what matters is what comming out of the speakers lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well that's true. Scheps always says what matters is what comming out of the speakers lol
And it's so true.
I started to think about how weird all the emulation talk has become on gearslutz.
You choose the tool you need to fix or get a sound. Not because it sounds most true to the hardware.
If the track you work on lacks a bit of low-end or saturation then add a eq or something else to make up for what the track is missing.
I just don't think anyone sits in the studio and adds effects thinks about how close it is to the hardware.
We just take the stuff we need to make something sound the way we want.
I think we are making to much about how digital tools is sounding compared to hardware.
But scheps is a good example.very good engineer and a gentleman also
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Overloud is closer to my hardware LA-2A, and as an added bonus it also have the LA-3A in the same plugin, switchable with the same settings.

That said, the Black Rooster VLA-3A is also closer to my hardware LA-2A than their VLA-2A... Go figure.
If only one from BR, I would have gone VLA-3A... I have them both + the Overloud as well. But if I only could have one, I would've gone with the Overloud one.

As said, you get the two models (LA-2A and LA-3A) in one plugin... The overloud Comp LA is also much much lighter on the cpu... as in VERY much lighter
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And I, a non-GRAMMY winning audio engineer, say that what matters most is how it was recorded. Because despite all of the tricks we have up our sleeves these days, garbage in and garbage out still rings true with few exceptions (drum sample replacement, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
The Overloud is closer to my hardware LA-2A, and as an added bonus it also have the LA-3A in the same plugin, switchable with the same settings.

That said, the Black Rooster VLA-3A is also closer to my hardware LA-2A than their VLA-2A... Go figure.
If only one from BR, I would have gone VLA-3A... I have them both + the Overloud as well. But if I only could have one, I would've gone with the Overloud one.

As said, you get the two models (LA-2A and LA-3A) in one plugin... The overloud Comp LA is also much much lighter on the cpu... as in VERY much lighter
Agreed. VLA-3A gets used on every mix on multiple tracks...especially guitars and keys. Overloud gets used on vocals and bass.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:

Any thoughts on the new Slate FG-2A compared to the Overloud and your hardware?
Here for the gear

Quote:

That's actually great to hear. Thanks for sharing that. I know that at the end what matters is what's comming out of the speakers but also is nice to know how good the emulations are. might as well be a curiosity thing
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
And I, a non-GRAMMY winning audio engineer, say that what matters most is how it was recorded. Because despite all of the tricks we have up our sleeves these days, garbage in and garbage out still rings true with few exceptions (drum sample replacement, etc.)
Obviously man. I've been there and that changes everything. Is a completely different job because you're trying to fix something rather than bringing out all the goodness of the song
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphenetre View Post
Any thoughts on the new Slate FG-2A compared to the Overloud and your hardware?
Sorry... I have stopped using Slate long ago... So I can't compare to the FG-2A

PS. I still use some of the Slate stuff. The stuff I have on a perpetual license... I owned almost everything from Slate when they went subscription, and have been very dissapointed about how Slate have treated earlier customers... Not even a single great offer on perpetual licenses anymore.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry... I have stopped using Slate long ago... So I can't compare to the FG-2A

PS. I still use some of the Slate stuff. The stuff I have on a perpetual license... I owned almost everything from Slate when they went subscription, and have been very dissapointed about how Slate have treated earlier customers... Not even a single great offer on perpetual licenses anymore.
So you would recommend the vla-3a?
I like the overloud one but it doesn't really grab the mids even with distortion full on.
Have you tried the apogee la3a
It is on sale for 49$.
Its very nice actually.
Here for the gear

Quote:
So you would recommend the vla-3a?
I like the overloud one but it doesn't really grab the mids even with distortion full on.
Have you tried the apogee la3a
It is on sale for 49$.
Its very nice actually.
mmm well I think almost everything above 100hz will keep its transient if you compress it with an opto compressor due to the slow attack time
πŸ“ Reply