The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overloud - COMP LA Opto Compressor - 2A and 3A version in one plugin!
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great info guys.
Thanks
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
And notice one thing , Overloud were coding for cakewalk the prochannel modules (tape and console emu taking to make tapedesk) as well as other stuff ..TH3 wasnpart of sonar also /..///and you know what , when Gibson ditched cakewalk and sonar was about to die ...the Bandlab came ...they decided to let their tools in !!! while a lot of brands went out the wagon ./... Don't know if it was monetised or not (i don't think so si Cakewalk gave it to bandelab) but this is to be noticed ...
I didn't know this! I have a friend who's stayed with Sonar Pro over the years (doesn't want to switch over to Bandlab, at least for now) and loves it -a workflow he's got down cold, and that wonderful Prochannel, plus some other of their plugins; also a Roland pitch correction plugin that's either a part of Sonar or he uses within it -I'm not sure- and prefers to Melodyne.

I believe the magnificent Sonitus Ultrafunk plugins made the leap over to Bandlab. Those were among the very first tools I ever acquired way back when (before Cakewalk snapped them up) and used the heck out of!

Cool to find out that Overloud had such a hand in Sonar. Thank you! And that's a great summary of Overloud plugin strengths, as well!
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I didn't know this! I have a friend who's stayed with Sonar Pro over the years (doesn't want to switch over to Bandlab, at least for now) and loves it -a workflow he's got down cold, and that wonderful Prochannel, plus some other of their plugins; also a Roland pitch correction plugin that's either a part of Sonar or he uses within it -I'm not sure- and prefers to Melodyne.

I believe the magnificent Sonitus Ultrafunk plugins made the leap over to Bandlab. Those were among the very first tools I ever acquired way back when (before Cakewalk snapped them up) and used the heck out of!

Cool to find out that Overloud had such a hand in Sonar. Thank you! And that's a great summary of Overloud plugin strengths, as well!
Roland V vocal was ahead of compettion at that time like crazy , i used to use it for anything ... using intensiviliy (even teaching it at school lol) melodyne , still room for improvement in workflow but it's deep now .... you reminded me that i have to make a small tuto on it ....

Back to overloud , be sure guyz to try their eq 495 , piece of art !
Old 28th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i watched the overloud promo video, and was gobsmacked by the sound coming from the 3a in m/s mode on the drum buss.

mike white has just done a video review, i havent demo'd the plugins yet, but i really like what i'm hearing in the demo videos.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 28th September 2019 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: added video
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There are so many choices in the plugin market today, it makes choosing really hard. For the price this one costs, I could get DMG TrackComp, which seems to be getting more compressor models recently (EMI Zener, later date API 2500).
Old 29th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
There are so many choices in the plugin market today, it makes choosing really hard. For the price this one costs, I could get DMG TrackComp, which seems to be getting more compressor models recently (EMI Zener, later date API 2500).
Yeah so many good comps now. Feel like a kid in a sweet shop.

Edit: Not sure, you would have to check out the thread here on GS but I think people have been asking for DMG TrackComp to be resizeable so you would have to consider whether that is important for you.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This plugin sounds awesome but is there an option to remove the noise?
Old 4th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
This plugin sounds awesome but is there an option to remove the noise?
Eric, I am not sure what noise you mean? I haven't spotted any by ear.I guess I should check this out in Plugin Doctor.
You can turn off the Harmonics with the harmonics knob.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
Eric, I am not sure what noise you mean? I haven't spotted any by ear.I guess I should check this out in Plugin Doctor.
You can turn off the Harmonics with the harmonics knob.
This might be the best sounding Native algo LA-2A (still nothing touches UAD) and by far the best LA-3A period.
I'm so sorry, the noise was from another plugin. Shame on me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm so sorry, the noise was from another plugin. Shame on me.
I was about to answer "divorce" but you figured it out ...
Old 5th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed, BUT - has anyone compared the COMP LA 3A to the Black Rooster Audio VLA-3A?
Old 5th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed, BUT - has anyone compared the COMP LA 3A to the Black Rooster Audio VLA-3A?
I have not. I didn't relalise there was another native La-3a beyond Waves offering. I can compare them all on Monday when I return to the studio.
Cheers
Old 6th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, interested to hear your opinion.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Head

Alright I purchased the Black Rooster and will fire up a mix session for comparisons. Unfortunately I do not have the time to make a YouTube Video. Maybe this is something that @ Jeezo could do
Old 7th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
Alright I purchased the Black Rooster and will fire up a mix session for comparisons. Unfortunately I do not have the time to make a YouTube Video. Maybe this is something that @ Jeezo could do
The big problem for me with the Black Rooster VLA 2A/3A is their lack of output trim. It can saturate in a very nice way but you have to push it and no way to back off the output gain in the plugin. Don't know why but the dev seems to not want to add a simple trim button, nonsens...the two plugs sound great even if the 2A doesn't react like the UAD ones at all (more pumpy, less thick/organic). There was a long debate here on GS when the VLA-2A was released, lot of people were feeling like Black Rooster didn't come close to the real thing. But everybody was liking it anyway.

You can check the thread, it's interesting...
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wish UA will make mk2 version of LA3A very soon
So far I’m good with their LA2A Silver, Softube TLA100A, CLA3A.

I had a lot of hope for overloud 3a but it’s a miss for me

P.S. i had a nebula with timp opto library also, but workflow and thd is not for me. I’m particular with opto compressor
Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
Can you elaborate, please?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can you elaborate, please?
Don’t like the timing, THD, freq responce (loosing punch with it).
Good at CPU and GUI is great, actually
Gear Nut

Quote:
Don’t like the timing, THD, freq responce (loosing punch with it).
Good at CPU and GUI is great, actually
Could you elaborate on the “timing” ? THD huh so you the flavor doesn’t interest you?
Yes the MK2 is long over due from UAD, and is always being requested. Hell, it’s a universal audio product they don’t need any permissions or Licenses to do any updates for it
Gear Maniac

If i run out of hardware -> trackcomp

Nothing else has that sound
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So, I've tried them extensively yesterday.

I liked the 2A way better than Blackrooster's and DMG's Trackcomp. It worked beautifully on vocals. Really smooth.

As for the 3A, I still prefer Blackrooster's. Tested on acoustic guitars.

Anyway, I love the level of control of newer Overloud compressors. All developers should learn from them. +1 for the harmonics control, which is very useful.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6x View Post
Could you elaborate on the “timing” ? THD huh so you the flavor doesn’t interest you?
Yes the MK2 is long over due from UAD, and is always being requested. Hell, it’s a universal audio product they don’t need any permissions or Licenses to do any updates for it
Speed of attack and release
Harmonic distortion from overloud plugin doesn’t remind me la3a at all
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I wish UA will make mk2 version of LA3A very soon
So far I’m good with their LA2A Silver, Softube TLA100A, CLA3A.

P.S. i had a nebula with timp opto library also, but workflow and thd is not for me. I’m particular with opto compressor
The THD on Softube TLA100A is fantastic. Too bad their CL1B Mk2 has no THD , it would make it a perfect comp.
Old 9th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
The THD on Softube TLA100A is fantastic. Too bad their CL1B Mk2 has no THD , it would make it a perfect comp.
That’s absolutely true! I matched THD of softube tla100a to hardware Pultec ( i know it’s not really good comparison overall but this units has tube amplifiers )

I was talking with softube about that (why cl1b mk2 has no harmonic distortion)
They told me that real cl1b has no harmonic distortion. For me this is absolutely nonsense

P.S. also the problem with CL1b mk2 is the compressor curves and action. It behaves like dbx160. No joke. Real CL1B is somewhere as fast as 1176 actually (with attack and release set to 11 o’clock for example). So Softube did not a great job with this one personally

Last edited by EvgenyStudio; 9th October 2019 at 08:13 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was talking with softube about that (why cl1b mk2 has no harmonic distortion)
They told me that real cl1b has no harmonic distortion. For me this is absolutely nonsense
What a disappointing answer from them.
Gear Addict

Quote:
What a disappointing answer from them.
And a strange one, because when you check the CL1B MKI there are clearly harmonics added to the signal. The CL1B MKII is plain clean on the other hand.
Old 10th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
The big problem for me with the Black Rooster VLA 2A/3A is their lack of output trim. It can saturate in a very nice way but you have to push it and no way to back off the output gain in the plugin. Don't know why but the dev seems to not want to add a simple trim button, nonsens...the two plugs sound great even if the 2A doesn't react like the UAD ones at all (more pumpy, less thick/organic). There was a long debate here on GS when the VLA-2A was released, lot of people were feeling like Black Rooster didn't come close to the real thing. But everybody was liking it anyway.

You can check the thread, it's interesting...
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A
The VLA 3A has output gain. Just like the hardware. Or am I missing something? It isn't a trim but isn't that what our ears are for?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
The VLA 3A has output gain. Just like the hardware. Or am I missing something? It isn't a trim but isn't that what our ears are for?
Neither the Black Rooster's 2A nor the 3A have an output trim. So if you wanna make them sarurate you have to use another plugin to compensate. Not very easy convenient..
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the timing on the 3A is pretty good on certain things.
Really good on bass and guitars.
But on some closed miced drums it seems to let a bit too much transient through. But if you increase the distortion it starts to soften up the transients.
I like it on OH and Rooms where it shines with the M/S option.

I have not played with a real LA3A and it was a long time ago I mixed with the waves or UAD one. But I like this one very much on most sources but definately not on everything
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Neither the Black Rooster's 2A nor the 3A have an output trim. So if you wanna make them sarurate you have to use another plugin to compensate. Not very easy convenient..
Oh OK. Could the hardware compressors do this?
📝 Reply