The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overloud - COMP LA Opto Compressor - 2A and 3A version in one plugin!
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Skeksis, cool down.

The elixir is not ready.

The Scientist needs more time.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

The Electronic Dance audio demo on the product page sounds really nice.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Guyz deep testing done ...gonna give it a spin tomorow but so far :

My new Go to's (when it comes to LA's) .... will try to post a video tomorow ... but so far , one of the best/mature overloud release function wise , hoping to see this standard in all old plugins !!! this could bring some eq's and tapedesk with oversampling to another level !!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Yes the Over-Sampling on this one is spot-on .. on the Ultra setting is one of the cleanest yet quite efficient.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

How long is the intro price duration?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
How long is the intro price duration?
Usually 2 weeks if i m not mistaking ...
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
Skeksis, cool down.

The elixir is not ready.

The Scientist needs more time.
Roger that.
Old 18th September 2019
Here for the gear

Mid-Side is cool, but is there any way that I'm not seeing to unlink the channels (dual mono)?
This is the video they have on the product page, and 00:45 shows one of the best examples I've ever heard of why you need to unlink channels on some occasions.
The right channel is suffering badly from the single stereo detector.

This is why I actually stopped buying vst compressor which can't unlink (and slowly replacing the old ones I bought before realizing this).
BTW I really like Overloud and I think they make awesome stuff.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Guyz deep testing done ...gonna give it a spin tomorow but so far :

My new Go to's (when it comes to LA's) .... will try to post a video tomorow ... but so far , one of the best/mature overloud release function wise , hoping to see this standard in all old plugins !!! this could bring some eq's and tapedesk with oversampling to another level !!
Better than Brighton Opto even?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

This will possibly become my new go-to la-2a (Natively) as well.
The features are fantastic, great work Overloud!
I second Jeezo PLEASE add these new features to your other GEMs
I am finding myself however, LOVING the LA-3A more,
it’s absolutely killing it on the bass guitar I'm working on today and making easy work of it too!
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Better than Brighton Opto even?
No, I've just been A/Bing them. Brighton sounds more open and natural. Better transient control and makes the source pop. Hardly surprising though, it's a standout ITB comp.

Jeezo is algo only btw!
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
No, I've just been A/Bing them. Brighton sounds more open and natural. Better transient control and makes the source pop. Hardly surprising though, it's a standout ITB comp.

Jeezo is algo only btw!
How about TimP?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Editing video here .... the oversampling is X2 and X4 (info from Overloud) , i stated X2 and X8 in my video lol so gotta correct this ...

didn't knew about this Brighton Opto ...and i don't even know if i'm gonna test it ....the only thing that could be insteresting is the transient crontrol in this ...i do find that those LA's (all brands) can be pretty cliky when pushed on some heavy transients material ...

any one noticed a bug in mid side where the "S" is displayed even for mid ?
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Interested to hear how this compares to the NI/Softube VC-2A
Old 18th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Editing video here .... the oversampling is X2 and X4 (info from Overloud) , i stated X2 and X8 in my video lol so gotta correct this ...

didn't knew about this Brighton Opto ...and i don't even know if i'm gonna test it ....the only thing that could be insteresting is the transient crontrol in this ...i do find that those LA's (all brands) can be pretty cliky when pushed on some heavy transients material ...

any one noticed a bug in mid side where the "S" is displayed even for mid ?
I believe the "S" stands for "solo" - you can click it to solo either the mid or side.

Overall, I'm still on the fence on this one.. Amazing features all round and love the fact that you can just switch between the 2A and 3A.. but there's something about the way it handles transients that I'm just not sure about.

Even comparing to the old legacy UAD LA2A, I can easily just throw that on and get a "smooth leveling" effect without any weird side effects. The Overloud has a lot more control but also seems to be a lot more fussy. Just my initial thoughts after about an hour of playing, will have to test more..
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
How about TimP?
It beats Opto 32 also, that was my previous go to. Brighton is exceptional.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It beats Opto 32 also, that was my previous go to. Brighton is exceptional.
Brighton is also my fav itb for vocals. I meant did u compare the overloud to the opto32
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
I believe the "S" stands for "solo" - you can click it to solo either the mid or side.

Overall, I'm still on the fence on this one.. Amazing features all round and love the fact that you can just switch between the 2A and 3A.. but there's something about the way it handles transients that I'm just not sure about.

Even comparing to the old legacy UAD LA2A, I can easily just throw that on and get a "smooth leveling" effect without any weird side effects. The Overloud has a lot more control but also seems to be a lot more fussy. Just my initial thoughts after about an hour of playing, will have to test more..
THks Rob , lol didn tknew for the S witch is not at all instinctive ...
You re right about the transient i noticed that also , increasing harmonics helps a little to soften thinds ... a lookagead mod coukd' e great , but the transient issue becomes really noticeable when high gr is on the menu ...
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Apogee LA3A also deserves a shot imho.. it handles transient in a pretty good way me think..
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I'm not a 3A user .. However, the 2A so far sounds good for upto 5 db GR, more than that and it start showing some bumping (on vocals). In comparison to other plugins such as Softube TLA-100 and Arturia TUBE-STA they did better job IMO than this Comp-LA.

I'll compare it later to Kush Ar-1.

I never really thought the Softube / Summit Audio TLA-100 was going after an LA-2A vibe / emulation. Yes, they're both awesome mono tube compressors, and yes there is a setting given in the original manual, I think, for setting up a Summit to react like the LA-2A, but the resulting vibe is really different. Summit is faster, cleaner, no transformer, and has more VCA type control.

I have hardware Summit Audio MPC-100a pre / comp (which the manual says can be linked with a TLA-100 for stereo comp usage), and a Summit Audio DLC-2000. Neither of those has what I'd call an overly LA-2A vibe -not what they were going for. My STAM audio LA-2A clone, on the other hand does sound like an LA-2A!

I don't know the Arturia piece, but a STA type compressor and the Kush AR-1 are completely different animals altogether than an LA-2A. Comparing and contrasting different types of compressors is interesting, of course (especially vis a vis what works for various applications), but not all that helpful imo in trying to say which plugin does "a better job" in emulating the hardware. Which is how I'm reading the second part of your post.

What most people seem to want to know is "how does a plugin work in its own right and is it useful for us to obtain in our own workflow?" rather than, "does it emulate faithfully the hardware?," so if that's where you're coming from, great!

Personally, I'm also interested always in how close to the hardware we are getting virtually -which Softube with its Summit emulations is pretty darned close!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

When I trailed the Brighton opto compressor the main stand out feature IME against all other opto ITB plugins is the distortion characteristics, something quite special and does add tons of bigness and flavour into any source, including the master bus. However, I couldn't live with a 15% CPU usage per instance.

Unlike this Comp-LA which seems doesn't have the same life-ness, it's a good compressor though but then the bx_opto is also a good compressor ,, if you know what I mean.

I did compare Comp-LA vs Kush Ar-1 .. and easily the AR-1 is miles ahead, much more versatile and can bring a wide flavour from dark to bright. And both about the same price atm.

Also did a quick one versus Waves CLA-2A and the CLA-2a sounded small-ish and a bit on the bright/harsh side compared to Comp-LA. Which makes me believe that Comp-LA lives somewhere in the middle of the opto chart.

BTW .. I hope that GEM-EQ550 get updated soon with the enhanced over-sampling of the Comp-LA, it's already a very good API-style EQ.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I did compare Comp-LA vs Kush Ar-1 .. EQ.
The Kush AR-1 is not an Opto Comp like the LA-2A
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
The Kush AR-1 is not an Opto Comp like the LA-2A
it's a vari-mu .. so!
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Ok Guyz , here's my first contact with the new Overloud Comp LA suite !!

1) Intro and plugin tour

2) Use on bass (versus CLA) @ 9 min

3) On GTR (versus CLA) @ 14 min 32

4) On master Bus @ 24 min 37

5) Balancing a beat (snare / kick drum balance with built in sidechain) @ 24min37

6) Conclusion part I @ 35 min 28

7) Mid / Side on the master Bus @ 37 min

8) Conlusion Part II

Thks for watching ,
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
Can you please explain what this mean in case of one channel compressor?
Hi poshook, good question. I meant something that someone else in this thread called 'bigness', that is the immediate growth of the sound once it is run through some pieces of equipment. After level matching it still sounds not only louder, but bigger, wider, it fills the available space with more authority. I mean, these are all metaphorical descriptions of a hearing impression. I am not a hw vs plugin guy by the way, I mainly stay in the box. But I always felt that on the LA2A side the plugins didn't do it yet. And when I tried the Overloud I had the memory of working with (vintage) LA2A still very present in my brain. And the software didn't give me any of this thing that forces you to smile all the way.
Feature set is great though and it is a very good compressor plugin - like many others.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Guru

Tested heavily against the Softube / NI , IK and CLA :

The IK has teh smoothest transients response ...silky .... Softube and Overloud are kinda the same in transients ...Waves between IK and Overloud ..color wise overloud is thye most pleasing , edgy ...

Edit i added the CA 2A (Cakewalk) witch have a great snap also ...but more density in the comp LA , more contour , i have tested on an electro beat here ..

Last edited by Jeezo; 19th September 2019 at 01:50 AM..
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just tried them and they're nice compressors but very far from what they are trying to emulate (at least compared to my HWs).
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Just tried them and they're nice compressors but very far from what they are trying to emulate (at least compared to my HWs).
Hi homie , can we send you files and do A/B s ? What plugins do you consider the closest ? What i m seeing is tha all plugin pretty share the same vibes witch tells that at least the havecsomething in comon ... they question is what are they missingv?

Thks Mercato ... still happy with them ... but maybe honey mooning lol ..
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What plugins do you consider the closest
Obviously you're not asking me, but the answer is the UAD LA-2A collection. For folks without the UA DSP, I think the IK one is pretty good. This new one from Overloud is just as good as the IK one, but a little bit different on the transient handling.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
Obviously you're not asking me, but the answer is the UAD LA-2A collection. For folks without the UA DSP, I think the IK one is pretty good. This new one from Overloud is just as good as the IK one, but a little bit different on the transient handling.
Thks , yep i remember being pleased with one of the uad ones (the old grey i think) but Mac is dead ... octo useless until thunderbold windows comp comes to house ... so can't A/B UAD now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search