The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: New Soyuz Product - The Launcher
Old 13th September 2019
News Desk Editor

AES 2019: New Soyuz Product - The Launcher

New Soyuz Product - The Launcher

Soyuz Microphones will release “a little magic box” designed to give common microphones like the SM57 and SM58 the “Soyuz sound".

Introducing the Launcher

Imagine taking a piece of a vintage analog console and putting it in an affordable little box– a magic box that gives a rich and classic character to dynamic and ribbon microphones. Well, it’s no longer a fantasy.

The Launcher prides itself on being colored and loaded with character. Soyuz has achieved this with one of its custom transformers and a top-secret, analogue circuit that took more than two years to develop

The Soyuz Launcher is a “pre-pre-amp” similar to products by Cloud, sE, Royer, and Crimson, but unlike other boxes that promise clean, transparent gain, it will impart character and color while also boosting your gain by 25dB.

Take Your Sound With You

100% hand built in the Soyuz factory, The Launcher is simple, elegant and sturdy, with a 1.5mm sheet steel shell and no switches. It’s designed to be equally at home in the studio or at the gig. With The Launcher, you can truly take your sound with you.

Dream In Color

In the age of digital recording, “clean and silent” is not usually difficult to achieve. What’s often missing in recordings is that “x factor”: the color and personality that analog gear somehow brings to a track. With The Launcher’s custom transformer and analog circuit, that classic, colorful sound is now within reach of virtually anyone.

“At Soyuz, we’re always striving to create products that are useful to people. Our microphones are handmade and as such, quite expensive. Even our most affordable LDC, The Bomblet, is out of range for most recording enthusiasts. So we wanted to create something that could work with some very common gear like the SM58 and an Apollo or Focusrite to give people a way of getting some thickness, depth and personality into a chain that normally might not have it. We wanted The Launcher to be like a little piece of a classic analog board, but at a price point that would be within the range of almost anyone.”

Available October 15th, Worldwide

Price: $199 USD

For more information: https://soyuzmicrophones.com/launcher
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: New Soyuz Product - The Launcher-unnamed-3-.jpg  
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Guru
Great idea! Be curious to try....
Old 13th September 2019
Keen on checking this out. Just listened to the demo on the website, and the results are impressive indeed. But, I wish there were more (er, any) information about exactly now the demo was produced.

It says it's a full mix with and without Launcher. I'm guessing that means every mic was processed with it on the way in? Or does it mean the mix was simply run through a stereo pair of Launchers? It's got my interest piqued.

If someone from Soyuz could chime in with that info, i'd very much appreciate it.
Old 13th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Keen on checking this out. Just listened to the demo on the website, and the results are impressive indeed. But, I wish there were more (er, any) information about exactly how the demo was produced.

It says it's a full mix with and without Launcher. I'm guessing that means every mic was processed with it on the way in? Or does it mean the mix was simply run through a stereo pair of Launchers? It's got my interest piqued.

If someone from Soyuz could chime in with that info, i'd very much appreciate it.
Hey there!

I can definitely share some insight as I'm the one who played and recorded that sample.
Sorry for the confusion!

Actually, that SoundCloud example on the webpage was originally meant just for us internally. It was just a straight forward, quick'n'dirty shootout, but we were so happy with how audible the difference was we had to share.

Its a little snippet recorded with just a single SM57 with no processing on the way in.

One pass was straight into the preamps of my Apollo 8p MKii (no unison pres enabled) and the other was through the Launcher.
I level matched the two as close as possible before recording.

The track count was
- Acoustic Guitar (double-tracked)
- Vocal
- 2 Vocal pads
- 2 electric guitars
- Tambourine and Shaker

All that was done afterward was a quick balance of tracks levels and panning (100% identical for the Apollo and Launcher tracks) then bounce down to .wav

You can really hear the effects of The Launcher when all the parts come together. It's exactly what we wanted from it!

I hope that clarifies it a bit. I will update the website with some details above the audio file.

I'm happy to answer any other questions and we'll be sharing more info over the next few weeks before the release!

-Marc
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

sounds good.
any examples with condenser mics ?
Old 13th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
sounds good.
any examples with condenser mics ?
It needs 48v phantom power so The Launcher only works with dynamic and ribbons right now.

You could use an isolated phantom power supply between the mic and The Launcher but we haven't tried that and didn't design this version with condensers in mind.

It could yield some interesting sounds though!

EDIT: We have since tried it with our 017 TUBE flagship mic and it worked perfectly! Same with our 023 BOMBLET with a separate phantom power supply
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

the sound sample sound indeed great!
Old 14th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_SoyuzMics View Post
Hey there!

I can definitely share some insight as I'm the one who played and recorded that sample.
Sorry for the confusion!

Actually, that SoundCloud example on the webpage was originally meant just for us internally. It was just a straight forward, quick'n'dirty shootout, but we were so happy with how audible the difference was we had to share.

Its a little snippet recorded with just a single SM57 with no processing on the way in.

One pass was straight into the preamps of my Apollo 8p MKii (no unison pres enabled) and the other was through the Launcher.
I level matched the two as close as possible before recording.

The track count was
- Acoustic Guitar (double-tracked)
- Vocal
- 2 Vocal pads
- 2 electric guitars
- Tambourine and Shaker

All that was done afterward was a quick balance of tracks levels and panning (100% identical for the Apollo and Launcher tracks) then bounce down to .wav

You can really hear the effects of The Launcher when all the parts come together. It's exactly what we wanted from it!

I hope that clarifies it a bit. I will update the website with some details above the audio file.

I'm happy to answer any other questions and we'll be sharing more info over the next few weeks before the release!

-Marc
Very intriguing, thanks!
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Cool idea, way to jump into this area and be a little different! I almost facepalmed when I thought you guys were just doing a clean impedance/gain booster, I definitely want to hear some more clips!
Old 15th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Cool idea, way to jump into this area and be a little different! I almost facepalmed when I thought you guys were just doing a clean impedance/gain booster, I definitely want to hear some more clips!
Haha. Right on. Thanks!

We wanted it to be as unique as our mics and we put in the same level of fine-tuning and crafting to get to the "formula" we have now.

We'll have more audio and content to come soon!
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha. Right on. Thanks!

We wanted it to be as unique as our mics and we put in the same level of fine-tuning and crafting to get to the "formula" we have now.

Marc. I sent an email to the Soyuz address on the website, but I would be happy to review one of the units for you guys. I’ll forward the email to you as well.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha. Right on. Thanks!

Hi Marc, would this be a good fit for the Shure SM7b as well? The demo is mighty impressive..
Old 16th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Hi Marc, would this be a good fit for the Shure SM7b as well? The demo is mighty impressive..
Hey, there

Yes, absolutely!

In fact, the SM7B was the first mic used for the Launcher's initial design and tests.

The longer story is that while David Brown (Soyuz President/Co-Founder) is on the road regularly with his band Brazzaville, he will pack a mobile rig in a backpack for cutting vocals on the fly. There isn't always a Soyuz mic available (surprisingly) so his tour setup has previously been just the SM7B into a Focusrite Scarlett.

This lead to experimenting with the launcher to come up with something small, simple, rugged and portable to liven up the signal chain a bit and bring out a sense of the "Soyuz sound"

We should have some examples of the SM7B pairing soon!
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

is there a list of mics that work with the launcher?
Old 16th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
is there a list of mics that work with the launcher?

Any dynamic or ribbon mic will work with the Launcher!

You just need to feed it 48v phantom power from your interface or external preamp.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, there

Yes, absolutely!

In fact, the SM7B was the first mic used for the Launcher's initial design and tests.

The longer story is that while David Brown (Soyuz President/Co-Founder) is on the road regularly with his band Brazzaville, he will pack a mobile rig in a backpack for cutting vocals on the fly. There isn't always a Soyuz mic available (surprisingly) so his tour setup has previously been just the SM7B into a Focusrite Scarlett.

This lead to experimenting with the launcher to come up with something small, simple, rugged and portable to liven up the signal chain a bit and bring out a sense of the "Soyuz sound"

Great to hear as I often quickly set-up a SM7b in the control room to record acoustic guitar for songwriting sessions and it would be great to sometimes keep that take as there is something special about playing of the cuff the first time! Of course my Sm57 will benefit too! Look forward to the examples
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

This is 100% something I’ve wished existed. I recently switched from a few condensers to cutting my vocals with an SM57 but wish there were a little more life to the results.

Any idea on availability and cost in Canada?
Old 17th September 2019
This is gonna sound slick with my sm5
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Would it have much of an affect being fed a guitar/bass/keyboard/line level signal from a DI? Or maybe as the amplification in a passive summing situation?
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

I'll be getting this bad boy to use with my SM7B. Looking forward to examples.
Old 17th September 2019
Mho
Lives for gear

The demo sounds great. What is this doing? Is just an eq?
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, there

Yes, absolutely!

This sounds very promising!

Do you have any UK/EU resellers? Not sure whether to pre-order on your site or wait for EU stock.
Old 17th September 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
This is 100% something I’ve wished existed. I recently switched from a few condensers to cutting my vocals with an SM57 but wish there were a little more life to the results.

Any idea on availability and cost in Canada?
I know what you mean!

We'll be shipping worldwide on Oct 15th. It will be $199 USD from our website but we don't charge VAT, duties and/or taxes on orders outside of LA so I can't say for certain what (or if any) costs might be.

Diffusion Audio is also our Canadian dealer

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you have any questions about ordering or logistics though! [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkeller View Post
Would it have much of an affect being fed a guitar/bass/keyboard/line level signal from a DI? Or maybe as the amplification in a passive summing situation?
This is something I have been curious about but have not yet tried personally. It might be a bit funky to set up as a DI.

It's expecting a balanced input. But we strongly encourage experimentation here! It could sound really cool and then be another additional use.

Using it for make-up gain with passive summing is something has been brought up to us a ton but also something we haven't tried. I have no doubt it would add something special. I have one of the Roll Music Folcrom passive summing boxes. It's not in my patch bay at the moment, but I can try to wire it back in soon and give it a shot.

This feedback is great! We've spent all our time making it sound and work perfectly with mics primarily so we love hearing other suggestions of ways to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
This sounds very promising!

Do you have any UK/EU resellers? Not sure whether to pre-order on your site or wait for EU stock.
You can absolutely get on the pre-order list to reserve one through us or we have dealers all over the world with a full list here
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict
wow. stoked for this. been missing the extra weight that my outboard pre added to my tracks. sold it off to go full Apollo/Unison, and while that stuff sounds and works awesome, there is still some unquantifiable secret sauce analog fairy dust dimensionality i feel is missing. tracks cut with my outboard pre just kind of fell into the mix a bit easier and seemed to hold their ground. hearing the examples on the Soyuz site with this in vs out of the chain really illustrated the same thing, IMO.

LOVE soyuz more and more as a company everyday!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

The sound sample is impressive. I look forward to hearing more. This might be great in a live setup.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

Hi,
Would it work for tube condenser microphones? I work with them on stage and usually need around 25db gain, so this is very interesting!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSedor View Post
Hi,
Would it work for tube condenser microphones? I work with them on stage and usually need around 25db gain, so this is very interesting!
This thing works on the same basic principle as a cloudlifter or similar device. You feed it phantom power and it give you a dB boost. In this case its not clean/transparent gain, it's colored with some cool sounding circuitry. The only issue is phantom doesn't pass through it as it needs all that voltage to operate, so any mic that needs phantom power isn't going to work with it. You could use it with a dynamic, ribbon or tube mic as the tube mic has it's own supply. You'll still need another preamp to send power to the device though.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I know what you mean!

We'll be shipping worldwide on Oct 15th. It will be $199 USD from our website but we don't charge VAT, duties and/or taxes on orders outside of LA so I can't say for certain what (or if any) costs might be.

Diffusion Audio is also our Canadian dealer

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you have any questions about ordering or logistics though! [email protected]

This is something I have been curious about but have not yet tried personally. It might be a bit funky to set up as a DI.

It's expecting a balanced input. But we strongly encourage experimentation here! It could sound really cool and then be another additional use.

Using it for make-up gain with passive summing is something has been brought up to us a ton but also something we haven't tried. I have no doubt it would add something special. I have one of the Roll Music Folcrom passive summing boxes. It's not in my patch bay at the moment, but I can try to wire it back in soon and give it a shot.

This feedback is great! We've spent all our time making it sound and work perfectly with mics primarily so we love hearing other suggestions of ways to try it.

You can absolutely get on the pre-order list to reserve one through us or we have dealers all over the world with a full list here
Thanks Marc. I reached out to the Canadian distro and will preorder as soon as they have all the details.

This is my most anticipated thing this year. I used to keep a Roland VX-55 mixer just for the extra edge it gave to my mics but it was noisy and big and didn’t have XLR in or out.

Unique products like this at a decent price change the game. Thank you!
Old 20th September 2019
Company Rep

Here is a new video that takes more of a deep dive into The Launcher!

Our friend and YouTuber, Cuckoo, puts it through some serious paces with a:

Sennheiser E935
Shure SM58
Shure SM7B
Rode NT3 (Yes! A condenser!)

And then demonstrates a mix for context.

Check it out HERE

Let us know what you think!
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here is a new video that takes more of a deep dive into The Launcher!

Our friend and YouTuber, Cuckoo, puts it through some serious paces with a:

Sennheiser E935
Shure SM58
Shure SM7B
Rode NT3 (Yes! A condenser!)

And then demonstrates a mix for context.

Check it out HERE

Let us know what you think!
Sounds very good! I'm planning to use it with an SM7B and noticed the bit about noise. Have you found that this depends more so on the audio interface it's plugged into, or is it just something that comes with the territory with a low gain mic like the 7B? I would've assumed that the gain boost from the Launcher would be enough to overcome most obvious noise issues.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search