The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Airwindows Monitoring: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I didn't realize this simple thing was so cumbersome. Would you need other weird things, like being able to monitor side but in phase rather than out of phase, and in L or R speaker? None of it gets to be part of Monitoring because I have very specific ideas about what belongs in there, but it's sounding like this will actually happen.
I suppose some other options would be handy, too. Before I had your mid/side plugins (EveryTrim was a godsend, like having the Alt/Vert option of a Fairchild 670 without the compression) I would find myself concocting these things by putting various channels out of phase, etc, which I could use to maybe solve or isolate problems in mastering from old or amateur recordings, sometimes not made under the most ideal of circumstances (more like forensics or reverse engineering).

This will come in handy at some least-expected of times (thanks).
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

The Fletcher Munson trick could be used for fade outs too, as it was back in the day. (Not that fade outs are that popular these days of course).
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The Fletcher Munson trick could be used for fade outs too, as it was back in the day. (Not that fade outs are that popular these days of course).
= a challenge to Chris to use his smooth automation magic on it... no biquads here then!!
Old 12th September 2019
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
First of all - I really like the cans option. It makes mixing on headphones much more easier and fun. The transients are more pronounced and the end result translates better across monitors later on.

I recently watched this video by Dan Worall which is about using Fletcher-Munson curves for adjusting to mixing on lower levels. I have been using this tip with Slick EQ M version but I think this would be a nice addition to Monitor. So the idea would be that you have a nominal level which is for loud mixing ( say - monitors calibrated to 85dB ) with no eq changes and then as you decrease or increase the output of plugin it would compensate with appropriate Fletcher-Munson curve but Airwindows style.

This could be the output of Monitoring or even a new plugin but maybe this is an idea to explore further - how to preserve spectral content across different mixing levels.
That's not for Monitoring and isn't as useful as you'd think (you still have literally the exact same problem of setting levels but now you have it twice: set the full-crank level which you hope is the correct balance, and then set the reduced level which presents the same EQ but you're listening quieter.) All you're doing is decoupling your sense of frequency balance from volume, like if you had a 'loud' button you get to press part way for some of your monitoring. Not recommended, not part of Monitoring, might well screw you up more than it helps you.

But!

I can still do it, using Airwindows biquad notches in parallel. I'll give you one, though it'll be optimized for 44.1K (where the available range sticks very close to human hearing without exceeding it in any way) because that's a natural match with the biquad notches: I can get a more high quality version if it's not overcomplicated. High sample rate use will just make it be mellower and less fatiguing in the super-highs, which seems appropriate (center frequencies of course will be unchanged).

And again, not recommended on principle as a serious monitoring tool. But I can still give it to you: if it takes too long bug me about it, tell me it's the one with the parallel notches. I still owe people a promised 'dirty jack' filter and a wobbly-cassette-tape plug, though since SketchCassette came out the heat is off the latter one as people seem to think SC is mighty cool
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
All you're doing is decoupling your sense of frequency balance from volume, like if you had a 'loud' button you get to press part way for some of your monitoring. Not recommended, not part of Monitoring, might well screw you up more than it helps you.
This. It's important to know what music actually sounds like at different volumes as part of the mixing process. Plus; how do you measure how much of a curve you need without some kind of reference? I suppose it might work as some kind of magic eq curve on occasions or, having determined the volume you're going to work at, make some reference track sound as good as you can to taste. I've heard of a top mixing engineer creating an eq curve (beyond the mixing stage, just on the monitors) on a track he knew well to make working in a new environment a little more familiar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search