Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System - Page 12 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec announces 8351B and 8361A coaxial monitors and W371A Adaptive Woofer System
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
I would like to know also
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Pidjay View Post
There's nowhere in France where I can listen to the 8351b or 8361a
so this is not an option here.
Have you contacted these dealers in France and requested a listening demo? They might even have a demo setup already built into their shop /demo room.

https://www.genelec.com/en/where-buy...g=2.213749#map

I would never have the nerve to make that kind of decision based on forum comments, no matter who wrote it.
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi Ilkka,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately there's no demo room anywhere near Paris. Even being able to order the 8361A or 8351B is really not easy. Audiopole the Genelec distributor can finally sell me thoses products because i can't find them anywhere else.

I'll have to make my decision based on the informations i can get, even if it's not ideal.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Ilkka,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately there's no demo room anywhere near Paris. Even being able to order the 8361A or 8351B is really not easy. Audiopole the Genelec distributor can finally sell me thoses products because i can't find them anywhere else.

I'll have to make my decision based on the informations i can get, even if it's not ideal.
I think it’s fair to say that in evaluation of monitors, size matters. The 8361A is much bigger than 8351B: Baffel is much bigger, so is speaker volume (heightXwidthXdepth) and so are the race circuit woofers that are crossed over at 320 Hz (in both 8361A and 8351B). The 8361A is more than twice as heavy as 8351B.

What is your experience regarding small and bigger monitors?

How much of this experience of yours can be explained by specifications? What is left, unexplained, by specs alone?
Gear Head

Hi svarthvitt,

I am mainly experienced with DIY monitors, as during the past 15 years i mainly worked on loudspeakers I "designed" Hypex Amplifiers, ScanSpeak drivers etc...

I am aware of the benefits of a larger baffle, woofers etc and the compromises.
But in this specific situation, the only specifications that made the choice unclear is the off-axis response of the 8361A. If it was the same as the 8351B i believe there will be no question regarding which one is "the best".

That's why i was trying to have so testimony of peoples who had listen to both models.

Quote:
How much of this experience of yours can be explained by specifications? What is left, unexplained, by specs alone?
Sorry about my english but i don't understand what do you mean ?

Thank you
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi svarthvitt,

I am mainly experienced with DIY monitors, as during the past 15 years i mainly worked on loudspeakers I "designed" Hypex Amplifiers, ScanSpeak drivers etc...

But in this specific situation, the only specifications that made the choice unclear is the off-axis response of the 8361A. If it was the same as the 8351B i believe there will be no question regarding which one is "the best".

That's why i was trying to have so testimony of peoples who had listen to both models.

Thank you
I'm in the same dilemma
The 8351B measures better from what i understand, but it's not that dramatic, and I'd rather not to be restricted by SPL or bass output, the 8361A is almost double the size and weight of the 8351B, in the real world it's the better monitor.
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi Monitor Noob,

I'm also leaning more toward the 8361A...
Gear Nut

If you plan on adding a sub then get the 8351B, if not get the 8361A, in any case you won't be disappointed. 👍
Old 22nd November 2020
Lives for gear

Still loving my 8351's with GLM kit.
Lovely stuff!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi svarthvitt,

Thank you
@ Jazzy Pidjay , given your experience in DIY I reckon you also have experience in measurements and interpretation of specifications? And even if you look at all the specs and measurements, is there a part of the perceived sound that cannot be attributed to just specs and measurements? If you just look at specs and measurements, the naive observer would think that 1236A and 8010A sound very much the same; and he is right in some aspects but very off in others. So specs and measurements help you a lot acknowledging at the same time that common sense can be used to add to the spec sheets.

Genelec make lots of speakers and size is what separates most of them. I have 8351a, S360A+7382A and G3/8030C+2xF2 myself. I have had 8361A for trial listening and listened to other Genelecs as well. What strikes me is that the Genelec monitors sound almost the same in many respects. The one thing that obviously separates them, is size and capacity. I have never been able to convince myself that small is beautiful in terms of sound quality. Size matters and I would go for the biggest that fits my budget. Because The Ones are «point source» you can sit very close to 8361A despite its size. Genelec describe 8361 as their flagship of The Ones range. I would not challenge Genelec in their choice of words.
Gear Head

Hi svarthvitt,

Thank you for your elaborated answer,

Originally my question was not really about 8351B vs 8361A alone but the 8351B+7370 vs 8361A. Which is a more complexe decision involving not just size of the main monitors.

But, you're alright, I think i'll go for the 8361A.

You say you've got the 8361A for trial. Why did you decide to not buy them ?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
@ Jazzy Pidjay , given your experience in DIY I reckon you also have experience in measurements and interpretation of specifications? And even if you look at all the specs and measurements, is there a part of the perceived sound that cannot be attributed to just specs and measurements? If you just look at specs and measurements, the naive observer would think that 1236A and 8010A sound very much the same; and he is right in some aspects but very off in others. So specs and measurements help you a lot acknowledging at the same time that common sense can be used to add to the spec sheets.

Genelec make lots of speakers and size is what separates most of them. I have 8351a, S360A+7382A and G3/8030C+2xF2 myself. I have had 8361A for trial listening and listened to other Genelecs as well. What strikes me is that the Genelec monitors sound almost the same in many respects. The one thing that obviously separates them, is size and capacity. I have never been able to convince myself that small is beautiful in terms of sound quality. Size matters and I would go for the biggest that fits my budget. Because The Ones are «point source» you can sit very close to 8361A despite its size. Genelec describe 8361 as their flagship of The Ones range. I would not challenge Genelec in their choice of words.
What did you feel were the main differences between 8351B.and 8361A?
Thanks
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi svarthvitt,

Thank you for your elaborated answer,

Originally my question was not really about 8351B vs 8361A alone but the 8351B+7370 vs 8361A. Which is a more complexe decision involving not just size of the main monitors.

But, you're alright, I think i'll go for the 8361A.

You say you've got the 8361A for trial. Why did you decide to not buy them ?
I already got the S360A for extra capacity with a sub. So I tested the 8361A just for curiosity. When I used the 7382 sub for both S360A and 8361A, the difference in sound was «academic». This speaks volumes about the Genelec way of making «reproducers» of the source signal.
Gear Head

Thank you for your help and feedback !
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor noob View Post
What did you feel were the main differences between 8351B.and 8361A?
Thanks
I have the 8351A, not the B.

I had the 8361A for trial in my own rooms. Prior to that, I had been to an audition with the new 8351B+W371A.

The new range, 8351B and 8361A, sound - if my memory serves me (take it with a pinch of salt) - more compact, snappier. This perception could be explained by the new range being more phase correct and having better drivers throughout.

If I were to choose between 8351B and 8361A, I would put emphasis on what I call the «size factor», where the 8361A is more than twice as heavy as the 8351B.

And remember, a sub that is crossed over at 50-100 Hz cannot make up for less membrane material in the mid bass frequencies above 100 Hz.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

What is the best way to save your current profile and use it inside GLM 4

Last edited by JblKid95; 3 weeks ago at 09:15 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I will be getting my 8351B with 7370A sub next month, i will give u my opinion. will be calibrated by genelec guys with GLM Kit
📝 Reply