The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
United Plugins presents: Front DAW by Soundevice Digital - Free for a limited time
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

The last hour!
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Not to dogpile but some people out there would not have made it in the all analog era. You younger guys have no clue how funny some complaints come across to the audio veterans.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Not to dogpile but some people out there would not have made it in the all analog era. You younger guys have no clue how funny some complaints come across to the audio veterans.
The reading of some complains somehow draw a comparison of me cutting multitrack drums on the tape by razor... and being so happy that is even possible.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

You and your lapdog Artie are hilarious. I have absolutely zero affiliation with whoever makes Tantrum (Creative something or other. I really should find out tho because I am a shill for them, right??). And the idea that they are a competitor trying to bad mouth your company is yet another ridiculous assumption. Assume whatever you like. I really don't care. Although one could also assume that based on his pitbull responses Artie is either related to and/or is a shill for you. Here's an sincere question that I'm sure I'll never get an sincere answer to: When you first tried Front DAW in a project, did you not say to yourself "This thing's pretty good, but it would be even better with an output knob??"
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I tested this plugin more thoroughly over the weekend, I like it a lot.

The filter is great.

Thanks Carloff and UP.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

I think I missed the free version by a few minutes :(
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict
I’d like to add that I’m one of the happy users of the product and am satisfied with its current design. And thanks again for the gift, can’t wait to see what’s coming down the pipeline,.
Hoping for other preamps to be added in the future
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratti View Post
I think I missed the free version by a few minutes :(
That's a bummer my friend.

It's a great plugin, I use it as much as I use True Iron, I think they both have their strengths.

Unsure what the price will be now that the freebie's vaporised.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the great freebie! :-)
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Ok
Now that it costs money, I'll add my expected fr.
Please add to the plug the followings:

Compressor
Reverb
Distortion
And most importantly: Saturationnnn !!!! [And harmonics. But mind you, please only the best harmonics !]
Oh, and please change the plug's name to "holier-than-daw"

Thanks
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r View Post
Ok
Now that it costs money, I'll add my expected fr.
Please add to the plug the followings:

Compressor
Reverb
Distortion
And most importantly: Saturationnnn !!!! [And harmonics. But mind you, please only the best harmonics !]
Oh, and please change the plug's name to "holier-than-daw"

Thanks
I'll add to this...

@ carloff should cut everyone who left feedback here and on other message boards a $100 check. That's what people in focus groups get a lot of times and it's only fair that our unsolicited feedback be properly rewarded! Digital 1's and 0's simply aren't enough compensation.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I've not got much going on in my life right now, so I'm going to listen to Front Daw and find a few things to complain about...

Remember 'free' comes with a heavy price tag... the price of first-world-millennial-entitlement bitching.

Warning to potential and existing developers - offer something 'free' at your cost!
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

I don't usually get involved with these kind of forum bust-ups but I feel compelled to make some quick and simple points.
  • A polite request for an output trim is not a whiney, ungrateful, entitled complaint. A whiney complaint is a whiney complaint.
  • Having a trim control doesn't force you to use it. You can still ride the DAW fader if it suits your work flow.
  • Front DAW is a *commercial* product that was temporarily free. Am I grateful? YES!
  • If I was a developer, I'd want people to use my products as much as possible, and adding a simple output trim control would seem like a good way of making that happen without compromising too much.
  • Finally, there's nothing 'wrong' or 'impure' about an output trim
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I'll add to this...

@ carloff should cut everyone who left feedback here and on other message boards a $100 check. That's what people in focus groups get a lot of times and it's only fair that our unsolicited feedback be properly rewarded! Digital 1's and 0's simply aren't enough compensation.
Actually, what's funny is, when i downloaded this very generously-free and great-sounding plugin, Sounddevices actually *did* send me a 10 Euro coupon towards a future purchase. Not exactly a check for $100, but since we're intent on highlighting the entitled absurdity taking place in this thread, it's certainly worth a mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Remember 'free' comes with a heavy price tag... the price of first-world-millennial-entitlement bitching.
this here is a signature-worthy quote
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

This was already mentioned, but worth repeating:

All you have to do is turn down the input and crank up the drive. No need for an output trim. Same result.

I don’t know about the proposed use (first insert on every channel), but it holds up very well as a basic saturator. I don’t know if it is better than the Slate/Kush preamp plugs, but I LOVE that you get different flavors in one interface. It’s really a waste of time to set up separate plugins to see which one fits the track. I’m often surprised by which one is best.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
It's very strange for @ profvonsok to be calling other posters belligerent.
My best use of the Ignore button ever!.... Anyway, for $5- buy the Hornet and your free plugin just cost you $5- with gain staging........

How 'bout you guys spend two years working on a great song, release it for free give it away to someone who insists that you remix it, because they don't think it's loud enough and needs a piano......plus says you have dark designs to make them buy the album you have coming out (that you gave them a $10- coupon for)......

and you guys wonder why GS suffers from a brain drain.....Yikes!

I use it with VCC and Britson that I did spend money on, and consider well spent......

Wonderful and useful tool.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
The reading of some complains somehow draw a comparison of me cutting multitrack drums on the tape by razor... and being so happy that is even possible.
Dude! STEP AWAY from the razor..... put it down and walk very slowly, away from the thread, until you feel better......
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Lest anyone think the developer receives nothing but your respect and gratitude from this arrangement, you’re not thinking hard enough.
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Lest anyone think the developer receives nothing but your respect and gratitude from this arrangement, you’re not thinking hard enough.
What does the developer receive?

EDIT: Bingo! I thought hard and 'got it.'

The developer get's respect, gratitude, three entitled trolls,....and a warm glow of satisfaction at creating plug-ins that sound so awesome that thousands of people will buy the full product based on the free taster.

Forum trade at it's finest. Viva Gearslutz!

Last edited by Arthur Stone; 16th September 2019 at 11:48 PM..
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Attic View Post
Why? It's a pre-amp for Bob's sake. Its expected behaviour is to increase gain.

You all have a track fader don't you?

[minority view report ends]

T
Oopsie... made an oopsie

preamps with output knobs
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

I love a plugin that makes me use less plugins!

Excellent work devs. Will be paying attention to whatever United comes up with next.
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

what @ profvonsok is mad about is the bait and switch business model. which is cool to be mad about.. free or no free. bait and switch is bait and switch
and ya'll got me. I'm a millennial

to keep it real the free version is amazing. i don't need to buy squat!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

The requests have been asked constructively or politely, nearly always paired with supportive and positive comments about the plugin. Ironically those against feature requests are often the most aggressive participants in the thread.

To equate such a simple—and often friendly—request as 'millennial self entitlement' is categorically absurd, and FWIW, a projection of a self-entitled sense of authority.

People are just sharing an opinion. That's called free speech and is, as Doom says, very valuable to the developer.
Old 17th September 2019
Tbh, the whole point of forums like this is to give feedback, praise, critique on software/hardware that comes out.
So idk why folks feeling a way about folks making a request. Whether free or not, it doesn’t mean they aren’t grateful.

Another company who relies on gearslutz for feedback, won’t say their name cuz it’s not important, made changes to a temporarily free plugin that was based on the request of the majority in the thread. For all we know, those same people could be in this thread as one of them asking for output gain. Doesn’t hurt to try and request.

So I know for me personally not only did I give great praise to this plugin, but hey wanted to throw a little request of a output gain. Others may have been a bit detailed or some harsh on that request, but let’s not bunch em all up into “millennials complaining”.

Without the “complaining” they wouldn’t get to hear the recommendations from others to have alternate options to compensate gain changes from the frontdaw. That’s the beauty of gearslutz, you go through these pages of information and end up finding someone who’s dropping a gem.

Great plugin seriously. Best advice for output I saw and tested is just use the input to back off some gain and use mojo. That worked for me so no output trim, that’s cool fam appreciate the freebie
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluggdude View Post
what @ profvonsok is mad about is the bait and switch business model. which is cool to be mad about.. free or no free. bait and switch is bait and switch
and ya'll got me. I'm a millennial

to keep it real the free version is amazing. i don't need to buy squat!
It's one thing to request extra features on a free plug-in but another to say that the software is crippled, etc.

EDIT: BTW the word 'millennial' has only been used three times in this thread: in the three posts preceding this one. Go figure. Personally I love 'millennials' EDIT: joke removed in case it offends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The requests have been asked constructively or politely, nearly always paired with supportive and positive comments about the plugin. Ironically those against feature requests are often the most aggressive participants in the thread.

To equate such a simple—and often friendly—request as 'millennial self entitlement' is categorically absurd, and FWIW, a projection of a self-entitled sense of authority.

People are just sharing an opinion. That's called free speech and is, as Doom says, very valuable to the developer.
Yes most requests have been constructive and polite but some are rude and aggressive.

Last edited by Arthur Stone; 17th September 2019 at 02:35 PM..
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

To finish the ugly part of the thread about whining and requests and so on...

I'm very happy for any feedback. We are always listening to customers. (As you could check with Royal compressor for instance)...All the requests were very useful for us. And we will definitely implement something of this in the future product (if would happen...). All was very legit and I was grateful for this kind of feedback...

But what I didn't like was rude and insulting accusations based on guesswork and calling product "crippled" , us and our work "disingenuous" and calling it our duty to give away some new features for free... We have in Czech a saying: "Give a finger to a devil, he will take your hand".

Anyway, thanks to everyone, who downloaded the product and liked it, also thanks to everyone who didn't like it, because it made us think, why.
In the plugin is quite a lot of work, so if we made anyone happy with it, if anyone likes the sound, it is the best commission for us....
I hope that a lot of great music would be created with the smallest help of FRONT DAW...!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
But what I didn't like was rude and insulting accusations based on guesswork and calling product "crippled" , us and our work "disingenuous" and calling it our duty to give away some new features for free... We have in Czech a saying: "Give a finger to a devil, he will take your hand
Indeed, no need for that at all. FTR I was speaking of those who were constructive (the vast majority!).
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Indeed, no need for that at all. FTR I was speaking of those who were constructive (the vast majority!).
I know!
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Your released a plugin that by most accounts should have an output. And you give cryptic non-answers to people directly asking about one. That's being disingenuous. Sorry that I called a spade, a spade. All hope is not lost. Learn from it and try not to play silly games next time.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

I don't have a dog in this race but I just wanted to say that

three entitled trolls

Is an AWESOME name for a band! or could be an even better name for a new plugin, you have completely outmaneuvered any negative feedback before it even starts
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search