The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Navy2: the MODERN DREAMWARE ANTHOLOGY.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartob View Post
Is there any official statement about changing "rate conversion" and its effects on 48Khz sample rates projects?

I use mostly 48 too, but I'd like to know if we should consider changing for 44.1 since most updates and new releases aren't 48 sampled yet...

I took a look at the XML files for the libraries I have and this is what I have found:

Coral 2 (AU): 9000000
Coral Baxter (VST3): 300000
Crimson (AU): 1000000
Diamond 3 (AU): 300000
Diamond 3 (VST3): 300000
N4 player (AU): 4500000
N4 player (VST3): 4500000
N4 Virgo (AU): 4500000
PinkCM (AU): 0
Sand 3 (AU): 9000000
Sand 3 (VST3): 9000000
Taupe (AU): 9000000
Taupe (VST3): 9000000
VioletCM (AU): 1000000

- most numbers are from channel strip XML.
- While the new Sand 3 is 9k, Diamond 3 is just 300000...
- I didn't run any tests but sometimes my DAW is very slow, irresponsive, or even crashing
- I always use Diamond 3! ?

My main questions are if I should try to change Diamond 3 for 9k rate conversion or starting to think about 44.1 from now on...?

Thanks
As far as I know, the Rateconversion parameter is for libraries that are not native to the sample rate of your project. My guess is the diference in value is related to plugin complexity, and that sometimes needs adjusting depending on your system speed.

Acquas are released with 44.1 and 96 khz sample "packs", so it is then when the parameter is relevant, as the plugin will need to resample its native samples to your project sample rate if you are working in 48 or 88.2.

But usually not long after introductory sale ends, they release the 48 and 88.2 sample packs (thus the big update files). By then, this parameter should be irrelevant.

But, that´s just my deduction from observing the behavior. If I´m wrong, hopefully someone will correct my assumtions.

Hope this helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc23 View Post
As far as I know, the Rateconversion parameter is for libraries that are not native to the sample rate of your project. My guess is the diference in value is related to plugin complexity, and that sometimes needs adjusting depending on your system speed.

Acquas are released with 44.1 and 96 khz sample "packs", so it is then when the parameter is relevant, as the plugin will need to resample its native samples to your project sample rate if you are working in 48 or 88.2.

But usually not long after introductory sale ends, they release the 48 and 88.2 sample packs (thus the big update files). By then, this parameter should be irrelevant.

But, that´s just my deduction from observing the behavior. If I´m wrong, hopefully someone will correct my assumtions.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I’ll try to adjust and see how it goes..,
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

@ zaphod
I use Navy2 strictly for summing on subgroups and one instance on the 2bus (either ModBus or VinBus). No EQ or compression, preamps only.

My question is do you plan on rolling out a ‘preamp only’ standalone version? Like how you did in Sand3/Cola?

Would that free up any additional CPU to use for other plugins?

I’m just trying to get the most out Navy2 for the (relatively small) job I’m using it for (I only want the 8 subgroups)

Which instance of Navy2 requires the lowest CPU hit?

(Does Strip require less power than EQ, etc)

Or are they all basically wanting to use the same amount of power?

My guess is that huge shiny GUI may be overkill for some of us..?

Please provide standalone only for simple, low CPU console summing!

Thank you so much

Last edited by cjack2020; 3 weeks ago at 11:00 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack2020 View Post
@ zaphod
I use Navy2 strictly for summing on subgroups and one instance on the 2bus (either ModBus or VinBus). No EQ or compression, preamps only.

My question is do you plan on rolling out a ‘preamp only’ standalone version? Like how you did in Sand3/Cola?

Would that free up any additional CPU to use for other plugins?

I’m just trying to get the most out Navy2 for the (relatively small) job I’m using it for (I only want the 8 subgroups)

Which instance of Navy2 requires the lowest CPU hit?

(Does Strip require less power than EQ, etc)

Or are they all basically wanting to use the same amount of power?

My guess is that huge shiny GUI may be overkill for some of us..?

Please provide standalone only for simple, low CPU console summing!

Thank you so much
I think Giancarlo already answered this when it is was asked when Navy2 first came out. iirc, he said there was no difference in CPU use between a Navy2 preamp standalone and the EQ section, so they just didn't include a preamp standalone. I just use the EQ when I want the pres.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I think Giancarlo already answered this when it is was asked when Navy2 first came out. iirc, he said there was no difference in CPU use between a Navy2 preamp standalone and the EQ section, so they just didn't include a preamp standalone. I just use the EQ when I want the pres.
Ah... thank you. I think what happened was I read this a couple days back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A. View Post
One instance of the Navy2 Strip uses about 2% of my CPU and one instance of Navy2 EQ uses 100%
and thought maybe I could find an instance within the bundle that’s not as hungry.

So yeah even if he answered it I still don’t want it to be true. Wishful thinking. :(

I’ll make do with it..it’s worth it.

Thx
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those not following the other Acustica threads, the newer acquas have a different nominal operating level. So if you would like the analog harmonics of the older plugins then at minimum you should be peaking around 0 on the meters.

1 kHz sine wave tone at 0.0 dBFS. NAVY2:

I do not own Plugin Doctor or VST Plugin Analyzer so this measurement may not take into account the truncation trick acqua plugins use to save on RAM/CPU. Peak at 0 and you should get the analog goodness.

1 kHz sine wave at 18 decibels over 0.0 dBFS. NAVY2:

See https://imgur.com/a/qRAP4oK for more measurements.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
For those not following the other Acustica threads, the newer acquas have a different nominal operating level. So if you would like the analog harmonics of the older plugins then at minimum you should be peaking around 0 on the meters.

1 kHz sine wave tone at 0.0 dBFS. NAVY2:

I do not own Plugin Doctor or VST Plugin Analyzer so this measurement may not take into account the truncation trick acqua plugins use to save on RAM/CPU. Peak at 0 and you should get the analog goodness.

1 kHz sine wave at 18 decibels over 0.0 dBFS. NAVY2:

(took out your images not to make the quote so long)

I was just messing around with this last night. When you say 0.0 dBFS do you mean on the NAVY2 meters or your DAW's? I'm assuming you mean the internal NAVY2 ones as sending a -18 dBFS tone gets the plugin meters to 0.

I was also noticing that adjusting the internal INPUT control is slightly different to hitting NAVY2 with 0dBFS (DAW) vs hitting NAVY2 with -18dBFS (DAW) then cranking up the INPUT to +18 so I'm not really sure what is correct.

I tried the same thing with SAND3 (pix attached) first is Sand3 PRE set to Bus 1 feeding the plugin with 0dBFS from the DAW, 2nd is Feeding it at -18 with no input gain correct and third is -18 with +24 correction (not sure why I didn't do +18 )

I don't have a lot of Aqua experience and was trying to wrap my head around it so any insight is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica Audio releases Navy2: the MODERN DREAMWARE ANTHOLOGY.-1.-sand3-bus-1-0dbfs-no-input-gain.jpg   Acustica Audio releases Navy2: the MODERN DREAMWARE ANTHOLOGY.-2.-sand3-bus-1-18-dbfs-no-input-gain.jpg   Acustica Audio releases Navy2: the MODERN DREAMWARE ANTHOLOGY.-3.-sand3-bus-1-18-dbfs-24db-input.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
(took out your images not to make the quote so long)

I was just messing around with this last night. When you say 0.0 dBFS do you mean on the NAVY2 meters or your DAW's? I'm assuming you mean the internal NAVY2 ones as sending a -18 dBFS tone gets the plugin meters to 0.

I was also noticing that adjusting the internal INPUT control is slightly different to hitting NAVY2 with 0dBFS (DAW) vs hitting NAVY2 with -18dBFS (DAW) then cranking up the INPUT to +18 so I'm not really sure what is correct.

I tried the same thing with SAND3 (pix attached) first is Sand3 PRE set to Bus 1 feeding the plugin with 0dBFS from the DAW, 2nd is Feeding it at -18 with no input gain correct and third is -18 with +24 correction (not sure why I didn't do +18 )

I don't have a lot of Aqua experience and was trying to wrap my head around it so any insight is appreciated
I've been using Acquas since the very first release (AQUAVOX) so don't feel bad. I am just as confused as you are. Less confused than I was a few days ago but still not 100%.

0.0 dBFS on the DAW level. But as you have discovered, it is still best to feed Acustica plugins with a healthy signal (somewhere between -24 and -6 dBFS average) then boost it internally with the input trim.

That way, you don't have to worry about adjusting the output gain knob or putting a second gain plugin after any of the Acustica Audio plugins. The trim takes care of that for you. Think of it as a drive or mojo knob on saturation plugins, because that's effectively what it is doing.

I'm still doing some testing tonight, this time feeding it commercial music. I can crank up the input trim to +18 usually without issue. Keep in mind most of the time this music peaks a little less than 0 dBFS (sometimes over, doh!) and has little dynamic range unlike tracks in a mix.

I never tried doing this before because...why would I? I expected the sweet spot to be where other analog modeled plugins fall not over 0.0 dBFS

So at this point, I am just going to treat +18 on the trim as the default spot where it will stay 95% of the time. If I think it needs a little something extra there is 12 more decibels to add to it. Overcomplicating it too much is just going to drive me crazy!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I picked up Navy 2 during the last sale and have been using it without a hitch until tonight, when some of the dials on the eq started acting wonky. By which, I mean that they would not stay at the values I would set them, but would instantly return to their home positions as soon as I released them. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
I picked up Navy 2 during the last sale and have been using it without a hitch until tonight, when some of the dials on the eq started acting wonky. By which, I mean that they would not stay at the values I would set them, but would instantly return to their home positions as soon as I released them. Anyone else experiencing this?
A common reason for this is deleting support files, such as samples. If you accidentally deleted, say, the 44.1 low shelf eq sample file, then a 44.1 session would act strange and the knob snaps back to a default value.

Try re-installing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Hi! Could you please submit a ticket with your issue and settings so we can try to replicate it?

https://acusticaudio.freshdesk.com/s...-desk-service-

Thank you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Hi! Could you please submit a ticket with your issue and settings so we can try to replicate it?

https://acusticaudio.freshdesk.com/s...-desk-service-

Thank you!
Done. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The problem seems to manifest in the LM and HM frequency control after toggling the Q button a few times.

I've reinstalled the plugin, which had no effect.

Replacing the instance in the signal chain works until the Q button is toggled again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Done. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I seem to have resolved this issue. It appears that Navy 2 was having a conflict with some other plugin. I opened another instance of the same project with only Navy 2 and stock plugins and everything works beautifully. Now, I'm being watchful as I introduce different plugins to try and identify the culprit. Issue and ticket closed.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Is the price still discounted? Count me in if it is!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search