The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM
Old 26th September 2019
  #241
Here for the gear
Apparently I was late to the party. I see that the intro price has gone up $100 ... bad enough but, when I log into my IK account, I don’t see this advertised $50 coupon for owners of MODO bass — which includes me. So, instead of $100 more, it’s really $150 more?

I certainly meet the $99 threshold a few times over (SampleTank Max, Miroslav 2 etc.)

Anything I can do here?
Old 26th September 2019
  #242
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfslow View Post
Apparently I was late to the party. I see that the intro price has gone up $100 ... bad enough but, when I log into my IK account, I don’t see this advertised $50 coupon for owners of MODO bass — which includes me. So, instead of $100 more, it’s really $150 more?

I certainly meet the $99 threshold a few times over (SampleTank Max, Miroslav 2 etc.)

Anything I can do here?
I heard on a forum post quite a while back that the discount for crossgrade path will be applied when it is added to your cart but I might be wrong with my recollection, just thought you could try it. If not contact IK through your account.
Old 26th September 2019
  #243
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

I thought the discount only applied to pre-orders, meaning once the pre-order period is up, so is the chance to receive that crossgrade discount.
Old 26th September 2019
  #244
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I thought the discount only applied to pre-orders, meaning once the pre-order period is up, so is the chance to receive that crossgrade discount.
IIRC, it's not the first time they have kept the pre-order price for a while after the release.
I guess the only reason it would bother someone is if they pre-ordered and didn't like the product.
Old 26th September 2019
  #245
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
IIRC, it's not the first time they have kept the pre-order price for a while after the release.
I guess the only reason it would bother someone is if they pre-ordered and didn't like the product.
They had the intro price still going after MODO Drums was released, but I'm not sure about the MODO Bass crossgrade discount.
Old 28th September 2019
  #246
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
I heard on a forum post quite a while back that the discount for crossgrade path will be applied when it is added to your cart but I might be wrong with my recollection, just thought you could try it. If not contact IK through your account.
You heard correctly, it turns out. When I went to checkout, the $50 coupon was there.

I wanted to get the new Hammond at the same time but my Jam points were gone from the cart the second I added Modo Drum — no doubt because of the $50 coupon. That’s ok, I’ll get the organ on a separate invoice and apply my Jam points to it.

Still a little bummed that I’m paying $100 more because I waited a few days. I figured that the sale lasted through the 30th.

Oh well.
Old 13th November 2019
  #247
Gear Head
I feel bad for having paid so much money. This thing sounds horrible. Reminds me of a 90ies workstation synth. Just could not resist since I am such a fool for drum application. (Have/had ni abbey road, ad2,sd3,ssd5,battery,xo). Maybe I am missing something, but I am afraid I am not.
Old 13th November 2019
  #248
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
I feel bad for having paid so much money. This thing sounds horrible. Reminds me of a 90ies workstation synth. Just could not resist since I am such a fool for drum application. (Have/had ni abbey road, ad2,sd3,ssd5,battery,xo). Maybe I am missing something, but I am afraid I am not.
Which is your favourite out of them? XO is getting updates on the 19th I think but not much to the sequencer from what I can gather from the email sent out by XLN. I have been looking at Modo Drum for a while as I have a lot of the IK stuff including Modo Bass which is good. What do you feel is lacking in Modo Drum?
Old 13th November 2019
  #249
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Which is your favourite out of them? XO is getting updates on the 19th I think but not much to the sequencer from what I can gather from the email sent out by XLN. I have been looking at Modo Drum for a while as I have a lot of the IK stuff including Modo Bass which is good. What do you feel is lacking in Modo Drum?
XO is great. For acoustic drums I have been a loyal AD2 user since 2006. I love its ease of use and clear layout. But admittedly compared to SD3 it sounds like a recording from a smartphone. I work pretty hard to get SD3 into my workflow, I don’t really need 107 microphones and such a silly amount of reverb, but I am learning my way around. If you like punchy rock sounds, that do not need much more processing, take a look at ssd5. GUI dated and installation complicated, but still worth a shot imo.
Modo drum sound artificial to me and the reverb is super cheap. There are unpleasant resonances on the kit pieces, That make me want to turn off the speakers. Can’t believe I payed 349 €. Kind of pi**ed of, sorry.
Old 13th November 2019
  #250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
XO is great. For acoustic drums I have been a loyal AD2 user since 2006. I love its ease of use and clear layout. But admittedly compared to SD3 it sounds like a recording from a smartphone. I work pretty hard to get SD3 into my workflow, I don’t really need 107 microphones and such a silly amount of reverb, but I am learning my way around. If you like punchy rock sounds, that do not need much more processing, take a look at ssd5. GUI dated and installation complicated, but still worth a shot imo.
Modo drum sound artificial to me and the reverb is super cheap. There are unpleasant resonances on the kit pieces, That make me want to turn off the speakers. Can’t believe I payed 349 €. Kind of pi**ed of, sorry.
We are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like, you could pass your comments and feedback to the team to see what suggestions they have to help get you to where you want to be with MODO DRUM. They can also pass your comments to the proper persons to be looked into. Below is their contact link. Outside of contacting our team directly, I could offer some direct help. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us/

From what we've been hearing from users and reviewers (like Ask Audio, Sound Bytes, Professional Audio and others) alike is that MODO DRUM offers excellent sounds. Check out this quote from our most recent review from Keys magazine.

Quote:
You can say without exaggeration that IK Multimedia has achieved a breakthrough. To date, no-one else has managed to reproduce the complex sound behaviour of percussion instruments so realistically and in such a detail in real time. The sound quality, in combination with the great range of setting options, which really allow for in-depth fine tuning, makes MODO DRUM the absolute top choice. A big thumbs up for the MODO DRUM!

Click here for the full article.
Old 13th November 2019
  #251
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
We are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like, you could pass your comments and feedback to the team to see what suggestions they have to help get you to where you want to be with MODO DRUM. They can also pass your comments to the proper persons to be looked into. Below is their contact link. Outside of contacting our team directly, I could offer some direct help. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us/

From what we've been hearing from users and reviewers (like Ask Audio, Sound Bytes, Professional Audio and others) alike is that MODO DRUM offers excellent sounds. Check out this quote from our most recent review from Keys magazine.



Click here for the full article.
Thanks Ryan for chiming in ! I totally respect you stand behind your company. I have read some of the reviews you mentioned by the way.
But as a customer, who payed a premium price for a product I was expecting much more than what was delivered. I have drum software half the price, that in my humble opinion is better than modo. I understand no product is perfect and customers have different expectations and applications. But seldom I was so disappointed by such an expensive piece of software. If it had been 99€ - well I had said "**** happens ....."
Old 13th November 2019
  #252
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
We are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like, you could pass your comments and feedback to the team to see what suggestions they have to help get you to where you want to be with MODO DRUM. They can also pass your comments to the proper persons to be looked into. Below is their contact link. Outside of contacting our team directly, I could offer some direct help. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
My suggestion would be to bring in a known producer to create a 'mix-ready' preset pack. I think Modo is a 'Wow' type product but you do have to know 'where you want to go' sound wise.

As a long time user of SD2 and SSD4 I find Modo stands up and offers its own flavor. But hey...if one of them was perfect then there would not be competition or a million sample packs to chose from
Old 16th November 2019
  #253
Gear Maniac
 

An earlier post suggested using DearVR to replace the room sound in Modo Drum. I had some fun with it and have to agree that creating a room outside what is available in Modo can lead to the desired results!

Old 16th November 2019
  #254
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
I feel bad for having paid so much money. This thing sounds horrible. Reminds me of a 90ies workstation synth. Just could not resist since I am such a fool for drum application. (Have/had ni abbey road, ad2,sd3,ssd5,battery,xo). Maybe I am missing something, but I am afraid I am not.
I would not call Modo Drum horrible. In many ways it's quite awesome - the ability to change drum depth, the drum heads, damping, snare tension, snare-head tension, number of snare wires, pitch and so on. The fact that the drum sounds are completely modelled and there are no samples involved is genuinely amazing, quite a feat of programming and development for sure.

BUT..... I'm not really blown away by it. To my ears, the drums are somewhat synthetic and artificial sounding, a sort of caricature of real drums. I played real drums for 20 years in various "weekend-warrior" bands so I kind of know how they should sound, their characteristics and so on. And Modo Drums just doesn't convey the sound that I expect, they're just a bit plasticy and, well, not real (which I suppose they aren't).

Having said that, I just went back to take another listen to Modo Drum and the bit I like least is the snare drums - the toms I actually like a lot, the kicks are good but the snares are just like 808s or something, very very synthetic, not at all convincing. I think if I mute the snare and use something else, I would actually enjoy Modo Drum much more. I'll give that a go soon and see how that pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
Can’t believe I payed 349 €. Kind of pi**ed of, sorry.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that, I think I ended up paying £150 after intro prices, jam points and VAT.

As a product, I like Modo Drum a lot. Its UI is easy to use, it has a whole bunch of useful features, the cymbals are pretty good, the choice of drums is huge and it loads quickly. But the snare drums are just meh.
Old 16th November 2019
  #255
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

I think all the examples sound weird and different from any drums I've heard. Are there some real showcasing how it sounds in a mix with "normal" metal and rock?
Old 17th November 2019
  #256
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
As a product, I like Modo Drum a lot. Its UI is easy to use, it has a whole bunch of useful features, the cymbals are pretty good, the choice of drums is huge and it loads quickly. But the snare drums are just meh.
The cymbals are the only sampled parts I think whereas the drums are modelled.
Old 17th November 2019
  #257
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I would not call Modo Drum horrible. In many ways it's quite awesome - the ability to change drum depth, the drum heads, damping, snare tension, snare-head tension, number of snare wires, pitch and so on. The fact that the drum sounds are completely modelled and there are no samples involved is genuinely amazing, quite a feat of programming and development for sure.

BUT..... I'm not really blown away by it. To my ears, the drums are somewhat synthetic and artificial sounding, a sort of caricature of real drums. I played real drums for 20 years in various "weekend-warrior" bands so I kind of know how they should sound, their characteristics and so on. And Modo Drums just doesn't convey the sound that I expect, they're just a bit plasticy and, well, not real (which I suppose they aren't).
Maybe that's why I prefer Modo over the competition for my electronic rock/metal type stuff. I had not really thought about it in your terms but it makes sense! When all the instruments in my track are synthetic (except for guitars) the sampled VIs can be harder for me to 'fit' in the mix. Interesting.

No matter the VI I find myself always augmenting/layering snares in the mix. One day there will be the perfect sound (the one that is in my head but forever elusive!)
Old 18th November 2019
  #258
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

This video gets great results with little or no tweaking to the drum models and is also using an e-kit to trigger MODO DRUM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6jG90MLRE

Old 19th November 2019
  #259
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
This video gets great results with little or no tweaking to the drum models and is also using an e-kit to trigger MODO DRUM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6jG90MLRE

It's all about velocities! The grooves included with Modo seem mostly in the top velocity layers (100+) which definitely alters the 'tone'. Listening to this video played live you can hear the dynamics of the playing which in turn makes the drums sound natural.

Live played Midi paks and mix presets will go a long way in making the most of Modo.

Being able to convert the mapping to the sea of midi already available would go ALL THE WAY...
Old 26th November 2019
  #260
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Custom MIDI mapping is coming, too.
What's the ETA on the MIDI mapping?
Old 26th November 2019
  #261
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
What's the ETA on the MIDI mapping?
I'm told there is an update that is being tested and tweaked currently. I don't have an exact date as testing and such will have some variables.
Old 5th December 2019
  #262
Gear Maniac
 

Tis the season to have some fun with Modo. Currently experimenting with layering snare drums. Black oyster (close) Studio (OHs) Plexi (room: really the close sound in Modo placed in a 'room' using DearVR) sounding pretty 3D and killer!
Old 5th December 2019
  #263
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Tis the season to have some fun with Modo. Currently experimenting with layering snare drums. Black oyster (close) Studio (OHs) Plexi (room: really the close sound in Modo placed in a 'room' using DearVR) sounding pretty 3D and killer!
Nice! And we've got a cool update coming soon...
Old 5th December 2019
  #264
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Nice! And we've got a cool update coming soon...
Modo Drum has replaced SD2 and SS4 as my workhorse drum VI. It sounds so unique. Layering the snares as mentioned above got me over the hump in not having to dig around the sample bin. If the update includes the ability to layer shells in one instance of Modo Drum...AWESOME!

But I have a workaround and look forward to any new features that make Modo even better.
Old 5th December 2019
  #265
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
This video gets great results with little or no tweaking to the drum models and is also using an e-kit to trigger MODO DRUM
I've only just seen this video... I have to say Modo Drum sounded fabulous. The drumming wasn't great but Modo Drum was very impressive.

Looking forward to whatever update comes our way - new features are always welcome
Old 7th December 2019
  #266
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.


Changes from version 1.0.0:
  • Implemented Custom MIDI Mapping section
  • Compatible with macOS Catalina
  • Implemented Equalizer and Mixer Presets
  • Added Perspective selector in the Mixer section
  • Implemented Bus Renaming
  • Enabled Drag & Drop grooves in Cubase
  • Fixed potential Audio Unit crash when inserting MODO Drum with multi output
  • Fixed potential VST3 crash in Bandlab/Cakewalk
  • Fixed Drag & Drop ejecting MODO Drum in Studio One
  • Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
  • Fixed an issue where the trigger sync was not synced to DAW
  • General optimizations and bug fixes
Old 7th December 2019
  #267
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
The way I see it Peter is to provide for layering up to 8 tones per kit element (kick, snare, etc) with editing envelopes, gain etc. adding a transient shaper or envelope booster bit, and then concentrate sound design on the snares and cymbals. The tone snippets can originate from all kinds of samples, but the tone build is mainly modeled.
If you guys are seriously comparing to SSD5 and others and can then match the tone and feel more or less then you got an absolute winner.

The next step is then to incorporate synthetic and electronic and orchestral tone bits to allow designing the most original drum kits.

Also provide for a full percussion set (also pictured visually).
Old 10th December 2019
  #268
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.


Changes from version 1.0.0:
  • Implemented Custom MIDI Mapping section
  • Compatible with macOS Catalina
  • Implemented Equalizer and Mixer Presets
  • Added Perspective selector in the Mixer section
  • Implemented Bus Renaming
  • Enabled Drag & Drop grooves in Cubase
  • Fixed potential Audio Unit crash when inserting MODO Drum with multi output
  • Fixed potential VST3 crash in Bandlab/Cakewalk
  • Fixed Drag & Drop ejecting MODO Drum in Studio One
  • Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
  • Fixed an issue where the trigger sync was not synced to DAW
  • General optimizations and bug fixes
Hey Peter. Thank the team for the updates! Much appreciated. I currently have a cumbersome process for layering snares using Modo Drums which requires 3 instances of the plug. Not a big deal if either 1) I could easily remove all other drums/samples to make Modo 'lite' OR the preferred option 2) layer shells in 1 instance of Modo.

The pic attached shows my current goto Modo Snare layer which I've named SCB (Smack.Crack.Body.) Being able to mix/blend these in 1 Modo Drum would be amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM-modo-snare-layers-01.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #269
Gear Head
 

I'd really like to use this plug, but saw just before pulling the trigger it's cpu requirements (avx? whatever it's called). I'm using a 2008 MacPro, so unless I'm missing something, I see no way to use this plug with current system. I don't have the budget for a newer system that can handle my workflow, but I do see dirt cheap 2014 or so Mac Minis that might fit the cpu requirements, so...

Is there some way to use the Mini to run just this plug for a Logic session otherwise hosted on a more robust, but older mac?

If not, what is the absolute oldest, cheapest mac it can run on? If I can get a used one for a couple hundred bucks with no bells and whistles, and hook it up next to my main system, maybe I can work something out to sync sessions on both machines then bounce over to main system once dialed... or something along those lines. Not an ideal workflow by any means, but I'm not seeing another way to use Modo Drum.

Any suggestions how to proceed under these conditions?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #270
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo del Rio View Post
I'd really like to use this plug, but saw just before pulling the trigger it's cpu requirements (avx? whatever it's called). I'm using a 2008 MacPro, so unless I'm missing something, I see no way to use this plug with current system. I don't have the budget for a newer system that can handle my workflow, but I do see dirt cheap 2014 or so Mac Minis that might fit the cpu requirements, so...

Is there some way to use the Mini to run just this plug for a Logic session otherwise hosted on a more robust, but older mac?

If not, what is the absolute oldest, cheapest mac it can run on? If I can get a used one for a couple hundred bucks with no bells and whistles, and hook it up next to my main system, maybe I can work something out to sync sessions on both machines then bounce over to main system once dialed... or something along those lines. Not an ideal workflow by any means, but I'm not seeing another way to use Modo Drum.

Any suggestions how to proceed under these conditions?
According to Pro Tools Expert "It’s also worth noting that the earliest mac machines with AVX started around 2011" from https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...ording-studios

If buying something right at the edge of this timeline I'd suggest asking the seller to check (they also provide command line functions to check in that article).
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump