The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM
Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDroste View Post
Thank you very much. Jeff Walker is the singer and he’ll happily sing on any song demos or originals...

He did it in two takes then the overdubs then next song :-) we usually work on six songs

at4050 into an apogee duet
Cool thanks for the info. Does Jeff have a website?
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Addict

Here’s his contact info - about $300 per song
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM-60149e7b-596f-481f-8325-748716847f90.jpg  
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Maniac

A week into my deep dive here is a sample of my dual Modo Drum setup (warning: LOUD ). My hope is by version 3 I will be able to layer the kit in a single Modo Drum.

This is the 'Revenge' groove in Modo Drum (6/8 time sig / 90bpm). I did not change anything in the groove except increase velocity 10% to push my gating open (that's why the cymbal tails are missing at the end )

Note that the kit on the right is only triggering the shells and not the cymbals (can't remove them completely yet!).

The only sample not from MODO is my goto room snare sample. The Black Oyster and Plexi snare are the dominate (and again LOUD) snares that smack you in the face. Not meant to be a nice mix...just aggressive.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post

A week into my deep dive here is a sample of my dual Modo Drum setup (warning: LOUD ). My hope is by version 3 I will be able to layer the kit in a single Modo Drum.

This is the 'Revenge' groove in Modo Drum (6/8 time sig / 90bpm). I did not change anything in the groove except increase velocity 10% to push my gating open (that's why the cymbal tails are missing at the end )

Note that the kit on the right is only triggering the shells and not the cymbals (can't remove them completely yet!).

The only sample not from MODO is my goto room snare sample. The Black Oyster and Plexi snare are the dominate (and again LOUD) snares that smack you in the face. Not meant to be a nice mix...just aggressive.
Sounds great - nice choices - Be nice to see user kits shared in presets
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds great - nice choices - Be nice to see user kits shared in presets
Appreciate it. I would certainly share the preset if most of the processing was inside Modo. All the kit piece EQ and the first round of minimal compression is inside Modo as well as the main FX/Room sound. All the parallel bus processing is outside of Modo. For me when it comes to layering the drums it's about getting out of the pieces what you want and then filling in the spaces. You make interesting EQ choices to make them work! The top pic is the EQ of the Black Osyter snare and the bottom is the Plexi. The plexi is also tuned up 3.0 and the shell diameter and depth is set to compliment the Oyster snare. Same concept goes for the Kick and Toms...though I am still fiddling with the tunings and size parameters with those aspects of the kits.

EDIT: No other VI can shape the tone of the kit by simply adjusting the size/depth/dampening/tension/tuning of the snares like Modo. Outside of infinite round robin and the crazy articulations you can get out of the hats that feature has encouraged me to dig in with Modo and ultimately replace my other VI drummers with my customized kit(s). Can't do that until tthey address the mapping issue. I'm not a drummer and don't know where the heel/stick/shank hits are in most of my midi!
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM-dual-modo-snare-eq.jpg  
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Appreciate it. I would certainly share the preset if most of the processing was inside Modo. All the kit piece EQ and the first round of minimal compression is inside Modo as well as the main FX/Room sound. All the parallel bus processing is outside of Modo. For me when it comes to layering the drums it's about getting out of the pieces what you want and then filling in the spaces. You make interesting EQ choices to make them work! The top pic is the EQ of the Black Osyter snare and the bottom is the Plexi. The plexi is also tuned up 3.0 and the shell diameter and depth is set to compliment the Oyster snare. Same concept goes for the Kick and Toms...though I am still fiddling with the tunings and size parameters with those aspects of the kits.
What are you using for parallel buss processing?
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What are you using for parallel buss processing?
I'm a PA subscriber so a ton of their processors. But the majority of the heavy lifting that effects the tone of the drums are modest amounts of compression from the Townhouse Comp (shells bus reacting to snare) into Lindell TE-100 EQ and Lindell 324e Comp (low-band reacting 80hz of kick. mid-band reacting190 hz of snare and hi-band 500hz up to top end info) into the SPL IRON (All-drums. This is where the cymbals get compressed into the drum mix). Really slamming the SPL Iron and then mixing that into taste (which is pulling up the low-end 'Air' of the kick and thwack of the snare). IK Tape 24 is the final layer followed by the Elysia Alpha Comp (on upward expand) to push the sound into the limiter (which is BX Masterdesk)

Really the best tutorial (which really isn't a tutorial in the usual sense) is Eric Valentine's walk thru of a drum mix here. Subtlety is not his strong suit and he shows how he manipulates the drums to get the tones he wants.

Last edited by JfromRVA; 26th August 2019 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: clearer info on multi-band comp settings
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm a PA subscriber so a ton of their processors. But the majority of the heavy lifting that effects the tone of the drums are modest amounts of compression from the Townhouse Comp (shells bus reacting to snare) into Lindell TE-100 EQ and Lindell 324e Comp (low-band reacting 80hz of kick. mid-band reacting190 hz of snare and hi-band 500hz up to top end info) into the SPL IRON (All-drums. This is where the cymbals get compressed into the drum mix). Really slamming the SPL Iron and then mixing that into taste (which is pulling up the low-end 'Air' of the kick and thwack of the snare). IK Tape 24 is the final layer followed by the Elysia Alpha Comp (on upward expand) to push the sound into the limiter (which is BX Masterdesk)

Really the best tutorial (which really isn't a tutorial in the usual sense) is Eric Valentine's walk thru of a drum mix here. Subtlety is not his strong suit and he shows how he manipulates the drums to get the tones he wants.

Thank you so much - will watch the video...
Ever use the te-100 on bass ? Works great
Old 27th August 2019
500 series nutjob

interested but without mapping have to pass. :(
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here’s his contact info - about $$$ per song
Its' ok to let someone know of contact details for future work, (perhaps a private message would be the go).
But if I were the singer in this case, I would not like my fees stated in an open forum. A wording of "reasonable" or "very reasonable rates" would be more appropriate. I think that should be nobody's business apart from the contractor.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
Its' ok to let someone know of contact details for future work, (perhaps a private message would be the go).
But if I were the singer in this case, I would not like my fees stated in an open forum. A wording of "reasonable" or "very reasonable rates" would be more appropriate. I think that should be nobody's business apart from the contractor.
I asked him if he was OK with publishing the rates and he said OK I understand recording studios charge different prices he charges a flat rate for everyone…
Old 28th August 2019
Perhaps the entire topic of musicians/rates/etc. should go to private messages. This is a thread about MODO drums.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
interested but without mapping have to pass. :(
The requests have been relayed and it is on the roadmap (pun intended - and on-topic!)
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Really enjoying the depth available with the skin, shell, and play styles available. I think the close-mic signals (which are key here IMO) are holding up to MODO Bass quality. Overheads and rooms can be faked to taste easy enough using these channels and some other tools...

I think a step sequencer would be a really sweet addition. I've never, ever used a library groove for anything... But a step sequencer that allows access to the playing depth available here, with some humanization/variations in there, could serve to bring out the sweet qualities of this product with more ease for those sessions when you need to send the drummer home kinda early...

Also an audio sidechain input on the velocity control (a la Jamstix) could really open things up. Easy enough to do this manually in most DAW's, but having that kinda thing integrated could add a lot of value.

Loving it, though!
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Finally cracked at the weekend and bought this - first time it's been cheaper to buy something directly from IK using my jam points than a dealer (but let's not open that can of worms). £150 all in, which is a sizeable investment but about the same as I paid for the NI 80's Drums about 10 years ago that I stopped using about 9.5 years ago!!!

This thing is super deep in what can be done. Setting up a simple loop and going through all the presets is a whole bunch of fun, and really shows off what this thing is capable of doing. The way the sound changes based on shell depth and width is really natural, the sympathetic tom resonance is exactly how I remember things (I played real drums for over 20 years), just so many tweaks, some subtle, some obvious.... so much to learn. Of course, more cymbal choices would be very welcome (specifically hi-hats and rides) but what there is is pretty damn great.

Heavy on the CPU for sure, but that just has to be accepted. Bottom line: loving it!
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you both for the kind words and glad you enjoy MODO DRUM!

Dancetech did two more MODO DRUM videos, both based on a Queen cover. First is the song, second is the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAhJn6qOfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdR6Z0TG80

Old 30th August 2019
Gear Addict

Last one: Modo Drums
Attached Files

Don't You Forget About Me FINAL.mp3 (9.92 MB, 2313 views)

Old 31st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Finished up the deep dive and now have a fully mix ready Big Rock Dual Modo Drum Kit! Now patiently waiting for the mapping update
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Can anybody that owns both Modo Drums and Superior Drummer 3 chime in with their views/comparisons in terms of strengths and weaknesses between the two.

Are they complimentary to each other or is there a definite preference?
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
Can anybody that owns both Modo Drums and Superior Drummer 3 chime in with their views/comparisons in terms of strengths and weaknesses between the two.

Are they complimentary to each other or is there a definite preference?
Because Modo Drum is a hybrid of samples and synthesis (on the shells only as I understand it) it is difficult to compare cross platforms. SD3 is a truly self-contained environment (though you can route out and process outside SD3 and Modo). Modo still lacks some basic functionality for IK to claim Modo as a complete standalone workspace inside the VI plug (and they have not contradicted that point here as of yet). No transient controls in a drum VI or mapping for the sea of midi out there makes one wonder who was included in the beta testing.

But I was so blown away with Modo Bass that I bought Modo Drum on belief. It has not disappointed on sound! No other VI let's you take control of the shells like Modo can and literally gives you infinite combinations with layering snares and shaping kicks and toms. As a long time user of SD and Slate I have now put those on the shelf because Modo gets the tone right for me faster for the things that matter most. Shells.

I know people want to change mic positions and twiddle with the room...but seriously. The average listener wants to here Kick/Snare or Snare/Kick. No one says wow that room reflection is SO SWEET! It might be to an experienced engineer but it's something the listener would never notice if it was there or not.

Modo helps me make music faster and it will become a complete production product for me when they get their act together on at the very least...mapping/midi learn (seriously) You have created this amazing product that trips on it's feet for a BASIC function. .

IK has a winner here. Hopefully they fill in the blanks soon (but not holding my breath). Just dealing with the short falls because the SOUND is too tastey to pass up.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:

IK has a winner here. Hopefully they fill in the blanks soon (but not holding my breath). Just dealing with the short falls because the SOUND is too tastey to pass up.
Loving it here, too, sounds significantly better than anything else I have for drums. The onboard is not bad at all, but setting up templates with ModoDrum sending out buses to the DAW is something I'll be doing next. The overheads signal for me always gets sent out and using DearReality DearVR Pro to create a higher quality "space".

Critical to me is more low level dynamics for the snares for better ghost notes and soft to loud rolls, etc. Also what would add to the realism is in the high hat.... more closed high hat response, i.e. gradient in foot pressure in the closed position. Makes a big difference especially in more nuanced stuff in many styles.

The mapping I know is critical to many, but I just make the maps in Nuendo or
Cubase anyway and am not currently jamming ModoDrum into an existing layered template or anything like that.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
Loving it here, too, sounds significantly better than anything else I have for drums. The onboard is not bad at all, but setting up templates with ModoDrum sending out buses to the DAW is something I'll be doing next. The room for me always gets sent out and using DearReality DearVR Pro to create a higher quality "room".
I have DearVR Pro as well. Are you sending the current 'room' from Modo to DearVR or are you sending a sub-mix without the Modo Room to DearVR? Certainly a technique I want to explore. Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
I have DearVR Pro as well. Are you sending the current 'room' from Modo to DearVR or are you sending a sub-mix without the Modo Room to DearVR? Certainly a technique I want to explore. Thanks!
I'm not in my studio at the moment, but I realized I meant to say the overheads get sent out, not the room. I don't use their room at all, I turn that off. And sending a stereo signal to VR Pro is a little more involved than a regular reverb. It is designed to place a mono signal in space. Use two sends to two VR Pros. One handles Left, one handles Right. VR Pro has a slider to receive from far right to far left. Set them up for each and also of course set the room placement to far Left and far Right, and just choose your distance and room/hall type. Man, it is so realistic. I use added reverb if needed. Small and Medium recording studio room usually does it for me. Its just like you are in the studio space.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
I'm not in my studio at the moment, but I realized I meant to say the overheads get sent out, not the room. I don't use their room at all, I turn that off. And sending a stereo signal to VR Pro is a little more involved than a regular reverb. It is designed to place a mono signal in space. Use two sends to two VR Pros. One handles Left, one handles Right. VR Pro has a slider to receive from far right to far left. Set them up for each and also of course set the room placement also to far Left and far Right, and just choose your distance and room/hall type. Man, it is so realistic. I use added reverb if needed. Small and Medium recording studio room usually does it for me. Its just like you are in the studio space.
Thank you! Going to work on this.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Why is the download 7 gig if its physical modelling???
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSponsor View Post
Why is the download 7 gig if its physical modelling???
The drums are physically modelled, the cymbals are sampled.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
The drums are physically modelled, the cymbals are sampled.
ah ok, thats a lorra symbal samples!
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I like what I hear and see but I am gonna use this for e-drums primarily and the uncertainty of not having good progressive metal sounds out of the box, midi mapping, and the steep price is a bit of a no go for me, sadly.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
I like what I hear and see but I am gonna use this for e-drums primarily and the uncertainty of not having good progressive metal sounds out of the box, midi mapping, and the steep price is a bit of a no go for me, sadly.
You can hear the sounds (audio demos and videos) on our site, and we have a video showing how easy MODO DRUM works with e-drums so you should be in the clear. Custom MIDI mapping is coming, too.

The price is in line with other drum products, most of which come with less for the equivalent price or more.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick reply, I see what I'll do!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search